It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students Homework - Write Statement of Islamic Faith

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: reldra

Yeah well when I went to school religion wasn't a part of the lesson plan.

Hell wasn't part of the lesson plan at the University of Louisville either.

It has been since at least the 80s, world religions overview as part of Social Studies (which World Geography falls under).

link   

originally posted by: neo96
Islam has EXACTLY nothing to do with GEOGRAPHY.

Geography (from Greek γεωγραφία, geographia, lit. "earth description") is a field of science devoted to the study of the lands, the features, the inhabitants, and the phenomena of Earth. A literal translation would be "to describe or picture or write about the earth".

Geography is divided into two main branches: human geography and physical geography.

Human geography is the branch of the social sciences that deals with the world, its people and their communities, cultures, economies and interaction with the environment by emphasizing their relations with and across space and place. As an intellectual discipline, geography is divided into the sub-fields of physical geography and human geography, which concentrates upon the study of human activities, by the application of qualitative and quantitative research methods.
edit on 18-12-2015 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: reldra

Thank you! That would make sense. I didn't know the classes were sometimes combined. That kind of makes me sad though... I always loved social studies! I've always enjoyed learning how other peoples lived and played and worked and celebrated. I love seeing their creativity and resourcefulness and... well... just the human spirit in action. I can be very inspiring and heart-warming

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
a reply to: BarefootInWinter

You know...

It's possible to copy down something by hand and not "absorb" the belief it was written about.

I can sit and actually read the Book of Mormon and the Koran and not turn into a Mormon or a Muslim. Exposure to something you don't like doesn't magically turn you into that thing.

Oh, it is ... but we don't allow that with Christianity.

So I have to ask ... why is it suddenly different now that we are doing it with Islam?

The rank hypocrisy with some of the posters here defending this is hilarious.

If you cannot have students write "Jesus Christ is my personal Lord and Savior," then they cannot write the Shahada either, and for the same reasons. We can all agree that learning about the history of the two religions and why they came about and some of the core beliefs like the Five Pillars and the 10 Commandments can be useful and comparative instruction, but asking students to even obliquely make statements of professed faith is something that goes a bit far.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: TerminalVelocity

Religion is NOT a culture.

Yes, it is.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147

originally posted by: markosity1973
a reply to: boymonkey74

I know where you are coming from. But Christianity and Islam are never going to reconcile.

You'be got some horrid verses in the qu'ran to thank for that.

Yeah... Exclusively the qu'ran.... Right

Leviticus 26:28: (Eat your own children)
Yet if in spite of this you do not obey Me, but act with hostility against Me, 28then I will act with wrathful hostility against you, and I, even I, will punish you seven times for your sins. 29'Further, you will eat the flesh of your sons and the flesh of your daughters

This wasn't an instruction to eat children but was a warning that if the Israelites continued to do the wrong thing, they would end up performing the most degenerate and horrific acts. Historically, it was the report of a mother cooking and eating her own baby that changed Vespasian's mind regarding the siege of Jerusalem and caused him to end the siege and send the troops in to take control, with the result that Jerusalem was destroyed and most of the population massacred.

Timothy 2:12 (women are inferior)
I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet.

Paul,who wrote this, was taught by Sybil and honored her as his teacher. This particular verse was written because of a specific heresy at a specific church and was an instruction to Timothy as to how to deal with the problem.

Judges 19:24-25 (here, have my daughter to rape)
"Behold, here is my daughter a maiden, and his concubine; them I will bring out now, and humble ye them, and do with them what seemeth good unto you: but unto this man do not so vile a thing. But the men would not hearken to him: so the man took his concubine, and brought her forth unto them; and they knew her, and abused her all the night until the morning: and when the day began to spring, they let her go."

This was indicative of the degeneracy of the time. The book of Judges describes a time when Israel was quite lawless and "everyone did what was right in their own eyes". It is not an instruction for fathers to allow their daughters to be raped.

Hosea 13:16 (Kill pregnant women and mutilate their bodies)
"Samaria shall become desolate; for she hath rebelled against her God: they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up."

This is not an instruction to be followed, but a prophecy of the horrors that would befall Israel because it had turned away from God. Assyria attacked Israel and purportedly did this. There are descriptions of similar horrific actions in Homer's Illiad.

Good ol' Holy Bible... So pure and innocent? I think not...

You truly are delusional if you think the Bible is pure and innocent.

The Bible and its believers do not make any claim that it is 'innocent'. Instead, it truthfully portrays the dangerous consequences of turning against God and seeking to follow personal ethical relativism.

edit on 18/12/2015 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Oh, it is ... but we don't allow that with Christianity. So I have to ask ... why is it suddenly different now that we are doing it with Islam? The rank hypocrisy with some of the posters here defending this is hilarious.

Imagine the uproar, if it had been a Christian Bible,Talmud or Hebrew Bible, being handed around a class of predominately Muslim children.

