It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

General Lee From “Dukes of Hazzard” Losing Its Confederate Flag

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: awareness10

Take what? You are still allowed to own, buy, sell, and display the flag. You whining because a private entity is changing a piece of pop culture that you grew up with isn't the same thing as the Confederate flag being outlawed.

Heck, why don't you go out and buy a Confederate flag and display it in your yard as a sign of protest if this makes you so upset?
edit on 24-6-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Take what? You are still allowed to own, buy, sell, and display the flag. You whining because a private entity is changing a piece of pop culture that you grew up with isn't the same thing as the Confederate flag being outlawed.

Heck, why don't you go out and buy a Confederate flag and display it in your yard as a sign of protest if this makes you so upset?

Who said i cared about pop culture or culture in general .. lee. hehe had to add that on for a chuckle. Err perhaps if you understood what i meant you'd realize that i was speaking for the people who's heritage evolved from that little piece of their personal history. I think we all know by now that Countries aren't conquered all at once, but piece by piece. A little piece of history here, a little there until one day you wake up and realize nothing left is recognizable anymore, which is happening right now and rather fast in comparison to say 10 yrs ago.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   

What about the people whose heritage comes from that flag representing their people being forcefully brought over from their home lands and being forced to work day in and day out without due compensation?

In any case, I don't care about those people's heritage, it isn't in danger. They are more than allowed to continue to flag the racist flag all live long day. That's why I told you to go out and buy your own. Make a racist flag making company tons of money by supporting a racist flag. I don't care.

The point is that Warner Brothers has every right to remove this flag, the people up in arms about the flag are exercising their 1st Amendment rights (as much as you despise this), and the state governments shouldn't be flying a flag that represents slavery, racism, and at the VERY least a time in history where the states committed treason against the federal government. That's really all there is too it. Your entire rant is just a whine fest because you don't like the way society's morals are headed.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   

A little piece of history here, a little there until one day you wake up and realize nothing left is recognizable anymore, which is happening right now and rather fast in comparison to say 10 yrs ago.

No, it's not happening any faster...you are just getting older.

It's a fact of life, the older you get, the faster it seems things are changing around you, the more it seems like things were better when you were young, and the more disdain you have for the changes you are seeing.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   

What about the people whose heritage comes from that flag representing their people being forcefully brought over from their home lands and being forced to work day in and day out without due compensation?

In any case, I don't care about those people's heritage, it isn't in danger. They are more than allowed to continue to flag the racist flag all live long day. That's why I told you to go out and buy your own. Make a racist flag making company tons of money by supporting a racist flag. I don't care.

The point is that Warner Brothers has every right to remove this flag, the people up in arms about the flag are exercising their 1st Amendment rights (as much as you despise this), and the state governments shouldn't be flying a flag that represents slavery, racism, and at the VERY least a time in history where the states committed treason against the federal government. That's really all there is too it. Your entire rant is just a whine fest because you don't like the way society's morals are headed.

So what you're actually getting tied up in a knot over is that Your feelings are hurt because of an emblem and everyone else who disagrees with you is LABELED a racist. Hmm not really a strong argument when you bring up that card consistantly, because you feel the need to be right and win the argument? Not cool.

You realise how many other symbols are out there that are Offensive to people? I'm sure there are zillions. If you want to conquer one you must conquer them all. But doing it based on how you 'feel' isn't going to work because there are loads of other People who 'feel' the opposite to what you do. So who is right? Is freedom of expression and speech not allowed anymore because you personally don't agree with how others associate and feel about this flag?
edit on 6/24/2015 by awareness10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: kruphix

A little piece of history here, a little there until one day you wake up and realize nothing left is recognizable anymore, which is happening right now and rather fast in comparison to say 10 yrs ago.

No, it's not happening any faster...you are just getting older.

It's a fact of life, the older you get, the faster it seems things are changing around you, the more it seems like things were better when you were young, and the more disdain you have for the changes you are seeing.

Yes and No. mostly yes. However... You also get Wiser to the antics of Society and those who Govern it using tax payers $ to accomplish it a lot of times against the will of the majority.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Actually what is grinding my gears are all the ignorant conservatives complaining that there is going to be an imminent federal ban on the Confederate flag when that isn't even CLOSE to what is happening. But way to continually misinterpret my point. I've already clearly laid out that I couldn't give a damn if you own the flag personally and want to fly it. I've also called the flag racist, I haven't specifically called anyone who likes it racist. I can't help it if someone that likes the flag is ignorant of the flag's true history.

