It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Confederate Flag on Truck at La Crosse Campus Stirs Debate

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: LSU0408

Later in the war, Lincoln changed his tune. Though like you told another poster, the Emancipation Proclamation only applied to Southern Slaves (not to mention it is likely very unconstitutional).

It is likely he got that nickname because of people who didn't study history thoroughly enough to get all the nuances of the war. Kind of like mislabeling the South's position in the war as "States' Rights" instead of "States' right to own slaves".

Keep throwing that little false tidbit in there. Confederate soldiers didn't write the Declarations of Secession.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe
What did the children ever do with themselves when they saw the confederate flag before this year?

Obviously, they were stricken with "fear and angst," leading them to cower in the corner, piddling on themselves, weeping, and sucking their little baby thumbs.

*sigh*

God, I miss the days when Americans had some measure of thickness to their skin. Life was better back then, not watching supposed adults bleed out when a butterfly landed on their arm and lacerated their paper thin skins.

Says the people who are visibly upset that other people are upset about something they don't think is upsetting.

Being upset and being astounded by ignorance are two completely different things. I don't get upset over it. Quite the contrary actually... I have watched this unfold in awe. It absolutely amazes me.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Coulda fooled me. It seems to me that the people most upset and butthurt over political correctness are the ones called out for not being PC. After all, these threads pop up about once a week with some random bit of PC happening in the country, followed by a ton of people who don't understand how the 1st Amendment works whining that the 1st Amendment is being eroded with the actions in the article in the OP (though I'm not exactly accusing you of this, I'm speaking in generalities right now).

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

It means nothing to me. I see stupidity on both sides that isn't worth whining about in either regard. All I care about is making sure people stop dragging the 1st Amendment into every one of these stupid discussions.
edit on 30-11-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: LSU0408

Not to mention his attempt to colonize and send all the blacks to Liberia.

The American Colonization Society was started in 1822. Lincoln was a member but the idea existed long before he was involved in politics.

They thought it was the best approach to getting rid of slavery because they didn't think whites and blacks could live together peaceably.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   

What did the children ever do with themselves when they saw the confederate flag before this year?

Obviously, they were stricken with "fear and angst," leading them to cower in the corner, piddling on themselves, weeping, and sucking their little baby thumbs.

*sigh*

God, I miss the days when Americans had some measure of thickness to their skin. Life was better back then, not watching supposed adults bleed out when a butterfly landed on their arm and lacerated their paper thin skins.

Says the people who are visibly upset that other people are upset about something they don't think is upsetting.

Straw man much? Its perfectly OK for anyone to be upset for any reason, even if you don't like that reason. The only ones upset are the 'give me' students.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Yea and not all Nazi soldiers contributed to killing Jews, that doesn't mean we don't remember the Nazis as a bunch of Jew genociders.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Jesus, guys. Don't you think this has been taken to an absurd extreme?

It's only a sticker and the guy didn't apparently have a problem with taking it off.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU0408

They thought it was the best approach to getting rid of slavery because they didn't think whites and blacks could live together peaceably.

That may be the case but it in fact turned out to be a very uninfluential position as only a little over 10,000 people were able to emigrate to Liberia from the United States. The sentiment that blacks were not mental equals to whites was not just a position shared by Lincoln and those in the ACS, it was a rather prevalent mentality at that time encompassing the majority of whites on both sides of the war.

link   
a reply to: BIGPoJo

Its perfectly OK for anyone to be upset for any reason, even if you don't like that reason

NOW who is strawmaning? Where did I say it wasn't ok for anyone to be upset for any reason? Not to mention you just get done saying this then say this:

The only ones upset are the 'give me' students.

Well if it is ok for anyone to be upset for any reason, then who the # cares who is really upset or not?

link   

Think of the children!!!!!!

What did the children ever do with themselves when they saw the confederate flag before this year? Did we not love them and their feelings before then? Did their feelings not matter until now?

How did so many children not expire in their beds in South Carolina for the last few generations? They received no counseling either yet they continued to thrive and exist without the need for a safe spot to release all of their fear and angst.

All of these abused kids from generations ago somehow dealt with all of this fear and angst...

I'm not even being funny here. Somehow in the last year this flag is being treated like people have PTSD from the mere sight of it. None of those complaining about it were around when slavery existed yet all of the sudden there is extreme fear and angst.

A bigger load of Bravo Sierra than I have seen in quite a bit.

