It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students Homework - Write Statement of Islamic Faith

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Agartha

De veras!

But, too many people won't see that what you and I are saying is common sense truth.
My kids are like yours - they know about lots of religions, but follow none.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs
Forgive me for saying, I find that highly unlikely.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: BarefootInWinter

I'm calling divide-and-conquer... again. There is just so much wrong with this on so many levels that I cannot believe it's anything else.

Why is a geography class teaching about religions? Were the students taught the religious tenets of all nations/regions or just Islam? Why would a religious text be used rather than a secular phrase? Were the students likewise taught about the alphabets of other nations/regions and assigned a writing assignment quoting their dominant religion? Were the students asked to write the "Apostle's Creed" in Latin for traditionally Roman Catholic nations? And to write the Four Noble Truths in Chinese?

Obviously, if this was a routine assignment from the standard curriculum, the teacher did nothing wrong and should not be penalized for it. The problem is with those who made it part of the standard curriculum, who also knew that it would be controversial to say the least, and in the absence of equal application, grossly violates that wall of separation between church and state... or should I say mosque and state?

And as far as learning about the world's religions, I think that should have been part of public education all along, especially in terms of teaching kids to respect and how to respect people of different faiths.

If it had been my kids given this assignment, I would have had them choose and write a comparable phrase in Arabic, and attached my own note to the assignment telling the teacher if she has a problem with it, take it up with me -- not my child -- as it was my decision, explaining that religious doctrine -- ANY religious doctrine -- is unacceptable unless ALL religious doctrines are addressed in the same manner.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Whose 'uneducated' now ?

I think some people are cornfusing cultural anthropology with GEOGRAPHY.

This is what GEOGRAPHY is:

geography [jee-og-ruh-fee] Examples Word Origin noun, plural geographies. 1. the science dealing with the areal differentiation of the earth's surface, as shown in the character, arrangement, and interrelations over the world of such elements as climate, elevation, soil, vegetation, population, land use, industries, or states, and of the unit areas formed by the complex of these individual elements.

dictionary.reference.com...

Might want to walk back that so called 'intellectual' superiority.

edit on 18-12-2015 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: OpenMindedRealist

Separation of church and state - another principle championed by leftists only when it is convenient.

Quoted for TRUTH.

Now instead of religion they are calling it 'culture'.

The kings of trying to have it both ways.

You would be thinking of "The Establishment Clause", this does allow for the teaching of religion in schools if one single religion isn't favored over others.

This class gives an overview of multiple religions. One phrase in a calligraphy 'extra credit' assignment doesn't overstep this boundary.

Definitely not legally and certainly not logically. If the next box to copy a phrase was the one you used, it would be just the same.
edit on 18-12-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: OpenMindedRealist

Forgive me for saying, I find that highly unlikely.

So do I.

But nevertheless - better to be prepared, don't you think? Given all the "heightened" suspicion and supposed "terrorist infiltration" of our borders???

Or let's not even address "terrorism" - if you were suddenly surrounded by people who don't speak English and you needed a bathroom, what would you do? I used to teach Spanish as a Second Language. One of the exercises was for the class to try to get across to the person next to them that they urgently needed a bathroom - without using WORDS.

Try it. Or at least, imagine it.

edit on 12/18/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Whose 'uneducated' now ?

I think some people are cornfusing cultural anthropology with GEOGRAPHY.

This is what GEOGRAPHY is:

geography [jee-og-ruh-fee] Examples Word Origin noun, plural geographies. 1. the science dealing with the areal differentiation of the earth's surface, as shown in the character, arrangement, and interrelations over the world of such elements as climate, elevation, soil, vegetation, population, land use, industries, or states, and of the unit areas formed by the complex of these individual elements.

dictionary.reference.com...

Might want to walk back that so called 'intellectual' superiority.

High Schools do not have 'Cultural Anthropology class'. They have World Geography and Social Studies. Sometimes it is a mix of the 2. Sometimes they have separate history classes (American, European, etc.), but it depends on the district.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

They have World Geography and Social Studies. Sometimes it is a mix of the 2.

Yep!

Social Studies. An integral part of education. Goes hand in hand with World Geography, of course.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Just have the students write the lesson, then have them draw a picture of Mohammed.

That should even things out.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Yeah well when I went to school religion wasn't a part of the lesson plan.

Hell wasn't part of the lesson plan at the University of Louisville either.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Although I would not personally make that statement of faith (as I am a Christian), Arabic calligraphy is beautiful.

I also see the value of de-toxifying the Western image of Islam. The actions of terrorists who call themselves Islamic is not representative of all Muslims. Most Muslims are lawful, peaceful, honest people. The terrorists are criminals, even 'Christian' society has those.

As far as comparative theology goes, it is the love and compassion of God for man (and, hopefully, for each other) that is a significant point of difference between Islam and Christianity.

As far as 'evangelizing' goes, it seems to me that preventing someone from knowing the beliefs of another faith does not allow wise choice to happen. A true seeker must be allowed to seek the truth!

edit on 18/12/2015 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

That was before. This is now. Young adults need to know how to deal with other cultures. Here OR ABROAD.

