It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students Homework - Write Statement of Islamic Faith

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

Yes, in all three religions it is the God of Abraham, or did you not know that?

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I think parents should be required to give their children THOROUGH education, and NOT sequester them into a little bubble of dogma.

Good god - there was no "government endorsement" of a SPECIFIC RELIGION here. sigh

You make me tired.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   

I have studied it a lot, Its what I was interested in at college and uni, and there is a large amount of hard and fast evidence, it is even common knowledge, Rabbis, Priests, Immas and schools teach it.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   
You know, I don't really look at it as that big of a deal.

On the other hand, if it was a statement of faith that they were copying from a Catholic catechism or something Christian, then I'm sure that people would be going ballistic over it. So, hey, let's apply the same standards to everybody.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Learningman

I have studied it a lot, Its what I was interested in at college and uni, and there is a large amount of hard and fast evidence, it is even common knowledge, Rabbis, Priests, Immas and schools teach it.

Yes, yes, yes, a bunch of people teach a thing, but that doesn't always make it right.

Not so long ago, a bunch of people taught that rotten meat spontaneously generated maggots and bad air spread disease too. They also used to teach that the world was flat because everyone simply knew it was true and all the evidence said so. That is what happens when we have consensus and people tamely accept it.

When we talk about the theology of a thing and the spiritual derivations of Allah, whether or not Allah is God as the Hebrews knew Him or the Christians know Him or another entity entirely is up for debate. Since I have not heard that anyone has yet to be able to definitively prove much more than that the three religions in question share some common roots of practice, custom and some belief, there is still plenty of room to debate who the main entity in question for each one may or may not be.

In other words, no one has been able to prove God ... or so every atheist continually tells me.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Learningman

Yes, in all three religions it is the God of Abraham, or did you not know that?

Of course I know it is said. It's an opinion.

edit on 12/18/2015 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

I think parents should be required to give their children THOROUGH education, and NOT sequester them into a little bubble of dogma.

Good god - there was no "government endorsement" of a SPECIFIC RELIGION here. sigh

You make me tired.

Oh, so you can prove that they also are required to copy the phrase "Jesus Christ is my personal Lord and Savior" as part of learning about the History and Culture of Christians?

If not, then it is indeed government endorsement of religion.

Yes, it does wear you out doesn't it? But this is the exact type of argument that comes up every time someone even gets a whiff that there might be a hint of Christian anything in the schools.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   

What is an oppinion? The b=Bible clearly states in the OT it is the God of Abraham, as does the Torah and the Quran.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Learningman

Sigh. It is an OPINION. Your preferred opinion is they are the same. My preferred opinion is they are not. Frankly, I don't have much conflict with Allah. It is the prophet they worship who has the religion of Islam so conflicted. And that is my opinion.

edit on 12/18/2015 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   
originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

I support teaching ALL RELIGIONS in public school, appropriate to the students' age level, or NONE. I do NOT support teaching "only one" (Christianity or Islam or whatever) and plastering the walls with "the 10 commandments" (or whatever) and homework with "scripture memorization" to the exclusion of any other religion. If you're going to teach ONE, TEACH THEM ALL - otherwise, teach NONE of them.

Yet you say:

So, you're okay with schools pointing out the NEGATIVE things about Christianity, and comparing and contrasting those things with other religions' negative points?

Or, are you wanting to shield young, impressionable psyches from ever hearing about the atrocities and confusion caused by "Christianity"?

Why do you comment on just Christianity? Where are the (Christianity or Islam or whatever), in your post?

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   

I'm afraid it is a fact that the Bible the Torah and the Quran all state the God to be the God of Abraham. You can't just call that opinion, it is there, in the books. It is not my opinion, it is a verifiable fact. I can agree with your vies on Muhammad as a prophet, you are a Christian, there is no reason you would view him as a prophet. but this does not change the fact that all of the three books profess the creator to being the God Abraham worshipped. That is why they are called the Abrahamic religions. Fact ,not opinion.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Oh, so you can prove that they also are required to copy the phrase "Jesus Christ is my personal Lord and Savior" as part of learning about the History and Culture of Christians?

If not, then it is indeed government endorsement of religion.

Yes, it does wear you out doesn't it? But this is the exact type of argument that comes up every time someone even gets a whiff that there might be a hint of Christian anything in the schools.

Anyone who even attempts to refute anything here is only showing hypocrisy and bigotry against Christianity.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If this is about calligraphy, then indeed it is beautiful. My niece is gifted in this art, but has never had to write any religious statements of any sort.

Have them write Arabic calligraphy. Let them write the Lord's Prayer in Arabic.

Just joking. They could have a written a recipe for vegetable soup in Arabic. Who cares? It's all beautiful. It's the selection that I have problems with.

Doesn't take a genius to see the difference.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   

I had to recite the lords prayer in school, i diddn't mind. I was asked to play jesus in a play, I diddn't mind. Fed up of this pc stuff.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: BarefootInWinter

Maybe the teacher should have asked the students to study the Art of War and cite these verses from Sun Tzu..

Know thy enemy, know thy self, a thousand battles, a thousand victories.

Appear weak when you are strong and strong when you are weak.

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.

The supreme Art of War is to subdue the enemy without fighting

This way, the students will learn something else about the 3 monotheistic religions in one foul swoop, that being how all the worlds religious wars through-out our recorded history take shape using Sun Tzu's tactics and philosophies. Bearing in mind that history is written by the victors of course.
edit on 18-12-2015 by Sublimecraft because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   

I had to recite the lords prayer in school, i diddn't mind. I was asked to play jesus in a play, I diddn't mind. Fed up of this pc stuff.

You are preaching to the choir.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   

I'm afraid it is a fact that the Bible the Torah and the Quran all state the God to be the God of Abraham. You can't just call that opinion, it is there, in the books. It is not my opinion, it is a verifiable fact. I can agree with your vies on Muhammad as a prophet, you are a Christian, there is no reason you would view him as a prophet. but this does not change the fact that all of the three books profess the creator to being the God Abraham worshipped. That is why they are called the Abrahamic religions. Fact ,not opinion.

Oh My. I will let this go. You are welcome to your opinion, and I'll just leave it.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Religion no matter what religion doesn't belong in the curriculum plain and simple, it has nothing to do with religious freedom or freedom of religion but it falls on separation of state and church.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Again, not an opinion, its in your book, but ok.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Again, not an opinion, its in your book, but ok.

Just let me add, lol!, (and I'm tiring of this back and forth also) but I actually cannot fathom how you can possibly think this is more than opinion. Because it's in the Old Books, and you take every word as literal? I guess that must be it, what's formed your thinking. Adam and Eve, creation in seven days, got it, I think.

Anyway, neither here nor there. Just trying to discern your thinking, it doesn't matter in the long run what either of us thinks.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft
I prefer the words of Marcus Aurelius. He speaks to the ATS side of me.

" The best revenge is to be unlike him who performed the injury. "

" How much time he saves who does not look to see what his neighbor says or does or thinks. "

" Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears. "

" We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that. "
Marcus Aurelius

I think sometimes that I have to channel the Marcus Aurelius in me to fight my daily, battles and I try so very hard to live my life being fair to others, while being fair to myself.

" Let it be your constant method to look into the design of people's actions, and see what they would be at, as often as it is practicable; and to make this custom the more significant, practice it first upon yourself. "
Marcus Aurelius

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join