It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth's sixth mass extinction has begun, study confirms

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese

originally posted by: Jonjonj

Clue 1: We have all the available evidence from the fossil records to show previous mass extinctions.

True.

Clue 2: We have all the available evidence from present biology and natural sciences to show we are in a mass extinction...erm...hold on, aren't we discovering many hundreds of species a year? Aren't the oceans considered to be an undiscovered country?
So our perspective is flawed, we have no idea about our own reality, how can we come to conclusions without all the evidence?

You may have difficulties holding all of these in mind, but rest assured scientists are considering much more at the same time, and see no errors in their calculations.

I can show how you are in err rather easily.

There are 1000 species. 100 are cataloged on land out of the 500, and 50 are cataloged in the ocean out of the remaining 500.

In this situation, losing 3 or 4 of the known a year instead of 1 every decade would be an increase. This would happen independently of us going into the ocean and cataloging new species. See? They aren't mutually exclusive as you seem to want to make it out to be.

These are the types of comments that scare the crap out of me. First off, scientists generally specialize in one field of study. This can sometimes lead to a narrow minded view of the world. They are not perfect, just like every other human they make mistakes, they lie, they have ego's and funding to keep up, etc...

On an almost daily basis old science is being proven wrong by new science. We are always learning new things and better understanding our Universe. That is the great thing about science, it always keeps us asking questions. The problem with science occurs when it becomes intertwined with politics.

Finally, the way you "showed" how he was in "err" rather "easily", was arrogant and utterly false. The reality is that while the extinction of any species is very sad, we really don't know how many actually go extinct every year. We really really don't know how many are going extinct specifically because of humans. It is pure speculation made up almost entirely of scientists guessing on how many species, which we haven't discovered yet, are now dead because of us. The irony of believing in main stream science that says we are losing 100 or so species a day because of humans, while you ridicule someone who understands that we really don't know much about our environment, is incredible to me.

The more we learn about our universe, the more we understand that we really don't know anything.

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision" - Bertrand Russell

"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool." - Shakespeare

edit on 19-6-2015 by c0gN1t1v3D1ss0nanC3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: DaRAGE

originally posted by: pl3bscheese

We're also the only species to be on all continents.

BS. Where ever humans go, cats and dogs come along with us.

You forgot cockroaches. Where humans go...

thanks for the much needed laugh.

edit on 19-6-2015 by ausername because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: vethumanbeing

Sorry but I refuse to let an entity that has, by its very absence, refused to help me, take control of MY life.

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Boomorangatangarang

There may be 40 billion people or so scattered throughout the solar system.

In solar system people can live only on Earth. We need this exact gravity or very close to it. Terraforming and making artificial gravity en masse is beyond our capability. So, think how you can live with 40 billion on Earth. In my opinion it seems, that we gonna stabilize around 10 billion.

"Scattered" on Moon, Mars and Venus may be just few thousands people, don't kid yourself. And the cost of living there will be hundred times more expensive energetically and still less comfortable.

link   
a reply to: c0gN1t1v3D1ss0nanC3

That was much more eloquent than I put it, thanks.

link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

Our NATURAL skin does not protect us from the natural elements we choose to exist in - other species NATURAL skin protects them from the natural elements that those species exist in. Killer whales do not suffer from hypothermia, lizards do not get sunburned etc etc

We create clothing to suit those environments so we survive and stay protected.

Birds don't need denim jackets

We didn't either in our past, but we are on a course of self created evolution. Sublimecraft, there are much more subtle aspects to being from a planet than sun burn, which other animals can get too.

We share like DNA with all living creatures on this planet including grass. The closer a life form is to us the more like DNA... This speaks volumes of distant branches of life going back a very long time to do this.

Our bodies are also balanced to earth, the level of O2 we need, metals in our system to keep us healthy, like iron instead of lead, what we can eat etc are the way they are because to that is what earth has to provide life that evolves here. I really think that life would not do very well on another planet just because of how exact that life tends to be on their starting planet. Most likely any other planet that can sustain life too would be poison to us in many ways, and vice a versa with the life there to our planet.

edit on 19-6-2015 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

Maybe God isn't what you think it is. God isn't some guy sitting in a cloud judging everyone, what if God is the very essence of existence itself?