Well, that's good. "Hell" is imaginary.

edit on 12/18/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

I'm calling divide-and-conquer... again. There is just so much wrong with this on so many levels that I cannot believe it's anything else.

Why is a geography class teaching about religions? Were the students taught the religious tenets of all nations/regions or just Islam? Why would a religious text be used rather than a secular phrase? Were the students likewise taught about the alphabets of other nations/regions and assigned a writing assignment quoting their dominant religion? Were the students asked to write the "Apostle's Creed" in Latin for traditionally Roman Catholic nations? And to write the Four Noble Truths in Chinese?

Obviously, if this was a routine assignment from the standard curriculum, the teacher did nothing wrong and should not be penalized for it. The problem is with those who made it part of the standard curriculum, who also knew that it would be controversial to say the least, and in the absence of equal application, grossly violates that wall of separation between church and state... or should I say mosque and state?

And as far as learning about the world's religions, I think that should have been part of public education all along, especially in terms of teaching kids to respect and how to respect people of different faiths.

If it had been my kids given this assignment, I would have had them choose and write a comparable phrase in Arabic, and attached my own note to the assignment telling the teacher if she has a problem with it, take it up with me -- not my child -- as it was my decision, explaining that religious doctrine -- ANY religious doctrine -- is unacceptable unless ALL religious doctrines are addressed in the same manner.

It is from this book. So, yes, an overview of most religions would be given.

I am sure your note would be welcomed and your child allowed a comparable assignment. It was an 'extra credit' assignment due at week's end. It is one that gives a 'sticker' to offset a student;s lowest grade.

It is in World Geography as sometimes 6-9th grade does not have a separate Social Studies class. The book was picked far in advance of the school year and the syllabus created far in advance.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   

In the UK they link subjects, so if this term you are learning about Christianity (as an example) in art they will relate it to it, Geography may link it to countries associated to the religion etc.

I wasn't that lucky, when I was young we only learned about Christianity in a very Catholic environment (in Italy).

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   
The book's description:

Introduce students to the major world religions: Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Sikhism, and Taoism.

Link to book.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Religion is NOT a culture.

It's is PART of a culture.

My son had to learn ancient history. His text book covered the rise of the major religions. All were covered, none were singled out.

At no point was he required to write a prayer or say a prayer. He was not required to participate in any type of ceremony of any of those religions.

He was required to read the chapters, pay attention to the information the teacher put out, and pass exams on it.

Each section provided links and resources for any students that wished to learn more.

I was completely satisfied with how it was taught, and agreed that ALL religions have played a very important part of our history, and even in today's current events.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I don't see an issue with it. Islam is not ISIS is not Islam...

Parents should just be happy their kids are learning SOMETHING these days.

I am SO tired of these kinds of topics. Everyone is offended by everything, anything Islamic is terrorism, blah, blah, blah.

The word for 2015?? Offended.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Parents were, needless to say, less than thrilled that their children were required to write "There is no god but Allah. Muhammad is the messenger of Allah."

It should be pointed out that your translation is wrong.

"There is no god but Allah" Is actually "There is no god but god". Allah is the Arabic word for God.

BTW the students were not given the translation nor were they asked to translate it so they didn't know what it meant.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Agartha

In the UK they link subjects, so if this term you are learning about Christianity (as an example) in art they will relate it to it, Geography may link it to countries associated to the religion etc.

I wasn't that lucky, when I was young we only learned about Christianity in a very Catholic environment (in Italy).

That is what they do here. This is not new. I am not sure why this has become an issue.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Agartha

Schools still celebrate Christmas but they have also added other celebrations, like Diwali and Eid and I think that says a lot about how great the British education system is.

It has always been that way in the parts of America where I have lived, over a lot of years.

Christmas was a holiday that everyone welcomed and celebrated in the communities where I lived. We celebrated Hanukkah, Kwanza, and any other holidays that coincided with the holiday season without any problems.

This new campaign by many, especially some radicalized atheist, in their claimed mission, to make sure that all religions are treated equally, they are using Islam as their poster child, to incite people of different religions to turn against each other.

Their real goal is to abolish all religion. What better way to do that then to have the religions do their dirty work for them.

I have my own personal reason and beliefs on why I feel the way I do about religion. Even though I distrust and dislike religion, I have no desire to force my beliefs on you, nor do I wish you to stop believing or worshiping who you choose.

You can even share with me your beliefs and why you believe, and I may share with you why I don't. I don't find it offensive if you wish to hang butterflies, lights, ornaments from a tree, or decorate your yard with a zombie nativity scene. You can read what ever book you choose, you can say Heil Hitler, or Hail Satan, I may not like it, but I will not try to take away your right to do it, or say it.

What is going on in America is more than political. It is an attempt to force everyone to think, and behave like a select group of people wish you to. Things were just fine, before this group came from out the woodwork and decided it was their job to be the savior of religious freedoms and equality.

There was no problem until they created the problem.

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join