It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas Southern University on lockdown after a shooting on campus

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   

I assume involved students who attended the school

there is your first problem, present facts not assumptions

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Shi... I mean
stuff happens

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

i live in a college town and local gangs love selling drugs to, and stealing from, and getting women from college apt complexes, i used to live in a college apt complex while i was not a college student, and it is more crazy inside those complexes than it is in the bad part of town, and it is because the kids from out of town bring their parents money and an inclination to party. These college apts or "flats" as you call them are a natural target for all nefarious types.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Seriously Gortex...I expected better of you than this pandering to a hyped up story because MSM mentions school in their title.

I'm British , my definition of a school shooting is obviously different to yours , if it happens on school grounds at school time then it's a school shooting.

I'm not pandering to anything , just posting the story.
I'm lucky as I don't live in a shooting gallery so don't really have a dog in this fight , I do find it strange that in the 21st century you can't let go of an 18th century comfort blanket.

The US is not a shooting gallery at all.

Shall we go back to the 13th century like the UK, Australia, Japan and China and just stab each other in mass? There were a LOT more deaths back then than there are now.

Here is a report by, typically left leaning NYT, on homicide way back when and how much higher it was than today:

Source

New data presented at the conference by a Dutch scholar, Pieter Spierenburg, showed that the homicide rate in Amsterdam, for example, dropped from 47 per 100,000 people in the mid-15th century to 1 to 1.5 per 100,000 in the early 19th century.

Professor Stone has estimated that the homicide rate in medieval England was on average 10 times that of 20th century England. A study of the university town of Oxford in the 1340's showed an extraordinarily high annual rate of about 110 per 100,000 people. Studies of London in the first half of the 14th century determined a homicide rate of 36 to 52 per 100,000 people per year.

And particularly interesting is this:

The knife and the quarterstaff, the heavy wooden stick commonly carried for herding animals and walking on the muddy roads, were the weapons of choice.

Knife and beating deaths accounted for MORE the 10 times the amount today....ouch!
edit on 10/9/15 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: DOCHOLIDAZE1

im glad you one of those that take any advatage you can to get stars

Oh please ! , put the gun down Doc
If I wanted to gather stars I'd post about an odd shaped cloud or post a UFO video.

The fact is you guys don't like it if anyone criticises your gun culture , so you have to shoot the messenger.

a reply to: ketsuko

The one in Arizona happened at around 1am in the morning. That's hardly "school time."

I didn't post about that one I posted about this one which was school time.

Right , but that doesn't hold when Vasa Croe made this assumption.

From the story I am guessing this is a bad area and more likely just related to criminal activity than an actual school shooter incident.

That's fine because he's pro gun right ?

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

The one in Arizona happened at around 1am in the morning. That's hardly "school time." And if people come on a campus or in its general vicinity and do a crime, then it is hardly the fault of the university.

Should we start labeling crimes by the proximity to local features? If it happens near a liquor store, is it a "liquor store" shooting? If it happens near a grocery store is it a "food riot?"

Exactly my point....I would guess if there were mass shootings like this one very often they would say it was because the shooter thought shooting overweight or fat people was easy since they could not move fast....Fast Food Shooting

McDonald's Mass Shooting
edit on 10/9/15 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Seriously Gortex...I expected better of you than this pandering to a hyped up story because MSM mentions school in their title.

I'm British , my definition of a school shooting is obviously different to yours , if it happens on school grounds at school time then it's a school shooting.

I'm not pandering to anything , just posting the story.
I'm lucky as I don't live in a shooting gallery so don't really have a dog in this fight , I do find it strange that in the 21st century you can't let go of an 18th century comfort blanket.

But this happened at a housing area some distance away from the academic buildings and facilities. How is it still a school shooting? Several media sources are saying "student housing NEAR campus." Granted, several others are saying "campus housing." But it didn't happen AT the school. Which is what a school shooting is.

I find it strange that you're so concerned with my "security blanket" from all those miles and miles away.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   

im glad you one of those that take any advatage you can to get stars

Oh please ! , put the gun down Doc
If I wanted to gather stars I'd post about an odd shaped cloud or post a UFO video.

