It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas Southern University on lockdown after a shooting on campus

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Thanks for the link.

Wow. It's almost daily. I don't know whether to be happy or sad :/

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
Why is a late night fight between two groups of students resulting in one student pulling a gun on the others being called a school shooting?

It was a parking lot fight that ended in a parking lot shooting.

been shot on Blodgett Street near Canfield around 11:30am

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: noonebutme
a reply to: SpaDe_

Really? I wasn't aware of that. It certainly isn't publicised.

But I don't understand why it woudnt be. Surely the NRA would jump on such incidents in order to support their organisation and the argument against tightened gun control?

Because they are for the rights of the people. The left claims they are propagandists...couldn't be farther from the truth. The left wants news that sells to push an agenda.....and that agenda is being blasted around the net today. The NRA KNOWS they don't have to push these stories because those that carry are educated on these and will always support carry.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

both shootings today just happened to be at schools, but were not "school shootings" in the sense of the Oregon shooting.....just MSM wanting headlines.

Are you saying that because the two today weren't mass casualty events that doesn't really make them school shootings ?

We're hearing from Houston police that two people may have been shot in the 3500 block of Blodgett Street near Canfield around 11:30am. The shooting happened at the Tierwester Oaks section of the University Courtyard Apartment Complex. The apartment complex is owned by TSU and is on campus property.

edit on 9-10-2015 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   

a reply to: infolurker

Thanks for the link.

Wow. It's almost daily. I don't know whether to be happy or sad :/

Well....I would be happy that they are stopping real criminals....now imagine if they WEREN'T stopping them. How many extra deaths would be out there each day.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: SpaDe_

The impression I get on why Americans like their guns and want to keep them is for protection of themselves and their families, etc.

So...how come no one EVER stops these shootings?

They are stopped all the time by law abiding citizens, you just never hear about it because it doesn't fit the agenda. Just like the latest shooting had a would be hero at the scene that apparently tried to stop the shooter, but you didn't hear about that on the news now did you?

Know why else they dont hear about it?

Because it never turns into a mass casualty event because the person doing the shooting is put down

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   
so its an apartment complex shooting. i like the misleading title

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

originally posted by: Shamrock6
Why is a late night fight between two groups of students resulting in one student pulling a gun on the others being called a school shooting?

It was a parking lot fight that ended in a parking lot shooting.

been shot on Blodgett Street near Canfield around 11:30am

I can read, thanks.
I was referring to the comments calling the shooting in Arizona a school shooting.

It wasn't, so I'm perplexed as to why it's being lumped in with actual school shootings.
edit on 9-10-2015 by Shamrock6 because: Sounds bitchier than I intended

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   

both shootings today just happened to be at schools, but were not "school shootings" in the sense of the Oregon shooting.....just MSM wanting headlines.

Are you saying that because the two today weren't mass casualty events that doesn't really make them shootings ?

Are you really trying to relate either of these to a school shooting? I have seen your posts before and I know you are not as obtuse as you are playing right now.

You have to be able to understand the difference between what you are posting and an actual school shooting with the shooter targeting multiple innocent people.

Like I said and quoted...2 shootings at the same apartment complex in the very recent past with no coverage at all....this is simply criminal behavior as usual at this place.

To compare this to a school shooting is very disingenuous.

So why the push here? People were shot at both scenes....hundreds are shot and die per day in inner cities with no coverage....are you saying that because they weren't near universities they don't matter?
edit on 10/9/15 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: SpaDe_

The impression I get on why Americans like their guns and want to keep them is for protection of themselves and their families, etc.

So...how come no one EVER stops these shootings?

They are stopped all the time by law abiding citizens, you just never hear about it because it doesn't fit the agenda. Just like the latest shooting had a would be hero at the scene that apparently tried to stop the shooter, but you didn't hear about that on the news now did you?

Exactly what Spade said, There are plenty that are stopped. Really just wanted to add this:

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Oh look, during a statement confirming the shooting the university president took the time to say "guns are too readily accessible."

Sure didn't waste any time did he? Zero knowledge about how the gun was obtained or a motive, but not too early to get the gun control drum out for some more beating.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Are you really trying to relate either of these to a school shooting?

