It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Misconceptions about the athiest.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amelia
O.k...I was not making generalization, if you don't feel concerned by what I say, don't feel like that.

No ill feelings here, but cannot sit and be quiet while being misreprested to the people here.

Originally posted by Amelia
I was talking about the religion in a wide sens...(different levels of religion beleivers)
Sorry If you feel threatened, I judge nobody

Thank you, but no need to apologize to me. Again just helping the right message to get through. I'm sorry if I sounded upset or angry, it wasn't my intention.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackGuardXIII
Mother Teresa, the Dalai Lama, Gandhi, and Aung San Soo Kyi are all members of different faiths, and all are heroes to me for their unwavering commitment to morality.
No belief can say it has the monopoly on morality in my view, whether theistic, or atheistic.

I completely agree.. though I'm an athiest [but very spiritual] ..there are so many philosophers throughout history that I'd be doing myself a disservice by limiting myself to learning from just one.
Buddha/christ for example [christ as in 'smart guy' not son of god] .. both wise men but I wouldn't ignore one to be loyal to the other.

[edit on 13-1-2005 by riley]

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Seems to me everyone here doesn't understand what 'Christianty' really is. Christianity form the start, c. 300 C.E., was very immoral and used as a scapegoat for Rome. They were losing their Govt., and chose a ruling 'Religion' to adopt instead, to keep control (Roman Catholic Church is almost 1700 years old, I'd say they've won).

When one talks about Jesus' (Yeheshua's) teachings, and moral behaviour, they should look to Gnosticism. That was the religion of the followers of Jesus and Paul. Christianity is Roman.

/flame on

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by sentiencedesign
Seems to me everyone here doesn't understand what 'Christianty' really is. Christianity form the start, c. 300 C.E., was very immoral and used as a scapegoat for Rome. They were losing their Govt., and chose a ruling 'Religion' to adopt instead, to keep control (Roman Catholic Church is almost 1700 years old, I'd say they've won).

When one talks about Jesus' (Yeheshua's) teachings, and moral behaviour, they should look to Gnosticism. That was the religion of the followers of Jesus and Paul. Christianity is Roman.

/flame on

Until you are referencing anything that backs any of the above claims, your post looks like graffiti on an otherwise interesting wall of discussion.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God

Until you are referencing anything that backs any of the above claims, your post looks like graffiti on an otherwise interesting wall of discussion.

Google and be amazed.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 01:01 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

At least some people here read history.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by sentiencedesign

Originally posted by saint4God

Google and be amazed.

Read the gospel and be amazed.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 07:29 PM
link   
read it plenty. was a devout christian until I started to read other things. It's amazing how far my head was up my ass. I owe my life to my Grandfather for getting it out for me.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 11:27 AM
link   
read it plenty, still not amazed. Also sounds like you hadn't found the 'be amazed' part of reading the Bible. It takes not only an open mind, but an open heart. Where is the love in the link you've provided? I feel none. Where is the proof? It's not greater than the Book I have on my desk, the daily experiences I have, nor a relationship with God.

Pray, train, study.
God Bless.

[edit on 19-1-2005 by saint4God]

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 11:56 AM
link   
What the heck is a sin? I mean, as far as I'm concerned the very idea of such a thing is ludicrus. The idea of what constitutes a sin varys widely across the different cultures and lands, so how can you be sure which religion or faith is the one?

It seems to me that all these different belief systems that are centered around God's, and creatures of unfathomable power, are nothing more than paraniod delusions. Mankinds fear of a higher power, ever since the olden days where the primatives cowered from the lightening and thunder above, seems to be the explanation for all this debate. We wish there to be a Heaven or Hell because we like the idea of getting a dog biscuit for being a good little puppy, and the thought of the masters solid back hand striking us makes us fear damnation. We have no evidence to either of these places existance, our only "proof" to their existance is the blind faith we put in them.

If you haven't figured it out by now, I'm an atheist. I'm not some immoral arsehole who thinks he can get away with anything because there is no God, I just see no reason to put faith in something that, for all I know, isn't there. Whoever said "we're all sinners" was right, because if you think about it, in this world you can't take a dump without it being labled a sin.

[edit on 19-1-2005 by Weise]

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Weise
What the heck is a sin?

Merriam Webster puts it best I think: " a : transgression of the law of God b : a vitiated state of human nature in which the self is estranged from God."

I mean, as far as I'm concerned the very idea of such a thing is ludicrus. The idea of what constitutes a sin varys widely across the different cultures and lands,

I thought it was just a Judeo/Christian thing.

so how can you be sure which religion or faith is the one?

Pray to God, ask him. I think for most of us it takes experience to have someone believe. I personnally could not come to God because someone said so.

It seems to me that all these different belief systems that are centered around God's, and creatures of unfathomable power, are nothing more than paraniod delusions. Mankinds fear of a higher power, ever since the olden days where the primatives cowered from the lightening and thunder above, seems to be the explanation for all this debate.

I found God because I was searching for the truth, not because I feared Him.

We wish there to be a Heaven or Hell because we like the idea of getting a dog biscuit for being a good little puppy, and the thought of the masters solid back hand striking us makes us fear damnation. We have no evidence to either of these places existance, our only "proof" to their existance is the blind faith we put in them.

Not blind faith. I have my faith because of the 'proofs' I've received, but my 'proof' will not convince anyone else. They have to find their own 'proof'. Seek and you'll find, as it's written. Yes, I have asked God to "throw me a bone here" and have gotten it. God will 'say no' sometimes as well.

If you haven't figured it out by now, I'm an atheist. I'm not some immoral arsehole who thinks he can get away with anything because there is no God, I just see no reason to put faith in something that, for all I know, isn't there.

Find proof. One cannot click the 'God' button on the remote control and expect him to appear. He wants you to get up to change the channel.

Whoever said "we're all sinners" was right,

Uh, that's a Christian viewpoint.

because if you think about it, in this world you can't take a dump without it being labled a sin.

Wow, that frame of thought sounds oppressing. That does not mean everything we do is a sin. Actually for me, finding God was a very liberating experience. I didn't have to carry around all that sin worrying about what is right and wrong. I didn't have to feel guilt, regret, anger, hatred, yadda yadda. I'm now free to be me.

[edit on 20-1-2005 by saint4God]

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Sin is not the befallen aspect of humanity from God; it's simply a puesdo-doctrine propogated to further enslave the Christian en masse into believing they are inferior and only through the acceptence of Christ may they be 'saved'. It's nothing more than mythical scare tactics. I've never seen a praxeological discourse as to how Humans are born with sin; this is utterly non-sensical babble. Humans are virtualy born pliable to X enviroment --Genetics play a vital part, aswell.

The only sin I see is the further propogation of this culture of fear.

Deep

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroDeep
Sin is not the befallen aspect of humanity from God; it's simply a puesdo-doctrine propogated to further enslave the Christian en masse into believing they are inferior and only through the acceptence of Christ may they be 'saved'.

Oh yes, I'm so enslaved...

It's nothing more than mythical scare tactics.

Hehe, and scared too apparently.

I've never seen a praxeological discourse as to how Humans are born with sin; this is utterly non-sensical babble.

Humans are so good natured. There are no wars, no hate, no anger. Everything is fuffy and happy.

Humans are virtualy born pliable to X enviroment --

All I am is a pet of my surroundings...

Genetics play a vital part, aswell.

because my parents were too.

The only sin I see is the further propogation of this culture of fear.

Deep

Let me guess, fear and ignorance, right?

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join