It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people lie about aliens? An in-depth look at why we can discredit near all stories

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: admirethedistance

originally posted by: Scdfa
What's more important, I'm still waiting for you to back up your claim that nearly all claims of alien contact are a lie.

A claim like that can't be proven. Just like you can't prove that a single claim of alien contact is true.

The Pascagoula incident is enough proof, also by itself the abduction during the International Rally Championship in Argentina, in 1978. Oh, I forgot, you're still waiting a piece of the ship or alien tissue. My bad. Well, while you wait, there are highly qualified guys working on some secret lab over the subject. Maybe if you're polite enough, they'll share something with you.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: SuspiciousTom
I never claimed "Nearly all are a lie" I claimed we can discredit stories. And that is a fact, if you tell me a story and have no substantial evidence I can essentially disregard it, because it is just that, a story.

What is 'substantial evidence' for you? I know of several cases that have substantial evidence to be considered true. In any case, that you can apply some 'alternative' explanation not necessary means it's the correct one. And I'm here just referring to cases that, for instance, just involves a single victim without aditional witnesses or corroborating evidence (like radar echoes, physical disturbances, etc).

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

Blaine you are one of the most genuine members I know. truth in your post and for sure I 100% resonate that truth. Good to see you posting again without expectation of anything... Agree, disagree, you just speak your mind and walk your talk, always have.

Love and Hugs

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Scdfa

I challenge him to provide evidence that even one percent of alien contact accounts are lies.

Great, another challenge to differing opinions.

OK since you bring up the challenge, how about providing the details or number of claims of alien contact so readers or yourself can see how many is 1 percent,

Now is your challenge about advertised claims of alien contact or simply alien contact, meaning how can 1 percent or even 100 percent of alien contact stories be known by anyone if some are kept to themselves and others are posted on the net or in some book?

Let's see the evidence for that.

Yes lets see the evidence of how many claims of alien contact there are, (just advertised claims as claims kept to themselves are, well, kept to themselves and unknown by the public and only known by those that have kept their experiences to themselves)

So give the numbers so 1 percent can be worked out so if anyone chooses to accept your childish challenge they at least have a starting point using the details you supply so you cant turn around and later say Oh thats not one percent.

Now since you like to call others foolish as I do, lets go over this.....

I simply pointed out the fact that the term UFO was invented by the Air Force in 1953. No one used the term before that. It is a simple statement of fact,

Is it a fact that no one used that term?

well to quote you

Let's see the evidence for that.

Surely someone used that term before it was documented by the USAF,

Are you saying that out of how ever many people were alive before 1953 no one ever combined those words to describe something unknown and flying in their opinion,

If so, and you would want argue that you know what billions have said or haven't said before 1953 I really think it is you who is foolish about this fact of yours.

How many times are you tell us you have had alien contact but wont go into details as you have nothing to prove to people like us?

I have had direct contact with aliens, starting in 1966.
I'm not lying, and I'm certainly not going to any lengths to prove it to people like you.

People like you?

Yes I guess people with questions are a pain to deal with when you haven't perfected your technique yet.

I guess people with direct questions pertaining to what little info of your own experience you give are just not polite enough,

I guess its just 'people like you' as you say are just mean and don't really want to know answers to their question,

There is no way it could be the ones making such claims know that they cant keep it together once they start posting too much info,

Is that why you fail to answer some questions about your experience, because it might be found to be something terrestrial but still strange and alien to whats known and accepted or God forbid you just lying?

Hey,

You like calling others stupid indirectly, so I am wondering are you really that smart and know you cant open up because you might get caught in a lie or really that damaged that another explanation might shatter your created reality.

Posters genuinely want to know about your experiences, but the way you go about responding makes it very hard to believe you are sincere, You make it sound as you believe in yourself or know what you experienced but like I said a while back to you, knowledge can be passed on, you just want others believe and not know like you say you know.

But I guess asking such direct questions are rude in your opinion.

Sorry for being rude and interfering with your views and facts.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: JackHill

originally posted by: Scdfa
What's more important, I'm still waiting for you to back up your claim that nearly all claims of alien contact are a lie.

A claim like that can't be proven. Just like you can't prove that a single claim of alien contact is true.