I find it quite amusing myself, how these same people were able to make it through life before the Confederate Flag was made an issue by the race baiters. Back before these same people thought it was racist. Love your sig too, that's my motto

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   

The "Confederate Flag" (I put it in quotes because it isn't the real Confederate Flag anyways) has ALWAYS been considered racist. After the Civil War, the battle flag that would later become the "Confederate Flag" dropped from the public image. Then in the 1950's racist groups like the KKK revived the flag and made it part of their image so that they could fight against desegregation.
edit on 30-11-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I'm just glad I'm not alone in my disgust towards these whiny entitlement babies with tissue-thin skin and no spine.

Odin help us if these sissies get into positions of power (that their mommies and daddies bought for them).

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

They had better hope that mommy and daddy can buy that position because they will crumble long before they get there on their own.

Unless of course that position is in California... Then all bets are off. They are likely a shoe in already.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Sure.
The Smith Act of 1940
This was the Congressional Act which opened the door for Joseph McCarthy's American communist witch hunt. It made it a crime to even vocalize sympathy for anything the feds deemed "communist."

The Digital Millennium Copyright Act
A DMCA takedown order can be issued to an ISP on anything hosted on their service from any source. There is no due process, nor is there any real appeals process... if someone was to post a segment of speech which was potentially threatening (and I mean that in the purest sense, not in the "I'm directly threatening you" sense) to a company, that company can order it taken down and the ISP is legally mandated to comply and must keep it down for at least 7 days.

The Patriot Act
Purely against Freedom of Speech (rather than including all of the violations of freedom of association and privacy rights) is the prohibition on disclosure if you receive a National Security Letter from the FBI demanding all information you may have on another individual of interest. If someone violates that prohibition (AKA: Exercises their Freedom of Speech), they can be heavily prosecuted.

The Protect America Act
FISA in relation to FOIA releases of government surveillance requests.
Both the same: Placed strong prohibitions on ISPs, telephone carriers, and other organizations, preventing them from disclosing the surveillance (arguably ILLEGAL surveillance) of their customers by federal agencies. This one would largely be a 4th amendment and privacy rights violation... except for the fact that the fed's silencing of the carriers infringed on their First Amendment rights purely to ensure the program wasn't discovered.

Thank you Edward Snowden! We all appreciate you.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   

a reply to: DBCowboy

They had better hope that mommy and daddy can buy that position because they will crumble long before they get there on their own.

Unless of course that position is in California... Then all bets are off. They are likely a shoe in already.

The road should be clear for them. Just remove everything that offends them or that makes life hard or that requires effort and a work ethic.

Then they'll do just fine.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   

a reply to: o0oTOPCATo0o

How exactly is the 1st Amendment on life support? Can you name ONE law that has been passed, EVER, that infringes on your 1st Amendment rights?

"Free speech" zones?
en.wikipedia.org...

areas set aside in public places that are used to restrict the ability for American citizens to exercise their right of free speech in the United States by forcing them into these zones. The First Amendment to the United States Constitution states that "Congress shall make no law... abridging... the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." The existence of free speech zones is based on U.S. court decisions stipulating that the government may regulate the time, place, and manner—but not content—of expression.

If that, by itself, doesn't indicate a massive assault on the First Amendment, then I honestly have no idea what the purpose of the First was when it was initially penned.

So did you miss the part in the wikipedia article that went over why these things are Constitutional?

The Supreme Court has developed a four-part analysis to evaluate the constitutionality of time, place and manner (TPM) restrictions. To pass muster under the First Amendment, TPM restrictions must be neutral with respect to content, narrowly drawn, serve a significant government interest, and leave open alternative channels of communication. Application of this four-part analysis varies with the circumstances of each case, and typically requires lower standards for the restriction of obscenity and fighting words.[citation needed]

If you don't agree with that, take it up with SCOTUS.

You said show just one attempt on the first amendment and he did...I know it doesn't help your particular argument but you can't deny the first amendment has been under attack for sometime now. Since you don't agree with or appear to support our bill or rights you should just move.....Maybe you can find another country that supports your values or lack there of.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

FOR THE RECORD
I'm not arguing that this incident represents a 1st Amendment violation. My posts regarding the first are centered on a statement you made near the beginning of the thread, decrying the idea that America's First Amendment rights are being slowly stripped away in general.

Aside from mocking, ridiculing, and just trying to get under their skin, I honestly don't give 2 flips about PC people UNLESS their childish butthurt manages to somehow affect me, then outrage will be seen and experienced.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

What will these kids do when they have to study civil war History? Or did we already expunge those images from the history books?

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   

*sigh*

Absolutely... But I suppose when you're taught to be offended, that's all you can do. Now we're stuck with a ton of hypersensitive drama queens. How do we get rid of them or change their pitiful outlook?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join