It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Single Element Proof The Bible Is BS

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:
(post by SPECULUM removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 11:25 PM
link   
The single most undeniable aspect of religion which 'proves' its falsehood is the incongruity of a "God" creating humans with a brain, containing inherent the faculties of logic and reason, yet requiring people to deny these same faculties in order to embrace the illogical and unreasonable notions presented by the dogmata in question.

In other words, people are expected to spurn "God" in order to embrace "God"! An equation hardly beseeming the thinking of an omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent entity... xD

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 05:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: bitsforbytes
a reply to: SPECULUM

That is why it preaches for us to DECIDE what is right...And that we all possess FREEWILL to think for ourselves.

Don't be silly, bible really does not teach what is right or wrong...

“One of the greatest tragedies in mankind's entire history may be that morality was hijacked by religion.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 07:01 AM
link   
a reply to: bitsforbytes

History textbooks are written by the winners. Historians look at more than just the politically friendly version of history by examining personal accounts of what happened, analyzing artifacts of the time, cross examine opinions, and thus get a feel for the general vibe of what went on. REAL history is written by the people who lived it. The history they teach you in school is the sensationalized rah rah pro-government account.
edit on 22-10-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: TheInhumanCentipede

That's interesting. Do you have a personal example? Can you expand on that a little bit for me?

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

It's also a common misconception that the slavery of those days and the slavery of the American south are exactly the same institution. You know what? The Romans kept slaves too, and it was also a different form of the institution. Educated people would sell themselves into Roman slavery because they had hope of buying their way free and gaining the Roman citizenship and patronage of their former masters. There are also slaves who, while still slaves, amassed vast fortunes to themselves.

Yes and in ancient Greece the worker class were called slaves, they couldn't vote since they were mainly foreigners but they had many privileges. But anyone beating or treating badly his slave would get into trouble or be punished.

But what the Jew God, says about slavery?..... ''When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property.'' Exodus 21:20-21

''Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ.''
Ephesians 6:5

''The servant will be severely punished, for though he knew his duty, he refused to do it. "But people who are not aware that they are doing wrong will be punished only lightly. Much is required from those to whom much is given, and much more is required from those to whom much more is given." Luke 12:47-48

I understand were you coming from but at that time, the various civilizations were very different from each other and the pagans (Romans Greeks Egyptians) were much more evolved and civilized than the Jews.

Slavery, while slavery in some circumstances, is also quite different in others depending on which society you are talking about throughout human history. And humans being humans we have all had some practice being either slaver or enslaved. That is quite a variety across all peoples and cultures.

I agree but our subject is specific we are not talking about slavery in various ancient cultures... we are talking about the Jewish culture and society at that time, the creators of the torah... ''the word of God'', and their view of slavery which is way closer to the recent modern American one. (as described by the bible)

Sorry but you can't defend the slavery in the bible by giving the Roman - Greek example,
The bible is specific about the treatment of the slaves.
and this treatment is also approved by god since the book is god breathed/

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   

That is why it preaches for us to DECIDE what is right...And that we all possess FREEWILL to think for ourselves.

Then what is the point of the 10 commandments?
Where was Abraham's free will, when god decided to test his faith by ordering him to murder his son?
Where was Pharaoh's free will when he was blackmailed by the god who killed all the newborn babies and brought many other disasters to Egypt just to change Pharaoh's mind?
What's the point of sending Christ to show us the way?
What's the point of miracles that make people believe?
Why not just leave it to free will?

Since God is omniscient and knows everything we will do in the future, everything is already meant to happen
How do we really have free will, if everything is already pre-written by the god?
IF God knows the future... then we can't change it, and so we don't have freewill we are just following the script of god.

omniscient and free will doesn't go together it is an oxymoron, and those that evalgelize it in the bible are just trying to fill gaps and explain the problematic logic of god.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dr1Akula

Then what is the point of the 10 commandments?
Where was Abraham's free will, when god decided to test his faith by ordering him to murder his son?
Where was Pharaoh's free will when he was blackmailed by the god who killed all the newborn babies and brought many other disasters to Egypt just to change Pharaoh's mind?
What's the point of sending Christ to show us the way?
What's the point of miracles that make people believe?
Why not just leave it to free will?

Since God is omniscient and knows everything we will do in the future, everything is already meant to happen
How do we really have free will, if everything is already pre-written by the god?
IF God knows the future... then we can't change it, and so we don't have freewill we are just following the script of god.

omniscient and free will doesn't go together it is an oxymoron, and those that evalgelize it in the bible are just trying to fill gaps and explain the problematic logic of god.

I've heard people say that several times now. That God is "omniscient" or "omnipresent"... I don't know where people get that from. People who say that- I don't think I've ever read the Bible. They make up stuff that is not even in the Bible and then criticize it. SMH
edit on 22-10-2015 by TheSorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheSorrow
I've heard people say that several times now. That God is "omniscient" or "omnipresent"... I don't know where people get that from. People who say that- I don't think I've ever read the Bible. They make up stuff that is not even in the Bible and then criticize it. SMH

About omniscience in the bible:

Isaiah 46:9

I am God, and there is none like me,
declaring the end from the beginning
and from ancient times things not yet done.

Psalm 139:4

Even before a word is on my tongue,
behold, O LORD, you know it altogether.

Job 28:24

For he looks to the ends of the earth
and sees everything under the heavens.

