It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Confederate Flag on Truck at La Crosse Campus Stirs Debate

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: LSU0408

Yea and not all Nazi soldiers contributed to killing Jews, that doesn't mean we don't remember the Nazis as a bunch of Jew genociders.

SMH

The only time I ever see the Nazis come into the conversation is when the Confederates are mentioned, and it's always a lefty that brings up the comparison.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   
This is the future of our nation. These kids will one day be the ones with the power. I weep for humanity.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Just an observation:

It appears that some of the very people that criticize the students and staff for being PC sissies afraid to get their feelings hurt also seem to get the weak-kneed "vapors" anytime they believe someone is being "PC" or trying to encroach on anything they feel is sacred.

Perhaps both sides are "PC sensitive", but they have different definitions of what is PC.

Both sides need to man-up and move along.

He agreed to remove the sticker by his own choice and it's over. Let's not make this to be more than it really is.

edit on 30-11-2015 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Agreed. Those kids and the evil guy with the sticker should all get trophies.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   

You don't get rid of them. They have to be bred out just the same as they were bred in. Until a generation decides it's too much and decides to raise their children differently... This is what we will be stuck with.

It's a dog eat dog world and these kids are indeed wearing milk bone underwear. I would feel terrible if I raised my daughter to be crushed every time she saw something she didn't agree with. I would feel like I failed to prepare her for the real world. If the mere sight of a flag caused her to languish in fear and angst to the point that she felt she needed a safe place... How in the world can she function normally?

Everything that exists is bound to offend someone. We used to teach kids that being different was ok and just because you saw something you didn't like, it was someone else's right to like it. Now we are teaching them fear, hate, etc. We are teaching them that others are not allowed to do certain things (that harm no one) if the right people don't like it. Slippery slope...

History repeats itself in the strangest ways.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

I agree, but at what point do we as a nation need to ask when does this end? Where is the line?

I'd easily say a quick bitch slap to the offended with a little pep talk to "get over it sunshine" would suffice, this isn't the end of this sort of mentality. Again, these are the future of the world right here. These candy asses will one day be leaders. God help us when some other country says something mean. We might have to get Jessie Jackson to facilitate an apology.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

The "Confederate Flag" (I put it in quotes because it isn't the real Confederate Flag anyways) has ALWAYS been considered racist. After the Civil War, the battle flag that would later become the "Confederate Flag" dropped from the public image. Then in the 1950's racist groups like the KKK revived the flag and made it part of their image so that they could fight against desegregation.

The Confederate Flag never dropped from anything in the South, and the swastika's image was abused by the Nazis back in the 20's. The KKK, however, abused the image of the US flag more than the Confederate Flag.

1.bp.blogspot.com...

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

I agree, but at what point do we as a nation need to ask when does this end?

It's never going to end, and it has always been this way. Some people are easily frightened or offended by a number of different things.

Some people are offended by the Confederate flag. Others are offended by Muslim women wearing a headdress.

The rest of us just move along. I don't see the point in making this out to be a big deal, unless the man was forced to remove it, or going to an extreme to say that these PC nuts will run this country in to the ground.

That's just hyperbole.
edit on 30-11-2015 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
This is the future of our nation. These kids will one day be the ones with the power. I weep for humanity.

The more these kinds of incidences happen, the more others will see it and be disgusted. Those will be our next flood of Conservatives.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe

You don't get rid of them. They have to be bred out just the same as they were bred in. Until a generation decides it's too much and decides to raise their children differently... This is what we will be stuck with.

It's a dog eat dog world and these kids are indeed wearing milk bone underwear. I would feel terrible if I raised my daughter to be crushed every time she saw something she didn't agree with. I would feel like I failed to prepare her for the real world. If the mere sight of a flag caused her to languish in fear and angst to the point that she felt she needed a safe place... How in the world can she function normally?

Everything that exists is bound to offend someone. We used to teach kids that being different was ok and just because you saw something you didn't like, it was someone else's right to like it. Now we are teaching them fear, hate, etc. We are teaching them that others are not allowed to do certain things (that harm no one) if the right people don't like it. Slippery slope...

History repeats itself in the strangest ways.

Indeed it does, and it will come full circle after so many people have offended these brats over nothing. Like I just told another poster, that's our next flood of Conservatives, or non-lefties anyways. The more common this behavior becomes, the more intolerant the common sense crowd will grow. Soon it will stop itself.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   
If you are struck with fear by seeing a bumper sticker of a flag, then you need to see a professional psychiatrist.

College is a place where your ideas should be challenged so you can master critical thinking skills.

From what I've been reading lately it seems like college has become a daycare center.

Also, how are you defending free speech by making someone scrape off a bumper sticker?

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   
OH, THE HORROR!!!!...
Thankfully, comforting counseling is available! 'Soft blankie' supplies are running low.

