It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Islam Call To Prayer In America

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
a reply to: Christosterone

Plenty of barbaric stuff in the Bible old testament, your point is moot.
You should get over yourself fella, I get woken up every Sunday by annoying bells from the Anglican church, if they can be noisy religious types then I extend the right to any other religion. Especially if I live in an area where the majority practice that particular religion.
I've lived on Islamic islands in my life and to be honest I preferred the call to prayer to the annoying Christian bell ringing lol

First off, I made no mention bible or Old Testament....they have no bearing on my point...

Christian churches, for much of the last millennia were the only institutions who had working clocks...the bells were used to signify time, particularly quarter hours....

I could be mistaken but I don't think the Judeo Christian ethos requires prayer at scheduled times each day...
At least not where I grew up (and everywhere I've lived) in America...

The only God insecure enough to require prayer 5 times a day every day is allah....maybe Muhammad was bullied in middle school....

If Christian church bells are ringing on anything but times of day they should stop ringing them....and these Muslims with their boom boxes need to zip it too...

-Christian

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI
a reply to: grainofsand

bells or someone singing in Arabic about how their god is the only god.... really? The call to prayer is everyday 5 times a day
Yeah, really, as I said I've lived on Islamic islands.
I think all religions are as bull# as each other, and yep I find the call to prayer kinder to my ears than crappy bell ringing by a few pensioners in the local Anglican church.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010
You find the same thing with other races and religions. Humans are herd animals and we tend to stick with the herd that fits us best.

What I find absolutely hypocritical in all this brouhaha, is that Christians have been publicly preaching forEVER. It's one of the most-used method of spreading the word, because they can reach larger numbers of non-believers. It honestly depends on the neighborhood and how the people who live there feel. Local ordinances regulate this sort of thing and it's very easy to stay within the law. Freedom of speech and religious expression don't just disappear when we're talking about Muslims... Amiright?

Street preaching is as old as the Bible itself. Street preaching has never been popular either inside or outside the church. Open-air preaching and street evangelism have never been culturally relevant or socially acceptable. But street preaching is Biblical.

Source
Street Preacher's Manual - How to Stay Out of Jail
Street Preachers dot COM

Besides, this is a "call to prayer". It's not even preaching or trying to shame and/or convert people. It's aimed, NOT at the non-believers, but at the believers.

I'd have to say that I love bells and the call to prayer about equally. I think they're both beautiful.
edit on 11/22/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Christosterone

This thread is about the call to prayer being broadcast by loudspeaker in the US, not your personal theological or moral issues with the Islamic faith.
Do try to stay on topic

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Christosterone

I could be mistaken but I don't think the Judeo Christian ethos requires prayer at scheduled times each day...

The practice of daily prayers grew from the Jewish practice of reciting prayers at set times of the day: for example, in the Book of Acts, Peter and John visit the temple for the afternoon prayers (Acts 3:1). Psalm 119:164 states: "Seven times a day I praise you for your righteous laws" which is among the scriptural quotes in the attestation of Saint Symeon of Thessaloniki that commences "The times of prayer and the services are seven in number, like the number of gifts of the Spirit, since the holy prayers are from the Spirit."Source

Up until Vatican II all Catholics were supposed to follow the Canonical Hours with prayer up to seven times a day.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

You find the same thing with other races and religions. Humans are herd animals and we tend to stick with the herd that fits us best.

What I find absolutely hypocritical in all this brouhaha, is that Christians have been publicly preaching forEVER. It's one of the most-used method of spreading the word, because they can reach larger numbers of non-believers. It honestly depends on the neighborhood and how the people who live there feel. Local ordinances regulate this sort of thing and it's very easy to stay within the law. Freedom of speech and religious expression don't just disappear when we're talking about Muslims... Amiright?

Street preaching is as old as the Bible itself. Street preaching has never been popular either inside or outside the church. Open-air preaching and street evangelism have never been culturally relevant or socially acceptable. But street preaching is Biblical.

Source
Street Preacher's Manual - How to Stay Out of Jail
Street Preachers dot COM

Besides, this is a "call to prayer". It's not even preaching or trying to shame and/or convert people. It's aimed, NOT at the non-believers, but at the believers.

I'd have to say that I love bells and the call to prayer about equally. I think they're both beautiful.

Yes they have but do they knock on your door at 6am, and then again a few hours later, and then.... you get it! Don't you think it's a little different regardless if the call to prayer to a un believer is just a bunch of noise? Seriously if a christian walked into a mosque 5x a day what kind of treatment would they get?

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   

I'm surrounded by churches and not a single bell really only when someone gets married do I ever notice. I'm also not religious but bells don't bother me but a dude on a loudspeaker praying does. Its almost like having a mosque outside.

I just don't understand some members on ats. I see the same members ranting about Christians but they're ok with the call to prayer over loud speaker. Why do they need a loudspeaker! Why can't they just go inside a mosque or pray silently? Or use their cellphone? all of these are acceptable

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Christosterone

originally posted by: sirlancelot

a reply to: sirlancelot

Most cities and towns in America have sound ordinances yet in these towns they where changed to allow for the call to prayer.

Why would they have to do this when it's ok for churches to clang bells early on Sunday mornings? All religious organizations have the right to call their people to their place of worship.

Firstly perhaps churches shouldnt be able to?!?! Secondly there is a big distinction from bells and words used in the adhan. there is also a big distinction in the how often said church bells go off and the 5x a day the adhan is player (starting at 6am ending at 10pm) Are you really trying to say they are the same?

Of course they are them same. If Muslims were to call their followers the same way as Christians would you be complaining about it? Also seeing how most Americans aren't fluent in Arabic then the words in the Muslims call to prayer is irrelevant.

