It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Islam Call To Prayer In America

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI
You're from England I'm fairly certain you have towns with the call to prayer
Oh yeah but I have to drive a few hours to find the nearest one. My region of the UK, South West England, is between 95% and 99% white/Christian/no-faith and only in the few major cities will you find a Muslim community large enough to support a mosque.

I agree though, ban the call to prayer then also ban the annoying Sunday morning church bells that wake me up.
As I said, my ridicule is shared equally among all religions so I dismiss prayers as silliness, but on a purely aural basis I prefer a well sung call to prayer than classic English church bells.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity

originally posted by: sirlancelot
Problem solved! Everyone wins. Muslims wont be late and non believers dont have to hear it!

Call To Prayer App

Im sure we will hear the "old people don't have cell phones, blah blah blah!

Only about five people have mentioned that to you so far in this thread.

Ya well Muslims should use it and problem solved!

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI
I just don't understand some members on ats. I see the same members ranting about Christians but they're ok with the call to prayer over loud speaker.

Just to address this... I would NOT be "ok" with this in my neighborhood. I would HATE it. I would do what I could to make it stop.

But, if a community is OK with it, and the people of that community are heard, then I don't think the government should be sticking their noses in there, unless someone's rights are being violated. Is that happening here?

Why do they need a loudspeaker! Why can't they just go inside a mosque or pray silently? Or use their cellphone? all of these are acceptable

Hey, I say the same thing about any religion. Why do they have to do their religion so publicly? And the answer is that we live in a country where freedom of religion is protected. And I support it. Even though I am not religious, people have the freedom to express themselves within the law.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Problem solved! Everyone wins. Muslims wont be late and non believers dont have to hear it!

Call To Prayer App

They do. It's for when they're away...like at work or traveling or if there isn't a mosque nearby.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

Yes they have but do they knock on your door at 6am, and then again a few hours later, and then.... you get it!

Who is knocking on doors? What? What does that have to do with anything? Besides, I'm clear on your objection to this:

I have an objection with the Muslim call to prayer in American Cities.

You don't live in the area, you're not bothered by this happening, the government is not putting out the announcement, the ordinance wasn't changed, they are doing this within the law and not getting any kind of special treatment. What about religious freedom and free expression?

Seriously if a christian walked into a mosque 5x a day what kind of treatment would they get?

That has what to do with anything?

If a christian knocked on the door of a Muslim at 6 am in the morning isn't it the same as a loud speaker of the adhan entering my ears in my own home?

So your telling me a muslim cant excercise their faith without the adhan being blasted across town? I dont have to experience it personally for it to bug me as if it happens there now it could happen every where soon!

My point is if a christian whether intended or not projected their faith to Muslim how would they be treated? I know the answer to this depending on the country your in, do you? There is atleast 4 countries that a christian would die and over a dozen most likely die! Get it?

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   
It’s called the Adhan, the Call to Prayer, when I was a night watchman of a mosque I use to call it for the Morning Prayer(Fajr) often. That’s when I learned I could hold a note.

In any case, the problem is that it could be loud and disturb neighbors. In my case we had our own building so that wasn’t an issue.’

Today when I hear the Adhan from mosques I don’t think it’s cool because people shouldn’t burden others with their religion.

They don’t have to call it at the top of their lungs

The motive behind it originally was to call it in a Muslim community where it would have relevance in that people could hear when it was time to go to pray

I’m afraid a lot of brothers today are just showing off their religion.

Something that the Quran condemns: it’s called praying to be seen of men

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Call To Prayer App

They do. It's for when they're away...like at work or traveling or if there isn't a mosque nearby.

Come on this isnt the stone age. Our phones are like computers and you cant tell me the Adhan blasted across town is the only way to give muslim the heads up to pray? When are any of the muslims on this thread going to admit the adhan is more then just a call to prayer for muslims?

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: sirlancelot

What do you mean by "more than just a call to prayer"

In my experience living inside a legit and sane, sober, moderate Muslim community, it was ONLY a call to prayer, becoming as mundane as a school bell.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   

If a christian knocked on the door of a Muslim at 6 am in the morning isn't it the same as a loud speaker of the adhan entering my ears in my own home?

But is the call played at 6 AM??? And I'm going to ask for a source.

So your telling me a muslim cant excercise their faith without the adhan being blasted across town?

I'm telling you they have religious freedom - FREEDOM - just as all of us do. How they use that freedom is not for me to say. As long as it doesn't violate others' rights. Is it violating someone's rights?

edit on 11/22/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   

As Choudary puts it ‘The main purpose behind the multiple loud pronouncements of Adhan in every mosque is to make available to everyone an easily intelligible summary of Islamic belief.
‘It is intended to bring to the mind of every believer and non-believer the substance of Islamic beliefs, or its spiritual ideology. In modern times, loudspeakers have been installed on minarets for this purpose.’