I wish people could let go of the mainstream view of what God is or should be.

This is off-topic though.

edit on 6/19/2015 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   

So sad you took my numbers as a literal absolute instead of a general assessment... the same general assessments scientists have to come up with (thought with much more to figure at hand, of course) when dealing with complexities. So sad you made a bunch of assumptions about my stance as well. I guess you prefer to remain scared and fearful instead of facing the truth.

Seriously though, the error is all yours, and you're still continuing to prove my point the same as JJJ did. You're speaking in "numbers" and I'm speaking in "rates". You do see the difference, no? We don't have to be certain of the numbers. We can extrapolate when looking at a given area over time, comparing rate over time. This is not easy to understand? You have troubles? Awww... so sad.

edit on 19-6-2015 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Yes it is off topic, and not because I don't want to discuss the idea. It is what it is my friend. The idea of god as an entity is anathema to me.
As a fundamental idea, that is something else, call me agnostic.

I have enjoyed very much this debate in here, and all the things that posters have said. Thanks

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

I didn't assume anything. I wasn't referring to your numbers. Do you even remember what you said? You hypothetically stated 1000 species existed. 100 cataloged on land out of the supposedly 500, and 50 cataloged in the ocean of the remaining 500.

I was stating that scientific estimates are close to 100 species going extinct every day.

How could you possibly misconstrue something to that extent?

Wow...
edit on 19-6-2015 by c0gN1t1v3D1ss0nanC3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   

As I have said many times, humans are the only species that does not quite fit into the "natural to planet earth" environment.

For instance, we create artificial structures to protect us from the planets natural climate and can get sunburned in an instant and die within a few minutes in cold temperatures - unless we cloth ourselves accordingly - something no other species needs to do.

We did not come from this planet - we were introduced to it - and we are doing a mighty job of destroying it.

Now, I must run, I've got to get to the mall because the TV told me there is a sale on - 50% off - bargain.

While we normally agree on most points, I have to argue this one.

Our species evolved to survive in a particular climate but we decided to leave that climate. We were smart enough to adapt to new climates with clothing, shelter, and fire.

Just because we have a habit of living in places that would kill us without proper protection, doesn't mean we aren't from this planet.

ETA: Aww crap, I didn't pay attention to how many pages this thread has already gone and the fact that it has already devolved into the typical religion vs science nonsense.

edit on 6/19/2015 by Answer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   

You would care for me to baby step you through each assumption? Do all your homework for you?

No no. You are far too gone to be baby stepping. I leave you to your "wow".

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Alcyone, Alcyone, I know you're reading this site. What are you waiting for? Why must you keep hiding when "you know" most of the world want you to appear. WHY?

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
a reply to: Jonjonj

Maybe God isn't what you think it is. God isn't some guy sitting in a cloud judging everyone, what if God is the very essence of existence itself?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Do you really want to know?

Trust me, you don't.

Fine lines between faith, fantasy and reality. The truth can be both enlightening, and devastating...

imo

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Think this one has been a little enhanced....

My way of looking at cosmic cycles, the real ones, is they are lions or lambs depending on our consciousness. If it looks bad, help others out. That lightens the gravity. And it takes gravity to make it stick.
edit on 19-6-2015 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

As I have said many times, humans are the only species that does not quite fit into the "natural to planet earth" environment.

For instance, we create artificial structures to protect us from the planets natural climate and can get sunburned in an instant and die within a few minutes in cold temperatures - unless we cloth ourselves accordingly - something no other species needs to do.

Prometheus and Epimetheus, two Titans, were spared imprisonment in Tartarus after the Titanomachy, the War between the Titans and the Olympians, because they had not fought alongside the other Titans. Instead, they were given the task of creating man. Prometheus shaped man out of mud, and Athena breathed life into his clay figure.

