It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Bible Taught us a lot of Astronomy

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Titen-Sxull

It's all selective bias. Only worry about the parts that agree with your conclusion, disregard the rest (including any context it was said in and ESPECIALLY things that contradict your conclusion), then tell people that tell you that you are wrong it's only your interpretation. Repeat times infinity.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   

"the heart was where the mind was."

The heart is an analogy for the soul. The soul controls the mind.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: FearYourMind

You're not getting it, I encourage you to look into the actual Hebrew words involved. In the ancient world it was believed that the heart was where the soul resided, it was the center of thinking, of feeling, and it was where man's essence was.

Hebrew word for Heart

The Kidneys also played a part according to ancient beliefs.

Hebrew word for Kidneys

You can find this same word for kidneys used in verses like Psalm 26:2 where the Psalmist is crying out to God for God to test him. He doesn't examine my brain - he says examine my heart and KIDNEYS. People believed their guts literally were responsible for feelings, that's where the expression "GUT FEELING" comes from.

If you go on to read the next verse it says: "The rain fell upon the earth for forty days and forty nights." So, it was referring to rain.

Edit to add: You're not getting it once again. They had NO idea where rain really came from, the author thinks God opened a floodgate in the firmament, that is the solid dome over the Earth, and let the rain fall through.
edit on 25-9-2015 by Titen-Sxull because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Agartha

Blimey, somebody is in a bad mood today!
Why do you guys get upset when we question the Bible? Just because you believe it's the word of God and we don't, it doesn't mean you have to get upset..... jeez.

I AM NOT IN A BAD FRIGGEN MOOD AGARTHA!
( HUMOR )

Seriesly tho, it seemed more like you were making accusations, but I didn't mean
to sound upset. You guys are all making perfectly honest mistakes
on purpose and I get that. No big deal. I'll just go down to the corner
liquor store and grab some chocolate, I'll be fine.....

I Chronicles 16:30: "He has fixed the earth firm, immovable."

It is fixed in it's orbit and immovable from it.

Psalm 93:1: "Thou hast fixed the earth immovable and firm..." " " " "
Psalm 96:10: "He has fixed the earth firm, immovable..." " " " " "
Psalm 104:5: "Thou didst fix the earth on its foundation so that it never can be shaken." "" "" "" ""
Isaiah 45:18: "...who made the earth and fashioned it, and himself fixed it fast..." "" "" "" ""

Just like I said you guys are only making lousy arguments.
Arguments prove nothing.
edit on Rpm92515v26201500000005 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   

You don't seem to comprehend analogies very well. When someone tells you "His heart is made of stone", or "He is heartless", do you literally sit there and think "Wow, this person is crazy because they think he is without a heart" in literal terms. I mean, it's laughable that you can't understand what they are talking about.
edit on 25-9-2015 by FearYourMind because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Thank you for making this thread.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Once again you're not getting it.

We have those phrases today BECAUSE people literally used to believe they were true. They're not analogies, it's not symbolism it's not imagery, it's not poetry, the Biblical authors didn't even acknowledge the existence of the brain let alone know what it was used for.

As I said before, we have phrases like "I have a gut feeling" and "a dream is a wish your heart makes" because at one time people literally believed those things, they literally believed their guts were responsible for thinking. TODAY we understand its not literally true but they did not. You can look into this for yourself. It wasn't just the Bible authors but Egyptian culture and even the Ancient Greeks didn't understand the function of the brain and thought thinking was done with the heart. The gods would test your heart, just as it says in that verse from Psalms.

Why do you have no desire at all to retain or even look into any of the information I've provided here? Are you really so blind?

For centuries human beings had no idea the brain existed or had anything to do with thinking. This ignorance is demonstrably present hundreds of times over in the Bible.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Sorry guy, but you don't understand or you wouldn't have so many asinine questions. Your gut is where your soul exists and your heart and soul act as one, but it's not in literal terms. When you are angry do you feel the anger in your brain or in your gut and heart? All of your feelings come from that area of the body. All of your actions are a result of the feelings you have in your heart and soul. Your brain just decides what to do about it.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   

You're just being willfully ignorant at this point.

No. None of my feelings are in my gut. Feelings and emotions are in the mind and can sometimes trigger physiological response, such as the common "butterflies in the stomach" feeling. You are making the exact same mistake the ancients who wrote the Bible made, they felt adrenaline pumping, stomach churning, intestines clenching and thought that mankinds essense and thinking was done in the abdomen area. When someone died and they took the body apart they assumed the heart and kidneys were involved in thinking.

These verses are NOT figurative, they literally believed these things in the ancient world.

Where do you think the phrase "Intestinal Fortitude" comes from? Or the phrase "fire in the belly". They are linguistic reflections of REAL ANCIENT BELIEFS.

You can look into this yourself, in the study of medicine for thousands of years the heart was thought to be the seat of the soul where the mind exists and thinking took place. It's not figurative.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   
The Bible teaches us not to use our bodies but our souls because the body is mortal. It teaches over and over again to go forward in life using your heart and soul. You must keep your soul pure and the soul is the most important part of us.

The Bible does speak of the mind as well. It warns us of what it is capable of turning us into.