I live in north Texas....public speakers are for one thing...TORNADOS!!!
I don't care which one of the magic being in the sky folk it is, NONE should be allowed to get on speakers and pester me to pray...

-Christosterone

No one except you is talking about public speakers the speakers the Muslims are using are privately owned. If they cannot get on their speakers then all churches should be forced to remove their annoying bells.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Problem solved! Everyone wins. Muslims wont be late and non believers dont have to hear it!

Call To Prayer App

Im sure we will hear the "old people don't have cell phones, blah blah blah!

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: JDmOKI

Different folks is all, what, does it trouble you that I find the church bells ringing from the next street annoying?
You like bells but don't hear them where you live, cool. I don't like the bells I hear most days and would prefer an Islamic call to prayer being sung well. I base this on experience of living on Islamic islands.
How could that trouble you? Do you expect me to like the same music as you as well?

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Different folks is all, what, does it trouble you that I find the church bells ringing from the next street annoying?
You like bells but don't hear them where you live, cool. I don't like the bells I hear most days and would prefer an Islamic call to prayer being sung well. I base this on experience of living on Islamic islands.
How could that trouble you? Do you expect me to like the same music as you as well?

Maybe you don't like the bells because of what it signifies?!?! At the moment in America this is not an issue as most mosque probably respect their surrounding neighbors and realize that it would be disturbing to non believers.

BTW I wouldnt want bells going off around me all the time either and Im christian!

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Maybe you don't like the bells because of what it signifies?!?!
Nope, just as a noise that does not please me.

At the moment in America this is not an issue as most mosque probably respect their surrounding neighbors and realize that it would be disturbing to non believers.
Same here, but that is to be expected, not many believers = not many mosques.

BTW I wouldnt want bells going off around me all the time either and Im christian!
That made me chuckle

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 04:54 PM
link   

No you can not like bells. I do find bells once a week (different for different churches) to be far different then someone praying over loud speaker 5 times a day

a bell isn't a prayer
edit on 22-11-2015 by JDmOKI because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 04:59 PM
link   

The prayer element doesn't bother me in the slightest, I ridicule all religions and faiths equally.

...and I prefer being woken to the sound of a well sung call to prayer than church bells any day. You feel differently, cool, wet your pants about some bull# prayer being sung if you like.
I'd prefer listening to the singing than the bells, you wanna pick through my music collection and expect me to change tastes if you don't like an artist?

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: Gryphon66

That's what is in the "call to prayer". They are not simply singing sounds. It's no difference than blasting the Lord's Prayer through loud speakers.

I don't live in Mecca, but that doesn't mean I am not against the public beheadings of apostates.

Yes, but is it what you would hear were you on the street in Dearborn? Are you fluent in Arabic? If not, you'd hear Arabic "singing sounds", now wouldn't you?

Your red herring about Mecca and being against beheading are fanciful but not related to the topic.

The Call to Prayer is not about beheading. To attempt conflate the two is rather silly, don't you think?

I was making the point that I do not have to live somewhere to be against what occurs there. Your argument that because I do not live there, therefor I shouldn't care, is nonsense. I'm not conflating the two at all, and the error is yours.

There are non-Muslims who speak the language. If you believe people should be allowed to sing God is great over loudspeakers, then you should have no problem hearing it in any language and in any neighborhood.

edit on 22-11-2015 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Nope, i don't care about your music taste of if you like prayer over loudspeaker nor do intend to change your opinion.

I do however believe the call to prayer shouldn't ever be apart of any town in the USA, Muslim majority or not. If bells have to be outlawed so be it. Although a bell isn't proclaiming religious superiority to everyone. My local college uses a bell to play Mozart and i hear that everyday, its nice

You're from England I'm fairly certain you have towns with the call to prayer

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kapusta
a reply to: sirlancelot

So you have objection to people being called to pray to god?

God doesn't need us to use megaphones and speakers to be heard.
The devout hardly need audio reminders either.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Yes they have but do they knock on your door at 6am, and then again a few hours later, and then.... you get it!

Who is knocking on doors? What? What does that have to do with anything? Besides, I'm clear on your objection to this:

I have an objection with the Muslim call to prayer in American Cities.

You don't live in the area, you're not bothered by this happening, the government is not putting out the announcement, the ordinance wasn't changed, they are doing this within the law and not getting any kind of special treatment. What about religious freedom and free expression?

Seriously if a christian walked into a mosque 5x a day what kind of treatment would they get?

That has what to do with anything?

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Translation of Adhan:

Allāhu akbar Allah is the greatest, Allah is the greatest.
2x أشهد أن لا اله إلا الله Ash-hadu an-lā ilāha illā allāh I acknowledge that there is no deity but God.
2x أشهد أن محمدا رسول الله Ash-hadu anna Muhammadan-Rasul ullāh I acknowledge that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah.
2x حي على الصلاة Hayya'alas-ṣalāh Hasten to prayer (salah).
2x حي على الفلاح Hayya ʿalal-falāḥ Hasten to success.
2x 1 الصلاة خيرٌ من النوم As-salatu Khayrun Minan-nawm Prayer is better than sleep. 2 (Only In Fajr prayer's Adhan)
2x الله أكبر Allāhu akbar Allah is greatest.
1x لا إله إلا الله Lā ilāha illā-Allāh

Translation of church bells:

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Problem solved! Everyone wins. Muslims wont be late and non believers dont have to hear it!

Call To Prayer App

Im sure we will hear the "old people don't have cell phones, blah blah blah!

Only about five people have mentioned that to you so far in this thread.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join