It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Actors Call For Oscars Boycott Over Lack Of Diversity

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 09:10 PM
link   
OK. Think about this. It's Spike Lee. He has an agenda. That's cool. Jada Pinket Smith should go back to the Matrix. Her husband/exhusband/don't know doesn't need this publicity.

I personally don't get this. If you've been awesome in a role I don't care what color you are.... unless you're green. I've seen Star Trek.

My fav. actors are ALL across the color spectrum.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 09:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
I think every year that there is not a black or other minority nominee in a major category they add a new award strictly for minority nominees from any category and call it the Affirmative Action Oscar for a Major Contribution from a Minority.

And they can also do a retrospective like the do for In Memoriam, only it can be called the "Year in Diversity" celebrating those who contribute.

That is SO demeaning.

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Let's give a black actor an Oscar every year. We can call it the token award.
No need to earn the award,
you don't have to do anything,
We will just do it in the name of diversity, ALL HAIL DIVERSITY!

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

It is, but in effect by demanding that every year someone of color MUST be nominated that's what they want.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tsubaki
a reply to: JDmOKI

Let's play find the minority : www.cmt.com...
Hmmm, looks like the same premise as BET. Both owned by white men too.

Actually I see white people complaining on ATS about BET a lot. Here's an experiment you can perform: Turn on your tv and quickly flip through the channels. How many whites? How many non whites?

Blacks are 13% of the American population!

They get 13% of the coverage, whine some place else!

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Hm. My intention was to list the vast number of awards Morgan Freeman has won, but I only found this:

On October 28, 2006, Freeman was honored at the first Mississippi's Best Awards in Jackson, Mississippi, with the Lifetime Achievement Award for his works on and off the big screen. He received an honorary degree of Doctor of Arts and Letters from Delta State University during the school's commencement exercises on May 13, 2006.[66] In 2013, Boston University presented him with an honorary degree of Doctor of Humane Letters.[67]

How is that possible?

Not really pertinent, but he also said this:

Freeman has publicly criticized the celebration of Black History Month and does not participate in any related events, saying, "I don't want a black history month. Black history is American history."[56] He says the only way to end racism is to stop talking about it, and he notes that there is no "white history month."[57] Freeman once said on an interview with 60 Minutes '​s Mike Wallace, "I am going to stop calling you a white man and I'm going to ask you to stop calling me a black man."

en.wikipedia.org...

Everybody loves Morgan Freeman, don't they? I do.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Konduit

Boycott the NBA, not enough diversity.

I don't mean it....the whole argument is silly. They want diversity but don't want to be given awards out of obligation because they are a different skin colour. Awards should be won on their merits.....I don't recall a movie last year, a great movie, that had a stand out black actor worthy of a great award, maybe a nod here or there...
edit on 18-1-2016 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 10:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I don't know about you but I would be pissed to get an award only because of the color of my skin. I would kind of want an award for my talent or my achievements.

I guess I'm old school that way.

All hail diversity indeed!

Everyone's a winner and we need two of every damn thing to keep the masses happy.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 10:44 PM
link   
1958 - First black nominee leading role for an Oscar
1963- First black Oscar winner for a leading role- Sidney Poitier
1939 - First black Osacr winner supporting role...Hattie McDaniel

Over 50 years ago for the first lead actor award...before the I have a dream speech. Before the Civil Rights movement.

Maybe Spike Lee should be teaching his children about Rebecca Lee Crumpler.

edit on 01pm31pmf0000002016-01-18T22:45:48-06:001048 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

edit on 01pm31pmf0000002016-01-18T22:48:11-06:001011 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I hear Spike Lee is a major supporter of the NHL.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 11:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheForced
So white folks should boycott the Olympic games track and field events because black folks dominate those and this is unfair.

This is their precious black logic.

75% of all sports teams should also be white and 13% black to equal the percentage of the population. I just do not know how the two below went unnoticed..

