It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am in utter disbelief that this 'Flat-Earth' nonsense has gained some attention

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: daaskapital
Such theories shame our ancient and modern philosophers, scientists and researchers who dedicate(d) their lives to discovery and the unknown.

Aristotle, Plato, Eratosthenes, Laërtius, Pythagoras all concluded that the earth was not flat. They were all ancient Greeks. Thousands of years of philosophy and science undeniably proves flat earth theorists wrong. It baffles me how people could still subscribe to such folly beliefs.

It only shames them if the people who think these things continue to think them and don't learn. Those esteemed people you mention spent their lives endeavouring to learn and find truths. On the path to discovering truths we all make mistakes. It's the expectation we correct them.
edit on 1/28/2016 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: jonnywhite

Moriarty episodes were awesome.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
I wish the planet was flat. Then we could march all of the idiots to the edge and shove them off.

What I find so utterly perplexing, is that we can go to the moon, but we can't find the edge of the Earth. So realistically, we have to find the edge before we can shove them off. I picture it as a sort of "Pied Piper" thing. I wonder if it's near my house? That could explain why I keep missing things around here. I need to look up more. They might be floating above me.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 08:13 PM
link   
As a Christian I'm not surprised at all because a lot of this is driven by Christians. They've just hid for years but flat Earth often goes hand and hand with some creationists. So when others recently have pushed the lie, they're coming out of the woodworks. The flat earthers I know basically say the Bible says so and they believe science is trying to lead us from God. So the flat earth goes with that and ties more into god as being the creator and the Bible being true,....aka the firmament above the earth. Even met the crazies that don't believe in stars or anything else other than the moon & sun. Everything else is fake. One lady I talked to, a guest where I work, believes its a mirage set up by Satan. She even hands out a card with websites that talk about it. Flat Earth is just the beginning of the crazy.
edit on 28-1-2016 by blujack21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Maybe the planet is flat. That would account for all the missing socks and guitar picks that seem to have just fallen off the planet. Where do they go?

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   
We live on a planet that has billions of people who actually believe that some invisible magical being made it all in 7 days, got a woman pregnant so he could have a son on the planet to tell us to do nice things, got mad at us and flooded it all to punish us, but told some 900 year old guy to make a big boat and take penguins with him (in a desert) and says that if we don't love him and worship him, it's off to the middle of the planet where some evil dude lives, who got on the magical dudes wrong side once, just to torment us with a pitchfork for the rest of eternity.

Flat earth... hrmmm.. it's actually something we can disprove. but ^^ the mindset of those sort relies on belief alone.

Infantile beliefs to placate infants.

What a species. all this brain power and it's dopey crap that they prefer to entertain.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

Socks are stolen by the sock gnomes in your dryer, but not sure where your picks are going.
Where ever they are, I bet there will be plenty of Bic lighters with them.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

At this point i feel its only fair to let you know that my mission to locate the east and west poles was not entirely successful.
edit on 28-1-2016 by Tulpa because: Its bedtime

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 10:40 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

It's not a ball. The problem is it's close enough that the human eye can't tell the difference. If you take exact measurements you can see there is a difference though.

It's a 21KM difference bewteen the poles and equators, which I believe is close enough to be official pool ball. Impossible to see the difference with the naked eye.
edit on 28-1-2016 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 10:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
I wish the planet was flat. Then we could march all of the idiots to the edge and shove them off.

That's a terrible thing to say!

love it tho.

with my luck, i'd be in the front of the line.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 11:03 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23
Just tear the warning labels off of things. Let nature work things out.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 11:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon
a reply to: M4nWithNoN4me

Even some celebrities are getting in on the whole flat earth theory...

The general population of the world is de-evolving...

This crazyness makes the internet round table and finally gets tagged by a media person who thinks it makes a story because it has so many hits, when most of the hits are people reading it because it is so crazy. Celebrities pick up on it as a chance to get their name printed, which they consider more important than the content of why they are commenting. They look at such things as market opportunity. There is money in crazy.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Let them have their damn flat earth. Until they start killing others in the name of FE or constructing government institutions around it who cares if a small group of people want to believe it.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 12:02 AM
link   

I suspect that there are far more idiots around than we could ever imagine.As an example,a guy at work once asked me why the Earth doesn't fall down.He was serious.

(Just to clarify,the Earth IS falling,it's freefalling around the sun)

Also,I believe I read it on here,someone's friend freaked out because the Sun and Moon were visible at the same time.

If anyone thinks the world is flat,they must assume that all heavenly bodies are also flat.Why they all face us may be a mystery.Can these people not see that the light and shadow on the Moon tells us approximately where the Sun is?
Perhaps the Moon is a half-sphere?

Hope for the future of mankind fades with each passing day.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 12:09 AM
link   

why are we not allowed to fly over the south pole?

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 12:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: DOCHOLIDAZE1

why are we not allowed to fly over the south pole?

Who says we're not allowed to?

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 12:14 AM
link   
a reply to: DOCHOLIDAZE1
The plane will crash into it. That would cause the earth to tip over.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I don't know much about the flat earth stuff, is there a good 101 introduction somewhere so folks can gain some insight?
I don't think it's flat, but I would like to see what is making other people come to that conclusion. Can somebody toss us a good Flat Earth site or video?

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 12:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: twitchy
I don't know much about the flat earth stuff, is there a good 101 introduction somewhere so folks can gain some insight?
I don't think it's flat, but I would like to see what is making other people come to that conclusion. Can somebody toss us a good Flat Earth site or video?

Just google it. There a million things to check on (most are fundamentally flawed due to not understanding basic science or common sense).

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 12:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: TerryDon79
Just google it. There a million things to check on (most are fundamentally flawed due to not understanding basic science or common sense).

⬆What he said.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join