It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Bible Taught us a lot of Astronomy

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Domes includes mortuary, celestial, and governmental traditions that have likewise developed over time.

Celestrial

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs
a reply to: Agartha

The continents have edges by no stretch of the imagination.
And the context in which pillars is used could easily be symbolic.
So again the most any of you have amounts to an argument.
You have know proof the Bible is wrong about anything.
But no one can stop you from be wrong going forward and
continuing to make the same tired old claims that really only
amount to nothing any way. Keep trying.

Blimey, somebody is in a bad mood today!
Why do you guys get upset when we question the Bible? Just because you believe it's the word of God and we don't, it doesn't mean you have to get upset..... jeez.

Anyway....... back to your post and the OP.

The edges are clearly the edges of the Earth, it never says continents, it says Earth.

What about the Bible saying Earth doesn't move and the Sun goes around it? That is a clear error.

I Chronicles 16:30: "He has fixed the earth firm, immovable."
Psalm 93:1: "Thou hast fixed the earth immovable and firm..."
Psalm 96:10: "He has fixed the earth firm, immovable..."
Psalm 104:5: "Thou didst fix the earth on its foundation so that it never can be shaken."
Isaiah 45:18: "...who made the earth and fashioned it, and himself fixed it fast..."

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: FearYourMind

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

a reply to: FearYourMind

Actually I'm using the Euclidean Geometry definition of a circle.

Circle

A circle is a simple shape in Euclidean geometry. It is the set of all points in a plane that are at a given distance from a given point, the centre; equivalently it is the curve traced out by a point that moves so that its distance from a given point is constant. The distance between any of the points and the centre is called the radius.

A circle is a simple closed curve which divides the plane into two regions: an interior and an exterior. In everyday use, the term "circle" may be used interchangeably to refer to either the boundary of the figure, or to the whole figure including its interior; in strict technical usage, the circle is the former and the latter is called a disk.

A circle may also be defined as a special ellipse in which the two foci are coincident and the eccentricity is 0, or the two-dimensional shape enclosing the most area per unit perimeter squared, using calculus of variations.

"Circle" has many definitions.

a closed plane curve consisting of all points at a given distance from a point within it called the center. Equation: x 2+ y 2= r 2.
the portion of a plane bounded by such a curve.
any circular or ringlike object, formation, or arrangement:
a circle of dancers.
a ring, circlet, or crown.
the ring of a circus.
a section of seats in a theater:
dress circle.
the area within which something acts, exerts influence, etc.; realm; sphere:

Notice "sphere" is one of them.

Source

That part of the definition that includes sphere is for a cliche. Circle of influence is a saying. It added realm and sphere to the end of it because you can change the saying around a bit by swapping out those words.

A sphere is NOT a circle.

A sphere (from Greek σφαῖρα — sphaira, "globe, ball") is a perfectly round geometrical object in three-dimensional space that is the surface of a completely round ball, (viz., analogous to a circular object in two dimensions).

Source

Oh so when -I- try to use the Euclidean definition of circle you retort with the dictionary definition which includes a cliche, but when you talk about a sphere, the Euclidean definition is the one you are going to go with and not the cliche that is referenced from that first definition.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Like I said, there are many definitions. I think I have proven that.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Agartha

The Earth is fixed in it's place here in the universe. The sun keeps us where we are ensuring we never venture off into the darkness.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   

There is only one definition that matters. The Euclidean Geometry one. The bible didn't say "sphere"; it said "circle".
edit on 25-9-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   

You claimed a sphere is not a circle and when you look at the Greek translation it can be considered a circle and even says "Globe".

A sphere (from Greek σφαῖρα — sphaira, "globe, ball") is a perfectly round geometrical object in three-dimensional space that is the surface of a completely round ball, (viz., analogous to a circular object in two dimensions).

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   

There is only one definition that matters. The Euclidean Geometry one. The bible didn't say "sphere"; it said "circle".

The Bible didn't use The Euclidean Geometry. The Greek definition is more accurate to what they described.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   

You claimed a sphere is not a circle and when you look at the Greek translation it can be considered a circle and even says "Globe".

