It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homicides mount, pushing Baltimore to second highest total in city history

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: pcgamer11

Have you been to the once uninhabitable neighborhoods in New York City? Red Hook, Greenpoint, the Upper Westside, Alphabet City?

Gentrification coupled with increased police presence has made them hot spots for both professionals and families.

It should be noted that we have increased police presence in our gentrified districts too (though crime still happens there too). Most of our crimes happen in the ghettos which haven't been gentrified yet. Tearing down the projects wasn't enough.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: lostbook

I'm surprised you aren't aware of this, but DC is often ranked side-by-side alongside Baltimore in highest murder rates.

I'm aware that DC can be a pretty violent place but it's nothing compared to L.A. The quality of life is better in DC: schools, jobs, transportation, etc.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa
a reply to: SuperFrog

NPR...LOL they are as belivable as RT. or stormfront these days. Accordsing to law we do register guns. We have three that are registered ourselves. We have STATE databases and not a national one for easier access to checking someones guns out. Its how we can track a guns ownership down and find shooters.(of legally purchased guns)

Theres no way to stop th eillegal ones though because they dont operate under th elaw. ALso alot of Guns come from out of the country too. Since fully autos are too exspensive for a thug to buy.

ATS has changed a lot if simple stating the facts is seem like bad/wrong...

You can imagine that we have gun registered, but no, we don't really have it.

You can check NPR news on other sources... and it will bring the same results... reason I selected NPR is because when I heard it few years back, I could not believe it. And yes, did check it later, and it seems correct.

www.nytimes.com...

So please stop pretending you know better then person who works for organization that is supposed to register those guns...

oig.justice.gov...

They are ineffective as much as congress and NRA could make them...
edit on 22-12-2015 by SuperFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook

I'm surprised you aren't aware of this, but DC is often ranked side-by-side alongside Baltimore in highest murder rates.

I'm aware that DC can be a pretty violent place but it's nothing compared to L.A. The quality of life is better in DC: schools, jobs, transportation, etc.

I was also under the impression that schools were just as bad as in Baltimore. Are you in the surrounding counties by any chance?

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   

I was also under the impression that schools were just as bad as in Baltimore. Are you in the surrounding counties by any chance?

I'm in DC Northeast. Yes, DC public schools are pretty bad but the Charter schools here are great! Also, there are TONS of homeless people in L.A. You see them everywhere. DC has homeless but not nearly as many.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Someone is selling guns to people who are not supposed to get it. How this can be prevented? Crime rate will fix itself once that is figured out.

That is a pretty tall order to fill.
Considering that they can't rid our country of drugs that aren't even produced inside of our borders.
IOW, it isn't going to happen.

The problem isn't guns anyway, it is the mindset of the people that are pointing them and pulling the trigger.
How can we fix that?

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   

The homeless are on the rise in Baltimore... I see them on corners everywhere. Though neither Baltimore nor LA are as bad as Portland, but then again Portland doesn't criminalize or mistreat the homeless so its become kind of a homeless mecca if you will.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   

The homeless are on the rise in Baltimore... I see them on corners everywhere. Though neither Baltimore nor LA are as bad as Portland, but then again Portland doesn't criminalize or mistreat the homeless so its become kind of a homeless mecca if you will.

Hm.m.m...Never been to Portland. Good to know. So, is it basically a city of homeless people? Whereas Baltimore just has a lot of crime?

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   

I don't think so. I just remember seeing a documentary on it.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
That is a pretty tall order to fill.
Considering that they can't rid our country of drugs that aren't even produced inside of our borders.
IOW, it isn't going to happen.

The problem isn't guns anyway, it is the mindset of the people that are pointing them and pulling the trigger.
How can we fix that?

That is another thing we got wrong on this issue today on this topic...

It's long push from NRA that links mental health and guns, but according to research and data, it appears that people with mental health conditions are much more likely to be victims then one responsible for criminal acts.

That new data was covered by John Oliver few months back...

And I agree that it looks hopeless, but not because we can't fight it, but because apparently we are not even trying?!

Remember, it should be easy to make centralized database for all guns made by manufactures - and if someone finds a batch of guns that were not registered properly - we would be able to TRACE them and find who is selling them and how and to whom.