So therein lies my issue. I have no problems with Muslims practicing their faith, but I have a problem with them pushing their message over a loud speaker 5 times a day!

But I take it that you do NOT have a problem with:
* starting every football game with a PA announcement Christian prayer
* starting almost all government meetings with a Christian prayer
* campus speakers shouting the Christian gospel at all of us passersby
...etc?

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

* I've never been to a football game where they prayed before the game over a PA. The team prays
*I'm not sure you can say all government meetings start with a prayer (although i'm sure it happens)
*They have every right to shout at you the gospel and you have every right to shout back (free speech)

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Personally I would not be to thrilled to have to listen to this call to prayer everyday, several times a day. To be fair perhaps maybe on occasion would be fine but certainly not as it is done is Hamtrack and Dearborn.

I've always thought it was beautiful. I'm not a believer - but it gets to me anyhow

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   

So your telling me a muslim cant excercise their faith without the adhan being blasted across town?

I'm telling you they have religious freedom - FREEDOM - just as all of us do. How they use that freedom is not for me to say. As long as it doesn't violate others' rights. Is it violating someone's rights?

Really! where in America are you allowed to blast anything at 6am without cops showing up, except around Mosque! Your not even a muslim why are you even defending this? Makes no sense!

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   

I believe the tradition was that any Muslim within the sound of the call was obligated to go to the mosque. Those who could not hear it were not. But also, that was supposed to be an unamplified voice. The app is just a reminder, like an alarm, for those who are not near a mosque.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Byrd

As Choudary puts it ‘The main purpose behind the multiple loud pronouncements of Adhan in every mosque is to make available to everyone an easily intelligible summary of Islamic belief.
‘It is intended to bring to the mind of every believer and non-believer the substance of Islamic beliefs, or its spiritual ideology. In modern times, loudspeakers have been installed on minarets for this purpose.’

So therein lies my issue. I have no problems with Muslims practicing their faith, but I have a problem with them pushing their message over a loud speaker 5 times a day!

But I take it that you do NOT have a problem with:
* starting every football game with a PA announcement Christian prayer
* starting almost all government meetings with a Christian prayer
* campus speakers shouting the Christian gospel at all of us passersby
...etc?

Not sure where your from but only thing I ever hear at thos venues is possibly the anthem! Do you have a problem with that to?

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   

If it's really unbearable I imagine the neighborhood will work it out

Your not even a muslim why are you even defending this? Makes no sense!

I've lived next to bikers. Good folks - Friday and Saturday nights were a trip - especially since they often lasted until 4 A.M.

7:00 in the morning is legal here for lawn mowers - always a treat. Same time for roofers, street sweepers, garbage trucks - there's a weekend street festival a few blocks from here every weekend in the summer, concerts in the park...

Kids, cat fights, dogs barking, birds chirping ( I got busted for having a birdfeeder at my last place. Finches and sparrows apparently really piss people off)

I live blocks from an interstate at the moment - this would be like a gift

It's called life - when did everything become so boring and so sterile - so mean?

edit on 11/22/2015 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   

6 AM would be a late time. The first call is two hours before dawn.

"A Typical Day
Here are the names (in Turkish and Arabic) of the calls/prayers and sample times for the ezan in mid-May in Istanbul:

İmsak (Fajr; 03:38 am): two hours before dawn, to awaken the faithful for prayer (pretty much the middle of the night!)

Blue Mosque Silhouette, Istanbul, Turkey
Sultan Ahmet (Blue) Mosque, Istanbul.
Güneş (Shuruq, Tulu; 05:42 am): Dawn, before the sun appears

Öğle (Dhuhr, Zuhr; 13:12, 1:12 pm): Midday, when the sun passes the zenith

İkindi (Asr; 17:07, 5:07 pm): Afternoon, when the shadows cast by objects are equal to their height

Akşam (Maghrib; 20:21, 8:21 pm): Sunset, when the sun has disappeared below the horizon; beginning of a new day in the Islamic calendar

Yatsı (Isha; 22:08, 10:08 pm): When the last light of day has disappeared

Then 5-1/2 hours' sleep before the next call...."
www.turkeytravelplanner.com...

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   

I'm defending freedom. Does that make ANY sense to you? If the people there don't have any problem with it, it's THEIR community. If they want to have a religious service in the street, complete with singing and praising the Lord, I'm good with that, too. If the people there want it!

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: UnBreakable

Is someone complaining? Are they following local noise ordinances? If so, what's the problem with this? Whose freedoms are being curtailed?

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   

I'm defending freedom. Does that make ANY sense to you? If the people there don't have any problem with it, it's THEIR community. If they want to have a religious service in the street, complete with singing and praising the Lord, I'm good with that, too. If the people there want it!

Ok so you would also defend the coach that was suspended after he refused to stop praying in the middle of the field after a footbal game with faith based players?

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join