It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

African-American couple upset over words written on IHOP receipt

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: BIGPoJo
a reply to: ReadLeader

Looks printed not written.

But that is just my opinion.

So it was the cash register that made the distinction? Rise of the machines.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

originally posted by: yorkshirelad
Wow this thread shows perfectly why racism is so bad in the states, It's the unbelievable statements by people who don't realise the veiled racism that identification is. The comment "they are black so it's not racist" Sheesh !!!!!!

The fact that those CUSTOMERS have been identified as being different due to the colour of their skin IS RACIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FOR FECKS SAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Simple question.

"Would it be sane and productive for a police dispatcher to put out an All Points Bulletin, "Be on the lookout for a 6 foot male wanted in the connection of an armed robbery." Should the police stop every male to find the perp? Seriously, this is getting ridiculous!

"Veiled Racism" what a hoot!

Surely you're not suggesting this is the same thing? An accurate description of an at large suspect is essential.
A description of the couple ordering the rooty tooty fresh and fruity is not.
Veiled ?? Some people don't even realise they are racist.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Where does it stop. Fat guy. Bearded lady, bald man, noisey kid ??? ??? ???
It couldn't always be Nuns and kittens, happy family, cute young couple etc...
No descriptions are necessary. Table 1 2 3 or A B C is that so hard?

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

originally posted by: seeker1963

originally posted by: yorkshirelad
Wow this thread shows perfectly why racism is so bad in the states, It's the unbelievable statements by people who don't realise the veiled racism that identification is. The comment "they are black so it's not racist" Sheesh !!!!!!

The fact that those CUSTOMERS have been identified as being different due to the colour of their skin IS RACIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FOR FECKS SAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Simple question.

"Would it be sane and productive for a police dispatcher to put out an All Points Bulletin, "Be on the lookout for a 6 foot male wanted in the connection of an armed robbery." Should the police stop every male to find the perp? Seriously, this is getting ridiculous!

"Veiled Racism" what a hoot!

Surely you're not suggesting this is the same thing? An accurate description of an at large suspect is essential.
A description of the couple ordering the rooty tooty fresh and fruity is not.
Veiled ?? Some people don't even realise they are racist.

What's the difference other than perception?

Or are you so determined to categorize people based upon how you have been programmed?

It is dishonest and wrong to try and create new categories of racism. It either is racist or it isn't! Creating a new adjective to fit more people into the category doesn't necessarily make it true.....

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

I'm not programmed but nice deflection. I see that a lot on ATS.
I'm pretty sure that unless you're a census taker identifying someone by race is racist. That's not new or complicated.
When skin color is right up there with eye or hair color in importance of what you focus on then you're moving in the right direction. Til then ...

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: seeker1963

I'm not programmed but nice deflection. I see that a lot on ATS.
I'm pretty sure that unless you're a census taker identifying someone by race is racist. That's not new or complicated.
When skin color is right up there with eye or hair color in importance of what you focus on then you're moving in the right direction. Til then ...

I gave you a choice, thanks for answering!

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
How is it racist?
They were people, they were black. I don't see how that's insulting.

Exactly. Every time something like this comes up, it seems entirely counter-productive. It's like they're saying themselves that there's something wrong with being black.

So someone said you're black. Are you saying there's something wrong with black people?

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: ReadLeader

Holy crap Batman! So the couple is upset because instead of putting a name or other identifier on the reciept, the clerk put BLACK PEOPLE. Wow, ONLY In Texas.. I will be very curious if this turns into a law suite of discrimination, or if they try to settle out of court. Is this PC? Is this just being inflated? What would you think if it happened to you ATS, insert (color/race/body type, or other descriptive's) H E R E.

Lets here it ATS!!!!! Are they throwing the race card, or do they have a legitimate case here?

An African-American couple left an Austin, Texas IHOP upset after seeing what they say is a racist label on their receipt, Fox 7 reported Monday. Rolman Sparkman and his girlfriend Arainia Brown say they were given the receipt with the words "BLACK PPL" written at the top.

They say what suprised them most was that their waiter, Dwyane Williams, was also black.

"People being racist - and it's your own people being racist toward you for no reason," said Sparkman. Brown, who has experience working in restruants, says race should never be used to identify customers. "We either put a number - a to-go - the color of their shirt, not their skin color," she said.

. . . . . . . . Ihop Reciept

Well, first, it was a black person who wrote it.

Second, there was a case several months back of people writing such a thing about white people on a receipt in a diner, and a bunch of SJWs were saying it was no problem, and not offensive.

Que the SJWs now flipping to the other side and providing some *deep* analysis of how this is related to structural racism, so on and so forth.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 06:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Prezbo369
I don't think if the customers were white the receipt would say 'white people'...

Except that did happen in another case, and it was posted on social media.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I've worked in so many kitchens, the waitstaff ALWAYS do something like this. I've seen everything from, "super hot" "great hair" to, "fat guy" and, "balding lady" on those slips. Usually though, the customer receipt would read a table number. I'm not sure if they always changed it, or customer slips just print like that, but it sounds like someone forgot to change it here. I can't say for sure, but I really think it was probably just the easiest way to identify them.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

maybe it should have been darky.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 08:30 PM
link   
ummm you cant use table numbers on a to go order

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: evenkeel

But you sure can use provocative names to describe your patrons.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 09:09 PM
link   
They normally ask me for my name and put that on it.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 09:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn

That so makes me want to go to IHOP and give ridiculous names.

I think I will be a Frenchman named Guy Blanc.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 09:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: ChesterJohn

That so makes me want to go to IHOP and give ridiculous names.

I think I will be a Frenchman named Guy Blanc.

I might try Merde Tete.

I have an "outrageous" Franch Oxcent!

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Imagine the receipt had said "Jews".

Would a Jewish couple have been overly sensitive or justifiably indignant?

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 04:21 AM
link   
I think the real reason they're upset is that restaurants in general are super racist. My experience with this is in Texas specifically. I've posted online before about volunteering to take "black" tables because everyone else said "they never tip" or whatever. All I had to do was treat them like every other table (duh) and rake in awesome tips. I was never stiffed by a "black" table & they typically tipped above average. In fact, the only table that ever ripped me off was four white businessmen in suits & ties. It disgusted me how all the other waiters acted - they were hurting their own tips by being such assholes.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 05:12 AM
link   

If click the link at the bottom of the article .............More from fox 7 you will see the guy who wrote it was black.

I think they should stick to numbers like someone in the thread said.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 06:17 AM
link   

do you think a law suite will come to fruition Buzz? Thanks for posting

I suppose they could call Saul Goodman - but even he would tell them it's a frivolous suit that would get thrown out.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join