It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Single Element Proof The Bible Is BS

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: TheSorrow

Here are other examples of god being in the cloud….(you were saying???)
“And the LORD went before them by day in a pillar of cloud to lead them along .... word, and lead them in it by his own example, whom it becomes them to follow, ...” – Exodus 13:21
“The glory of the LORD rested on Mount Sinai, and the cloud covered it for six days; and on the seventh day He called to Moses from the midst of the cloud.”-

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: toktaylor
a reply to: TheSorrow

Here are other examples of god being in the cloud….(you were saying???)
“And the LORD went before them by day in a pillar of cloud to lead them along .... word, and lead them in it by his own example, whom it becomes them to follow, ...” – Exodus 13:21
“The glory of the LORD rested on Mount Sinai, and the cloud covered it for six days; and on the seventh day He called to Moses from the midst of the cloud.”-

If you are implying that God could be in a cloud or on a mountain- I believe that to be biblically accurate
edit on 21-10-2015 by TheSorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheSorrow
a reply to: toktaylor

You got me there. I do not recall the Bible ever calling God "omnipresent". Do you know where that is? I will take the time and look into it myself and study the matter.

Jeremiah 23:24
Can a man hide himself in secret places so that I cannot see him? declares the Lord. Do I not fill heaven and earth? declares the Lord.

Proverbs 15:3
The eyes of the Lord are in every place, keeping watch on the evil and the good.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: toktaylor

You got me there. I do not recall the Bible ever calling God "omnipresent". Do you know where that is? I will take the time and look into it myself and study the matter.

Jeremiah 23:24
Can a man hide himself in secret places so that I cannot see him? declares the Lord. Do I not fill heaven and earth? declares the Lord.

Proverbs 15:3
The eyes of the Lord are in every place, keeping watch on the evil and the good.

Isn't that consistent with the story of Babel? God is present and seeing what's going on. And eventually takes action. i'm still not sure about the whole "omnipresent" comment. I did a word search and can't find it.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   

I would love to talk about the Tower of Babel on this thread. It appears a few people have even read the story. They don't know what it's about. There are no talking snakes, there are no whales, no flying turtles, no monsters and no unicorns. At least know who Nimrod is!

They are not building up skyward to physically reach God.

Although misquotes are a pet peeve of mine I'm gonna stop addressing that. If anyone else would like to comment on the story and about how it is fiction that is fine but at least take a moment to read the story and understand it before you judge it.
it's an allegory like the garden of eden where adam ate the tree of knowledge. The babel folks used math and geometry and architecture to build a tower higher than any before. The do nothing inherited cohens saw this and felt like they were taking away their popularity so they made stories designed to make people want to stay stupid.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Barcs

You are confusing history and culture with what the Bible teaches on the issue. The Bible has slavery listed with things such as murder. Yes it is true that there are depraved acts in the Bible including slavery and murder. The Bible also teaches that such acts are an "abomination".

Please back this up with quotes. Thanks.

You keep telling everyone they are wrong and don't understand but won't back up anything you say.

I have already in an earlier post.

I haven't seen it. What page? You completely ignored my response from earlier, so I hope it includes a rebuttal to my quotes about men being superior to women and also about Jonah and the talking serpent, all of which you dismissed as "not understanding the bible", when it says it in clear text right in front of my eyes.
edit on 21-10-2015 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   

You are confusing history and culture with what the Bible teaches on the issue. The Bible has slavery listed with things such as murder. Yes it is true that there are depraved acts in the Bible including slavery and murder. The Bible also teaches that such acts are an "abomination".

You keep telling everyone they are wrong and don't understand but won't back up anything you say.

I haven't seen it. What page? You completely ignored my response from earlier, so I hope it includes a rebuttal to my quotes about men being superior to women and also about Jonah and the talking serpent, all of which you dismissed as "not understanding the bible", when it says it in clear text right in front of my eyes.

My bad, I wasn't trying to ignore you. I think what's happening is that you're looking at historically what's recorded in the Bible and assuming that it's approved by God. Yes there is depravity and deprave acts in the Bible that but that does not mean that is acceptable.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   

My bad, I wasn't trying to ignore you. I think what's happening is that you're looking at historically what's recorded in the Bible and assuming that it's approved by God. Yes there is depravity and deprave acts in the Bible that but that does not mean that is acceptable.

It has been irrefutably shown in this thread that the Bible codified the practice of slavery.

Now, if you're going to say that wasn't the will of God then we have to conclude that those who wrote these documents did not understand what God wanted and that the rest of scripture should also be subject to reconsideration in terms of historical and cultural context. The issue of homosexuality is the first that comes to mind for me.

Perhaps that is your belief as well? I'm not sure where you're coming from.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: DelMarvel

It has been irrefutably shown in this thread that the Bible codified the practice of slavery.