In other words, it grinds my gears when people who don't understand how the first amendment works start complaining that their first amendment rights are being violated.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

look.. everyone has their own view of this. So they're not going to ban it, fine. My point is that they've already started pulling it off amazon, walmart and other giants with influence over the majority and how they think. So.. they are playing chess with this right now, and it looks an awful lot like they're being swayed by someone' to do this. Why now?

Why didn't you complain about it decades ago. People in general... don't care. It's just a flag. A flag with pretty stars and colours on it. Even a guy on this thread mentioned he had black friends who liked it, are you calling them dumb and misinformed because they like it? You can't keep labelling people.

Let's take the nazi flag for example. It was NOT evil until it became associated with evil. It is an ancient symbol of peace. It was turned 90 deg. backwards thus creating what we know it is today. does it mean the forwards symbol is evil too ? Most people associate it with evil due to one single man and his crew. Now it has become evil in the minds of most humans who are aware of it. But ..what about those who are unaware of it? will it affect them? No it won't. So what's the problem?

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   

people have been complaining about it.
i think it was krazyshot but someone posted a bunch of links dealing with it.

its not like it was a non issue before the shooting. it was an issue
now its the issue of the day

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mugly

It's an issue to some people, not all people. There are people for whom it's not an issue at all. So why should the people with the non issues have to bend over all the time for the people with issues?

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: awareness10

look.. everyone has their own view of this. So they're not going to ban it, fine. My point is that they've already started pulling it off amazon, walmart and other giants with influence over the majority and how they think. So.. they are playing chess with this right now, and it looks an awful lot like they're being swayed by someone' to do this. Why now?

Those are all decisions that Amazon, walmart and the other retail giants are free to make. As to why they are doing it. It's because a racist asshole walked into one of the oldest historic black churches in Charleston and shot and killed 9 people including a Senator while letting two live (one of which was just playing dead and the other he told to report what he did there).

Though if you are trying to frame this as a brand new argument, it isn't. The flag flying on the capital building in Charleston comes under fire every few years from groups trying to get the state to take it down. Look this article is from 2013:
Confederate flag controversy and NAACP boycott resurface amid talk of football bowl game in Charleston

Why didn't you complain about it decades ago. People in general... don't care. It's just a flag. A flag with pretty stars and colours on it. Even a guy on this thread mentioned he had black friends who liked it, are you calling them dumb and misinformed because they like it? You can't keep labelling people.

Actually, when the flag was removed from the capitol dome in 2000 I was pretty excited, and even THEN I thought this big to do about keeping the flag on the building was silly and wrong. So nice try.

Let's take the nazi flag for example. It was NOT evil until it became associated with evil. It is an ancient symbol of peace. It was turned 90 deg. backwards thus creating what we know it is today. does it mean the forwards symbol is evil too ? Most people associate it with evil due to one single man and his crew. Now it has become evil in the minds of most humans who are aware of it. But ..what about those who are unaware of it? will it affect them? No it won't. So what's the problem?

Doesn't matter what it means. I wouldn't advocate flying it on a state building. I could care less who supports it personally though. Though I won't hesitate to call THEM racist, because let's face it anyone who uses the Nazi symbol these days (outside of Indians using it in Hindu rituals) is being racist.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mugly

It's an issue to some people, not all people. There are people for whom it's not an issue at all. So why should the people with the non issues have to bend over all the time for the people with issues?

respect maybe but how are the people with no issues with the flag bending over?
theyre not.

people are bending over cause you cant get it at wal mart now. they are bending over cause they are talking about taking them off gov buildings?

ok man.....if thats your definition of bending over....

that symbol holds a lot of hate to a lot of people. that symbol belongs in the history books and museums so the history of it is never forgotten.
i dont see why people dont get this simple concept.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kromlech

Say goodbye to the General Lee as you’ve always known it.

There's a flag?

edit on 24-6-2015 by JohnnyCanuck because: my preview isn't working!!

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Ok fair enough.

However how would you know if someone was using a swastika or say wearing it on their shirt was racist or just really into hindu rituals? See? People label people and judge them constantly without knowing the reasons behind why they're doing or wearing what they're wearing.

And then those same people who judge others go ballistic on the people just admiring an ancient symbol whatever it may be, and create a NCC or BNA or whatever they choose to call their little club, and they use that power behind their created club to bash people so that no one wants to use it anymore and it creates havoc hate and anger in droves. Then we have a giant ass scenario where everyone walks around in fear worried about being labeled or sued because they simply chose to use a symbol that had nothing to do with what people think it meant.

That's a huge ass problem.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Mugly

Ok whatever you say warden.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Ok fair enough.

However how would you know if someone was using a swastika or say wearing it on their shirt was racist or just really into hindu rituals? See? People label people and judge them constantly without knowing the reasons behind why they're doing or wearing what they're wearing.

