It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homicides mount, pushing Baltimore to second highest total in city history

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 06:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Statistically, children raised in single parent homes do worse on nearly every metric. No, not every child raised by a single parent will grow up a failure, but the statistics are not on their side. The point is a community where 75% of the children are basically being born behind the 8-ball from the start by not being raised in two parent homes is going to get some bad results.

Statistically? According to which statistics exactly? Planning on showing any?

I had the pleasure of attending a crappy school in the hood as well practically the best public high school in my state. I speak from experience. Part of the problem is that the schools are acting as social welfare offices first and school second. When you have kids who are disruptive and have behavioral problems, it takes away from the kids who are there to learn. It isn't fair to the kid who doesn't have these problems. The fact of the matter is the public school systems cannot bring everyone down to the lowest common denominator and be successful. At some point, you have to make a tough decision and get rid of the trouble makers.

No, you are speaking from anecdotes right now.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 07:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

I don't know much about Baltimore politics, if anything at all but the tough on crime politicians aren't unique to Baltimore and for the most part they all fail. Largely because it's hard to actually adopt the policy that reduces crime. Most want to deter crime by giving out harsher sentences, more police, and so on. But evidence has shown that it's more effective to prevent crime in the first place and to focus on rehabilitation rather than punishment.

Revenge is an easy emotion to give into though, and people want revenge against criminals. That makes it hard to do anything productive, especially when it's not a popular sentiment among the population.

This is well said and I agree. I remember making a thread along these lines once. It's true though. If you want to actually follow through on your claims of wanting to reduce crime, then you need to explore all avenues to see if they work. Not just keep doubling down on the same one and then wonder why things keep getting worse. We have tested evidence from other countries that shows that what you said above works. It's effective.

It's funny. Violence usually isn't the answer. Yet Americans LOVE it.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Everyone is untitled to their own opinions but not to their own facts

can you link studies showing that kids raised by single parent do as well as a kid raised in an evolutionary family unit. There are even studies showing males need two parents more then females.

Here is one article to back up my point. I think we shall be waiting awhile for yours......

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Statistically, children raised in single parent homes do worse on nearly every metric. No, not every child raised by a single parent will grow up a failure, but the statistics are not on their side. The point is a community where 75% of the children are basically being born behind the 8-ball from the start by not being raised in two parent homes is going to get some bad results.

I had the pleasure of attending a crappy school in the hood as well practically the best public high school in my state. I speak from experience. Part of the problem is that the schools are acting as social welfare offices first and school second. When you have kids who are disruptive and have behavioral problems, it takes away from the kids who are there to learn. It isn't fair to the kid who doesn't have these problems. The fact of the matter is the public school systems cannot bring everyone down to the lowest common denominator and be successful. At some point, you have to make a tough decision and get rid of the trouble makers.

When you went to bad high school, did you notice that the kids with an evolutionary family did better then the kids who were in a single parent home?

Sometimes I think the goal is to make everyone equally ignorant. Equality is important but one usually cannot make someone with a 90 IQ do as well as someone with a 110 IQ unless you pull down the kid with the 110 IQ

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 07:32 AM
link   
a reply to: thinline

The Daily Mail? Really? Lol. You are going to come into my thread posting a link to the Daily Mail then talk to me about "facts"? That's pretty comical right there. Well here's a psychology website with facts and data on the matter.

10 Ways the Children of Single Parents Defy All Stereotypes

More links:
The Absent Black Father Myth - Totally Debunked by the CDC
5 Single Mom Myths Debunked
The 15 Biggest Misconceptions About Single Parents
edit on 23-12-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 07:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: thinline
When you went to bad high school, did you notice that the kids with an evolutionary family did better then the kids who were in a single parent home?

Sometimes I think the goal is to make everyone equally ignorant. Equality is important but one usually cannot make someone with a 90 IQ do as well as someone with a 110 IQ unless you pull down the kid with the 110 IQ

You clearly don't know how Intelligent Quotients work either. You do know that IQ numbers change over the course of your lifetime and you CAN improve your IQ number?

Actually, You Can Change Your IQ If You Work Hard Enough

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
Actually, You Can Change Your IQ If You Work Hard Enough

Unfortunately, people can lower their IQ as well...

And it seems that many are working so hard to lower their and children's, but that is all another topic...

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: thinline

Most certainly noticed it. I also noticed it in my neighborhood. I was one of the only kids who had a two parent household. I also noticed it anytime I would volunteer for mentoring through Big Brothers or other organizations.

What I find comical is that you get progressives trying to justify this cultural dysfunction as normal. I don't expect every kid to have a two parent household as we know that is not realistic. However, it cannot be accepted as normal behavior.

Think about it. In the black community, nearly 75% of kids are born out of wedlock. SEVENTY FIVE PERCENT. Three out of four! WTF. How is this not considered a social epidemic? Ain't nobody buying Father's day cards in the hood.

