It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aircraft picture quiz

page: 39
<< 36  37  38    40  41  42 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Peronemlin
Any offers for this?

[edit on 25-3-2005 by Peronemlin]

No idea, I will offer a $10 bet that it wasn't equipped with ejector seats though. I would offer a further $100 to never have to go up in it and double that to be kept away from the odd looking thing in Waynos's last set. Beautiful pic of the EW Connie though. I love that aircraft

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 03:17 AM
link   
I thought I recognised it! Avro Ashton...WB491 was also a Rolls-Royce Conway testbed apparently and parts of its fuselage still exist. There were six converted from redundant Tudor II airframes.

Details:
Avro Ashton data

[edit on 27-3-2005 by Historian]

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 03:25 AM
link   

POSTSCRIPT: APRIL 1948 First Flight I gather!

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 03:48 AM
link   
the Nene-Viking was the first turbojet powered transport in the world to fly, but you knew that already didn't you
Thats one picture to delete from my next set, what a coincidence! Don't worry I've loads more to choose from

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Quick summary of correct answers;

1 Avro Ashton - Historian

2 I'll wait a little longer before revealing this one

3 Lockheed WV-3/EC-121L - Veltro

4 Dassault Mystere II - peronemlin

5 Sud Est Durandal - spursfan

well done all,

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I also got one who are gonna to tell me what more information about it?

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 07:32 AM
link   
That emile is the Supermarine 559, the last all new fighter design from the company that gave us the Spitfire. It was their submission to the F155T requirement for a long range all weather mach 2.5 Interceptor which was quite far sighted for 1955. The winning design to this requirement was the Fairey Delta III, also known as the Fairey F.155T. This programme was cancelled along with the Avro 730 Mach 3 bomber amongst others when in 1957 the UK Govt made the ridiculous decision that the era of manned combat aircraft was at an end. The UK Industry never recovered from this ill advised mass culling of some of the worlds finest and most advanced projects.

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by JamesBlonde
Beautiful pic of the EW Connie though. I love that aircraft

Connie's are one of the most beautiful prop-liners ever built. Even the various radomes on the EC versions don't spoil it's looks. You could weld a garbage dumpster on top of one and it would still be sharp as a tack.

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   
After the Labour Government under Harold Wilson [1964-70] cancelled the TSR-2, the remains of the first three aircraft ended up in Colley's scrapyard in Hounslow, Middlesex just south of Heathrow Airport. A sad sight for all of us aircraft enthusiasts of the time. Of course after the indigenous design was cancelled the Government decided on the F-111, and then cancelled with huge cancellation payments due.

This is the last of my favourite historical British aircraft, and is an easy one to i.d.:

So, why is it a world's first?

Dr Who # 1 1963: 'An Unearthly Child' - Dr Who 2005. Seen 'em all but still not regenerated!

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 03:30 PM
link   
You could fill several books with the brilliant and original concepts we threw away over the decades, in fact several people have!

For anyone interested in seeing how Britain's own Govt forced us to not be the great rival to US industry we could have been I recommend reading 'Project Cancelled' by Derek Wood, 'British Secret Projects' a three volume set by Tony Buttler and, for a fully International flavour 'Combat Aircraft Prototypes since 1945' by Robert Jackson. Believe me, eyes will be agog!

For example how many of you are even aware of the Vickers Swallow? A very ambitious design for an airliner cum strategic bomber that can be loosely descibed as a sort of YB-49 hinged in the middle to sweep back like an arrowhead and reach mach 2 - development begun in 1952! Or the even more amazing fact (from Derek Wood's book) that the F-111 itself was developed (via a very convoluted line) from a 1950's Vickers strike fighter for which, once US interest had been aroused, its designer, Barnes Wallis, went to the USA and worked with NASA on the concept before Britain withdrew and the whole sum of research was given to General Dynamics in the early 1960's! Of course the F-111 itself was a new and indigenous design by GD, but the the VG arrangement it used, especially with regard to the aerodynamic and mechanical arrangement, large wing gloves etc was virtually unchanged to the Vickers design that had been a rival to the F.155T design pictured above. This is described to illustrate the irony of our decision to cancel TSR 2 and buy F-111's instead.