Now, if you're going to say that wasn't the will of God then we have to conclude that those who wrote these documents did not understand what God wanted and that the rest of scripture should also be subject to reconsideration in terms of historical and cultural context. The issue of homosexuality is the first that comes to mind for me.

Perhaps that is your belief as well? I'm not sure where you're coming from.

I'm not sure you read the story of babel or realize who Nimrod was. Got obviously messed up his plans to enslave people. If God was not opposed to slavery why would he do this?

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   

That's not what I'm doing in the least, and it seems you are giving everybody this same generic response. I was talking about things the bible got wrong. You said that the bible never mentioned talking snakes or living in a whale for multiple days when it clearly does. You are trying to backtrack and rationalize the quotes using semantics to fit your own interpretation rather than admit that it's old and outdated, and got many things flat out wrong.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Barcs

You haven't read the story of Babel. If you had you would know that there are no unicorns, talking snakes or whales.

It is a common misconception that someone live inside of a whale or that a snake was talking. I've never found this in the Bible.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: DelMarvel

It's also a common misconception that the slavery of those days and the slavery of the American south are exactly the same institution.

You know what? The Romans kept slaves too, and it was also a different form of the institution. Educated people would sell themselves into Roman slavery because they had hope of buying their way free and gaining the Roman citizenship and patronage of their former masters. There are also slaves who, while still slaves, amassed vast fortunes to themselves.

Slavery, while slavery in some circumstances, is also quite different in others depending on which society you are talking about throughout human history. And humans being humans we have all had some practice being either slaver or enslaved. That is quite a variety across all peoples and cultures.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   

You haven't read the story of Babel. If you had you would know that there are no unicorns, talking snakes or whales.

It is a common misconception that someone live inside of a whale or that a snake was talking. I've never found this in the Bible.

Well, I guess you haven't read it carefully enough.

Genesis 3:1

1Now the serpent was more crafty than any of the wild animals the Lord God had made. He said to the woman, “Did God really say, ‘You must not eat from any tree in the garden’?

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Well, I guess you haven't read it carefully enough.

Genesis 3:1

1Now the serpent was more crafty than any of the wild animals the Lord God had made. He said to the woman, “Did God really say, ‘You must not eat from any tree in the garden’?

You only know tiny bits of the Bible and even then you get the details wrong. Snakes and serpents are two different things. Neither of which is in the story of Babel.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   

You only know tiny bits of the Bible and even then you get the details wrong. Snakes and serpents are two different things.

www.blueletterbible.org...

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   

You only know tiny bits of the Bible and even then you get the details wrong. Snakes and serpents are two different things.

www.blueletterbible.org...

I am not the familiar with that website. I wouldn't trust everything you read on the Internet. If you're referring to the serpent of Genesis chapter 3 Nachash- in Kal, to hiss- (my guess a reptile but the Bible does not clarify)

Though it has been thought that prior to the fall, the serpent could not have been called by a name derived from its present form (Delitzsh).

Metaphorically it could be referring to the devil whose instrument it was. Proleptically, with reference to the results of the temptation, for in itself as one of God's creatures, it must have been originally good.

Moses in referring to the subtlety of this creature does not so much point out a fault as attribute praise to its nature and describe qualities which in themselves were good such as quickness of sight, swiftness of motion, activity of the self preserving instinct, seemingly intelligent adaptation of means to end, with perhaps a glance in the use of arum, at the slickness of its glossy skin, but which were capable of being perverted to an unnatural use by the power and crafts of a superior intelligence. So maybe a snake...?

Because of the phrase "beast of the field"- The comparison here is sometimes regarded as evidence that the tempter was a literal serpent, though some find it in conflict between it and all other creatures, as well as in the description to it of preeminent subtlety, which is not a known characteristic of serpents.

Maybe an imitation of that reptile, which in that case was no creature of earth or one that was given its form from God. Some may point to Balaam's ass as an example. Definitely an interesting conversation

edit on 21-10-2015 by TheSorrow because: Typo

edit on 21-10-2015 by TheSorrow because: Typo

edit on 21-10-2015 by TheSorrow because: Many typos

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Nobody's saying the talking snakes are from the tower of babel. When I said it I was referring to Genesis as a whole. Just as I was referring to the book of Jonah in regards to the whale story... or is a big fish not a whale? It's pure semantics.

Snakes and serpents are two different things.

en.wikipedia.org...

Serpent is a synonym for snake.

