It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

General Lee From “Dukes of Hazzard” Losing Its Confederate Flag

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: James1982

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

EXACTLY! Bunch of whiners in this thread complaining because a company is trying to get ahead of the will of the market.

matt matt matt... your glib.

What is happening here is NOT a company reacting to the demands of the market. Who do you think the market for dukes of hazzard toys is? Is there somebody that previously loved dukes of hazzard and the confederate flag, but now refuse to buy hazzard products unless they remove the flag? That would be responding to the market.

They likely make very little on the toy car...but the PR risk is having people boycott other products...so yes, this is precisely responding to the market.

The CEO of WB could be the grand poobah of his local KKK chapter and he would still pull the license for the general lee toy car....cuz the math says it's the smart move.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   
"Ya know there is a particular creek that people sometimes canoe up without a paddle. You could say the Duke boys were on that particular creek right now"

Sorry...Couldn't resist

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I think the majority of you are younger than me but does anyone remember the popularity of these in the 60s and 70s among the hippies I had one.

cdn.totallycostumes.com...

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

Yes. I loved my Johnson Smith catalogs. People around here have Nazi collectables. However, it doesn't appear to be a racist thing. Maybe they just hide their racism well.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: tnhiker

and in fact those flags were the ones that started slavery here. So, lets ban them as well

They didn't actually. The Spanish where the first to bring slaves to North America.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: gentledissident

I didn't even know what it represented.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777
a reply to: gentledissident

I didn't even know what it represented.

Two different symbolic genealogies and origins..

The Celtic Cross, Cross of Odin etc. has a symbolic history going back a couple thousand years and was adopted by the Nazi's and hate groups.

The Confederate flag was conceived by confederate troops, specifically General Lee's battle flag and didn't gain any prominence after the civil war until the civil rights movement and was used as a symbol of opposition to integrating the south.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kromlech
I knew it'd be next in their witchhunt. IMO, all these companies are removing it as a preemptive measure to keep the likes of Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson off their backs.

Get over it!
It's a BUSINESS DECISION.

You do know what's been happening, yes?
The public is rejecting this symbol of hate and ignorance across your country, businesses who have used this symbol have no choice but to remove it if they want to keep making money.

What do you think Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson would do about this? They have more pressing concerns than whether a damn toy is sold with that image on it.

People really, and I mean really, need to grow the f up about this. It's damn meaningless to you whether they remove that flag or not, while meaning a lot to others who see it a symbol of ignorance.

The sooner that symbol dies out and becomes irrelevant to American society the better off you'll all be.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: irishhaf
a reply to: Kromlech

Oh ffs..I really hate the PC crowd... Yet another piece of my childhood memories gone.

Yep, between those bastards and the idiot social justice warriors this nation is going straight down the toilet.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I wonder whats worse having the confederate flag on the car or naming it General Lee.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

It's incorrect to say the Confederate battle flag 'didn't gain prominence' until the civil rights movement began.

After Lee surrendered, pockets of rebels continued to fight under that flag. After fighting had finally ceased, southern communities saw the flag as a symbol of unity and recovery. Remember, Sherman's March all but destroyed the south economically. Punitive actions by Union soldiers and supporters made life hell for all southerners during the Reconstruction period. It didn't matter if they had owned slaves or not; all southerners were dirty rebs and treated as such.

Many southerners still see the Confederate battle flag as a positive symbol, reminiscent of that sense of solidarity and hope in the face of adversity. Some see it dfferently. That's life; not everyone will see it your way. Apparently that's hard for certain people to accept.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   
It still seems to be popular though, i mean this website has a back order of 8000 and they say selling 20 flags within a 24 hr period is considered a very good day.

www.rebelstore.com...

They also say on their website, "We appreciate your support during this terribly sad time while the intolerant, the mean spirited, and the uneducated attack our Proud Southern Heritage with a vengeance". along with,"Please don't worry that we will ever bow to the historically stupid, politically correct."

