It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why all the focus on gay marriage?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

But being 'Gay' isn't a disorder??? Seriously?

The DSM prior to the 1973 edition did list homosexuality as a mental illness. I heard a radio program about the change back around 2000.

The American Psychiatric Association (APA) removed homosexuality from its official Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) in 1973. This decision occurred in the context of momentous cultural changes brought on by the social protest movements of the 1950s to the 1970s: beginning with the African-American civil rights movement, then evolving on to the women's and gay rights movements.
. . .
Clellan Ford and Frank Beach's Patterns of Sexual Behavior (1951), relying on data from the Human Relations Area Files, found homosexuality to be common across cultures and to exist in almost all nonhuman species. Their work supported the notion that homosexuality was both natural and widespread.

Evelyn Hooker Psychologist Evelyn Hooker's groundbreaking study compared the projective test results from 30 nonpatient homosexual men with those of 30 nonpatient heterosexual men. The study found that experienced psychologists, unaware of whose test results they were interpreting, could not distinguish between the two groups. This study was a serious challenge to the view that homosexuality was always associated with psychopathology.

Homosexuality had been officially classified as a mental disorder in the APA's first Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-1) in 1952. There it was designated as a "sociopathic personality disturbance." Viewing homosexuality as a mental illness was not controversial at the time as it coincided with prevailing societal attitudes. DSM-II, published in 1968, listed homosexuality as a sexual deviation, but sexual deviations were no longer categorized as a sociopathic personality disturbance.
LGBT Mental Health

edit on 18-6-2015 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

wait... Heterosexuality is a Mental Illness?

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP
It is a guaranteed cause for division by imposing morality through law.

What morality? People can disagree with it all they want. No one has to think it's "right". They don't have to be involved or think it's morally correct. Morality CANNOT be legislated, simply because we all have our own minds and opinions. We each have our own morality.

An example of legislating morality would be to say that everyone has to go to church.

Truth is, laws against marriage equality violate MY morals.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: TinfoilTP

The legalities of homosexuality currently in Russia are irrelevant to your point since Russia currently isn't Communist.

Can I enter your rainbows and unicorns universe where Putin was never head of the KGB or a member of the Communist Party?

It doesn't matter what connections Putin has to the KGB or ex-Communist party members, the simple fact remains that Russia isn't currently Communist. And that is something you can't argue around no matter how much you want to paint gay marriage as a Communist plot (that is seriously lol worthy).

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Darth_Prime
a reply to: beezzer

But there should never have been a "Law" or "Ruling" in place that made same-Sex marriage illegal in the first place, Marriage between consenting adults...

This movement is not to force churches to marry people, or forcing people to even "agree" but to get equal protections and equal treatment, after Marriage there are still many steps.. work place discrimination, adoptions, equal protections

Look how many states are passing laws that make it legal to discriminate... this is the america people fight for?

I don't know what you want me to say here.

I can't change everyone's mind on this issue. I can't go into people's heads and flip a switch that'll make them tolerant of gay marriage.

This is a social mindset centuries in the making. To expect total acceptance overnight is unrealistic.

Like the kids say with their iTwitters and Facebloggings, "haters gonna hate".

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

Laws that impose morality will never be fully accepted by society, this causes divisions.

There is no threat of a law that attempts to impose morality. Any law would be about LEGAL matters, not moral ones. No one is suggesting legislating morality.

Hahaha.

Three words for you.

legalized gay marriage.

It is a guaranteed cause for division by imposing morality through law.

The only morality imposed by law in this discussion comes from the religious right preventing gays from marrying. The Supreme Court doesn't write laws. When they rule in favor of gay marriage, it will overturn any laws preventing gays from marrying. No new laws will hit the books though.

It would help if you understood how your own government worked before you started talking.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

I think everyone should have an equal right to be miserable!

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   

I know.. but all this hateful propaganda towards the GLBTQ community isn't helping..

but it's not up to everyone who can't agree on same-Marriage, if we are all protected and granted the same rights as Humans, we shouldn't get disqualified because we are GLBTQ

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   

The legalities of homosexuality currently in Russia are irrelevant to your point since Russia currently isn't Communist.

Can I enter your rainbows and unicorns universe where Putin was never head of the KGB or a member of the Communist Party?

It doesn't matter what connections Putin has to the KGB or ex-Communist party members, the simple fact remains that Russia isn't currently Communist. And that is something you can't argue around no matter how much you want to paint gay marriage as a Communist plot (that is seriously lol worthy).

