It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge upholds Arizona's 'show your papers' immigration law

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Back to:

Carrying an ID is generally required if you’re driving a vehicle or a passenger on a commercial airline. These requirements have been upheld on the slippery premise that individuals who prefer not to carry ID can choose not to drive or fly.

From here, ID laws only get more complicated. In Hiibel v. Sixth Judicial District Court of Nevada, the Supreme Court upheld state laws requiring citizens to reveal their identity when officers have reasonable suspicion to believe criminal activity may be taking place. Commonly known as “stop-and-identify” statutes, these laws permit police to arrest criminal suspects who refuse to identify themselves.

www.quora.com...

Reasonable suspicion which is what the op was about.

A cop has suspicion they can ask.

IT's the LAW for everyone else.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
a reply to: neo96

So you would want compulsory ID's and the police able to stop anyone legal or not to demand those papers?.

They already do.

License,registration, INSURANCE ring a bell ?

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
a reply to: Sremmos80

Again, you are only seeing the floating oil.

Big Governments are Failures.

No I am asking you to explain your stance, something that you will only do in roundabout ways.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   

That is for driving, again not a right but a privilege.

Stop combining the two and it will much simpler.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   

a reply to: seeker1963

We didn't want compulsory ID cards and so we don't have them despite our government wanting us to have them.
I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy from some members here who bleat freedom but only when it suits them.
Wouldn't ID cards and police asking for them break the right to move freely thing in the constitution?.

I am not familiar with your laws across the pond but our laws that apply to us (citizens) get really pissed when we get arrested and thrown in the clink thus spend a snip ton of money to be free of prison, yet those who come here illegally and get arrested are let go back on the streets?

Does that make any sense to you? Because that is what is happening here! A blind eye to the law for those here illegally, yet those here legally get the chains?

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   

What If one does not drive?.
Can you answer my question or not? Do you want compusory ID cards and the police able to stop and ask for these when ever?.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Thought it has long been established all we have left are privileges left.

That is except when it comes to illegals. They get 'rights'.

Must be nice to be in the 'in' crowd/.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Can you answer my question or not? Do you want compusory ID cards and the police able to stop and ask for these when ever?.

Doesn't matter if one drives or not, I have seen cops ask passengers for ID, and people walking on the streets.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Can you answer a straight question or not?.
I don't have to have any ID on me at all in the UK is it law to have to carry ID in the states?.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Reasonable suspicion which is what the op was about.

I don't see those words in the OP.

A cop has suspicion they can ask.
And they can jail me if I don't have it on me, or refuse?

edit on 9/6/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Well ya with laws like this we are running out of rights, but you are ok with that so don't complain.

Illegals get arrested just like the rest of us, does it ever get old spitting out that garbage that they some how get treated differently?

Just because they choose to break the law time goes that they don't get caught doesn't mean they are given a free pass.
But to pass laws that take away rights to go after them is wrong.

Driving, bank accounts, booze, hotel rooms all those things that req ID are not rights, stop comparing them to rights as if it some how justifies this.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Doesn't matter if one drives or not, I have seen cops ask passengers for ID, and people walking on the streets.

EVERY DAY Neo! I read in the paper the police reports and someone gets pulled over for a minor traffic infraction and the police pull everyone out of the car and search them and a PASSENGER gets arrested for having a joint or paraphernalia on them!

Maybe our brethren across the pond can digest that FACT and realize where we are coming from?

We can hope but I doubt it.......

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Yes I understand that police do that, they have to have a reason correct? same as over here.
Seeing no one is answering a simple question I ask you the same.

Do you want compulsory ID cards and the police having powers to stop anyone for no reason to ask for those cards?.
edit on 6-9-2015 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-9-2015 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   

You are right, cops are out of control with that action.

What does this law do to prevent that? All it does it make even EASIER for them to do it.

Another way of phrasing this, how does this promote personal freedom?
edit on thSun, 06 Sep 2015 17:23:14 -0500America/Chicago920151480 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Not really, as far as the driver goes he has to pretty much give it up, part of the deal. Gets a little tricky with passengers too.
This law would take all that trickiness out that though, it is a grey area now, this makes it black and white.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Notice the silence when I ask a simple question?.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   

I am sure we are just awaiting the final proof reading of the beat around the bush indirect answer.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Imagine the uproar from some in this thread If Obama announced national compulsory ID cards?.
Hypocrites.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   

I bet it would turn into something about muslims and sharia law.

And something about commies.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Chalk this one up as another great gift that Republicans have given this country along with 2 endless wars, the NSA and the Patriot Act, war on drugs, LGBT discrimination, etc

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join