It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Confederate Flag on Truck at La Crosse Campus Stirs Debate

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Please stop. This amount of stupidity and disregard for free expression offends me.

I'm going to my safe place now. Don't micro-agress me anymore. You'll have to be fired from your job and re-educated now.

But it's for your own good.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
BUT, WAIT...THERE'S MORE!!!!!!!

Campus Safety responds to truck sporting Confederate flag

In recent weeks, a white truck bearing Ohio’s state flag and a Confederate battle flag has been seen in Newark and Granville.

Campus Safety first learned of the truck by Chief William Caskey of the Granville Police Department, who warned Dan Hect, chief of campus safety, that the truck had been sighted in the area in case it made its way on the hill.

This came into fruition on Friday evening when a student called Campus Safety to alert them of the truck’s location on campus.

When a dispatcher picked up the phone and heard the student’s concern, the dispatcher told the student that the Confederate flag is an issue of free speech, and there is nothing Campus Safety can do about that.

Dan Hect, chief of campus safety, explained that the dispatcher is new to the job and came from a police dispatch center before coming to work at Denison.

Chief Hect took full responsibility for the dispatcher’s actions. “I should have trained her better,” he said.

Unsatisfied with the answer given by the dispatcher, the student called Bill Fox, the Dean of Students, to explain the issue to him. Chief Hect was then contacted by Dean Fox, and he immediately sent Officer Brent Smith to survey the campus for the truck, but he was unable to find the truck on campus.

Later that evening, Chief Hect attended the weekly Black Student Union (BSU) meeting along with Officer Smith and President Weinberg to tell the general body about the events on campus as well as to answer any questions that students might have about race relations at Denison.

After returning to his office, Chief Hect found Tabitha Chester, a professor of women’s studies and black studies. He explained that there was a student who felt unsafe as a result of the Confederate flag.

Chester explained that the student came to the women’s studies and black studies department, unsure about with whom she should speak about the issue. “That says a lot about the women’s studies and black studies departments,” she said.

In Chief Hect’s office, Chester showed him a picture of the truck with the rebel flag, which Chief Hect hopes will help him find the license plate of the driver for identification purposes.

Chief Hect said that he plans to ban the driver of the truck from campus as soon as he or GPD is able to locate the license plate number. Hect said, “The benefit of a private campus is that we can do that.”

“I’m vested in this issue. Diversity is a core value,” he added.

www.denisonian.com...

I hope for the University sake they don't receive one red cent from the State or Feds. If so they are setting them selves up for a major lawsuit by the truck owner. Universities who accept funding from State or Feds are no longer considered "private Universities". Lets put it this way only a very small handful of colleges or universities fall into that category.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Meh. That's a private liberal arts college for you. The story is a great insight into just how pathetic some in that generation are, and how these universities are doing little other than fostering the victim mentality, though.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
No there wasn't. There were no civil ordinances about bus seating.

It was the policy of the bus company for drivers to have authority to tell people to move.

Rosa Parks was arrested and briefly detained for refusing to follow the orders of a bus driver.

She had the courage to stand up to a social convention enforced by the implied aggression of the democrat/kkk mob.

edit on 30-11-2015 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance

Yes, there were:

In 1900, Montgomery had passed a city ordinance to segregate bus passengers by race. Source

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Yes, there were:

In 1900, Montgomery had passed a city ordinance to segregate bus passengers by race. Source

The National Archives Trump wikipedia. The laws were murky but the charges were clear.

Joseph Blake, the driver, believed he had the discretion to move the line separating black and white passengers.

The law was actually somewhat murky on that point, but when Mrs. Parks defied his order, he called the police. Officers Day and Mixon came and promptly arrested her. In police custody, Mrs. Parks was booked, fingerprinted, and briefly incarcerated. The police report shows that she was charged with "refusing to obey orders of bus driver."

www.archives.gov...

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Well... You have to have enough people willing to completely usher in a total nanny state and welcome it with open arms. These are those. IMO only of course.

edit on 11/30/2015 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 05:30 PM
link   

The National Archives Trump wikipedia. The laws were murky but the charges were clear.