“WEDDING RINGER”
Stars: Kevin Hart

“MAGIC MIKE XXL”
Stars: Jada Pinkett Smith

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Maybe act better? If I could run better I'd be in the NFL

The Oscars is just a party for a bunch of Hollywood tools to pat themselves on the back and garner attention anyway, kind of like Spike at a Knicks game. I could care less

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Everyone's a winner and we need two of every damn thing to keep the masses happy.

Oh for god's sake, not more of this. Have you ever received a "participation" or "token" award? No? Well, take it from someone's who's actually grown up in an era where those are a thing. By the people who receive them, by the people who do not, they are universally despised. They are the equivalent of a dunce hat.

Anyone who believes that the "you tried" awards make the children who receive them happy or boost their ego is an idiot.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 12:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Hollywood, a cesspool of conservative values and haters of everyone not white.

What Hollywood needs is a little diversity and sensitivity training and maybe getting a few liberals there.

Hollywood is liberal if you only reflect their particular brand of liberalism. Brando's...not so much.

If you want to 100% guarantee a win then make a movie about a gay concentration camp survivor. You could put Megan Fox in it and it would still get best picture.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 01:19 AM
link   
The prospective candidates for team USA (Basketball) is basically the opposite. Why is there no uproar over that? Because it's about performance/talent.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 01:28 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 01:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Story about that...Gather around children!

My fiance's step-dad isn't doing to well and she has to fly out to be with her family before he passes. She calls me every day or so, and one day she mentions that she's bringing the Chihuahua that belonged to her just-deceased step Dad home with her.

I was kind of upset, I mean...it's my condo, we've never discussed a dog. She never asked or mentioned it. I was a little ticked off but said, "Uhhh ... OK...?"

Well, I've kind of wanted a cat for a while. So I said to myself (after a few beers or more than a few beers) -- I'm going to get myself a cat! She's bringing home this dog, right? Well I'm going to get a cat!

So I'm on Facebook and I'm telling my friend all of this. She goes, "Hey, I've got a cat you can have! It's a black one..."

Great! I've always wanted a black cat! I'd name it Anubis! SWEET! (she takes in animals and helps find homes for them).

So I go and get this cat, and she gives me a cardboard cat-carrier. On the box it says, "Gabby". I assume that's the cat's name so I take the cat and we go on our way.

Well, when I go to pick my fiance up at the airport she comes out with her suitcase and carry on. I'm confused....where's the dog? I ask, 'Where's the dog?"

"The dog? Oh! He's in my suitcase."

"Wait, your suitcase...?"

I'm confused. She stuffed a dog into her suitcase? What? Then I remembered. .. There were two dogs. Chalupa and Godita. Gorita had died and was cremated. She meant that dog, she brought the ashes of the dog home -- not the dog that's still alive!

So now I have this cat at home that I got out of spite...

"Oh! Okay, we'll find a nice place to spread the ashes...by the way...uh, I have a...uh...surprise for you at home!"

So we get home, she sees the cat and I let her think it was all a big surprise for her. I didn't have the heart to tell her I got the cat because I was pissed that I thought she was bringing home a dog...

Anyway, fast forward about 2 months. I'm going through some paperwork and I find the shot records for the cat. "Hey hon, I found the shot records and registration paperwork for Gabby! Wait...huh? Hon...you're not going to believe this..."

See, I thought the cat's name was GABBY because it was written on the box my friend put her in when I got her. Nope.

The shot records said the black cat's name was...

Token.

Yep. My black cat's name is "officially" Token as far as the ASPCA is concerned.

Needless to say, we still call her Gabby. Somehow she jumped into the cupboard. I have no idea, she's a cat. My magic cat...

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 01:51 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Neat story.
Not sure if it's Oscar material though.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 02:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Neat story.
Not sure if it's Oscar material though.

Certainly not if Leonardo DiCaprio played me in it...

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Certainly not if Leonardo DiCaprio played me in it...

Wait...
Are you black?

That changes everything.

edit on 1/19/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join