Serpent (symbolism)
See also: Snake worship

The serpent, or snake, is one of the oldest and most widespread mythological symbols. The word is derived from Latin serpens, a crawling animal or snake. Snakes have been associated with some of the oldest rituals known to humankind[1][2] and represent dual expression[3] of good and evil.[4]

Serpents in the Bible
Serpents (Hebrew: נחש‎ nāḥāš) are referred to in both the Hebrew Bible and the New Testament. The symbol of a serpent or snake played important roles in religious and cultural life of ancient Egypt, Canaan, Mesopotamia and Greece. The serpent was a symbol of evil power and chaos from the underworld as well as a symbol of fertility, life and healing.[1] Nachash, Hebrew for "snake", is also associated with divination, including the verb-form meaning to practice divination or fortune-telling. In the Hebrew Bible, Nachash occurs in the Torah to identify the serpent in Eden. Throughout the Hebrew Bible, it is also used in conjunction with saraph to describe vicious serpents in the wilderness. Tanniyn, a form of dragon-monster, also occurs throughout the Hebrew Bible. In the Book of Exodus, the staffs of Moses and Aaron are turned into serpents, a nachash for Moses, a tanniyn for Aaron.

From thesaurus.com:

Synonyms for snake

vermin

serpent

A serpent IS a snake. And either way, we know snakes and serpents can't talk. We also know that a human cannot survive inside a large fish for 3 days. This is what I mean by demonstrably false claims. I was being extremely vague and simplistic with those 2 examples, they are just the tip of the iceberg. The truth is, I'm very familiar with the stories. I could break a large portion of Genesis down line by line and show you exactly where it conflicts with science and what we know about the world. My interpretation, however, is obviously much different than yours. I don't think it's literally true, I think a large portion of it (especially genesis) is metaphorical.
edit on 21-10-2015 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Nobody's saying the talking snakes are from the tower of babel. When I said it I was referring to Genesis as a whole. Just as I was referring to the book of Jonah in regards to the whale story... or is a big fish not a whale? It's pure semantics.

Snakes and serpents are two different things.

en.wikipedia.org...

Serpent is a synonym for snake.

Serpent (symbolism)
See also: Snake worship

The serpent, or snake, is one of the oldest and most widespread mythological symbols. The word is derived from Latin serpens, a crawling animal or snake. Snakes have been associated with some of the oldest rituals known to humankind[1][2] and represent dual expression[3] of good and evil.[4]

Serpents in the Bible
Serpents (Hebrew: נחש‎ nāḥāš) are referred to in both the Hebrew Bible and the New Testament. The symbol of a serpent or snake played important roles in religious and cultural life of ancient Egypt, Canaan, Mesopotamia and Greece. The serpent was a symbol of evil power and chaos from the underworld as well as a symbol of fertility, life and healing.[1] Nachash, Hebrew for "snake", is also associated with divination, including the verb-form meaning to practice divination or fortune-telling. In the Hebrew Bible, Nachash occurs in the Torah to identify the serpent in Eden. Throughout the Hebrew Bible, it is also used in conjunction with saraph to describe vicious serpents in the wilderness. Tanniyn, a form of dragon-monster, also occurs throughout the Hebrew Bible. In the Book of Exodus, the staffs of Moses and Aaron are turned into serpents, a nachash for Moses, a tanniyn for Aaron.

From thesaurus.com:

Synonyms for snake

vermin

serpent

A serpent IS a snake. And either way, we know snakes and serpents can't talk. We also know that a human cannot survive inside a large fish for 3 days. This is what I mean by demonstrably false claims. I was being extremely vague and simplistic with those 2 examples, they are just the tip of the iceberg. The truth is, I'm very familiar with the stories. I could break a large portion of Genesis down line by line and show you exactly where it conflicts with science and what we know about the world. My interpretation, however, is obviously much different than yours. I don't think it's literally true, I think a large portion of it (especially genesis) is metaphorical.

I don't trust Wikipedia as a source. I did not review that article.

I was trying to discuss the subject matter. Babel- i'm not sure what science you're referring to that disproves this. Maybe if I read the article I would've seen it.

Concerning your line by line of the Genesis account, I think that might be better for another topic altogether. I would be willing to start one. I would guess at that one already exist that we could jump into.

I'm not arguing that Genesis is fact or fiction real or fantasy. I'm simply pointing out that the overwhelming majority of the comments demonstrate a great deal of ignorance regarding the story of Babel. Everyone seems so quick to discount a story they don't even understand. Many clearly have never read it.

On multiple occasions people have commented about the people of Babel trying to build up to God in the clouds or some silliness like that. Indicating that they have no idea what they're talking about. It's one thing to come in and ask a question; its something else entirely to come in and say how stupid is it that these dumb people were "trying to build up to God when we have Rockets, skyscrapers and spaceships and we still haven't found God".

People read little bits and pieces of the story and have no understanding of its context. I haven't seen anyone else even try to discuss Nimrod. A major player in the story. It's too bad, there is a lot of complex ideas and lessons that we could learn from.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Because history is written by the victor, what makes you think your proof is more valid than any other?

If millions of people repeat a lie it is still a lie.
edit on 21-10-2015 by bitsforbytes because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: SPECULUM

That is why it preaches for us to DECIDE what is right...And that we all possess FREEWILL to think for ourselves.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join