The Pascagoula incident is enough proof,

Again:

"Parker's corroboration of the tale was likely due to suggestibility since he told police he had "passed out at the beginning of the incident and failed to regain consciousness until it was over"

Tale corroborated by a sleeping witness.

You have a low standard for proof.

Since the tread title uses the word "discredit," I will point out that the above quote alone is more than enough to discredit a lot of the story.

Harte

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Before I post this I would like to take a brief look backwards and take a moment to hearken to the words of member tridentblue.

That post really opened my mind to that fact that people can and do change, and that it is very important that we all hold that space open for one another and not forget that it is possible to learn from our past and make corrections.

What I want to post is simple: I have lied in the past about alien encounters and UFOs.

And I know for a fact that I am representative of way more than 1% of the people that make such # up.

You know what they say, right? "It takes one to know one", or maybe, "It takes one to catch one".

I'll leave it at that for the moment. If anyone has any questions? Feel free to ask me anything you'd like about it.

edit on 17-6-2015 by Bybyots because: . : .

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Bybyots

cool - but then i am a big fan of william moore

more context would be good - but for starters:

what motivated you?

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: aynock

what motivated you?

Thanks for asking.

Well, right along with my first "paranormal" experiences, especially the ones related to "aliens", was born this innate knowledge that I was one half of a pair: I knew that there was a place for my stories out there, that there would be people hungry to hear them.

Even when I had my first really powerful experience that involved an "encounter", there was this weird objective part of myself that knew it had to wake members of the family up and draw them in emotionally so that they could be counted on for corroboration later on. I knew that I was doing this, but felt compelled to do it anyway. I like to think that it was that strange self-awareness that made it easy to stop doing that sort of thing before it got out of hand.

edit on 17-6-2015 by Bybyots because: . : .

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Bybyots

I like to think that it was that strange self-awareness that made it easy to stop doing that sort of thing before it got out of hand.

useful stuff that self-awareness

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I think a better question would be to ask why certain people, namely policemen and pilots, would risk their career, reputation and pretty much everything of import to them, to convince people they saw a UFO and/or alien. They have ZERO to gain and EVERYTHING to lose, yet many have come forward. It doesn't matter if 99.9999999% of stories are spurious, it only takes one to be true....

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 02:09 AM
link   
I had a "paranormal" experience when I was much younger. I was in bed though. Short story, the heavy blanket on my bed slowly pulled down from my chest onto the floor. That's it. The only weird thing that ever happened to me. I explain this, to myself, as being half asleep and in some sort of waking dream state.

My point, some of the abductees might be telling the truth as they see it. Perhaps in some sort of dream state where they mix reality with dreams.

I did read an entertaining thread here on ATS though, the guy who said he was "chosen" by aliens to fly around in ships when he was in the military. I think he's lying. Stuff like that is perhaps motivated because they lead boring lives, wanting attention etc. It might be fun for some people.

I think some people do actually see weird things in the sky. With these cases I lean more towards advanced gov technology. Perhaps there are strange light phenomenon we don't yet understand, but as far as solid metallic objects most are probably unknown gov tech. There's probably one or two cases that leave me scratching my head. I have yet to come across something that convinces me aliens are visiting earth. I'd love for that to happen. I'd be a little scared but blown away at the same time. I think, maybe, some people really want the world to be more interesting than it is. I can understand that desire.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 02:29 AM
link   
a reply to: InhaleExhale

Surely someone used that term before it was documented by the USAF,

Are you saying that out of how ever many people were alive before 1953 no one ever combined those words to describe something unknown and flying in their opinion,

If so, and you would want argue that you know what billions have said or haven't said before 1953 I really think it is you who is foolish about this fact of yours.

It wasn't documented by the Air Force, it was created by the Air Force, in 1953.
You should pick an argument you can win.

There is no evidence that anyone anywhere used the term UFO before that. That's what I'm saying, alright.

Show me I'm wrong.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 02:34 AM
link   
a reply to: InhaleExhale

Is that why you fail to answer some questions about your experience, because it might be found to be something terrestrial but still strange and alien to whats known and accepted or God forbid you just lying?

But I guess asking such direct questions are rude in your opinion.

Are you calling me a liar? And in the same breath asking me to recount my experiences in depth to your satisfaction?