I liked the assignment and the passing around of the Koran. The Koran is a very neat book. It is written from right to left and in Arabic but also has english translation. I just want to say thank you to all of you people supporting Mrs. LaPorte. Mrs. LaPortes class is very fun and shes an amazing teacher.-Trystan Bryant

Bet the separation of church and state crowd would be out with pitch forks and ready to hang the evil Christians and Jews from the goal posts.

I wonder if they taught them how to write in Hebrew? It is also written back to front and they are both Semitic languages. I bet they didn't even teach them how they are the same, and why they are different. Any calligraphy classes in Hebrew?

Yet they want to try to sell you on, it is just about Geography and Social Studies. Keep sipping on the rain, I am sure it is refreshing.

edit on 18-12-2015 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: Word correction.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Imagine the uproar, if it had been a Christian Bible,Talmud or Hebrew Bible, being handed around a class of predominate Muslim children.

Easy one, that!!!

Here's what actually DID happen -------
The Taliban showed up......
and they got on a bus of schoolkids and shot Malala IN THE HEAD for wanting an education. IN AFGHANISTAN.

edit on 12/18/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   

it appears the teacher was just using the curriculum given to her by the school... but I don't especially think they were really trying to indoctrinate the kids.

thats exactly what they are trying to do , groom the children to further the politcal agenda ... its straddling the boundary of child abuse ...

School children being indoctrinated into new Green religion

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: AttitudeProblem

thats exactly what they are trying to do , groom the children to further the politcal agenda ...

Like - being able to relate to and work with people from faraway lands who have different worldviews than their own?

Yes. That's exactly what IS NECESSARY and what is IMPORTANT.

its straddling the boundary of child abuse ...

Whu........WHUT?

No - "Child Abuse" is keeping your kid sequestered in a bubble in your home and never allowing them to see what's outside the front door and past your face.......
"Child Abuse" is sending kids to religious schools and not letting them learn about kids in other schools.

"Child Abuse" is entering a bus full of schoolgirls and shooting them in the head......

"Child Abuse" is telling a kid they are worthless sinners, bound for hell, hopelessly lame, and guilty for the infractions of people who (supposedly) lived eons ago........
And that they'd better just shut up and sit down.

Yeah - tell Malala that you think only pariochal education is valid.

edit on 12/18/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   
If it was just for study, and not religious at all, then I have to wonder what (if any) drama would have occurred if a student had drawn Mohammed.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: 4N0M4LY

MATH, SCIENCE, HISTORY AND ENGLISH. Nothing else.

As it should be. Now can we get rid of liberal arts and women's studies? These college grads aren't making any money!

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
a reply to: Ghost147

We had RE at school and we did all the major religions I used to get detention a lot due to asking questions.
Oddly enough the one jewish girl in my class didn't have to attend but the Muslim girl did.
We didn't touch any subject on the eastern religions though dunno why.

Unless you are 6 then what you did in school is outdated in terms of religion in schools.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

As it should be. Now can we get rid of liberal arts and women's studies? These college grads aren't making any money!

They make good money as head frier at BK... They are all brained washed that some crap degree will get them a 100k a year job. I told my kids if your not being recruited by your Junior year your in the wrong degree...hehe BTW I had a plumber come out and he charged me about 240 bucks an hour, not bad for some low educated sap.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Only in America can kids be asked to learn about another culture and everyone loses there #.

HAHA No wonder the USA is one of the worst countrys in the developed world for education

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok
Wasn't teaching creationism just banned in your country's schools?

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
Only in America can kids be asked to learn about another culture and everyone loses there #.

HAHA No wonder the USA is one of the worst countrys in the developed world for education

If this was about education, we would not be discussing it.

It is deterioration in stages. Demonize religion until everyone is afraid to say anything that may be considered anti any particular religion, for fear of being accused of bigotry or xenophobia by association. Indoctrinate children and families, until parents are afraid to discipline their children, or be parents, for fear of having their children taken from them. Now it is education. Distort and control what a child can and should be taught, until everyone is afraid of offending someone, losing their jobs, or their children.

This is about an insidious and calculated control of our minds that will end with all enslaved or trapped.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Also do people not know the Jews,Christians and Muslims follow the same man made God?.

I hear this said a lot, but it's not really true.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75
a reply to: crazyewok
Wasn't teaching creationism just banned in your country's schools?
in science yes.

But we still are taught about diffrent religions and cultures in RE.

Its about context. Religion has no place in a science class room. It is appropriate in a RE class room thats designed to teach you about all religions around the world. And again its context. Re here is not about plugging one religion or converting kids, its about learning as impartially as possible the main religions of the world.
edit on 18-12-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam

Also do people not know the Jews,Christians and Muslims follow the same man made God?.

I hear this said a lot, but it's not really true.

Yes, it IS REALLY TRUE.

Those are the Abrahamic religions.

Just like your mother's cousins are part of your family, and your grandparents' great-great-grandparents......
Islam is the 2nd-to-most-recent "religion" spawned by Abrahamic historical fiction.

The MOST RECENT version is the Baha'i faith. Muslims have been slaughtering them, too - for decades.

Hatfields and McCoys come to mind.

edit on 12/18/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: grammar

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join