It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plato knew? How?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 11:48 AM
link   
As stated, the ancients knew the Earth was round. Plato used to often study ancient (at his time!) texts, and speak with other philosophers and priests, such as in Egypt, etc. Oddly enough, pretty much anyone who's been to sea can deduce the earth is round (just by looking at the horizon), and knowing some of Earth is green, brown, and blue, etc. makes it pretty easy to guess what the Earth looked like from above. Also, one can't discount the possibility of early astral travellers, if one believes such things, however it is not necessary, to explain Plato's statements.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Yes,in addition any group of seafaring people would get a pretty strong hint the earth is round by watching a ship go over the horizon. It seems likely that it is something that had to be 'unlearned' to fill some other need. -Like not getting set on fire in front of a group of your peers.

[edit on 1/5/2005 by beezwaxes]

jra

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Like as other have already said. Lots of other cultures/civilizations knew or assumed the Earth was round, by either observations, math etc. I think the idea of the Earth being flat was a result of the dark ages. When the Roman Empire collapsed and things like education went down hill. After a few centuries things were forgotten. And the majority of people became quite ignorant. That's the way I see it anyway.

If I remember right, it wasn't until the Renaissance when people really started to relearn things (and learn many new things to) again.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I'm sure you've nailed the truth, jra...we're just relearning what those people 3 millenia ago already knew.

By the way...I love your avatar...is it the Avro Arrow? If it is, then it represents more evidence of superior technology suppessed, not by religion, but by politics. It was during Dief's reign, wasn't it?

masqua

[edit on 7-1-2005 by masqua]

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
In Plato's 'Five Dialogues' there is a point in 'Phaedo' where Socrates is telling Simmias what the world looked like from above...

Quote;
"Well then, my friend, in the first place it is said that the earth, looked at from above, looks like those spherical balls made up of twelve pieces of leather; it is multicoloured..."

It goes on to specifically talk about what the colours of the earth are, but my interest is this...How did he know? Why is it that someone living 2500 years ago knew the earth was round, like a ball? And why is it that it took a few brave souls burning at the stake to get that knowledge back into our minds?

just wondering...
btw...i got this out of his book, so...sorry, no link.

masqua

[edit on 4-1-2005 by masqua]

Plato wasn't the only one. In the Bible it says the Earth is round, and goes into even more details.
Go to your local bookstore. Barns n Noble. Or whatever. Ask for where's located:

Author: Zecharia Sitchin
Books by him: The 12th Planet, The Lost Realms, When Time Began, The Cosmic Code, Genesis Revisited, The Book of Enki.

He covers your question, and much more. And answers it all ! With irrefutable evidence (he lists all his sources) from the Bible, and tons of other books from Rome, Bablyon, Assyria, Greeces, S. America, more!

Columbus had in his possession ancient maps showing the Earth as a round planet. Ancient rulers thousands of years ago, had maps of Antartica seen from the air, without its ice cover..
Why? Why?

Are there any other examples of ancient knowledge which seems out of place as this does?

Baalbek Stone bricks - More mysterious than the Great Pyramids. More mysterious than Stonehenge. The Baalbek Stone bricks are the most mysterious objects known to the public. How were they made? Moved? Fitted perfectly?

Egyptians had Battaries and LIGHTBULBS

Antikythera Mechanism/Computer - A 2,000 year old, or older COMPUTER.

Aaand... read the book "When Time Began" by Zecharia Sitchin. Irrefutable proof Stonehenge is an ancient computer. Able to be used for some of the most complex astronomical equations and problems to solve them.

[edit on 8-1-2005 by OpenSecret2012]

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 08:19 PM
link   
They still told of stories and theories even in those days, it took awhile that was sure.

[edit on 22-1-2005 by ancientsailor]

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Here's a site I found with over 24 PAGES of "unexplained" things:

s8int.com...

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 06:01 AM
link   
In ancient times people discovered things like that in dreams that were a memory of astral projections, like Scipio's dream, described by Cicero in his "On the Republic". One can find the passage by doing a web search for "scipio's dream", or here:

www.fordham.edu...

Edited to add this:

By "things like that" I meant things like the world being spherical. Publius Cornelius Scipio Africanus (the African) saw the Earth floating in space in his dream.

[edit on 17-3-2005 by Macrento]

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 03:14 PM
link   
my opinion is that he was apart of a secret socity, and got this knowledge from a mystery school.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 05:11 PM
link   
it kinda makes you wonder just really how smart the ancients were.Im sure if i lived back then iwould surely think the world was round.(dumb asses )

top topics

<< 1   >>

join