It is not like bad people got their own gun factory - they all got guns mainly made here...

Problem is actually easy to solve...

edit on 22-12-2015 by SuperFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   

I didn't mention mental health.

I am talking about the culture that we have today where the norm is to pull a gun and shoot someone because of some disagreement.

It is not like bad people got their own gun factory - they all got guns mainly made here...

And heroin users don't have 'their own heroin factory'.
Are you aware that heroin is completely illegal and isn't produced in this country?
Yet it is easily purchased in cities and small towns across America... despite a war on drugs that has been going on since 1969!

edit on b000000312015-12-22T12:05:30-06:0012America/ChicagoTue, 22 Dec 2015 12:05:30 -06001200000015 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Actually Baltimore has been undergoing a CONSIDERABLE gentrification process for the last 15+ years or so. Our Inner Harbor and surrounding downtown hangout areas (Canton, Fells Point, Federal Hill) have all been VASTLY redone. Heck, Canton alone has undergone a significant transformation. It used to just be dockside warehouses and a grimy area. Now it's all shopping, eating, and a really nice place to live.

I was down there twice in the past month so I was able to see this for myself, however gentrification is not the only aspect for helping to reduce crime, you need an increased police presence in trouble neighborhoods a la New York did.

so when they gentrify an area does that include new high paying jobs?

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Those losers need educations. They need to be homeless for 4 years while acquire massive debt for a piece of paper that says they can use Microsoft excell and spreadsheet.

Most of the jobs out there are cakewalks.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Of the 11k firearm homicides in this country, most are occurring in black inner city population. Almost all of those are gang related, using illegal firearms. What would you propose to fix this? You see if you can fix this problem, you will save more lives than any gun control laws could.
edit on 22-12-2015 by joemoe because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-12-2015 by joemoe because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Wow. I just checked out world homeless statistics and Manilla Phillipines is #1 at 1.2 mil, New York is #2 at more than 60,000+, and Los Angeles is #3 at 57,737, Dc is #17 at 6,856, Baltimore is #20 at 4088 homeless, and Portland is about 4000 homeless. I think this topic deserves a thread of its own.

Sorry to topic drift in your thread but I just wanted to clarify.
edit on 22-12-2015 by lostbook because: word add

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   

a reply to: Krazysh0t

Wow. I just checked out world homeless statistics and Manilla Phillipines is #1 at 1.2 mil, New York is #2 at more than 60,000+, and Los Angeles is #3 at 57,737, Dc is #17 at 6,856, Baltimore is #20 at 4088 homeless, and Portland is about 4000 homeless. I think this topic deserves a thread of its own.

Sorry to topic drift in your thread but I just wanted to clarify.

That probably would be a good discussion. You should make one about it. Though be careful, I'm sure a bunch of people who want to come in and whine about the "war on poverty" will be along to yell at you or something.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   
that doesn't fix the issue. There are groups of garbage people with garbage morals and garbage culture. fixing an area thus causing taxes and housing prices to rise making them move does not fix the people wherever they end up going.

Only those people can fix themselves. a real fix that works quickly would be immoral, wrong, etc.

These people need to live somewhere's and inside the city of baltimore is as good as any.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Hm.m.m...Never been to Portland. Good to know. So, is it basically a city of homeless people? Whereas Baltimore just has a lot of crime?

The thing about Portland is that you don't know if the people are homeless or just being fashionable hipsters.

The homeless in Portland do detract from an otherwise very nice city. The homeless in Portland are the homeless youth types - backpack, dog, guitar, dreadlocks, and a nasty meth or heroin habit.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Baltimore is like every other major urban city run by liberals. It is basically a new type of black plantation where you have hordes of poor blacks led by the liberal black political class who are buck dancing lap dogs for white liberal elites.

The white liberal elites allow the black leadership to enrich themselves. This is why you typically have black mayors, police chiefs, school superintendents, city council, etc. They then basically corral the poor blacks into voting for Democrats.

Yet none of these folks can seem to put two and two together. You've had liberal black leadership in most of these cities for almost 50 years, yet a large portion of the population has nothing to show for it. At some point, you'd think they'd figure out why...

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
so when they gentrify an area does that include new high paying jobs?

It means more jobs in general as disused properties become rented our bought and new businesses move into the neighborhood.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join