It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

for the wrist watch lovers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 07:57 PM
link   
hello all.
i know these days everyone has a cell phone so that is pretty much their time piece.
for me though i have to have a watch on my wrist. been that way my entire life.

ive had several that i thought were decent through the years.
had a nice one made by relic. had a nice bulova. a seiko.

i am not big on spending money on name brand #. clothes/shoes.
i wear metatarsal boots most of the time and get my clothes from wal mart or goodwill.

i really want to have a nice watch though. something more well made than what you would get at dakota watch co. something with some weight to it.
i will never be able to afford a tag heuer or a patek phillipe...no big deal.

so i was checking out
www.thewatchery.com and i found this

www.thewatchery.com...

the invicta subaqua.
$189

what do you wear? whats your fav? what do you want?

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

I've always loved nice time pieces. I splurged and bought a Panerai 11 years ago. I don't have any other fancy jewelry, so figured I might as well get something I want.

The other watches on my bucket list are:

Rolex Explorer II
IWC Big Pilot
Panerai Radiomir

However, they are all expensive so not sure if I will ever get to own any of these.

I bought my wife a Shinola for her birthday this year. It is well made. I think it was about $500.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 08:04 PM
link   
there is always the 'replica' route. aka knock offs.

i tell you what though. a guy i used to work with sold knock offs and they were damn fine pieces. of course the knock off rolly is not gonna be as kick ass as the real deal but there are some fine knock offs out there.

like this brietling chronomat
www.perfectwatches.cn...

this legit bulova is nice

www.amazon.com...=sr_1_12?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1455242587&sr=1-12&nodeID=7147441011& refinements=p_89%3ABulova

i just want something well made and something with some weight to it

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

nice man.
i hear you with the prices. would be sweet to have a bad ass tag heuer or a patek on my wrist.
not gonna happen though.

another nice invicta

www.amazon.com...=sr_1_35?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1455242726&sr=1-35&nodeID=714744 1011%2C7147441011&keywords=invicta+watches+for+men

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 08:13 PM
link   
kind of have an on hard(yes thats how i say it...thank you gary busey) for this citizen too

www.thewatchery.com...

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Just a tip, if you're going to order from The Watchery, be quick about it. Shops are known to buy out their low priced stock and resell for their own profit.

edit on 11-2-2016 by Atsbhct because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I bought a fake Tag when I was college. It looked pretty convincing. I went on a trip to Geneva, Switzerland went to the Tourneau store while there to look at watches. The salesman thought it was real.

I forgot to take it off one day and got into a hot tub. The face of it promptly filled up with water. LOL.

The fakes are getting pretty convincing. You really have to know what to look for to spot them nowadays.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Movado's are really nice and have an affordable to expensive price range.

Here are a few mens models on overstock

edit on 11-2-2016 by RainbowPhoenix because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I'm a welder, I also own an invicta, while it works well mine has a reoccurring problem of getting grinding kerf in the button that controls the stop watch feature, I've had this happen 3 times now with the same watch and have to had that repaired twice. I prefer 100% mechanical watch and dont carry my cell while welding so to me my watch is an important piece of gear.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 09:06 PM
link   
That looks nice.

I can't wear a watch. The damn things always break for some reason.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Have to represent Detroit here with Shinola Watches. Yes, it's that Shinola, only they make high end watches, bicycles, and other fancy trinkets now instead of shoe polish.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: cmdrkeenkid

Yes, it's that Shinola

Well, people can't tell you that you don't know it from...the other thing.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I ware a Rolex Submariner, I bought my first one in the early 90's with money from a construction job bonus, $2,250.00. Back then I was doing a lot of cave diving in Nothern Florida. I wore it for about 15 years and sold it on eBay for a hundred dollars profit. I can't tell you how many decompression stops I struggled through with that old dove, watching the minutes slowly tic down.This was before dive computers and as a master diver I decided, if I am going to bet my ass on a watch, I better decide what my ass is worth. I am on my third one now, just a simple, super tuff, stainless Sub. It looks as good in the board room as it does in the open sea.
Don't let the advertising fool you, a Rolex isn't as accurate as a digital watch, but they are as tuff as hell.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 12:04 AM
link   
You know what, I would recommend a mechanical (wind up) watch.

You don't have to worry about replacing the battery, and it makes a satisfying little tick-tick sound.

I think the best watches are the classics, and I consider digital watches to be a crime against humanity.

You can easily pick up a vintage watch in top condition for not much money, and I think that's a better option than getting a cheap modern watch which won't last.

This is my 1927 Waltham watch with radium dial

The face is a bit natty from the radiation burns but it's a solid watch, it only cost me $600 (you can get cheaper vintage ones, maybe without the radium, for around $200 - $300) and this watch will run for another 90 years. The only thing is that mine is actually a men's watch, with a 25mm by 20mm face, which you'll notice is significantly smaller than modern men's watches.