The thread is about this shooting , it happened on school grounds and I assume involved students who attended the school so yes in my opinion it is a school shooting.

So why the push here? One person died at both scenes....hundreds die per day in inner cities with no coverage....are you saying that because they weren't near universities they don't matter?

It just highlights the problem your country has with guns , or rather the poor control over who owns guns.
The fact is in this shooting one person was killed on a school campus , that doesn't make any worse than the others that are shot daily but it is another young life wasted needlessly.

edit on 9-10-2015 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Here is a link to a few shootings in Chicago last night.....6 to be exact. I bet there was at least one person that went to college somewhere nearby that lived in the vicinity of one of these shootings....why are they not being broadcast all over MSM?

Chicago Shootings Last Night

One man was killed and at least six other people were wounded in shootings Thursday, police said.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   

The thread is about this shooting , it happened on school grounds and I assume involved students who attended the school so yes in my opinion it is a school shooting.

So why the push here? One person died at both scenes....hundreds die per day in inner cities with no coverage....are you saying that because they weren't near universities they don't matter?

It just highlights the problem your country has with guns , or rather the poor control over who owns guns.
The fact is in this shooting one person was killed on a school campus , that doesn't make any worse than the others that are shot daily but it is another young life wasted needlessly.

So, when it comes out it was either argument, gang or drug related is it still a school shooting? And if it does come out that it was one of those three things, are you going to look up every single argument/gang/drug related shooting in the US and post about them?

The US has no problem with guns, nor gun control. I have shown in every thread recently posted on shootings that every country that has stict regulations on guns have the same homicide numbers after the regulations are in place....they don't change. Here is a link to the mass stabbings in in the recent past....most are in China which has some of the most strict regulations in the world..

Mass Stabbings

So do these places have a major problem with edged weapons? Should they be controlled too?

Seriously Gortex...I expected better of you than this pandering to a hyped up story because MSM mentions school in their title.
edit on 10/9/15 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

the apartment complex is a mile away from campus, im glad you one of those that take any advatage you can to get stars, you should look for a job in main stream media

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

So, when it comes out it was either argument, gang or drug related is it still a school shooting? And if it does come out that it was one of those three things, are you going to look up every single argument/gang/drug related shooting in the US and post about them?

Seriously Gortex...I expected better of you than this pandering to a hyped up story because MSM mentions school in their title.

Don't be too hard on Gortex, I really think there's a severe lack of understanding by Foreigners on this particular topic. I was in a discussion with five Brits just yesterday about this topic and the lack of understanding is astonishing. Call it culture shock *shrugs*

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Yes, there are a lot of campuses in major cities where the area around the school is bad. WSU is Wichita is like that. They have a big 4th of July thing every year in their football stadium (or what used to the football stadium), and my choir used to sing at it. The last year, there were roving gang groups in the parking lots when we left. There was one shooting and another group stuffed a guy in his trunk after beating him up. That's how bad the immediate area around the campus was. It has not changed much in the years since.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   

I'm British , my definition of a school shooting is obviously different to yours , if it happens on school grounds at school time then it's a school shooting.

I'm not pandering to anything , just posting the story.
I'm lucky as I don't live in a shooting gallery so don't really have a dog in this fight , I do find it strange that in the 21st century you can't let go of an 18th century comfort blanket.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: PsychoEmperor

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

Don't be too hard on Gortex, I really think there's a severe lack of understanding by Foreigners on this particular topic. I was in a discussion with five Brits just yesterday about this topic and the lack of understanding is astonishing. Call it culture shock *shrugs*

It is sad. Mostly a case of MSM propaganda working its magic. I think more critical thinking on these topics prior to posting is needed. I tend to stay out of other people's business but I get really tired of those not in this country thinking we are all just walking around shooting people all the time.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

The one in Arizona happened at around 1am in the morning. That's hardly "school time." And if people come on a campus or in its general vicinity and do a crime, then it is hardly the fault of the university.

Should we start labeling crimes by the proximity to local features? If it happens near a liquor store, is it a "liquor store" shooting? If it happens near a grocery store is it a "food riot?"

edit on 9-10-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join