It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homicides mount, pushing Baltimore to second highest total in city history

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Ok Mr. Partisan. How would conservatives fix Baltimore?

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: joemoe
a reply to: SuperFrog

Of the 11k firearm homicides in this country, most are occurring in black inner city population. Almost all of those are gang related, using illegal firearms. What would you propose to fix this? You see if you can fix this problem, you will save more lives than any gun control laws could.

You are going too deep down the rabbit hole. They rather gloss over inconvenient facts like you just pointed out. We don't a gun control problem. We have an inner city young black male problem.

If you want to answer why this is the case, you then have to start looking at the obscene out of wedlock birth rate approaching 75%. You then have to start asking why this is the case and the next thing you know, you are examining liberal progressive policies instituted during LBJ. Now you have exposed progressive ideology and that is a road they don't want to go down....

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Ok Mr. Partisan. How would conservatives fix Baltimore?

I honestly don't know that it can be fixed. An entire generation has been lost.

The problem is multi-faceted but I truly believe it goes back to the cultural dysfunction in the black community that has been created and maintained by progressive liberal policies.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   

So if you don't or aren't willing to offer up solutions from a conservative perspective, why are you complaining about what liberals are or aren't doing? It's not like you have any better ideas or anything. Or did you just come into the thread to check off points on your standard "bash liberal" checklist?

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

So if you don't or aren't willing to offer up solutions from a conservative perspective, why are you complaining about what liberals are or aren't doing? It's not like you have any better ideas or anything. Or did you just come into the thread to check off points on your standard "bash liberal" checklist?

At an individual level, the solution is fairly simple in theory:

Don't have kids out of wedlock
Stay in School
Don't get involved in the criminal justice system

Doings these things virtually guarantees you won't end up in poverty.

However, at a macro level, the problem is multi-faceted as I stated. You progressives have really screwed the pooch, so it isn't going to be easy to undo after 50 years of this non-sense.

Fix the school system. The school system needs to be completely blown up and redone. There has to be a focus on the basics - reading, writing, and arithmetic. Save all the global warming, social justice, timmy has two daddy's extracurricular stuff for later. We have to be able to get rid of non-performing teachers, but more importantly, non-performing students.

Fix the welfare system. The system rewards poor decision making. We should be encouraging marriage and not rewarding having children out of wedlock.

Illegal immigration. Why are we importing more low skilled illiterate workers? They drive down wages of those most in need.

Criminal Justice. We need to be ruthless prosecuting gangs and gun crimes. I'd make it so hot, no rapper would ever dare show off a gun in music video for fear of being prosecuted.

The problem I see though is that the majority of the issues are self-inflicted by the community. There is only so much government can do. People either want a better existence or they don't.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
At an individual level, the solution is fairly simple in theory:

Stay in School

Doings these things virtually guarantees you won't end up in poverty.

Actually all of those solutions are wrong. Having a single parent or being a single parent doesn't destroy a child's life. That has been proven time and time again. Not getting involved in the criminal justice system is easier said than done in this country. Though I'll admit, of the three responses there, that is the best one.

However, at a macro level, the problem is multi-faceted as I stated. You progressives have really screwed the pooch, so it isn't going to be easy to undo after 50 years of this non-sense.

They aren't my progressives. I'm not beholden to party politics thank you very much.

Fix the school system. The school system needs to be completely blown up and redone. There has to be a focus on the basics - reading, writing, and arithmetic. Save all the global warming, social justice, timmy has two daddy's extracurricular stuff for later. We have to be able to get rid of non-performing teachers, but more importantly, non-performing students.

Reading this I'm pretty sure you have no idea what is and isn't taught to kids in Baltimore City public schools... Also, what are you going to do with the non-performing students? Aren't they just going to go on the streets and get into trouble, thus getting involved in the criminal justice system?

Fix the welfare system. The system rewards poor decision making. We should be encouraging marriage and not rewarding having children out of wedlock.

Why?

Children of Single Mothers: How Do They Really Fare?

Illegal immigration. Why are we importing more low skilled illiterate workers? They drive down wages of those most in need.

Show me where Baltimore City is importing illegals to do their work for them.

Criminal Justice. We need to be ruthless prosecuting gangs and gun crimes. I'd make it so hot, no rapper would ever dare show off a gun in music video for fear of being prosecuted.

You want to make it illegal to display a gun in a music video? I'm pretty sure that is not only a violation of the 1st Amendment, but I'm PRETTY sure a great many conservatives would consider that a violation of the 2nd as well.

The problem I see though is that the majority of the issues are self-inflicted by the community. There is only so much government can do. People either want a better existence or they don't.

I really doubt this.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   

maybe we can take all of those "non-performers" and ship them to another country, or put them in some type of "gang" gulag...

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   
It's hard to break the cycle of poverty. It's psychological, Sociological, self sabotaging etc. I've been in poverty. Not everyone can just break it by -not falling into instant gratification (Getting drunk or going to the bar-like everyone does on TV instead of saving every penny and skimping on stuff, turning off cable and internet, no candy, desert or soda).

