It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oh For The Love Of Odin's Beard! Can't People Admit They Are Wrong???

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
I believe ufos are really piloted by time traveling elementals.

EDIT:
Oops...wrong thread. Sorry, I was wrong.

Damn you!

Damn you and your sarcasm!

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I can't count how many times I have done something that seemed like a good idea at the time. I have no problem being honest with myself and others when I was wrong. I didn't know it was going to explode that big. Oopsie daisie.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

It is all your fault.

(not really)

But it is. All your fault.

( no, not really)

Curse you! It is all your fault!

(not really)

Really!

(not really)

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 09:12 PM
link   
The best experiences I've had on ATS is when I have proven someone's response wrong, and they have humbly admitted their prior position was incorrect, and when others have proven me wrong and I humbly admitted I was incorrect.

It most certainly does not occur as often as it should. When it does, though, everyone involved in the matter expresses this extreme level of respect for each other.

No one rubs the other persons face in the dirt, no one goes off crying. Both parties just agree that they have solved an issue, and positivity arises.

And then there's the people who seem to only post the most ridiculous nonsense, and everyone (even the people who you would think are on their side) shows how their position is invalid, and they go on and on for pages about the same concept, and then eventually run from the topic, and then post the same position somewhere else, where they are also proven wrong again.

That is willful ignorance at it's finest.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 09:23 PM
link   
You know who's wrong god **** fox they are still playing the ****Ing dumb ass ****Ing post football ****r ass game instead of the new X-Files here on the east coast. I hate ****Ing fox why cant AMC get mulder n Scully action WTF!!!! Fox you asses are so 👎

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I feel like shame (a feeling of guilt, regret, or sadness that you have because you know you have done something wrong) ultimately helps to produce an un-judging and kinder perspective. It does seem to be lacking in our generation.

I was literally just talking about this with another ATSer.
Interesting.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 09:46 PM
link   
You know it's so much easier for me to admit that I'm a jerk... but yea, I'm wrong all the time!

Feels good to feel bad, because it feels better to know you're improving. No reason to deny myself of that.

jerk+wrong=pl3bs

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 12:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

If a man says something and a woman isn't around to hear, is he still wrong?

Woman: Yes

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

It is simple. People cannot admit they are wrong because it would be admitting to themselves that they do not know everything, I used to know a girl like that, only every once in a while would she admit anything was wrong, and she didn't know everything, was majorly annoying.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I don't know everything and I am often wrong on a variety of topics and subjects.

Great thread!

originally posted by: annalisa2016
It is simple. People cannot admit they are wrong because it would be admitting to themselves that they do not know everything, I used to know a girl like that, only every once in a while would she admit anything was wrong, and she didn't know everything, was majorly annoying.

If people would admit they are wrong, they would have to stop lying to themselves.
The most lies we tell ourselves.

That's defense mode of our ego - but our ego is evil

edit on 25-1-2016 by Danowski because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboyOn a silly note. I am 80% right most of the time. 20% wrong the rest of the time. However, my dad who is 84 has never admitted he was wrong even when he knew it, and others knew it as well.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   
1) I am never wrong
2) If I am wrong , see 1
3) Go to 1

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Danowski
I don't know everything and I am often wrong on a variety of topics and subjects.

Great thread!

originally posted by: annalisa2016

If people would admit they are wrong, they would have to stop lying to themselves.
The most lies we tell ourselves.

That's defense mode of our ego - but our ego is evil

Someone on here knows how many times I've been wrong.. She just doesn't know it yet

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Hell I'm too stupid to be right................I kinda like it that way.

I have always found it hard to have a conversation with a know it all........think about it, they know it all, therefore they are always right, which makes them never wrong.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 07:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

I feel that there is a trigger point coming - a global revolution if you will, where governments as we know it will be deconstructed and a super-global-one-world-government established that will void all others and there will be no food, water, fuel, shelter or job for you, unless you endorse this government.

I don't share your pessimism. The acceleration towards totalitarianism is a sign of desperation not power. Much like the collapse of the Roman empire the US is haemorrhaging from within. When it can no longer afford to force its will on the remainder of the world from the barrel of a gun, its allies will turn their back on the USD and corporate globalization. When the old world finally goes out with a bang (possibly a greater war) it will signal the birth of a new world more attuned to society and nature. This is something that must happen if the human race is to survive.
edit on 25-1-2016 by glend because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 12:55 AM
link   
I make sure people know I'm wrong with out admitting it.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Maybe you're wrong about everyone thinking they're right...or maybe they're right to think they're right and it's you who has it wrong.

Why do I get the impression that you composed this particular thread because you believe one thing and some others believe another...and you want them to admit that you are right and they are wrong?

I often wonder why people just can't believe what they do and extend tht same courtesy to all else. For some people this simply isn't good enough...you must believe what they do, they won't accept otherwise.

Personally, I've been wrong about a lot of things. There have been times when I knew I was also right about some things...and knew for 100% fact that someone else was completely wrong and wouldn't listen to reason...and some of those times I walked away and thought - "kinda happy this person is going to find out the hard way" sort of thing.

To me it's kind of satisfying knowing that you tried to advise someone for the better but they were too pig-headed to realise that they are still learning every day, we all are. It satisfies me because such people will inevitably make things more difficult for themselves, it's self inflicted and often times well deserved.

I'm not wasting time trying to argue that I'm right about something, I'll dispute some things but won't get hung up on it. Ain't no point - I'm often too headstrong to back down when I *think* I'm right and don't really feel I've a right to deny anyone else that freedom whether I like it or not.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs
I make sure people know I'm wrong with out admitting it.

Yes, you certainly do!

I enjoy being wrong. It helps me learn things. I have no problem at all admitting it. What I do take issue with is when somebody backs something up with sources and thoroughly explain their points, and the opponent just denies it and responds with nothing but fallacies and drivel and doesn't show the same common courtesy of backing up their claims or even addressing the person's points. This is quite common on here among certain groups, but it is the epitome of intellectual dishonesty. If you wish to believe something as true, I really have no problem with that, just stop acting like you know more than scientists about science or that your belief is fact.
edit on 1 27 16 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 08:21 PM
link   
'the only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing"
- socrates johnson

Be excellent to each other....

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 07:54 AM
link   

I'm wrong on occasion, sure, but I think that the real problem isn't that people can't admit that they are wrong, it's that they can't admit that they haven't fully researched a subject and come to their own conclusion. All too often people--and I'm not immune from time to time--cling to one set of data or opinions, which generally comes with a bias, and believe that since it is in a "study" or on a "reputable site," that it is absolute truth.

The failure with modern society and its propensity to be polarized comes from the apathy toward taking the time to fully research a subject matter before acting like an ass over it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join