Yep, that's rude.

edit on 18-6-2015 by Scdfa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Technically, the term wasn't created by the Air Force. The first published use of 'UFO' was in the 1953 book Flying Saucers From Outer Space (a follow-up to his 1950 book The Flying Saucers Are Real), which was written by Donald E. Keyhoe, and based in large part on interviews and reports stemming from the Air Force, but it was not endorsed by, or officially affiliated with the Air Force; It was Keyhoe's personal work.

So there. I've shown that you're wrong.

edit on 6/18/2015 by admirethedistance because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 02:51 AM
link   
a reply to: JeanPaul

It's hard to say that a majority of sightings are unknown government tech when UFOs have been sighted long before man could fly. UFOs have been seen for hundreds of years but it wasn't really until the 19th century that newspapers began reporting them. Now just imagine if they had the internet at the time! Back in the 19th century there wasn't really a way to communicate with large groups of people across the world so one can't say that people were influenced by what others said. Plus I doubt that newspapers paid much money to people for their stories back then, although I honestly have no idea if they did.

I am of the belief that a majority of "abduction" cases are just psychiatric problems, but I also see the logic of why an advanced race would abduct us. We experiment on lesser beings ourselves so it does make sense. However, we tend not to release those beings afterwards!

The thing that annoys me is that if you ask anyone "do you think there are things in our universe that we don't know about yet" they would all say yes, but when you ask them about individual things like aliens, UFOs, parallel universes, wormholes, they are less likely to agree.

They say that for every grain of sand on earth there is a star in the universe. We know that no two grains of sand will be the same, but I guarantee there will be countless ones that are very similar. The same will be true for Earth-like planets. Sure, the light-speed barrier might be an issue, assuming advanced races are using our tech (which is, at best, 100 years old), but that seems highly unlikely. Space itself is expending faster than light, so saying something isn't possibly just because WE can't figure it out yet is highly arrogant.

If you asked someone in 1915 that one day humans will have handheld devices that they can watch TV on and get directions to any location in the world they would have thought you insane! And yet, here we are. 100 years from know the tech will be exponentially more sophisticated thanks to Moore's law, so imagine 1,000 years from now. Then consider a civilization (probably many) that had a 1 million year head start on us.

We laugh at how cavemen lived, so I'm sure aliens laugh at how we live now, and who could blame them :p
edit on th02amThu, 18 Jun 2015 02:52:40 -050030America/Chicago18 by Sharted because: (no reason given)

edit on th02amThu, 18 Jun 2015 02:53:39 -050030America/Chicago18 by Sharted because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 02:52 AM
link   
a reply to: JeanPaul

I did read an entertaining thread here on ATS though, the guy who said he was "chosen" by aliens to fly around in ships when he was in the military. I think he's lying. Stuff like that is perhaps motivated because they lead boring lives, wanting attention etc. It might be fun for some people.

Yes, everybody's lying.
The hundreds and hundreds of military personnel who have come forward with first hand eyewitness testimony of close encounters are all lying.

Because their lives as test pilots and astronauts are so boring and they want attention.

Go back to sleep. And pull up the covers.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 02:54 AM
link   

You're like a broken record. Yes, many people, from many backgrounds have said many things. Don't you find it at all suspicious that not a single one of them has been able to come away with anything other than a story, though?

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Technically, the term wasn't created by the Air Force. The first published use of 'UFO' was in the 1953 book Flying Saucers From Outer Space (a follow-up to his 1950 book The Flying Saucers Are Real), which was written by Donald E. Keyhoe, and based in large part on interviews and reports stemming from the Air Force, but it was not endorsed by, or officially affiliated with the Air Force; It was Keyhoe's personal work.

So there. I've shown that you're wrong.

You are wrong.

The book included writing by Albert M. Chop, the Air Force's press secretary in the Pentagon.

Nice try, no cigar.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 03:04 AM
link   
a reply to: admirethedistance

Don't you find it at all suspicious that not a single one of them has been able to come away with anything other than a story, though?

No.

Do you think the aliens are stupid?

Or do you think the faction of our military in possession of UFO materials is stupid?

I don't think any of them are stupid.

It's no wonder you avatar has both its eyes closed.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Then surely you can provide an excerpt showing that....

Edit: Nevermind. I'm done wasting my time arguing with you. You're clearly too dead-set in your beliefs to listen to anyone anyway. You're hopeless. Have fun in la-la land.
edit on 6/18/2015 by admirethedistance because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join