It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oregon Judge Refuses to Perform Same-Sex Marriages

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 01:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
And the winners of the ATS tag team debate is Pahge and Jade
So glad to have members like yourselves (Loved up no sleep high on pain meds and just had a scotch).

Thank you and rest well.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 01:21 AM
link   
a reply to: JadeStar

Rest I have only just gotten up

Scotch!!

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 01:23 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74
Blech.

Bourbon!

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 01:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Best thing ever to happen to the stuff

Just missing sharks really Sharkfirenado

Nah I like Wild Turkey but I like my scotch to taste like band aids.

(post by EnduranceArtist removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 07:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: GeisterFahrer

How would you suggest she be "accommodated?"
She refused to issue legal licenses and she instructed her subordinates to to the same. That is not legal. Where does "accommodation" allow for illegal activities?

Would you sign a check that belonged to someone else?

That is why she instructed her subordinates to not issue licenses - all of them had her name on them. She wanted nothing to do with issuing ANY license.

The gay couple that sued, claimed they were not doing this for the national publicity, they were doing this so they didn't have to drive one county over to get their license. (refusal to accommodate).

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 07:47 AM
link   

he has defied his own law

The President does not make laws.

Neither does the US Supreme Court - but they redefined marriage without the consent of the governed.

www.committeeforjustice.org...

www.wsj.com...
edit on 8-9-2015 by GeisterFahrer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 07:48 AM
link   

a reply to: windword

I just assumed the judge in question served as a Justice of the Peace, at least sometimes.

Not a good assumption I think.
Judges can perform marriage ceremonies but it is not a "duty." Like ministers.

Look at it this way. There are two couples that come to the courthouse looking to get married by a "Justice of the Peace". The court house fulfills the service for one couple, but turns the couple away because the "Justice of the Peace" disapproves of their union, because they're same sex.

That's discrimination. Who's to blame, the judge refusing or the courthouse for failing to provide a Justice of the Peace for all its citizens? This is my question.

edit on 8-9-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 07:57 AM
link   
So, how can it be discrimination if the judge refuses to perform any marriage ceremony?

It's either 100% or NOT AT ALL

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: JadeStar

he has defied his own law

The President does not make laws.

I see that Geister still hasn't gotten their head around what "separation of powers" means or the role of the three branches of our government.

Not sure what you mean. Could you explain how a law was written by the Supreme Court without the consent of the governed? because each and every time this was put to a vote, the overwhelming majority agreed that marriage is between one man and one woman. How can 5 unelected judges change the law without the consent of the governed? That is legislating - and is strictly forbidden by the US Constitution. When a law is written without the consent of the governed, it is null and void.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   

The Supreme Court didn't write a new law, they struck down an unconstitutional one.

edit on 8-9-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   
So you're telling me in the entire United States there is not one Muslim judge who also refuses to do same sex marriages? I know the media and most of ATS only cares about attacking the Christian religion. I've seen multiple tapes of Muslim bakeries and shops that refuse to participate in same sex marriages but nobody cares about them or sues them.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Court houses offer a service. People can get married at a court house through the "Justice of the Peace". You can't have a court house that offers a legal service to some people but denies the same service to LGBT folk, any more.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

There is already precedent set for all of these cases when they legalized interracial marriage. We are just repeating history with gay marriage here.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
I've seen multiple tapes of Muslim bakeries and shops that refuse to participate in same sex marriages but nobody cares about them or sues them.

Where? Do you have links?

As far as I know, there was an undercover witch hunt to go after Muslim bakers to prove this point. No baker is required to decorate a cake or write on a cake in an offensive manner. They can't refuse to bake a standard cake, such as one from their catalog.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 09:08 AM
link   

I've seen multiple tapes of Muslim bakeries and shops that refuse to participate in same sex marriages but nobody cares about them or sues them.

I've seen a flying spaghetti monster hover over my house before. I'm going to provide exactly the same amount of evidence for my claim as you just provided for yours too.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: windword

The Supreme Court didn't write a new law, they struck down an unconstitutional one.

That is an incorrect assessment. DOMA was constitutionally legislated into law, and because of a conscientious objection of a President who flip flopped on the issue, he put advocate judges into the Supreme Court to "change the law". They re-wrote the law, without the consent of the governed. They have redefined "marriage", and 2 of those justices were marrying same sex couples even before it was legal. Due to a conflict of interest, they were legally obligated to recuse themselves. Every single act of judicial tyranny Jefferson warned us about, took place, when the redefinition of marriage was "written into law".

And for those claiming that us dissenters "do not understand" how government works - oh .. yes .. we .. do.

www.cnn.com...

Davis should not have to resign or be jailed, Gannam said, because "accommodation of religious conscience is the law in Kentucky, including for elected officials." "It's the duty of the Kentucky government to accommodate that, and they very easily could do so," Gannam said. "Gov. Beshear is the one who should do his job or resign."

in addition to the governor being fined and/or jailed - the judge that ordered Davis to jail should also be made to resign and be fined and put in jail.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Those are from states where LGBT's don't have rights to public accommodations. Only a few states include LGBT in their public accommodations non-discrimination laws.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: GeisterFahrer
They re-wrote the law, without the consent of the governed.

You are incorrect. The Supreme Court didn't re-write any law.

Kim Davis could have EASILY accommodated her own religious objections, by allowing her deputies to issue these licenses, but she PROHIBITED them from doing so.

in addition to the governor being fined and/or jailed - the judge that ordered Davis to jail should also be made to resign and be fined and put in jail.

For what offense should the Governor and judge go to jail? Requiring that the Constitution not be violated by officials?

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I imagine that these kinds of threads, which basically boil down to "suck it up, this is the law now", are exactly what we would have seen if there was an internet in the '60s during the Civil Rights movement.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join