The fact is you guys don't like it if anyone criticises your gun culture , so you have to shoot the messenger.

a reply to: ketsuko

The one in Arizona happened at around 1am in the morning. That's hardly "school time."

I didn't post about that one I posted about this one which was school time.

Right , but that doesn't hold when Vasa Croe made this assumption.

From the story I am guessing this is a bad area and more likely just related to criminal activity than an actual school shooter incident.

That's fine because he's pro gun right ?

It's not an assumption. There was a shooting Thursday night in the same area. And another shooting in the same complex in August, I think.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   

My quote holds because there were 2 shootings very recently before this one at the exact same complex. Yours is just an assumption in general.

I would say bad area and I would bet if I researched the area I would find it to be absolutely the case.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   

my gun culture? american gun culture? i am correct in saying that every military in the world has guns(and worse) every country has gun deaths (including yours). It just so happens we are the latest country that is being disarmed so we get to be put in the world wide news for your viewing pleasure. I must ask. why do you enjoy watching and commenting on Americas gun deaths?

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Yours is just an assumption in general.

One victim, identified only as a student, died less than 30 minutes after the shooting, Pickens said. A second victim was in stable condition at a Houston-area hospital
www.latimes.com...

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   

So there are NEVER any shootings in your bad areas of town?

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   

I must ask. why do you enjoy watching and commenting on Americas gun deaths?

I don't , I think it's sad.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Students live in bad areas. If the only way to live near campus is to live in a bad area, that's what you do. There's a midtown university here in KC and what separates "good" from "bad" is often as little as a block or less. And at night the lines are blurry.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   

i dont see you commenting on Uganda's, or London's, former Yugoslavia's, or Chilies, or Colombia's, or Russaia's. America must have a special place in your heart, that or you have an agenda

sorry to be fair, i could also say you are being swept up in the hype of an agenda.
edit on 9-10-2015 by DOCHOLIDAZE1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: DOCHOLIDAZE1

i dont see you commenting on Uganda's, or London's, former Yugoslavia's, or Chilies, or Colombia's, or Russaia's. America must have a special place in your heart, that or you have an agenda

That's because you haven't looked.
Man shot dead in broad daylight in East London

edit on 9-10-2015 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   

so it seems you just have an agenda against guns in general, if thats the case, were is your threads asking to remove the firearm's from world military's and law enforcement?

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Yours is just an assumption in general.

One victim, identified only as a student, died less than 30 minutes after the shooting, Pickens said. A second victim was in stable condition at a Houston-area hospital
www.latimes.com...

That's funny because another story, a bit closer to the actual scene states:

HOUSTON (AP) — One person was killed and another wounded during a shooting Friday at a Texas Southern University student-housing complex, and the Houston campus has been placed on lockdown, university and police officials said.
Houston police spokesman Kese Smith said a possible suspect has been detained. The shooting was reported around 11:30 a.m. at University Courtyard Apartments, a student-housing apartment complex on the edge of campus.
Smith said it wasn't clear whether the individuals were students, but he said one person was killed and another person was wounded.
University spokesman Kendrick Callis said the campus is on lockdown and classes have been cancelled at the school, which has about 9,700 students.
Police and emergency vehicles were at the scene, though no additional details were immediately available.
The incident occurred just hours after another shooting near the same housing complex. The university said in a statement that the earlier shooting occurred early Friday morning, and that the school was increasing police presence on campus. Details about the earlier shooting weren't immediately available, and it's unclear whether the shootings are related.

So they don't know if it was a student and just hours earlier there was another shooting, but that one must not have been a school shooting since it didn't make the news right?

Again...you are reaching here. That and the reports are that 3 people approached the victims and shot them....anywho...keep up the agenda from overseas......I am perfectly happy in my "shooting gallery". I guess I could say that at least my kids are not getting molested by everyone and their father like in the UK though right?

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: yeahright
a reply to: noonebutme

You should search for 'crimes stopped by armed citizens'. It happens with some frequency actually. It just doesn't get the same coverage.

Unfortunately, nowhere near as much coverage as the woman at Home Depot trying to pick off a shoplifter did. Wonder why?

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 04:54 PM
link   

edit on 9-10-2015 by gortex because:

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join