It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Confederate Flag on Truck at La Crosse Campus Stirs Debate

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I think somewhere along the way many people got being irked confused with being "offended."

Case in point.... far too often I find myself sitting in traffic behind one of two things (or sometimes both)....

1) That Calvin and Hobbs (sometimes other characters) window decals of the character taking a leak on something.

2) Those balls (like, testicle sack balls) that some people hang off the back of their pick-up trucks.

I find them distasteful. I'd rather not see them. But I'm sure as heck not "offended" by them.

P.S. - I love Calvin and Hobbs (just not the urinating stickers)

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: snarky412

See... People keep saying he complied willingly and maybe he did... Maybe he didn't. There is a difference between a choice and "a choice". We've all been there and I don't know why folks are acting like they haven't.

Of course any worker would have complied. He was probably told that he could remove it or go home and stay there until that job was done.

It's almost Christmas time... Who can afford to go home? Who wants to chance losing their job in this economy?

You don't have to remove it but....

Yeah. Lots of choice there.

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe
a reply to: DBCowboy

You'll shut up, take it, and like it because you're from the wrong side of the tracks. What you feel no longer matters.

There is no bias report for your feefees....

So my feefees (I love that term) aren't important unless they involve inhibiting the rights and free expressions of others.

Dang.

That is EXACTLY what I'm saying.

I made that up years ago when my daughter was very young. We still use it now and giggle about it.
edit on 11/30/2015 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Yea, until I ran across this article, thought it was just a cheapo bumper sticker, so no big deal

But nope, this ain't no cheap bumper sticker
And I highly doubt the trucker was very happy to comply

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Oh good God... My husband is a sawmiller and almost every rig that hauls logs for them has that on their grill.

Yeah... I'm doubting he removed that "happily". I was picturing a pick up truck with a tiny sticker on it when I overheard it on the news earlier.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 07:01 PM
link   

I know...we travel a lot along I-10, and we see these big rigs all the time with this on their grill, never thought twice about it

But now with the MSM and schools teaching negative crap about the rebel flag, people have found a new phobia to speak out against

"Reb-phobia"

Except it has gone farther than just the flag unfortunately, now the whole South is looked down upon as racist (sigh)

P.S. BTW, like your avi

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Except it has gone farther than just the flag unfortunately, now the whole South is looked down upon as racist (sigh)

A tradition in my house (that I don't remember when/how it got started) was that the day after Thanksgiving we watch a "classic" movie. By happenstance, this year one of the cable channels was playing Gone with the Wind and my wife had commented that "Soon THIS will be banned as well."

Strange days.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Bumping for illustration...

He paid to have that painted on. Its no two to three $ sticker.
Not so sure he was happy to paint over it. But what do people wish he did instead of comply...

paint the whole truck with the flag...riot....????

The bulls balls on the back hitch are offensive against men's manliness. Offend women who have to see them.Remove at once!

edit on 30-11-2015 by Dystopian7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   

If that is what is referenced to in the story, then it is not a sticker at all but a front grill cover.

These covers snap on/off. They are used as bug protectors/winter covers to reduce air flow through the radiator allowing faster engine warm-up and better temperature control in cold climates.

edit on 30-11-2015 by Dreamwatcher because: Fix run-on

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: eluryh22

A tradition in my house (that I don't remember when/how it got started) was that the day after Thanksgiving we watch a "classic" movie. By happenstance, this year one of the cable channels was playing Gone with the Wind and my wife had commented that "Soon THIS will be banned as well."

Strange days.

Sad but true

Soon people won't be able to call their kid "Bubba" or "Hunter" for fear and panic it may cause others *face palm*

Divide, conquer and instill fear

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: MagesticEsoteric

If they did, so what? Are people not allowed to seek counseling for things that upset them? Or are you just trying to belittle them because you don't agree with their grievances?

If they actually called for extra counselors over a sticker then, have at it folks. You're right, it is their right if they need to sit down with someone, have their hand held and talk about their feelings of fear and angst.

I don't belittle anyone who truly has fear and angst...not my style.

If this guy was draped in a confederate flag and running around all over campus with a gun screaming racist threats...THEN I could understand and sympathize with their fear.

A man had a sticker on his truck, this man showed up to work to earn a buck...he didn't verbally or physically threaten or attack anyone. So, yeah...I think this is a bit over the top and I'm entitled to that opinion just as you are to yours.

It's my opinion that things are starting to get just a tad out of hand as of late...did you read the thread about YOGA for Christ's sake?

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

My husband and I were watching old reruns of Matlock the other night and thought the same thing. I am not sure there is an episode of that, that does not have a confederate flag in it. We were wondering if they would actually go in there and scrub it out at some point like it never existed.

Rewrite history. Orwell and junk...

Living in the south... I know what you mean completely.

And thanks.

I'm glad to see you posting!

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dystopian7

Bumping for illustration...

The bulls balls on the back hitch are offensive against men's manliness. Offend women who have to see them.Remove at once!

LMAO....oh man, we see them all the time

In fact, Terri a lady friend of ours, has a set on her Dodge dualy p/u
It is common for us to see those

Yep, that will be next on the chopping block (pun intended)

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   

There is a difference between a choice and "a choice". We've all been there and I don't know why folks are acting like they haven't.

Not on just this thread, but I have been trying to come up with a way to explain that while it's true We The People still have freedom of speech in the sense that the Government won't necessarily throw us in the slammer for saying something (or displaying a flag), our fellow citizens and the press (can you believe it... the press) is doing that dirty work FOR the government.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

And that's it in a nut shell.

Everyone can still claim that the 1st Amendment isn't being violated, but schools and universities have become petri dishes of intolerance and inhibitions of rights.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Dystopian7

The bulls balls on the back hitch...

Wait... they are BULLS balls? I never knew that. I can't say if that makes more sense or less.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe
Think of the children!!!!!!

What did the children ever do with themselves when they saw the confederate flag before this year? Did we not love them and their feelings before then? Did their feelings not matter until now?

How did so many children not expire in their beds in South Carolina for the last few generations? They received no counseling either yet they continued to thrive and exist without the need for a safe spot to release all of their fear and angst.

All of these abused kids from generations ago somehow dealt with all of this fear and angst...

I'm not even being funny here. Somehow in the last year this flag is being treated like people have PTSD from the mere sight of it. None of those complaining about it were around when slavery existed yet all of the sudden there is extreme fear and angst.

A bigger load of Bravo Sierra than I have seen in quite a bit.

Boy oh' Boy did you just nail it in my opinion.

The Confederate flag wasn't even an issue discussed in mainstream ANYTHING as far as I recall...that is until about 5 months or so ago. After South Carolina didn't lower the flag to half staff after the church massacre.

No one was yelling fear and angst at the sight if a confederate flag prior to that as far as I can recall.

This is just another division tactic in my opinion.

That's also why I don't buy into the whole fear and angst over a dang sticker....it's just too much for me.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Americas favorite sport, getting offended at people behing offended.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969
Americas favorite sport, getting offended at people behing offended.

I call B.S. on that sentiment.

Example: If person A get's "offended" because person B says, "God bless you" and person A is an atheist..... I might think person A is a complete idiot... but that does NOT mean I am "offended" by it.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: dukeofjive696969

Once again...

Thinking their sudden faux offendedness is stupid, faked, staged, outrageous, etc. does not equate to being offended.

Two completely different things.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: dukeofjive696969

I like you. You're funny. But I do have a question that I've asked others before and have never gotten an answer.

Is it inhibiting free expression to stop people from inhibiting free expression?

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join