Another favourite of mine, in the civil sector, is the 1966 Hawker Siddeley HS134 wich is an exact match in every detail for the 1982 Boeing 757. Now, of course Boeing didn't copy the HS 134 (that was the 727/Trident story - a wow chapter in its own right) but the point was Britain could have got in there with a plane in service by 1970!

I have wittered on far too much already but for me this is one of the most amazing areas of aerospace history to study, at least on a par with all that 'Luft '46' material that people love so.

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   
The Trent-Meteor, the worlds first turbo-prop powered aircraft to fly!

Going back to the Connie, it is a truly gorgeous plane and I remember reading once somewhere that Lockheed were inspired by the pre-war De Havilland DH-91 Albatross. I can see similarities in the shape of the wings and the curvature of the fuselage etc though the Connie is a much bigger and far far superior aircraft. I would be interested if anyone can point me to any sources that back that up as I have been unable to track down any mention of any such influence and I can't remember where I first read it.

I've tried to find pictures that illustrate where this 'influence' might be seen and these arwe the best I have come up with, the three view illustrates the same wing shape and the curvature of the fuselage can also be seen to be similar, its an interesting thought.

[edit on 27-3-2005 by waynos]

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Along with many other firsts the world's first turboprop was a Meteor. EE227. one of the last production Mk I's served initially with 616 Squadron being retired from active service after 80 flight hours in favour of the newer Mk III's. Initially delivered to Farnborough in March 1945 it was allocated to Rolls Royce at Hucknell where its Derwent turbojets were replaced with Rolls Royce RB50 trent turboprops. Fitted with 7ft 11 inch Rotol propellors and reduction gear the combination produced 750 shp and 1,000 lbs of jet pipe thrust. Other modifications included a six inch undercarriage extension for better propellor clearance and ballast in place of its cannons. It first flew from Church Broughton on the 20th September 1945 with Eric Greenwood at the controls.

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Yeah I saw the British secret projects trio in my book club. Want to get those. I have the 3 book set of German secret projects by Walter Schick amd Ingolf Meyer. Great stuff.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I take it everyone has given up on the creation that remains unidentified?

It was the Westland Pterodactyl IV, a two seat fighter that used the same layout as the cabin aircraft I featured in a previous selection.

Here are some more;

Don't forget to be specific

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 09:53 AM
link   
# 2 Handley-Page HP81 Hermes 4 G-ALDM
# 3 Douglas B-66 Destroyer

[edit on 28-3-2005 by spursfan]

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 10:32 AM
link   
#1. General Aircraft/Blackburn Universal freighter. Which later evolved into the Beverly.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by spursfan
# 2 Handley-Page HP81 Hermes 4 G-ALDM

OK I asked for it but I didn't mean THAT specific!

Of course it is right as is the Douglas B-66,

veltro is also correct with the GAL Universal Freighter.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Waynos, there are first two photo which showed Fairey DH2 but their air-intakes is few different. could you tell me why? and middle one in where to take the photo? it looks like in a museum

then what is third one? the last one I've never seen it before

[edit on 28-3-2005 by emile]

[edit on 28-3-2005 by emile]

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Both pictures are from museums, the lower one looks like Duxford or Filton with the Concorde prototype in the background (trying to remember where the Concorde prototype is kept these days).

The upper photo show the Fairey Delta Two in the form in which it became the worlds first 1,000mph world speed record holder in the mid 1950's, the photo underneath shows the 'BAC 221' configuration where it was heavily modified to help with the Concorde development programme, hence the great changes you can see, apart from the intakes it was also longer and had a completely different wing fitted as well several other mods.

The lower picture has really annoyed me as I have seen it before but cannot for the life of me remember what the hell its called

I know I have it in a book somewhere so if no-one else names it I may have a look when I have time and see if I can find it.

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Waynos,

Is Concorde 002 not at Yeovilton?

It was there when I visited about 25 years ago.

Cheers

BHR

new topics

top topics

<< 36  37  38    40  41  42 >>

join