It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you a sinner?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: ServantOfTheLamb

And I never used the word "God" either.

A "sin" is defined as a transgression of divine law...

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: hubrisinxs

The old testament and the Torah both show that breaking any of the 613 laws is a 'sin'. Can you provide the passage where you get this translation as an arrow missing the target, just like to see it see what Greek word you are referring to.

biblehub.com...

There is strongs concordance ^^, and that would be where I am pulling that from. The origination of those terms come from archery.

Without religion, the questions of "what is moral" and "is morality subjective or not" becomes a philosophical one, and I feel that was not the goal of the OP, yet still a good question.

The goal of the OP is to see if people believed they themselves were sinners by their own subjective standards. Why? Because many people have an issue with being called a sinner. If you call yourself one by your own standards there is nothing to get upset over. It was simply to see if people on here had an issue with that, and if they believed they were sinless. If sin is doing something you know is wrong, then it seems the question of what is wrong is perfectly acceptable.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: ServantOfTheLamb
So basically what you are saying is once a sinner, always sinner?

You'll have to define "sinner" for me to answer that. It sounds like a judgment to me and that's not how I think of it.

Not one of us is perfect and acts with integrity and grace 100% of the time. (I'll not get into possible exceptions, like Ghandi or some Yogi somewhere - I'm talking about regular people who engage normally in life.) We all make mistakes, let our tempers get away from us, say things that hurt other people, or lie when it's convenient, etc.

I don't even like the word "sinner" and don't use it at all. Probably because of my religious background. People who "sin" are just human.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

This is why I asked people to define certain terms. I do not use that definition for sin personally. I mean it fits, but its much easier to just saying doing something wrong when you know its wrong.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   
as with all absolutes, life is not nearly as simple as "saint" and "sinner". and anyone attempting to make it that simple is going to miss the mark, and probably hurt more than help. to be clearer, "are you a sinner or sinless" is the wrong question, in my opinion. it feels like it tries to diagnose the forest by dissecting the tree.
edit on 23-11-2015 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

You'll have to define "sinner" for me to answer that. It sounds like a judgment to me and that's not how I think of it.

Our definitions are pretty much the same. A sin is an act the was done even though the person committing the act thought/knew it was an immoral action. A sinner is someone who in the course of their life has committed a sin. You said there is no way to make up for sin past sins, other than an apology which we said does not change the fact that we sinned. So once we have sinned we are always a sinner. Someone who has committed a sin.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   

a reply to: Thecakeisalie

Sorry but I don't really see how you answered any of my questions.

And I've yet to learn the origin of Sin. I guess we both have unanswered questions.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Is that not how Christians as a whole, view the god of the bible? The essence of good? Intrinsically good?

Most Christians don't spend the time to analyze their world view and make sure it is coherent if I am being honest. I suppose I should have said that goodness or benevolence is a part of God's essence. Somethings essence is the attribute or set of attributes that make an entity or substance what it fundamentally is, and which it has by necessity, and without which it loses its identity. So if goodness is a part of God's essence then it would mean that God is intrinsically Good otherwise he would not be God. He would lose his identity.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

I didn't answer because we were having a conversation and you went off topic. Conversations are never gonna get anywhere unless we can find common ground.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   

I drink (have a glass of wine and maybe a margarita in a year's time), but I'm not a "drinker". It's semantics. But I understand what you're saying.

I CAN make up for sins (by apologizing and learning from it) but I can't take it back or make it not have happened. Nothing can do that. And it's not necessary.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Put To The Hazards...
When You Choose A Side... Be It With Or Without Awares... You Are In The Throes Of Service(s). You Have Enemies. Like It Or Not. It Becomes A Matter Of Best And Better.
The Standard Of Living Becomes A Must And you Are In Constant Competition Against One Who Honors Their God. Petty Sins Make Less Of One Whilst The Other Prides Themselves In Doing What Is Right And Repetitively Bringing Honor To The House Of Their Fathers.
Do Good... Resist Temptation... Work... And Rise...

As For Sinners... The One Thing I Know About Them Is... They're Selfish.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   

I drink (have a glass of wine and maybe a margarita in a year's time), but I'm not a "drinker". It's semantics. But I understand what you're saying.

I CAN make up for sins (by apologizing and learning from it) but I can't take it back or make it not have happened. Nothing can do that. And it's not necessary.

I agree. Which is why you and I are sinners for life in my opinion. Thats why I believe that if there is a perfectly just and benevolent God then I need a savior. I can't take back the things I've done. I can apologize, but the Judge must still pass judgement on me as we said before. Maybe now you can understand me a little bit better and I got to understand you a little better. Good conversation friend.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I have sinned but I am no longer a sinner. The bible says that those who are born of God do not continue sinning, I agree with that and have put it into practice. The bible also says that God does not listen to the sinner, only those who do his will. I agree with that as well.

The world promotes sin by saying it is unavoidable, I disagree with that. Jesus told us to be perfect, with a little effort and time, that can come true.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Thats why I believe that if there is a perfectly just and benevolent God then I need a savior.

Yeah, I don't believe in a god at all, or a "judge", other than those humans who are appointed or elected to work within the legal justice system. And they have NOTHING to do with my personal morality. They cannot judge it. I am the judge of my behavior. There is no "judge" passing judgment on me.

Good conversation friend.

Absolutely!

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

I would respectfully disagree with that position. I believe when the bible is taken as a whole, and I know you ignore pretty much anything Paul wrote, it teaches that Jesus will change a person to want to seek God and to do Good things. Though it also teaches that person will continue to stumble while here in the flesh.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I believe in Karma. Karma is a balancing behavior towards other all souls.

If you give another soul a bad moment you have to create an equal good moment for that soul.

I do have karma to fix and that is ok. One step at a time fix things here and there and limit the harm you do. This level is from my point of view an mid level insane asylum. A in between level. There are level that are better where souls are automatically empathic with each other. There are levels where souls are automatically hostile and aggressive to each other.

We all get what we deserve sooner or later. That is a blessing for some and a curse for others.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   

I get that, but can you at least see why if there was one with those attributes all of us would need a savior?

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Everyone sins. I'm no exception. Thanks to Jesus, I don't have to do jack besides believe that Jesus died on the cross to save me from my sins. I'm saved. Do I deserve to be saved? Hell to the naw naw. And that's why what Jesus did is so beautiful. Yep. Everyone. Whether they're a crazy murderer or a rapist or a molester or just a normal average sinner like you and me--as long as these people find Jesus, then yeah they're saved. And they're not going to be rapists and murderers once they get saved.

You cannot--no matter how hard you try--make up for past sins. Because you sin every single day.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: rukia

I believe I detect a troll

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   

I don't really know what you mean by "savior". "Saved" from what? I don't need to be saved from anything.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join