Then they should take a look at the actual ordinance, it is very, very clear:

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Oh dear, the precious snowflakes attending government sanctioned indoctrination institutions have again gotten all upset because of their "feelings".

These princesses need to toughen the #### up and realise that the world does not revolve around them.

Apparently freedom of expression does not apply to the subbie, just the snowflakes.

Behold - the advent of the age of Idiocracy is nigh

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 05:33 PM
link   

That ordinance clearly gives discretion to the driver. There is no specific seating assignment in that ordinance.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   

That ordinance clearly gives discretion to the driver. There is no specific seating assignment in that ordinance.

It clearly says the bus line operators 'shall provide equal but separate seating accommodations for white people and negroes'. That clearly constitutes a civil seating ordinance contrary to what you claimed.

edit on 30-11-2015 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer so I am ging to harvest his liver

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   

I stated there was no civil seating ordinance specifically involved in Rosa Parks arrest and charges

The arrest record cited no ordinance and clearly states she was charged with refusing to obey the orders of a driver.

The National Archives clearly states the laws were murky.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Deny Arrogance

I said:

There was however a local ordinance that required segregated bus seating based on ethnicity.

You said:

Their failure to charge her on that ordinance does not mean it did not exist, nor undermines the fact that it was the basis for bus segregation in Montgomery. White and black segregated bus seating stems from that ordinance, it was systemic racism codified into law.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   

"she would continue to defend free speech

Defend free speech by restricting free speech. Genius.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

"she would continue to defend free speech

Defend free speech by restricting free speech. Genius.
I was waiting for someone to notice that little nugget of hypocrisy. Star4U!

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

You'll shut up, take it, and like it because you're from the wrong side of the tracks. What you feel no longer matters.

There is no bias report for your feefees....

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Smh
I keep reading don't worry about the story... means nothing. Yet similar outcrys keep happening. The initial action gains support... because those who say they disagree with action while agreeing the flag is racist do nothing to stop the maddness. Gotta be kidding if you think it ends at rebel flag.

edit on 30-11-2015 by Dystopian7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe
a reply to: DBCowboy

You'll shut up, take it, and like it because you're from the wrong side of the tracks. What you feel no longer matters.

There is no bias report for your feefees....

So my feefees (I love that term) aren't important unless they involve inhibiting the rights and free expressions of others.

Dang.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   
So true she is "defending" free speech by denying it. The man should not have been asked to remove it.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Per this article here, which is where the link in the OP got the info from, they went to the Construction site Superintendent about the issue

So we do not know if he "complied" removing it cause he wanted to or if his job was at stake
Being as it was no small bumper sticker as some suggested, but rather what goes across the grill on a semi truck, doubt he was to happy about it

Knudson asked UW-L Executive Director of Facilities Douglas Pearson to speak to the construction site superintendent, who asked the driver of the truck to remove it. The driver complied without complaint.

SOURC E

What I find curious about all this

Someone had to find this whole incident all one-sided and unfair for it to hit the news
Otherwise we would not be here debating it

Whether the story was leaked by one of the construction workers or a student, we won't know for sure

But the driver of the truck was not approached by the school officials themselves, but rather his Superintendent that he has to answer to

How easy for the officials to say he 'complied', when all he probably wants to do is get off that damn paranoid campus
But he needs that paycheck, so he does as he's told

And people really need to get over their fear of the Rebel flag and start learning it's true history that goes way beyond slaves and being a racist
That is the "new" modern history of the flag being taught now a days and it is sad how the history of the South and it's symbol is being distorted

I agree with the other poster, being as he was not a student, he should not have even had to be bothered with that IMO.

Kids now a days are so over-sensitive and touchy feely
And they expect -- no demand --that their rights trump anyone else

Might as well turn our whole damn country into a "Safe Zone"
Like that is really going to prepare these students (young adults) for real life issues as they get older *sigh*

edit on 30-11-2015 by snarky412 because: forgot linky

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join