1 John 3:19-20

By this we shall know that we are of the truth and reassure our heart before him; for whenever our heart condemns us, God is greater than our heart, and he knows everything.

1 Samuel 2:3

Talk no more so very proudly,
let not arrogance come from your mouth;
for the LORD is a God of knowledge,
and by him actions are weighed.

Psalm 147:5

Great is our Lord and mighty in power;
his understanding has no limit.

Job 37:16

Do you know the balancings of the clouds,
the wondrous works of him who is perfect in knowledge.

Plus... an omniscient and omnipotent God is the first thing they teach us on Sunday school,
There is not even one christian or Jew or Muslim who doesn't believe God (yahweh) is omniscient.

You don't know the bible as well as you think which is normal for the religious people,
Read the bible more and more until some day you become an atheist. It's a natural path of logic..
have fun...

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   

About omniscience in the bible:

Isaiah 46:9

I am God, and there is none like me,
declaring the end from the beginning
and from ancient times things not yet done.

Psalm 139:4

Even before a word is on my tongue,
behold, O LORD, you know it altogether.

Job 28:24

For he looks to the ends of the earth
and sees everything under the heavens.

1 John 3:19-20

By this we shall know that we are of the truth and reassure our heart before him; for whenever our heart condemns us, God is greater than our heart, and he knows everything.

1 Samuel 2:3

Talk no more so very proudly,
let not arrogance come from your mouth;
for the LORD is a God of knowledge,
and by him actions are weighed.

Psalm 147:5

Great is our Lord and mighty in power;
his understanding has no limit.

Job 37:16

Do you know the balancings of the clouds,
the wondrous works of him who is perfect in knowledge.

Plus... an omniscient and omnipotent God is the first thing they teach us on Sunday school,
There is not even one christian or Jew or Muslim who doesn't believe God (yahweh) is omniscient.

You don't know the bible as well as you think which is normal for the religious people,
Read the bible more and more until some day you become an atheist. It's a natural path of logic..
have fun...

For those who are uneducated on the issue it's difficult to understand the difference between the different books and dispensations of the Bible. For example,there are books of poetry, history, and prophecy.

It's very easy to mistake history and the culture of the day with who God is. For example, poetry or a song about who God is- isn't necessarily God identifying himself, as much as it is the perception of the writer. If you choose to interpret this as God being "Omni present" or make some other claim that is not in the Bible that's your choice, but it's still not in the Bible. It's your own interpretation.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   

For those who are uneducated on the issue it's difficult to understand the difference between the different books and dispensations of the Bible. For example,there are books of poetry, history, and prophecy.

It's very easy to mistake history and the culture of the day with who God is. For example, poetry or a song about who God is- isn't necessarily God identifying himself, as much as it is the perception of the writer. If you choose to interpret this as God being "Omni present" or make some other claim that is not in the Bible that's your choice, but it's still not in the Bible. It's your own interpretation.

Seems that you don't believe its true what is written in bible...

Very interesting, continue...

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: SuperFrog

I don't claim that the Bible is fact or fiction. Just that most of the comments here lack any real understanding of the story of Babel. They've never read it. They don't understand it. They don't even know who Nimrod is. But yet they jump in and say how dumb it all is. There's more to the story than what people give it credit for. The misconception of people just trying to build a tall building is disappointing.... Takes away from any potential meaningful conversation.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   

It is... omniscient is in the bible, on the all verses in my post above.

Since you claim to be educated on the subject please show me which of the above verses is history, which is poetry, and which is prophecy.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   

edit on 22-10-2015 by TheSorrow because: Sent too soon

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   

I don't claim that the Bible is fact or fiction. Just that most of the comments here lack any real understanding of the story of Babel. They've never read it. They don't understand it. They don't even know who Nimrod is. But yet they jump in and say how dumb it all is. There's more to the story than what people give it credit for. The misconception of people just trying to build a tall building is disappointing.... Takes away from any potential meaningful conversation.

I wonder what is your view about other ancient mythologies like the Greek, the Chinese, the Norse.
Do you also believe there is a bit of truth,teachings of morality, and history in the stories of Zeus ...or your admiration of ancient mythologies is specifically about Yahweh?
edit on ThuThu, 22 Oct 2015 09:52:33 -05001AMk000000Thursdayam by Dr1Akula because: grammar

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   

I wonder what is your view about other ancient mythologies like the Greek, the Chinese, the Normand.
Do you also believe there is a bit of truth,teachings of morality, and history in the stories of Zeus ...or your admiration of ancient mythologies is specifically about Yahweh?

If you're interested I'll give you my input. But your assumption is correct. I am strictly a theologian.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   
These bible threads always turn into God is fake,God is real,God is fake,God is real,God is fake,God is real....People are going insane over this subject.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jobeycool
These bible threads always turn into God is fake,God is real,God is fake,God is real,God is fake,God is real....People are going insane over this subject.

Sad but true. Believe what you want. But I am interested in anyone who would like to have any meaningful conversation about Babel. Comments about unicorns, flying turtles, or whatever else people make up is silly to me. However, the story of Babel does fascinate me. No one even has asked what nimrods intentions really were. What was he trying to accomplish? All they think they know is that they might be building a tall building... SMH

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: TheSorrow

If it was important to the story, wouldn't it make sense that it would be mentioned in the Bible?

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: TheSorrow

If it was important to the story, wouldn't it make sense that it would be mentioned in the Bible?

Have you read it? It is mentioned.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join