It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students Homework - Write Statement of Islamic Faith

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

However, I'm a major supporter of multiculturalism.

Why? I'd love to hear your reasons.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

Why would I be interested in that?

My point on gender is clear.

Why wouldn't you?

Read it and see.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Why would I be interested in that?

My point on gender is clear.

Why wouldn't you?

Read it and see.

Wrong thread.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 08:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

However, I'm a major supporter of multiculturalism.

Why? I'd love to hear your reasons.

My reason was in my post.

I was raised in a squeaky white Christian neighborhood. That's not what the world is.

It's a disservice to isolate children from the real world.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 08:33 PM
link   

However, I'm a major supporter of multiculturalism. I was raised in a squeaky white Christian neighborhood. It really does a disservice to isolate a kid from the diversities of the real world.

How about bring in Middle Eastern people in full dress and different foods from there and have the kids meet them and ask questions as they all kind of socialize. How would a non-Christian family like their child to be told to transcribe "Jesus is you one and true savior, no others come before him". I'm sure they would enjoy the cultural mix..lol

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

You just had terrible parents, why wouldn't they move you to the ghetto? dam racists!

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

However, I'm a major supporter of multiculturalism. I was raised in a squeaky white Christian neighborhood. It really does a disservice to isolate a kid from the diversities of the real world.

How about bring in Middle Eastern people in full dress and different foods from there and have the kids meet them and ask questions as they all kind of socialize. How would a non-Christian family like their child to be told to transcribe "Jesus is you one and true savior, no others come before him". I'm sure they would enjoy the cultural mix..lol

They have done that in my grandsons elementary school. They had a multicultural event, food, dress, music, etc. I love my multicultural neighborhood. Actually, it was just last week, but we were too sick to go.

Yes, I agree with you they should have used a more neutral passage.

Probably those that complained would still complain.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 09:08 PM
link   

They have done that in my grandsons elementary school. They had a multicultural event, food, dress, music, etc. I love my multicultural neighborhood. Actually, it was just last week, but we were too sick to go.

You and I went to school in different times. Today the world is basically one and so kids get cultural influences all the time unlike you and I did back in the day. Hell we had maybe a wall map as to how close we ever got to another country and it's people. I really do not think kids today are loosing anything at all with how diverse schools tend to be today and the focus on cultures, oh and the internet that connects all of us.

When religion takes a path of study at the public school level then it is wrong.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

You and I went to school in different times. Today the world is basically one and so kids get cultural influences all the time unlike you and I did back in the day. Hell we had maybe a wall map as to how close we ever got to another country and it's people. I really do not think kids today are loosing anything at all with how diverse schools tend to be today and the focus on cultures, oh and the internet that connects all of us.

When religion takes a path of study at the public school level then it is wrong.

Well, yeah

It's still kind of a quagmire. Just look at the political religious fight in America.

War is really not about religion, it's about Power/Control/Money. But, I don't know how addressing it can be avoided in today's education.

Being atheist I am 100% against any religion in school. But, I'm also a realist.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: BarefootInWinter
Well, as if the situation concerning Islam wasn't tense enough, a Virginia highschool gave students some really unfortunate homework.

This is no surprise considering (did you know) that islam is very deeply ingrained into American and British schools and its curriculum. They have been working at this for many years, since the 1980's. They created a foreign integration where they actually make 'friendly relations' among important faculties that allow them to push islamic faith into the curriculum. Frightening yeah? Considering mothers and fathers have no idea about this happening while they send their children off to school, later in life they become 'PC' to it all and allow radical ideas into the public domain. Even more scary? Yeah, I would agree... IT has been known that islamic teachings in America have had children actually dress up in burkas to give them extra points against passing their work. Madness?

I would say, both people in Britain and America need to seriously start checking what exactly their children are learning at school and care a little bit more. Also start pushing this nonsense out.
edit on 20-12-2015 by BlackProject because: (no reason given)

Radical British Schools

Radical American Schools

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Well it looks like a lot more went on in this class than they first admitted to.

As I suspected their intent is insidious and underhand and the parents have every right to be upset.

But the students weren’t informed that the shahada translated to: “There is no god but Allah, and Muhammad is the messenger of Allah.” When some parents began digging further, they discovered that the students had also been shown copies of the Koran, and some had even tried on a headscarf that resembled a hijab that is worn by Muslim women. What’s more, one student claims that she was coerced into wearing the hijab after declining to do so.

Students Were Given a Drawing Assignment for a Lesson on Islam. Then Parents Googled Its Meaning…

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Being atheist I am 100% against any religion in school. But, I'm also a realist.