And the big think here is that it's not just inner cities. Look at the poor in Appalachia and then do some searches to see who actually get's more welfare. It's generally white people in most places. If only those damn white people would get off their lazy backsides and work as hard as the immigrants and minorities...Oh.. I wasn't supposed to say that! LOL

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Statistically, children raised in single parent homes do worse on nearly every metric. No, not every child raised by a single parent will grow up a failure, but the statistics are not on their side. The point is a community where 75% of the children are basically being born behind the 8-ball from the start by not being raised in two parent homes is going to get some bad results.

I had the pleasure of attending a crappy school in the hood as well practically the best public high school in my state. I speak from experience. Part of the problem is that the schools are acting as social welfare offices first and school second. When you have kids who are disruptive and have behavioral problems, it takes away from the kids who are there to learn. It isn't fair to the kid who doesn't have these problems. The fact of the matter is the public school systems cannot bring everyone down to the lowest common denominator and be successful. At some point, you have to make a tough decision and get rid of the trouble makers.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Baltimore is a special project city for George Soros.

He has succeeded beyond his wildest dreams.

Soros chose Baltimore as a "test-city" to implement smart solutions and create systemic change with regard to some of the biggest challenges facing urban centers: failing schools, untreated drug addiction, and an over-reliance on incarceration. Since 1998, his foundation, OSI-Baltimore, has invested over $70 million towards solving these complex problems.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Deny Arrogance

I wonder what his "target date" is?

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I made this video, for this thread.

I don't see any side arms in this video. A lot of lawlessness, the political engine only going to work when it's too late, and destruction of property. But no citizens with side arms. Maybe that is the problem.

Mike Grouchy

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I don't know much about Baltimore politics, if anything at all but the tough on crime politicians aren't unique to Baltimore and for the most part they all fail. Largely because it's hard to actually adopt the policy that reduces crime. Most want to deter crime by giving out harsher sentences, more police, and so on. But evidence has shown that it's more effective to prevent crime in the first place and to focus on rehabilitation rather than punishment.

Revenge is an easy emotion to give into though, and people want revenge against criminals. That makes it hard to do anything productive, especially when it's not a popular sentiment among the population.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
so when they gentrify an area does that include new high paying jobs?

A few, but most new jobs tend to be service sector related.

It actually leads to an interesting question, all these neighborhoods across the country are gentrifying but wages aren't going up. Where are all the people living in these neighborhoods coming from?

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Stay in School

BS. I have a clean record, no kids, and plenty of schooling, yet my income is below poverty levels. The same is true of just about every person I know.

After CoL adjustments, the poverty line in Baltimore is about $16,000 per year. A full time minimum wage job will not get you to that income level.

College is getting more and more unaffordable, how do you propose people stay in school? If you mean high school, most people in the US either complete high school or a GED, it's pretty much a non issue even in low income inner city areas.

The criminal justice system is meant to reform people so that they become productive. If someone is a criminal and on the wrong path, getting involved with it is supposed to be the best thing that can happen to them. But, it's not. Which means that entire system is failing because it doesn't rehabilitate.
edit on 22-12-2015 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

Stay in School

BS. I have a clean record, no kids, and plenty of schooling, yet my income is below poverty levels. The same is true of just about every person I know.

After CoL adjustments, the poverty line in Baltimore is about $16,000 per year. A full time minimum wage job will not get you to that income level.

College is getting more and more unaffordable, how do you propose people stay in school? If you mean high school, most people in the US either complete high school or a GED, it's pretty much a non issue even in low income inner city areas.

The criminal justice system is meant to reform people so that they become productive. If someone is a criminal and on the wrong path, getting involved with it is supposed to be the best thing that can happen to them. But, it's not. Which means that entire system is failing because it doesn't rehabilitate.

So what is your reason or excuse for barely making a living?

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: pcgamer11

exactly!
It`s a lot like peeing in your lemonade, it doesn`t make the pee taste better it just makes the lemonade undrinkable and you have to throw it out.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: SuperFrog

youre a foreighner. your Op dont count honestly. We do have registration but ite th egovernments fault they cant keep anything straight.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   

So what is your reason or excuse for barely making a living?

Not everyone can make the big bucks. Regardless of how much money people are making there's always going to be a top 1% and a bottom 1%. Economics pretty much guarantees that the bottom will always be poor. One day I may be able to change that situation for myself, but that merely swaps my position with someone else, and then it's their problem... which means it's still a problem for society.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Statistically, children raised in single parent homes do worse on nearly every metric. No, not every child raised by a single parent will grow up a failure, but the statistics are not on their side. The point is a community where 75% of the children are basically being born behind the 8-ball from the start by not being raised in two parent homes is going to get some bad results.

I had the pleasure of attending a crappy school in the hood as well practically the best public high school in my state. I speak from experience. Part of the problem is that the schools are acting as social welfare offices first and school second. When you have kids who are disruptive and have behavioral problems, it takes away from the kids who are there to learn. It isn't fair to the kid who doesn't have these problems. The fact of the matter is the public school systems cannot bring everyone down to the lowest common denominator and be successful. At some point, you have to make a tough decision and get rid of the trouble makers.

Care to source your statistics??

So, what happens with trouble makers who you would dispel from school??

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join