It is just a convenient item for them to push that causes division. There are many of them, such as outsourcing jobs, racial tensions, the current push against the police forces nationwide, all the propaganda out there crying about a 1%, environmental issues such as carbon taxation which definitely passes down a burden on the worker class while the ruling class benefits. As new division causing issues arise in society they will be taken up and promoted if not totally manufactured by communist forces.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   

I know.. but all this hateful propaganda towards the GLBTQ community isn't helping..

but it's not up to everyone who can't agree on same-Marriage, if we are all protected and granted the same rights as Humans, we shouldn't get disqualified because we are GLBTQ

Hateful propoganda?

Really???

Hadn't noticed.

/sarc

Everyone's got hateful propoganda.

Everyone, regardless of their color, religion, gender, sexual identity, sexual preference, political ideology, car size, green policies, climate change advocacy, tax policies gets hateful propoganda.

Getting everyone to obey the law is one thing.

Getting everyone to agree to the law is impossible.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   

When christianity is attacked and insulted on ATS, will you stand up against the hateful propoganda?

When conservative ideals are attacked and insulted on ATS, will you stand up against the hateful propoganda?

Everyone deals with it.

It is nothing new or unique.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
Homosexuality has been a big no-no in the church for centuries. It's not just a religious thing, it's a cultural thing. It takes time.

We live in a microwave society where cultural norms have to be changed now. Right now.

Right this very instant!

That took too long. Change faster!

Exactly my opinion.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   

I know..

There are still people who don't "Believe"in Interracial Marriage, i don't believe we can get everyone to agree with it, but again this is not to force people into anything, just to be recognized and protected

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Look man, the division is coming from the religious right. You can try to blame it on Progressives or Communists all you want, but you are wrong. This wouldn't be an issue if it weren't for the religious right actively passing laws to prevent gays from getting married. If the religious right were to just let people be without forcing their religious morality on them (like how this country is SUPPOSED to work), there wouldn't BE any division.

So go ahead and bitch and whine about the progressives and communists, but at the end of the day your cognitive dissonance is preventing you from seeing that YOU are part of the problem. Not the solution.

Once the Supreme Court rules in favor of gay marriage, eventually everyone will move on and we'll forget this was even an issue. Of course that won't happen for a generation or two, but hey nothing changes overnight.
edit on 18-6-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   

I know..

There are still people who don't "Believe"in Interracial Marriage, i don't believe we can get everyone to agree with it, but again this is not to force people into anything, just to be recognized and protected

My folks are an "interacial couple". And frankly, they could give a sh!t if they are recognised or not. They've been married for too long to give a damn what people think. Fortunately, we grew up on military bases and in Europe so we didn't have to deal with alot of the biases and bigotry.

That's why I frankly could give a damn about being special or different. I'm just me. An individual. No-one on earth is exactly like me. I am singular. I am unique. I am a prancy effing pony, a fluffy god-damned bunny and I could give a sh!t what people think.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Religion is a belief, a choice.. you can decide to believe in it or not, to follow it or not and how much and how little.. of course i would defends everyone's right to believe in what they want but when it starts attacking me i will defend myself and my community, and i will point out bigotry.. but not everyone who believes in Religion is like and that i try not to group it all into one...

as for Conservative Ideals, i have my own thoughts that are not defined by "Left" "Right" "Conservative" or "Democrat".. they spend a large amount of their campaign attacking the GLBTQ community.. again, i'm willing to defends anyone's right to belief, but i also will defend myself and my community

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   

But they had the right to get married, what if they crossed state lines and their Marriage was no longer recognized?

it's not about being special by being same-sex marriage, or about "forcing" people.. it's about getting the same rights as everyone else.. i don't know how else i can explain this

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   

eventually everyone will move on and we'll forget this was even an issue. Of course that won't happen for a generation or two, but hey nothing changes overnight.

That is a description of the decline of a society.

When we are all in favor of human sacrifice and cannibalism because we got rid of all the laws that protect morality will you be happy?
In reality people who relish this stuff see it as one step towards revolution. Little do they know they will be the first to be purged by the commies if it happens.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   

But they had the right to get married, what if they crossed state lines and their Marriage was no longer recognized?

it's not about being special by being same-sex marriage, or about "forcing" people.. it's about getting the same rights as everyone else.. i don't know how else i can explain this

Neither do I.

You'll get your equal rights. That is good.

Not everyone will like it.

That, you're going to have to get over.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Can you explain the last sentence to me please? I´m dumb

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join