Prometheus assigned Epimetheus with the task of giving the creatures of the earth their various qualities, such as swiftness, cunning, strength, fur, wings. Unfortunately, by the time he got to man, Epimetheus had given all the good qualities out and there were none left for man. So Prometheus decided to make man stand upright just like the gods did and to give them fire.
Creation of Man by Prometheus

It should be clear that we are made up of the elements of this planet, and the health of the planet is the health of humanity.
edit on 19-6-2015 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 09:13 PM
link   
originally posted by: Jonjonj
a reply to: veteranhumanbeing

Jonjonj: Sorry but I refuse to let an entity that has, by its very absence, refused to help me, take control of MY life.

It has however, its very absence tells its story; and you are bound to its oblique existence. You do not have to let it take control of your life as you are describing it.
edit on 19-6-2015 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 09:20 PM
link   

We did not come from this planet - we were introduced to it - and we are doing a mighty job of destroying it.

Now, I must run, I've got to get to the mall because the TV told me there is a sale on - 50% off - bargain.

Sure, it seems that way if you look at a modern snapshot - we artificially modify our environment, while no other species does. But the fact is that *most* species modify their environments in some way as an evolutionary advantage - problem is, we're modifying to such an extent as to be evolutionary disadvantageous, and will eventually probably prove highly detrimental to the human species, unless we're smart enough to scale it back. Also, chances are that, had we not evolved to be able to modify our environment to such an extreme, some other species would have done so. The point being, we're not quite as special as it may seem, we just take it to an overindulgent (read ignorant) extreme...

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 09:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

We are currently witnessing the start of a mass extinction event the likes of which have not been seen on Earth for at least 65 million years. This is the alarming finding of a new study published in the journal Science Advances.

I've had a nagging feeling the last couple of years that something big was coming, something that couldn't be avoided. Maybe this is what I, and many others, have been sensing?

This latest research tells us what we already knew. Humans have in the space of a few centuries swung a wrecking ball through the Earth’s biosphere. Liquidating biodiversity to produce products and services has an end point. Science is starting to sketch out what that end point could look like but it cannot tell us why to stop before we reach it.

If this is true then we only have ourselves to blame. We are more focused on self-gain and profit than making life better for the generations that come after us. Greed is the culprit, we are destroying Mother Earth in order to benefit ourselves in the short term. You can't take money with you when you die.

More at the link HERE.

At least you get it. However, to say that we didn't try would be false. You need to weigh in all accounts in the situation. Think about all the weapons being used against us.

Psychological manipulation through mainstream media, music, even our foods have things that can mess with the brain, especially candy at an early age. Then all the video games that grabs the minds of the youth so they would lose sense of reality. The laws that are preventing us from walking the full right path. Ie , growing our own foods (laws making it illegal lately), the mercury in our vaccines. The list goes on and on, and if you raise awareness on all of this, you are then labaled a terrorist, extremist etc. So fear plays another factor here. In fact its the main one (the second is lazyness).

Then there is stories like this.

Woman Fights for Soverignty Afte rJudge Declares Living Off Grid Illegal

It tells you how deep things really are. Bottom line is, we live in a society who's rulers literally worships the devil. When you get down to the pit of it all. That is what you will ultimately find. And because said rulers worship this, you can only imagine what is really going on behind the scenes and what is really planned for us all.

But I agree with you, especially on the part that we humanity only have ourselves to blame. We allowed morality to decay in exchange for fun and pleasure and seeking high end goals that doesn't really exist. Thus forgetting what life is all about. A race that looses touch with reality, existence and it's surroundings is destined to fall. Even more so if they become oblivious to said wrecking ball heading their way.

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: vethumanbeing

I apologise but I will also absolutely reject any words that make no sense to me.

Its very absence tells its story. So the story is ...hold on...absence is the ...wut?
Oblique existence means nothing to me. ...
You do not have to let it take control of your life as you are describing it...this makes absolutely no sense to me.

Can you help me out with this?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join