The bible was required reading in my high school and I didn't read it, mainly because I really didn't care to read it. I have no desire to read the Koran either, just don't care what it says since I have a general idea what both books talk about. Having kids late in my life I have a 15 and 12 year old and the basics of school Math, English, Science is so weak these days it really pisses me off. It's like even Grade/high school has gone the route of weak sauce of crappy classes that will get our kids nowhere in life while taking away from core subjects to do it, so personally I care less about arts an liberal classes. I guess it's preparation for the crappy degrees they will get that will get them a good job at burger king...lol.
edit on 20-12-2015 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 10:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Well it looks like a lot more went on in this class than they first admitted to.

As I suspected their intent is insidious and underhand and the parents have every right to be upset.

But the students weren’t informed that the shahada translated to: “There is no god but Allah, and Muhammad is the messenger of Allah.” When some parents began digging further, they discovered that the students had also been shown copies of the Koran, and some had even tried on a headscarf that resembled a hijab that is worn by Muslim women. What’s more, one student claims that she was coerced into wearing the hijab after declining to do so.

Students Were Given a Drawing Assignment for a Lesson on Islam. Then Parents Googled Its Meaning…

So all they were assigned to do is copy a drawing.

At no point were they introduced or taught any religious script.

Yes, the drawing was poor judgement. But, no religion was taught.

Is that correct?

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   

But the students weren’t informed that the shahada translated to: “There is no god but Allah, and Muhammad is the messenger of Allah.” When some parents began digging further, they discovered that the students had also been shown copies of the Koran, and some had even tried on a headscarf that resembled a hijab that is worn by Muslim women. What’s more, one student claims that she was coerced into wearing the hijab after declining to do so. Students Were Given a Drawing Assignment for a Lesson on Islam. Then Parents Googled Its Meaning…

No you are not correct. It wasn't just a copying exercise.

edit on 20-12-2015 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: Format fix.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 12:37 AM
link   

But the students weren’t informed that the shahada translated to: “There is no god but Allah, and Muhammad is the messenger of Allah.” When some parents began digging further, they discovered that the students had also been shown copies of the Koran, and some had even tried on a headscarf that resembled a hijab that is worn by Muslim women. What’s more, one student claims that she was coerced into wearing the hijab after declining to do so. Students Were Given a Drawing Assignment for a Lesson on Islam. Then Parents Googled Its Meaning…

Shown the Koran and experiencing the headscarf has what to do with the the word meaning of an art project.

Oh, the drama!

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 05:11 AM
link   

If they were learning about Hinduism they would have discussed all the different gods and goddesses, made paper lanterns for Diwali, coloured mandalas and even paint a red Tilak (dot) on the forehead. I remember my daughter coming home telling me about all the goddesses that were showing their 'boobies'! lol

When learning about Buddishm they would listen to Tibetan chants and practice chanting mantras.

Once I accompanied my daughters class on a visit to a mosque and as a sign of respect I wore a scarf on my head and my daughter a hijab. When we went home she told me how uncomfortable it was to wear a hijab for a couple of hours, she wanted to take it off after a while because it felt like it was suffocating her. She then said she was very glad she was not a muslim an didn't have to wear it all the time. See, this activities are just to make children experience very briefly the culture of their classmates. Nothing else.

Should they have chosen another text for the Arabic calligraphy homework? Maybe so, but they also learn about Buddhist and Hindu prayers and I don't see anybody complaining about that. My children grew up experiencing all types of religions and yet they are absolute non believers.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Agartha
It was a class project where the parents were informed and gave their consent. They parents and the child had the opportunity to decline to participate if they chose.

It was a class project that you and your family embraced. These parents nor children were given this option. Some of the children and parents would have liked to have been given the choice to not participate, if they so desired, as it should have been.

When the child said she did not want to participate in the dress up, or have her picture made public after participating under duress, they should have listened to her and not badgered her into doing something she had already made clear she did not want to do.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Shown the Koran and experiencing the headscarf has what to do with the the word meaning of an art project. Oh, the drama!

I agree.

You stated:

So all they were assigned to do is copy a drawing.

I responded:

So I agree there may have have been a bit more drama expressed in your response than may have been necessary.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   

When the child said she did not want to participate in the dress up, or have her picture made public after participating under duress, they should have listened to her and not badgered her into doing something she had already made clear she did not want to do.

Does it say how old these children are?

Because I'd seriously question the extent and validity of refusal and duress of a child depending on age.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: BarefootInWinter

Isn't it interesting how anti-religion in schools the left is when we're talking about Christianity, but suddenly they turn pro-religion when we're talking about Islam in schools?

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join