You can vintage Bulovas for good prices too, Waltham is a good brand as well, hey you could even a watch worn by a Nazi!

I really think that a watch is something you should spend money on, as in it's worth saving up for a good one. I personally would not buy a modern watch for less than 10k, which is why vintage watches are a good choice (you can get vintage Rolexes for like $2,000), plus you get bragging rights about having a cool watch unlike what everyone else is wearing, and of course you do not need to spend into the thousands.

Admittedly, part of my watch elitism is brought on by distrust of modern companies and their tendency to make things with an expiry date, like how a brand new car can only be expected to run for a few years before it'll need major servicing.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 04:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
i know these days everyone has a cell phone so that is pretty much their time piece.

I don't get that at all.
So you're running to catch a train, and you want to know whether you're going to make it easily, or whether you need to push a little faster.
Which is easier- a slight twist on the arm and glancing down at the wrist?
Or wrestling a cell phone out of your pocket, switching it on, holding it up so that you can see the screen, dropping it, and missing the train because you lose a minute and a half doubling back to pick it up?
Somtimes the old and simple ways are really the more efficient.
edit on 12-2-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 06:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
hello all.
for me though i have to have a watch on my wrist. been that way my entire life.

ive had several that i thought were decent through the years.
had a nice one made by relic. had a nice bulova. a seiko.

i am not big on spending money on name brand #. clothes/shoes.
i wear metatarsal boots most of the time and get my clothes from wal mart or goodwill.

i really want to have a nice watch though. something more well made than what you would get at dakota watch co. something with some weight to it.
i will never be able to afford a tag heuer or a patek phillipe...no big deal.

so i was checking out
www.thewatchery.com and i found this

www.thewatchery.com...

the invicta subaqua.
$189

what do you wear? whats your fav? what do you want?

I currently wear a Gold / SS GMT Master II $ 13.700 Great watch for the ego but not worth the money.
Marathon Watches (3) All Automatics. Two Seiko Divers. A Tag Heuer

There are dozens of GOOD watches on that site within your price range, many less expensive.

Eco-Drive Cit

Kinetic, Automatic or Solar Seiko

Automatic Red Line

Automatic Swiss Legend - Not real impressed with these but miles ahead of an Invicta

Frankly you couldn't pay me to wear a Invicta. I will also NEVER buy a Quartz ( battery ) watch as well
as any Replica, they are IMHO crap that you will soon regret.

Not flashy, but I think the perfect watch is a Casio Atomic Solar. No batteries to replace, perfect time and
like magic does away with that annoying day light savings time nonsense. Happy hunting.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I love watches! I have [ mumbles under breath..39.. ] "What?!!"
Ok! Ok! I have 39 watches.

One of these

One of these. Beautiful craftmanship. The crystal and body are curved to fit your wrist.

And this. These are HUGE. The face is about 1 1/2 inches across.

2 Vostok, several Croton and other assorted brands and makes. My every day is a Swiss Military Hanowa or the Seiko.
edit on 12-2-2016 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 08:40 AM
link   
By the way, if you're looking for a good every day watch with long battery life, the Invicta Morgan Diver is a good choice. I've got one and when they say "10 year battery life" they mean it. Had mine for about 7 and it's still going and as accurate as the day I got it.

edit on 12-2-2016 by DAVID64 because: typo

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I view watches as a form of mechanical art. My Panerai has a clear back case so you can see the movement. It just amazes me looking at all the little detail. Kind of steampunk like.

As someone mentioned earlier, fine time pieces don't really keep great time compared to say any cheap digital watch. However, that isn't the point. The point is the beauty, craftsmanship, and mechanical genius that go into making a watch. I chose my Panerai because I liked the look of it and at the time it wasn't a well known brand outside of watch aficionados. I also liked that they are made in small numbers. Many hold their value due to scarcity and most of the limited edition models tend to appreciate rapidly.

I like some Rolexes, but they are kind of gauche to me in a way. Seems like every sales guy who had a good month buys a Rolex Sub. They know nothing about the history of the brand, etc. Just "Hey, my watch cost more than your car..."

I hope to pass my Panerai down to my son. I've beat the hell out of it. Wear it every day. Have taken it in the ocean, shower, pools, dirt, etc with no issues. When I wind it every morning it kind of feels like I winding up my day to begin.

If you ever have a few grand laying around, a nice watch purchase is well worth the money imho. You can find used top tier brands for around $2-$3k in good condition. Buying new, you'll probably need to spend $6-$10k though for a good starter model.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I like some of the ferrari/ hublot watches too, I used to have one but it was stolen it was the best watch I ever had and was beautiful.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join