Colossians 3:1-21 - Therefore if you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. 2 [a]Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth. 3 For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God. 4 When Christ, who is our life, is revealed, then you also will be revealed with Him in glory.

edit on 25-9-2015 by FearYourMind because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Here are some scriptures that debunk your claims:

Isaiah 26:3 - You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you.

Romans 12:2 - Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

Philippians 4:4-9 - Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

Romans 12:1-2 - I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

James 1:8 - He is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.

Romans 7:23 - But I see in my members another law waging war against the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members.

Philippians 2:5 - Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus.

Ephesians 4:22-24 - To put off your old self, which belongs to your former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful desires, and to be renewed in the spirit of your minds, and to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness.

Colossians 3:1-2 - If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth.

Colossians 3:2-5 - Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory. Put to death therefore what is earthly in you: sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry.

Romans 7:25 - Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin.

Matthew 22:37 - And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.

2 Corinthians 4:4 - In their case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

Romans 12:1-21 - I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. For by the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think with sober judgment, each according to the measure of faith that God has assigned. For as in one body we have many members, and the members do not all have the same function, so we, though many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs

Thank you for making this thread.

Thanks for being a supportive member of this thread.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Three posts back from this, you accidentally set up an "italics" instruction [ i ] which is now affecting the rest of the page.
Just in case you were wondering.

OK, I've just cancelled it out in this post.

Just to clarify. You had a series of letters of the alphabet betwen square brackets, at intervals, and "i" was one of them.
I cancelled it by inserting [ / i ] at the beginning of this post.
PS Before then you accidentally set up a "bold" instruction [ b ], which was apparently superseded by the italics.
edit on 25-9-2015 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

I was wondering what was going on with that. Let me see if I can correct it. Thanks for the heads up.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Awesome. Thanks again. Not sure what I did still, but it's all good now.

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Titen-Sxull

The Bible says the Earth has pillars. It says the Earth has a foundation.

The Bible says the Earth has four winds.

The Bible says the Earth has a FIRMAMENT, that is a solid dome placed over it where the sun, stars and the moon are. Genesis also claims that the moon is a lesser light to rule the night but the moon HAS NO LIGHT of its own and is merely reflecting the sun's light. The Bible also says that STARS can FALL from the sky and will in the end times. All that water that came in the Flood was believed to have come from above the dome because that's where the Biblical authors thought rain came from, as water from above the firmament seeping through windows in "Heaven" (Genesis 7:11)

Edit to Add: Yes, the heavens, and the air, and the sky, and Heaven (as in God's dwelling) often use the SAME HEBREW WORD. God resided somewhere above the dome, somewhere in the sky. They were seriously THAT ignorant of reality!

Also found in the Bible is the ancient belief that the heart and kidneys were where thoughts and feelings were stored, not the brain. The brain doesn't actually make an appearance in the Bible because its authors had no idea it was involved in the thought process. There's a great series about how prevalent this belief was both in the Bible and the ancient world.

There's also a great article on Patheos that talks about the so-called "scientific knowledge" contained in the Bible.

The Pillars of the Earth
[/quote
I thought the recorded account of the flood was that the water came out of the earth.

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 11:27 PM
link   
a reply to: piney

The Bible says the water that was under the Earth also burst forth, but in Genesis 7:11 it talks about the windows of Heaven. The word used for heavens/sky in that verse is the same Hebrew word used for Heaven when referring to it as God's dwelling place. These people literally believed God lived somewhere in the "heavens above".

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 12:39 AM
link   

And? What's your point? We have recently discovered a ocean underneath the Earth that is larger than the ocean on the surface. So waters came from above and below during the great flood.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   

I was only able to read the first few pages before losing patience..

The bible is obviously scientifically incorrect in many aspects. We cannot deny that, but we also cannot deny the harmony it portrays regarding how humans should be interacting and treating each other.

Science is never going to be correct(at least no time soon) and those that worship the current science are holding the rest of us back. We need to stop taking the bible as scientific fact and start embracing the moral teachings it tries to portray.

Just like we laugh at the science of the bible and what the ancients "knew", the humans hundreds of years in our future will be laughing at our science textbooks from this era that we "knew" to be true.
BUT without the bible, and without our current textbooks, there would be no advanced scientific minds laughing at us from the future. We depend on this evolution of the mind, we would not exist without the simple thinking of those before us.
The sooner we understand that science is not the most important thing to pursue to achieve happiness, the sooner we evolve as a species for the better.
Science is important no doubt, but without spirituality, kindness, and respect for other humans, science will surely doom us.

Spirituality/morality/love/respect should always come first, before science.
I think of those 4 terms as the foundation for science. Otherwise we are building a reality of science on top of something very unstable.
The result is what we are seeing around us today.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Wow. I would like to see where the scriptures clais that. If this is actually in the bible I must have missed it and If it actually is, the bible just became a whole lot more ridiculous then I first thought.

originally posted by: FearYourMind

originally posted by: noonebutme
a reply to: andy06shake

Hey man - their words, not mine!

Hell, as far as I'm concerned it's a hollow earth filled with Reptillians while the moon is made of green cheese.

That all seems more plausible than a burning bush and a guy with a boat and 2 of every animal...

Reptilians are what people consider aliens. The fallen angels are capable of shape shifting into any form, but God turned them into hideous reptilian creatures as their real identity, hence why the snake is always considered evil.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join