University Students Comforted with ‘Counseling’ after Seeing Confederate Flag on Laptop

University students in Massachusetts who were upset by an image of a Confederate flag sticker on another student’s laptop were offered counseling services at Framingham State University.

The offer came after the university’s “chief diversity and inclusion officer,” Sean Huddleston, described the display of the small Confederate flag sticker as a “bias incident.”

According to Metrowest Daily News, students filed two “bias reports” within the past month as a result of a student displaying the flag in some way. The most recent bias incident – reported on November 19 – was a report of a student having seen a Confederate flag sticker on another student’s laptop.

www.breitbart.com...

edit on 30-11-2015 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-11-2015 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
OH, THE HORROR!!!!...

University Students Comforted with ‘Counseling’ after Seeing Confederate Flag on Laptop

University students in Massachusetts who were upset by an image of a Confederate flag sticker on another student’s laptop were offered counseling services at Framingham State University.

The offer came after the university’s “chief diversity and inclusion officer,” Sean Huddleston, described the display of the small Confederate flag sticker as a “bias incident.”

According to Metrowest Daily News, students filed two “bias reports” within the past month as a result of a student displaying the flag in some way. The most recent bias incident – reported on November 19 – was a report of a student having seen a Confederate flag sticker on another student’s laptop.

www.breitbart.com...

OMFG, you've GOT to be kidding me.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

When will the nightmare end?

I'm glad they got to see a councelor after seeing such an image.

I just hope they've eliminated all images from text books.

The poor babies!

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
OH, THE HORROR!!!!...

www.breitbart.com...

That's how ludicrous this has gotten. You know it's far out there when we have to start making up catchy phrases and words to describe this new phenomenon. Bias reports? Micro Aggresions? Wtf?

These special snowflakes don't even realize that they are going to wind up lost in a blizzard of other special snowflakes to the point that they are going to have to carry it even further to be even more special.

Star bellied sneetches....

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   

LMAO! Why do I get the feeling that in another 50 years I'll be sitting in a rocking chair telling kids "In my day, it took actual trauma like war or rape to give somebody PTSD. Hey, you little boy in the blue short! Yes, you! Stay off the lawn! Those blades of grass will slice your legs like a Cuisanart, sonny."

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

You won't be able to have grass. Someone on the east coast is allergic.... Sorry.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   

I wonder if he once saw a confederate flag?

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I was driving down the road the other day and I saw a Dallas Cowboys sticker on a truck. I was hurt, offended, fearful, and feeling oppressed. I'm not sure if I should call the Mayor, the Governor, or my Congressman, but somebody needs to make that person remove that sticker. No one should have the right to oppress me by putting a sticker on a vehicle.

Once Dallas is mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, they can put the sticker back on the vehicle so I can point and laugh at them.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   
BUT, WAIT...THERE'S MORE!!!!!!!

Campus Safety responds to truck sporting Confederate flag

In recent weeks, a white truck bearing Ohio’s state flag and a Confederate battle flag has been seen in Newark and Granville.

Campus Safety first learned of the truck by Chief William Caskey of the Granville Police Department, who warned Dan Hect, chief of campus safety, that the truck had been sighted in the area in case it made its way on the hill.

This came into fruition on Friday evening when a student called Campus Safety to alert them of the truck’s location on campus.

When a dispatcher picked up the phone and heard the student’s concern, the dispatcher told the student that the Confederate flag is an issue of free speech, and there is nothing Campus Safety can do about that.

Dan Hect, chief of campus safety, explained that the dispatcher is new to the job and came from a police dispatch center before coming to work at Denison.

Chief Hect took full responsibility for the dispatcher’s actions. “I should have trained her better,” he said.

Unsatisfied with the answer given by the dispatcher, the student called Bill Fox, the Dean of Students, to explain the issue to him. Chief Hect was then contacted by Dean Fox, and he immediately sent Officer Brent Smith to survey the campus for the truck, but he was unable to find the truck on campus.

Later that evening, Chief Hect attended the weekly Black Student Union (BSU) meeting along with Officer Smith and President Weinberg to tell the general body about the events on campus as well as to answer any questions that students might have about race relations at Denison.

After returning to his office, Chief Hect found Tabitha Chester, a professor of women’s studies and black studies. He explained that there was a student who felt unsafe as a result of the Confederate flag.

Chester explained that the student came to the women’s studies and black studies department, unsure about with whom she should speak about the issue. “That says a lot about the women’s studies and black studies departments,” she said.

In Chief Hect’s office, Chester showed him a picture of the truck with the rebel flag, which Chief Hect hopes will help him find the license plate of the driver for identification purposes.

Chief Hect said that he plans to ban the driver of the truck from campus as soon as he or GPD is able to locate the license plate number. Hect said, “The benefit of a private campus is that we can do that.”

“I’m vested in this issue. Diversity is a core value,” he added.

www.denisonian.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join