To put things in perspective, here are the out of wedlock birth rates which you can find at the CDC.

CDC Birth Stats

72.2% of Blacks
66.9% of American Indians / Native Alaskans
53.5% of Hispanics
29.4% of Whites
17.1% of Asians

What else do you see? These data tend to follow with overall wealth and education levels...

As a whole, Asians do better than Whites, White do better than Hispanics, Hispanics do better than Blacks when it comes to wealth accumulation, education levels, etc.

The thing is even among other races, those raised by single parents exhibit the same cultural dysfunction. It isn't a racial thing per se, but the concentration in the black community is at epidemic proportions now.

It wasn't always like this though. 50 years ago the out of wedlock birth rate for blacks was around 25% and it was considered too high then when Senator Moynihan wrote about the destruction of the black family and its consequences. Now we are at 75% and wonder why all these cities have turned into a scene out of Lord of the Flies?

Women cannot teach boys how to be men. PERIOD. These sisters in the hood have no idea how to raise these young boys. This is why black males in the hood are out of control.

You don't need a Ph.D in sociology to see this.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   

You're right, because people with Ph.Ds don't make assumptions about correlation equaling causation with such simple reasoning as yours.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 09:22 AM
link   

You're right, because people with Ph.Ds don't make assumptions about correlation equaling causation with such simple reasoning as yours.

The simple reasoning you can't refute.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Do you not feel the preponderance of single family households is not a significant contributing factor?

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Not really. I think a single parent home can be just as successful as a two, three, four, five, or heck any number household. It's not about the number of parents, but how you raise your children.

There are plenty of terrible two parent households too. Why do all these "Single moms are the devil!" people ever acknowledge that piece of dirty laundry? How many marriages end in divorce these days? Is that conducive to a good environment for a child (Studies say its is healthier for the parents to end the relationship instead of trying to hold it together for the sake of the children by the way)?

Pretending like the number of parents in the household is the sole motivator for poor child upbringing is just an overly simplistic method and one that relies on unproven assumptions.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   

There are plenty of terrible two parent households too. Why do all these "Single moms are the devil!" people ever acknowledge that piece of dirty laundry? How many marriages end in divorce these days? Is that conducive to a good environment for a child (Studies say its is healthier for the parents to end the relationship instead of trying to hold it together for the sake of the children by the way).

I am certainly not saying that 'single PARENTS are the devil' but it is an undeniable fact that a two parent household typically offers better socio-economic opportunities.

And you would be putting words in my mouth if you claim I said 'sole motivator', I clearly said 'significant contributor'.

edit on 23-12-2015 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   

The simple reasoning you can't refute.

You mean the reasoning that is in direct conflict with the evidence I posted a few posts above your post?

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

There are plenty of terrible two parent households too. Why do all these "Single moms are the devil!" people ever acknowledge that piece of dirty laundry? How many marriages end in divorce these days? Is that conducive to a good environment for a child (Studies say its is healthier for the parents to end the relationship instead of trying to hold it together for the sake of the children by the way).

I am certainly not saying that 'single PARENTS are the devil' but it is an undeniable fact that a two parent household typically offers better socio-economic opportunities.

That wouldn't be a problem if we'd fix the wage gap in this country and people were able to survive on single person incomes again.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   

That wouldn't be a problem if we'd fix the wage gap in this country and people were able to survive on single person incomes again.

If we are going to take that route then back in the day, when one income were sufficient, the other parent stayed home to raise the children. How does that occur when there is only one parent?

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Babysitters, day care, public school, after school activities, etc. It's not like single family homes aren't unheard of. You do know that single mom homes were at a high point around 1946 too right? And that generation supposedly built this country into a juggernaut.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Babysitters, day care, public school, after school activities, etc.

Many of those cost money and who really wants strangers raising your children.

The point you were trying to make is that a single parent can raise their children. How do they raise them when they are at work?

edit on 23-12-2015 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Babysitters, day care, public school, after school activities, etc.

Many of those cost money.

Something that would be fixed by fixing the wage gap, no? Maybe strengthening the Social Safety net too.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Not really. I think a single parent home can be just as successful as a two, three, four, five, or heck any number household. It's not about the number of parents, but how you raise your children.

You clearly need to take a basic statistics class.

At no point has anyone said that ALL kids raised in single parent homes are going to grow up to be screw ups. In fact, most kids don't.

The point is that there is a strong causual relationship between single parents and kids growing up to be screw ups. This cannot be denied.

Here is an article in the Atlantic that does a good job of explaining:

The Real Connection Between Single Parents and Crime

So back to your first post regarding the murder rate in Baltimore. Can you not see that if you want to fix the problem you have to get to the root of it?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join