Now looking at it all, it does make me think whoever mastermined this one, knew the Reverse Psychology would engineer this result which was massive amounts of people buying the flag. Who can know the absolute mind of psychopaths in charge though right? Everything is calculated on planet purge.
edit on 6/25/2015 by awareness10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: awareness10
Now looking at it all, it does make me think whoever mastermined this one, knew the Reverse Psychology would engineer this result which was massive amounts of people buying the flag. Who can know the absolute mind of psychopaths in charge though right? Everything is calculated on planet purge.

...or, if you limit the number of outlets where these type of items can be purchased, it makes it much easier for the NSA to collect their lists of who's buying them. Certainly helps the feds in finding candidates for scapegoating.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: awareness10

...or, if you limit the number of outlets where these type of items can be purchased, it makes it much easier for the NSA to collect their lists of who's buying them. Certainly helps the feds in finding candidates for scapegoating.

Yes that too, and for what purpose, we can only guess. People who spy on people only come across as paranoid skitz types that fear majorities, i mean, why else would they do it? Craziness...

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 06:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

You believe everything you see in movies don't you.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 06:23 AM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Sure i guess but one has to ask why do that? Are they just Dnks who want to be arseholes for no reason other than to prove they're just dicks? Who does that? Other than Psychopathic numbnuts. I mean come one. There is no point ordinary humans don't do that #e.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: awareness10

Um... No... Where did you get that idea? Just because I talk about a movie doesn't mean I believe it. Don't be stupid.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Even as a kid, I didn't get that show. I mean...they couldn't and wouldn't touch a gun because that would "violate their probation" but they had no problem tying sticks of dynamite to arrows and shooting them at people and stuff willy-nilly. I'd think that using high explosives in an illegal manner, exploding cars and houses, would violate their probation too

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   

I think the majority of you are younger than me but does anyone remember the popularity of these in the 60s and 70s among the hippies I had one.

Sure...Iron (Maltese) Cross. They were weirdly co-opted from Bikers in that era. But, they are not Nazi regalia per se. I have a rack of medals from a family friend whose husband had earned them. Some are WWI, Nazi era ones have a swastika on them. Interesting that you should bring that up, as I don't regard that those medals as a manifestation of evil. Merely as honours awarded to a soldier. Though I don't wear them, or use them as a symbol of anything. That would be the difference in this debate.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

Sure...Iron (Maltese) Cross. They were weirdly co-opted from Bikers in that era. But, they are not Nazi regalia per se. I have a rack of medals from a family friend whose husband had earned them. Some are WWI, Nazi era ones have a swastika on them. Interesting that you should bring that up, as I don't regard that those medals as a manifestation of evil. Merely as honours awarded to a soldier. Though I don't wear them, or use them as a symbol of anything. That would be the difference in this debate.

I wonder how or why wearing an old medal would be different according to you. What would you expect to happen if you put on your old medals you have collected and someone for some reason would be offended. I guess up there they can have you taken away and get a good talkin to under a hot light. Blow smoke in your face from big cigars but then they probably dont smoke many cigars up there. They will ridicule you to get you to break with bottled water and snap cell phone pics of you as the beads of sweat roll down your forehead and drip into your eyes stinging them.

I could see it now someone finds an old medal in a box in an attic, say some eccentric old lady, and a little brat on a bicycle rolls up saying “i shall report you, those medals are prohibited” and then he whips out his cell phone and calls the cops. Old lady waddles down the road saying…”dear me, what have i done” sirens blaring.

For me personally i never understood the emotions behind designs and insignias. Maybe it’s me, am i crazy? Like some diabolical graphic designers got together and said “lets create a design that will drive humans crazy”hmmm, well, lets start with red and then add some black put some hard angles in it…ewww, yeah, thats it look at it…man theyre gonna **** their pants when they see this”.

Adding a little levity there, although there is some truth to that in that these things can be totally innocent.

That said, my earlier post was a short mash up of two Springsteen songs - Cadillac Ranch and Racing in the streets. First thought that came to me for some reason.

And seriously, i dont remember them bootlegging in the series. As a matter of fact i cant remember them doing anything illegal. Being so young at the time i may have missed it.

Detective Starskys car was much nicer though. It was street legal too.

edit on 29-6-2015 by Harvin because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join