I'm going to be honest and say that if they are sporting the swastika on their shirt and are white, they are probably racist. If they have a swastika on their shirt and are Hindu, then I'll believe they are sporting it for religious reasons. Though, I happen to work with quite a few Indians and I've yet to see a single one of them sport a swastika. Ever.

And then those same people who judge others go ballistic on the people just admiring an ancient symbol whatever it may be, and create a NCC or BNA or whatever they choose to call their little club, and they use that power behind their created club to bash people so that no one wants to use it anymore and it creates havoc hate and anger in droves. Then we have a giant ass scenario where everyone walks around in fear worried about being labeled or sued because they simply chose to use a symbol that had nothing to do with what people think it meant.

Well what can you do? You can't legislate against the symbol. That just creates more backlash against it and ingrains it even further as a resistance symbol. The only way to stop hate from breeding is with education. Yet so many are resistant to mandated education. It's a lose-lose situation. All you can do is make sure the government doesn't promote the symbols and try to stay ahead of the times. There are plenty of other symbols we can adopt. The loss of one or two to racist reasons is really just a drop in the bucket to all the other possible symbols we could use.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Ok fair enough.

I'm going to be honest and say that if they are sporting the swastika on their shirt and are white, they are probably racist. If they have a swastika on their shirt and are Hindu, then I'll believe they are sporting it for religious reasons. Though, I happen to work with quite a few Indians and I've yet to see a single one of them sport a swastika. Ever.

You realise your statement is Racist right? It's also based on your 'Perception', and it is also judgemental to the extreme to assume before knowing that simply being anglo saxon makes you racist for wearing an ancient hindu symbol that you feel empowers you spiritually. It's been a while since ww2 and i'm sure people aren't so stupid they would automatically assume someone is racist before thinking about it first. Or is it that the white race will forever be a target even though innocent due to an event in history that took place decades ago? That would be most ignorant.

Well what can you do? You can't legislate against the symbol. That just creates more backlash against it and ingrains it even further as a resistance symbol. The only way to stop hate from breeding is with education. Yet so many are resistant to mandated education. It's a lose-lose situation. All you can do is make sure the government doesn't promote the symbols and try to stay ahead of the times. There are plenty of other symbols we can adopt. The loss of one or two to racist reasons is really just a drop in the bucket to all the other possible symbols we could use.

=======================================================================================================================
You are blind if you think the Gov doesn't promote hateful symbols, just take a look around you, it's in your face 24/7

edit on 6/24/2015 by awareness10 because: (ALIENS)

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   

You realise your statement is Racist right? It's also based on your 'Perception', and it is also judegemental to the extreme to assume before knowing that simply being anglo saxon makes you racist for wearing an ancient hindu symbol that you feel empowers you spiritually. It's been a while since ww2 and i'm sure people aren't so stupid they would automatically assume someone is racist before thinking about it first. Or is it that the white race will forever be a target even though innocent due to an even in history that took place decades ago? That would be most ignorant.

Yes, I do realize it, but I'm not afraid to admit it. It is also VERY likely that a white man sporting a swastika is a racist, or at the least a reformed racist (like Edward Norton after he gets out of jail in American History X).

You are blind if you think the Gov doesn't promote hateful symbols, just take a look around you, it's in your face 24/7

The government can be overly hypocritical at times. I have never once claimed that the government is perfect. It is after all a collection of imperfect humans, but that doesn't mean we can't strive for perfection. I also don't agree with 100% of the things the government does. Whose assuming things about people now?

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   

You assume too much, because reverse psychology works, now i want to go buy a tshirt with a swastika on it, but facing the opposite way 'round the way it was meant to be.

I don't know how it is in America but everything seems to be a touchy subject there, way too much drama for me, but my observations are quite swift, like watching fish interact through a large tank. Sometimes it's easier to view from the other side.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   

a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

EXACTLY! Bunch of whiners in this thread complaining because a company is trying to get ahead of the will of the market.

matt matt matt... your glib.

What is happening here is NOT a company reacting to the demands of the market. Who do you think the market for dukes of hazzard toys is? Is there somebody that previously loved dukes of hazzard and the confederate flag, but now refuse to buy hazzard products unless they remove the flag? That would be responding to the market. This is running in fear from cultural parasites.

What is happening here is companies running like scared little boys because of a vocal minority or activists that are NOT even a part of their market. Completely different thing, and you know it.

I have f-all respect for "southern culture" to be completely honest but this flag thing is just a bunch of BS of the highest order. It's distraction for stupid people, seriously... I have become stupider by involving myself.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join