A sphere is a 3-D object and a circle is a 2-D object. They aren't interchangeable.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   

A sphere (from Greek σφαῖρα — sphaira, "globe, ball" What part of that do you not understand. When the Bible wasn't written in modern day English.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   

None of those definitions are interchangeable with circle. A globe isn't a circle either.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Also, you said a dome wasn't a accurate description though the definition of "dome" says: "Domes includes mortuary, celestial, and governmental traditions that have likewise developed over time."

Hence the word "Celestial"

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   

According to the sources I provided, my argument stands.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Also, you said a dome wasn't a accurate description though the definition of "dome" says: "Domes includes mortuary, celestial, and governmental traditions that have likewise developed over time."

Hence the word "Celestial"

A dome is a half-sphere. It's a 3-d object sitting on top of a circle. You are really trying to stretch these definitions, but I keep telling you that you can't do that with definitions like this. You HAVE to use the precise definitions. They are defined that way for a reason. This is why you are wrong. You have to go through tons of mental gymnastics to make your premises fit.

A circle is not a sphere is not a dome is not a globe is not a ball. A circle is a 2-d object.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Look, I already provided the sources and definitions. You can call it what you want, but I have debunked your argument. Now you are in complete denial.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   

"You HAVE to use the precise definitions"

You have to use the Greek and Hebrew definitions. Not the modern day scientific definitions.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   

You know what. I'm done. This argument is getting silly. Be happy with your confirmation biases. I'm out of here. If you can't understand the difference between two dimensions and three dimensions and think that you can interchange a circle with a sphere then we aren't talking about the same type of math (fyi Euclidean Geometry COMES from Ancient Greek buddy, if the Greeks said circle they meant a 2D object). You are talking about some weird and undefined math.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Genesis 1:7 (ASV) And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so.

A firmament is a "sphere".

A sphere (from Greek σφαῖρα — sphaira, "globe, ball".

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

And the context in which pillars is used could easily be symbolic.

Actually Randy if you go back to my very first post in this thread I talked about just how ignorant the Biblical authors were and how very literal these sorts of statements are.

One of the most obvious examples is that the Hebrew word for sky/ the heavens is often used for God's dwelling place. Over the Earth there was a dome, a firmament, and out in space there was water (Genesis 7:11 says the windows of heaven were opened). You can research this for yourself it was a commonly held belief in Jewish "Cosmology" that the Earth was a flat disc surrounded by water and separating the waters below from the waters "above" was the firmament. So these people literally believed God lived in the sky, that's why God is always DESCENDING from on high and Jesus had to ASCEND back into Heaven (or are all of those ALSO symbolic in your version of Christianity?).

Another great example, if you care to actually research your Bible, is the numerous references to the heart and kidneys being the place where emotions and thought take place. This is because in some parts of the ancient world it was believed that the heart was where the mind was. This belief was massively prevalent and the purpose of the brain was not understood at all. And no these instances are NOT symbolic, ancient people literally believed thinking was done with the heart.

You've no doubt heard the expression "I have a gut feeling" or "a dream is a wish your HEART makes" these exist because at one time they were thought to be LITERALLY true and the function of the brain was not understood. The brain isn't mentioned ONCE in the entire Bible.

Now if God was really inspiring a book why would he let wildly untrue things be said about him and his creation? Why would he allow humans to think he was up in the sky somewhere? Why does Genesis have plants AND day and night both created BEFORE the sun? Why are there "four corners" and "foundations" and "pillars" for Earth and stars that can fall right out of the sky?

Of course with our modern sensibilities you might say to yourself, "Well the Biblical authors couldn't have been that stupid, they must be using imagery and symbolism!" But these are the same savages who thought tearing the entrails of a bull and sprinkling blood on an altar would magically appease God. These are the same people who have a religion based on ritual blood-magic where curses and witches are real, donkeys can talk and sometimes it may be necessary to slaughter entire enemy tribes down to the last child. These are people who thought picking up sticks on a Saturday would OFFEND THE CREATOR OF THE EARTH and deserved to be punished by death.

Earlier you accused me of knowing better... I accuse you of knowing better, at this point you have to know this - ain't real.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Titen-Sxull

If you go on to read the next verse it says: "The rain fell upon the earth for forty days and forty nights." So, it was referring to rain.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join