It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students Homework - Write Statement of Islamic Faith

page: 14
<< 11  12  13   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: Grimpachi
a reply to: Xtrozero

I said one would be naïve to think that they didn't talk about what it said in English.

I asked for evidence and you keep giving your opinion. As I stated the school did not ask them to translate it nor did they tell them what it meant according to what has been reported.

We are now full circle back to where we started. Go ahead call me naïve again.

The only thing we seem to agree on is that 'kids ask questions". Shocking!!!

There isn't even facts that teachers knew what it said.

It's possible they couldn't tell the kids if the kids asked.

I thought I read it was one teacher in one class.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: theonenonlyone
Imagine if they taught the true history of North America. The way they went about creating these "great" countries and the genocide done to the native people.

The real history and not just selective bits and pieces and that cultural genocide was being practiced just decades ago.

Imagine if all the nations tribes got together and fought as one force.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 04:54 PM
link   

I asked for evidence and you keep giving your opinion. As I stated the school did not ask them to translate it nor did they tell them what it meant according to what has been reported.

They were asked to copy the Shahada which is the Islamic creed declaring belief in the oneness of God and the acceptance of Muhammad as God's prophet. Do you not think religious non-Muslim parents might have issues with that? The paper even said "Here is the Shahada, the Islamic statement of faith"

No need to argue on this the above is enough, but I'm just saying you do not have a full discussion and somehow not talk about what some special calligraphy means as they spent time coping it.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   

It's possible they couldn't tell the kids if the kids asked.

I Googled it in 3 seconds...lol And the paper said "Here is the Shahada, the Islamic statement of faith"

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: theonenonlyone
Imagine if they taught the true history of North America. The way they went about creating these "great" countries and the genocide done to the native people.

The real history and not just selective bits and pieces and that cultural genocide was being practiced just decades ago.

I think the Spaniards need to start that History lesson.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I went back and re-read some articles on this.

The assignment was a workbook assignment. So it is more of a question about what board approved the school workbooks. It said it has been taught for years. Seems it is now an issue.

The homework assignment aimed to give students "an idea of the artistic complexity of calligraphy."

"Here is the shahada, the Islamic statement of faith, written in Arabic. In the space below, try copying it by hand. This should give you an idea of the artistic complexity of calligraphy."

Here is the homework assignment. Notice: No translation or request to translate.

So sinister!

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   

So sinister!

You are debating this from a non-religious point of view. For the religious they were coping the Islamic statement of faith in the correct Arabic format. Not something most religious people would want their kids to do who are not Muslim. They could have picked 1000 other calligraphy examples too.

How about "here is the occult symbol statement of faith, see if you can copy it below" same result ...

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

So sinister!

You are debating this from a non-religious point of view.

Public school. Secular.

I support multi-culturalism.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 05:30 PM
link   

So are you claiming one can be indoctrinated by completing that homework assignment?

What would have come and gone overnight has now been blown so far out of proportion that I am sure most of the kids now actually do know the translation they had plenty of time to look it up while school was closed.

The school has changed the assignment for the future which could have been accomplished without the over reaction.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   

So are you claiming one can be indoctrinated by completing that homework assignment?

No

What would have come and gone overnight has now been blown so far out of proportion that I am sure most of the kids now actually do know the translation they had plenty of time to look it up while school was closed.

The school has changed the assignment for the future which could have been accomplished without the over reaction.

Maybe, I'm just pointing out that it is a big deal to those who are religious, lets just say it wasn't very appropriate. I also wonder how those of the Muslim faith feel about their sacred calligraphy being used as a tool for non-Muslims to see how it is to write calligraphy. The best move is leave all the religious crap to each religion...

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   

I never said the assignment shouldn't be changed. As far as what those of the Muslim faith feel about it I am sure that would vary depending on who you ask. Just like if you ask some Christians they would claim the homework assignment is indoctrination.

There will always be oddball kooks. It wasn't that long ago that a Muslim went Batsnip crazy over the decoration on an icecream swirl container from BurgerKing that looked like a holy word to him to where they recalled them and changed it.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   

As far as what those of the Muslim faith feel about it I am sure that would vary depending on who you ask.

Yes. We all seem to be in agreement it was poor choice to use this particular script.

But, I do not agree with the Muslim woman who thinks its offensive for young girls to try on a hijab. That it's somehow mocking their belief.

I think it will help young girls relate better to a classmate who does choose to wear one.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   

There will always be oddball kooks.

I think this touched more than just the oddballs and Kooks, as I said leave the religious crap to each religion otherwise we have a good chance to totally F it up.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   

I think it will help young girls relate better to a classmate who does choose to wear one.

Well not to get your goat, well maybe I do...

But lets have all the girl dress full Burka and separate them from the boys and have the teacher only teach the boys and if a girl does anything they can be switched to get them back in to place. If we are going to show cultures then lets do it!... hehe

edit on 21-12-2015 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Well not to get your goat, well maybe I do...

But lets have all the girl dress full Burka and separate them from the boys and have the teacher only teach the boys and if a girl does anything they can be switched to get them back in to place. If we are going to show cultures then lets do it!... hehe

I support multi-culturalism.

Not extremism.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Not extremism.

Unfortunately I would not call that extremism. It is more of a norm than anything else. Most of the world sucks, but we want to teach our kids the Disney version of it, so I'm not sure what is worst little culture or Disney version of culture.

Do you feel like you lost something growing up in your white bread only neighborhood? I do not think so...You seem pretty damn well rounded to me.

edit on 21-12-2015 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Not extremism.

Unfortunately I would not call that extremism. It is more of a norm than anything else. Most of the world sucks, but we want to teach our kids the Disney version of it, so I'm not sure what is worst little culture or Disney version of culture.

Do you feel like you lost something growing up in your white bread only neighborhood? I do not think so...You seem pretty damn well rounded to me.

There are 350,000 different Christian sects wold wide. That many variations from one book.

As with Christians, Muslims vary. People define who they are within a belief, and how fundamental or liberal they want to be --- in a free country.

I will not stereotype them.

top topics

<< 11  12  13   >>

join