It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seattle sees fallout from $15 minimum wage, as other cities follow suit

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: fshrrex
A $15 @ 40hr. week - you are looking at $28,000 a yr...before taxes. The national poverty line is currently $24,500 for a family of 4.

40 hours a week at $15 per hour is $600 per week and $31,200 per year gross.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

Funny, it always worked out that way on my paycheck as employee.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
Did it say they asked to get cut to 24 hours?

Not the point I am making, if you cannot cut it working 40 hours a week at $9.32 why would you work less hours when you are getting paid more?

link   

originally posted by: Ultralight
a reply to: In4ormant

I don't pay myself that but my emp,oyees get that and more. THEY ARE my success and deserve the kudos. I care so I share. Guess what? They don't dred coming to work, they maximize their work product, and they are less stressed and have less medical issues.

Why owners do not equitably share profits with ALL those who make it for them is beyond me.

Do your employees also equitably share in your losses?

link   
a reply to: proob4

I DO NOT UNDERSTAND IT....really. Don't be an ass.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Funny, it always worked out that way on my paycheck as employee.

But, you don't know who didn't get a job because your position acquired a minimum wage.

Less people paying more taxes equals less taxes.

ADD: I just looked at your first post and I misunderstood, I thought you were saying that minimum wages increase tax revenue.

Higher pay usually isn't outpaced by higher taxes but, if it is then we must ask...

Why are people on welfare paying taxes?
edit on 22-7-2015 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: fshrrex

I am willing to bet a majority of the workers are women, probably quite a few single mothers.

Great post.

But I'm willing to go one further and say none of this even happened and it's just a hypothetical that has been spun into an anecdote which in turn gets spun into some sort of mass 40hr exodus among the "leeches" & "wild animals".

link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: fshrrex
A $15 @ 40hr. week - you are looking at $28,000 a yr...before taxes. The national poverty line is currently $24,500 for a family of 4.

40 hours a week at $15 per hour is $600 per week and $31,200 per year gross.
And that's peanuts' for wages. Thanks for pointing that out!

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 08:29 PM
link   

I could live without the internet, maybe. But the rent and cellphones are mandatory. I prefer not to live on the East-side because it is to expensive, but my girl love's it so I'm stuck for now.

As long as you don't make more than $2000 a month you can keep getting welfare, so to some degree I can see why some are asking for less. I'd rather have $400 in cash then 200 in food stamps, but that's just me.

link   
Getting chippy in here. I'm gonna grab some wine and settle in. brb

link   

originally posted by: proob4

I think that is overcompensation for the low skilled labor they perform.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   

I DO NOT UNDERSTAND IT....really. Don't be an ass.

Not being a "ASS" quit the name calling right NOW, learn how to debate and not deflect!

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: johnwick

originally posted by: Shamrock6
a reply to: johnwick

Pretty sure the "value" being referred to here is "value added to society."

But I'm sure you knew that.

I agree wholly.

They make food, the most basic and overall most important thing to humanity.

Without it, nothing else matters because humans wouldn't exist.

Yes, value added to society, by keeping it possible to even exist.

But you knew that.

They serve food, sure. Usually mediocre food, served with an attitude as often as not. The girl that refused to hand customers their drink cups at the local McDonald's, and was surly and rude when customers demanded (saw that in person), doesn't deserve $15 an hour for her work. The guy in back, flipping frozen burger patties, tossing the stuff together lopsided, and wrong as often as not, doesn't deserve $15 an hour for his work. Society doesn't need fast food; we want it. It's a convenience. It used to be better, and delivered to us with some degree of caring about the quality of service. Lately, that isn't the case. We have stopped frequenting most fast food places, over such issues. Out of three local places that got orders wrong, ONE of them took the time to correct the issue, and showed any concern that they'd made an error. Above and beyond, in that case, and I will still go there. Of the other two, one rarely sees us, and the other, I won't ever go back to. $15 an hour? Oh, no way! A good employee might be worth that much. Most fast food employees are not. And I have worked that sort of job, myself. McD, BK, and Carl's Jr, at various times. I know how it goes. I saw a lot of crappy employees working those places, and a very few good ones.

Heck, my older son works in a grocery store, and does a good job, but he doesn't earn that. When asked, just now, he stated flat out that what he does isn't worth that much money.

I do understand that companies often don't pay the good employees enough, or appreciate the work they do. A forced wage of $15 an hour, for minimum wage jobs, though, is too much.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: RealTruthSeeker

I could live without the internet, maybe. But the rent and cellphones are mandatory. I prefer not to live on the East-side because it is to expensive, but my girl love's it so I'm stuck for now.

As long as you don't make more than $2000 a month you can keep getting welfare, so to some degree I can see why some are asking for less. I'd rather have $400 in cash then 200 in food stamps, but that's just me.

But you see my point, choices you have made are dictating your situation. Some people refuse to give up the iPhone they have in one hand while the other is in taxpayer pockets.

link   

Sorry to hear you like fast food slavery.

link   

I don't have losses. Seriously. But if I did, the employees would not pay for them, no.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   

I don't pay myself that but my emp,oyees get that and more. THEY ARE my success and deserve the kudos. I care so I share. Guess what? They don't dred coming to work, they maximize their work product, and they are less stressed and have less medical issues.

Why owners do not equitably share profits with ALL those who make it for them is beyond me.

Greed.

Some folks can never have enough. They would watch others starve and die if it got them another nickel.

Sucks, but it is true unfortunately.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   

If someone does not want to be a 'fast food slave' then they need to increase their value.

I made minimum wage once, when I was 17 years old.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Now that's funny! Your response just proved your assery. Thank you for that.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Stop calling it slavery. They chose the life they lead. No one forced them to slack off in that publicly funded school, or drop out, or knock up that girl at 17, or get knocked up at 16. Quit being an apologist

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join