It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

African-American couple upset over words written on IHOP receipt

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Holy crap Batman! So the couple is upset because instead of putting a name or other identifier on the reciept, the clerk put BLACK PEOPLE. Wow, ONLY In Texas.. I will be very curious if this turns into a law suite of discrimination, or if they try to settle out of court. Is this PC? Is this just being inflated? What would you think if it happened to you ATS, insert (color/race/body type, or other descriptive's) H E R E.

Lets here it ATS!!!!! Are they throwing the race card, or do they have a legitimate case here?

An African-American couple left an Austin, Texas IHOP upset after seeing what they say is a racist label on their receipt, Fox 7 reported Monday. Rolman Sparkman and his girlfriend Arainia Brown say they were given the receipt with the words "BLACK PPL" written at the top.

They say what suprised them most was that their waiter, Dwyane Williams, was also black.

"People being racist - and it's your own people being racist toward you for no reason," said Sparkman. Brown, who has experience working in restruants, says race should never be used to identify customers. "We either put a number - a to-go - the color of their shirt, not their skin color," she said.

. . . . . . . . Ihop Reciept

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

I am more fascinated by what they ate at 3:00AM in the morning.

+21 more 
posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   
How is it racist?
They were people, they were black. I don't see how that's insulting.

+16 more 
posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I thought "black" was supposed to be the word that was not insulting?
Surely those who founded "Black Lives Matter" were not insulting themselves?
Or is the word "people" that has become objectionable.?

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Yeah, exactly. If you and I were there and would have said, 'Smoking hot couple that appeared to be having relations the entire time. And white.'

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Yup, it is pretty clear that the clerk was just identifying, do you think a law suite will come to fruition Buzz? Thanks for posting

a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

SERIOUSLY - I have 'heard stories' about OTHER people eating at WhataBurger in the weee hours... I am guilty of eating their french fries @ 0600 in my office when I used to eat that way

Thanks for posting

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   

When I worked for IHOP, we servers would identify customers by table numbers, not by their appearances. I would like to see the other receipts, and how they identify their other customers. (Fat truck driver) (Meth "make out" couple) ???

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

MTE Wind!!!!!

Lets see some more- we would have to see other receipts in order to determine if this is just random, or not

thanks for posting

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   

What ever happened to printing table numbers on the ticket?

Has Common Core and our dumbed down educational system, made it too difficult for a wait person to understand a system of table numbers?

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Lol

Keep being stupid people. I have popcorn ready.

Racism from a black waiter. Oh how rich.

I guess they dont like being black or something. Thats what they are. I am white, asians are asian and so on.

Sorry, no generic cloned nondescript bodies to inhabit yet. Wait for it. Then you can be upset at being called human and ask that they call you sentient asshats instead.

EDIT TO ADD:
You deal with hundreds of people a day as a waiter. This is normal. Trust me, you just never see it because a good manager will set the POS to not print BOH messages on a ticket.

edit on 3 2 2016 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I don't think it is racist, but a very weird way for a restaurant to label their ticket. Seems like that is just asking for something like this to happen. What happened to just using a table number?

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I don't think if the customers were white the receipt would say 'white people'...

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I would like to here I hops side of the story.
Is this something the receipt printer kicked out or was it done by a cashier?

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
What happened to just using a table number?

It looks like this was a to go order so no table number.

I want to go here and see if Dwayne puts 'cracker ass cracker' for me.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

What ever happened to printing table numbers on the ticket?

Has Common Core and our dumbed down educational system, made it too difficult for a wait person to understand a system of table numbers?

Maybe the server was in a section where the table numbers went past the number "10".

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

BWHA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Sremmos80
What happened to just using a table number?

It looks like this was a to go order so no table number.

I want to go here and see if Dwayne puts 'cracker ass cracker' for me.

As a white woman, I'd like to see "cracker, nice ass, cracker"....
That would be totally acceptable

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I can tell you exactly what happened... The waiter who was also black, probably did it out of respect, as away of giving a nod to his "peeps". Happens all the time, in more direct ways.

'Black people' have more than embraced the term "black people", they use it to rally together, they use it in defense and defiance. It's a trendy ideology that's prevalent all over, not to all of course but the volume of that voice is louder than any wanting true equality. All this trend is serving to accomplish is self segregation.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I'm a black guy. Sometimes I'll meet clients for the first time, most who are invariably white. Often times, I'll meet them at a Starbucks. I've often debated do I say "I'm the black guy..." knowing in all likelihood, there won't be any other black guys at the Starbucks thus making it easy to identify me upon arrival OR do I use some other more generic descriptor like "I'm the guy with the blue dress shirt on"

I'm not hung up on race too much. I recognize and accept that it is an easy identifier. It doesn't bother me being referred to as the "black guy". I am black... just like I've referred to people as the "white guy", the "asian chick", etc.

I guess context is always important.

In this setting, I can't really see why the need for the descriptor, but then again it could have just been done on whim and no intent to offend.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   
The big thing to consider is at Bar rush did they deliver the right food to the right table?

I see nothing wrong with identifying people by traits to keep things straight. I would probably have Bibs written on my receipt there since I wear Bibs most times because of a hernia surgery that limits my use of a belt and regular Blue Jeans.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join