It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Actors Call For Oscars Boycott Over Lack Of Diversity

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

originally posted by: UnBreakable
It's funny that neither Jada Pinkett Smith nor Spike Lee were involved in any productions at all that were anywhere near Oscar consideration. Nice ploy to grab attention for themselves.

Why is that funny? They can't have an opinion and not be involved in the awards process? I have an opinion. You have an opinion. The OP has an opinion.

It's funny because the black people that actually starred in 2015 films are the ones who should be outraged. Do you think that people will boycot the Oscars because Jada Pinkett Smith who has no career says so?

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Has anyone named an actor, role, or movie that they felt should have been nominated, but wasn't ?

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Noobarino
Has anyone named an actor, role, or movie that they felt should have been nominated, but wasn't ?

I think Spielberg's "The Color Purple" should have won Best Picture.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Restricted

That was a good movie, but I was referring to this year's Oscar's

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

It's been said. But folks know it's an asinine statement, like when Jalen Rose tried to say something to Grant Hill about that very same thing.

The New England Patriots are criticized in the same vein.

But the naysers and yes'sers (that's not a word i know) know it all comes down to one thing.. Can you ball?

And the Oscars are suppose to represent the same thing, how good is your acting. That, unfortunately, is hard to gauge.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

That's part of the "not nearly all that it got."

They did some amazing work on the historic detailing and things like that.

Yes, but there was NO ACTING.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Noobarino

That would be us. We think differently. The Oscars are politics.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I'm going to boycott the oscars this year, simply because I've never sat through one and really couldn't care any less for 'em.

Not because some "oppressed" group told me to.

If Relatos Salvajes wasn't nominated in some category, I'll totally boycott forever.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: mikeone718

I watch for the In Memoriam to see the old actors from my youth. Not many left now.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Yet another reason to boycott the oscars

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I think we should boycott the NBA over how few white guys there are!

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArnoldNonymous
I think we should boycott the NBA over how few white guys there are!

And the NHL for as white as you can get?

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis
You mean Fifty Shades of Black wasn't nominated?

A double standard regardless of genre.

Here's a question, If a white writer and director creates an all black movie, how am I supposed to interpret that? I want to be as PC as possible, show me the blackest way to be fair.

The guilt is killing me!

Spielberg made the Color Purple. He's white....Well, Jewish...

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 08:55 PM
link   
every one complaining about not enough blacks got nominated blah blah blah. i wanna know WHERE IS LEO"S OSCAR!!!!! the revnant was amazing and so was wolf of wall street.if ever there should be a boycott on the oscars it should be becaue leo's outstanding work in many movies has been snubbed time and time again. lol

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rabb420
every one complaining about not enough blacks got nominated blah blah blah. i wanna know WHERE IS LEO"S OSCAR!!!!! the revnant was amazing and so was wolf of wall street.if ever there should be a boycott on the oscars it should be becaue leo's outstanding work in many movies has been snubbed time and time again. lol

quoted for posterity

Not much into the annual Hollywood worship ceremony so I guess I have boycotted already, do I need to do anything different in this new effort?

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Here's a cycnical take on what's going on. It isn't that Hollywood doesn't want to nominate or award black actors, it's just that all the more politically correct/interesting performaces featured white actors.

You could have nominated the guy who played in Creed, but then you would have overlooked Eddie Redmayne playing a kind of true to life transgender guy. Boring black boxer or exciting transgender?

You could have nominated Will Smith for playing the guy in concussion, but then you ignore Bryan Cranston as the poor, put-upon Communist in Trumbo.

And who would believe Steve Jobs if they cast a minority in the role?

It isn't Hollywood's fault that you didn't have many latino's in the Scandinavian LGBTQ circles in the 1920s for example or that blacks didn't write many screenplays during the McCarthy era '50s.

And then of course, you can always blame the audience ... we tend to have problems suspending our disbelief when Hollywood does try making us believe that Dalton Trumbo was black when we all know darn good and well that he wasn't. And we don't go see enough movies to allow them to pull off that kind of risk because even when they do it accurately no one goes to see it making all such pics more or less vanity projects anyhow.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Chiraq was a total mess that turned a serious situation into something mindless and exploitative, I like some of spike lee's films but that one was terrible. By far the worst movie he has ever made.

Jada Pinkett is probably annoyed because Will didn't get nominated for concussion. OK film but his accent was abysmal, it was far from an awards level performance. I do think he deserved an Oscar for Ali though.

If you want to win, make a decent film. Don't make a crap one then complain Hollywood didn't lower their standards to accommodate you.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: JacKatMtn

all i suggest is to just get a cut out mask of leo's face from whichever movie you like the most but photoshop it to be sad and just goto the deli section at your local store and stare at all the oscar-myer products if enough of us band together we can make a difference hahahah

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Hollywood, a cesspool of conservative values and haters of everyone not white.

What Hollywood needs is a little diversity and sensitivity training and maybe getting a few liberals there.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Rabb420

Give me my OSCAR !!!

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join