It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Incredible, Ridiculous Cost of Food. And How They're Getting Away With It.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+36 more 
posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   
There are some aspects of this NWO thing that are a bit more palatable than others. The price of food is not one of them.

We need food to live. And obviously, we need healthy food to live well.

I left the grocery store today so incensed, so pissed off that I am living through a time in world history where I am enslaved to a bunch of psychopaths and that their mandates have begun to affect my life in very serious ways.

Food prices remained stable for a long time in our modern history. You could feed a family of 5 in the 70's and 80's for $100 a week and eat pretty well. In the 90's and early 2000's you could still swing 21 square meals a week for about $150 if you planned well.

What are you spending on groceries now? It's insane! I have friends who tell me their grocery bills are upwards of $300 a week for a family of five. I have friends telling me that they're shopping the junk food aisles because they can stretch their grocery dollars farther.

And let's face it: Fast food is still the cheapest meal around and there are plenty of people patronizing these places on a regular basis as a way to feed their families.

Why the steep rise in food prices?

Sure, you can blame the emergence of the middle class the world over, and you can blame the droughts and climate change. But the truth of the matter is that the biggest increase comes from BIG FOOD buying up corporations through acquisitions. No surprise there, huh? Those trans-national corporations continue to roll over our way of life in huge ways every day of our lives.

Perhaps the largest price pressure stemming from the processors and packagers (the intermediaries) in our food system is consolidation; that is, mergers and acquisitions. As we reported previously, Big Food’s consolidation often indirectly spells higher food prices as a result of a lack of competition in the marketplace. It’s predicted that the consolidation process will increase food prices, particularly in the meat processing and packaging industry; USA Today reported earlier this month that beef and veal prices are expected to rise 6% in the next few months, and around 3.5% this year overall.

Lack of competition in the middle sectors of food production is the real culprit.

“It’s bad anytime you have competitors going away,” Sheehan told CNBC. “There will be less incentive to lower prices in stores, and that can be harmful all around.”

This is food, folks! We need food to live.

I am newly amazed everyday that nobody seems to be incensed enough to express shock and outrage at the new atrocities that come our way everyday. It is not getting easier out there. It seems to get harder every single solitary day.

When are we going to just snap?

source: www.cheatsheet.com...

edit on 1-6-2015 by MRuss because: (no reason given)

+29 more 
posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Food stamps. 50 million people do not care what groceries cost because they are not paying the bill. So, of course, the food industry wants to soak up all those dollars.
Food stamps are enormously inflationary just as Government backed loans fuel the outrageous tuition inflation.

+15 more 
posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: sprtpilot

A lot of stores will save back older stock and put it on the shelves
on food stamp days.The sale prices seem to disappear about the
same time too.
50 million americans are on food stamps because they lost their jobs
to foreign workers.I think most people would rather have a decent
job and pay for their own food,then get food stamps.
I suppose after awhile they could get used to government hand outs
and give up looking for a job.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: MRuss

I went to the meat aisle last week cause I'm running ourt of meat in my freezer (usually buy a whole side of beef at a time from a local farmer) and ONE ribeye steak was $18! I about fell over...

You know, because of the California drought prices are going up. Because of all the EXCESSIVE rain through Texas, Colorado, Oklahoma, food crops are ruined. Prices will be going up.

We're in big trouble this next year or two (or more)!
edit on 1-6-2015 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: tinker9917

No you won't be... You'll just see far more imports from other countries.

If you want to see trouble... Look at the statistics for how much food the Western World throws out per year.
THAT is troubling.
edit on 1/6/2015 by Sovaka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Food prices have rose dramatically in the last few years. Small food chains could not compete. Several had to close in my area due to co-op situations. Previously the small chains would pool there resources and buy together at the co-op's. When the larger stores moved in they just could not compete. Stores that had been in this area for 20 or more years had no choice but to close. The larger stores took control of the local co-ops and that was that. As more and more animals die, food will get scarce. The fish are dieing , just recently a terrible number of antelopes have died and the recent bird flu has decimated a lot of chicken and turkey farms. Your best bet would to now learn how to container plant or learn to prepare and care for your own garden. I would also advise anyone and everyone to stock up on plant seeds, because this will be the next in line for outrageous pricing. There are many on ATS that can help with garden and canning questions. Let us hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: tinker9917
a reply to: MRuss

I went to the meat aisle last week cause I'm running ourt of meat in my freezer (usually but a whole side of beef at a time from a local farmer) and ONE ribeye steak was $18! I about fell over...

You know, because of the California drought prices are going up. Because of all the EXCESSIVE rain through Texas, Colorado, Oklahoma, food crops are ruined. Prices will be going up.

We're in big trouble this next year or two (or more)!

What the hell is with the price of hamburger??? Steaks are always a bit crazy, but hamburger? WTF? In the 2000's we were feeding a family of 4 on about 600 a month. The kids are gone off on their own and between the wife and I we are now spending 400 a month. It's insane!

Cheers - Dave

+8 more 
posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 09:20 PM
link   
All in the big plan...

“Control oil and you control nations; control food and you control the people.”

Henry Kissinger

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: sprtpilot
Food stamps. 50 million people do not care what groceries cost because they are not paying the bill. So, of course, the food industry wants to soak up all those dollars.
Food stamps are enormously inflationary just as Government backed loans fuel the outrageous tuition inflation.

The same goes for health insurance. Since health insurance pays a predetermened amount for office calls then the doctor is going to charge that much reguardless.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Here is a large difference in the cost of groceries now vs. the '70s/'80s---back then most folks grew a portion of their own food. Even if it was just a small patch with tomatoes and salad stuff, the things that now run the grocery bills so high. Now, in some localities, attempting that in your front garden will get you into the legal system and sometimes into jail---for growing vegetables!
Today you have to bypass the grocery store if you want clean, healthy food at a reasonable price. Try Farmers' Markets or do some research about who grows food in your area. With a bit of looking you can find local sources that will cost you far less than the stuff in the grocery store. You can also grow your own food with a bit of effort. Just growing the salad stuff of which I typed above can be done in pots on the patio if you don't have dirt at hand. It's not rocket science.

However, let me hasten to say that I agree with you about BigAg and the Food Oligarchy. I've watched all the small chicken,egg and hog farms go out of business due to corporate buy-outs of local processing plants that resulted in their closure. Add to that the fact that the BigAg people write the legislation so it falls in their favor and to the detriment of the small farmer. There now exists a Black Market for food.
The last dairy farm in our county just closed down. This, despite the fact that we have a very large diary production company right here in our town. Most of the dairy farms in our area were converted to chicken production back in the '90s when BigAg came to town and promised the moon to all those who would mortgage their farms and build barns. Most of those barns are sitting empty or falling down now and the farmers are poorer for believing the hogwash dished out.
Beginning in the late '70s the ideas of economy of scale were introduced and we were told that bigger was better and cheaper. Now the costs of the food is dependent on the cost of the fuel required to get the food to the processors and then back to where it was actually grown. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.
The poultry farmers in middle American are seeing their brood come to death now due to the vertical integration encouraged and heavily subsidized by the USDA over the past two decades. There were warnings about this in the early '90s when the BigAg companies joined with the banksters to "convert" farmers to mass production. Biologists warned that such measures would end in disaster if tens of thousands of animals were caged to follow the "economy of scale" model. But banksters saw gold in those loans for huge poultry and swine production.
As of the past week or so we have been hearing of egg shortages and millions of chickens and turkeys being slaughtered and buried because they caught the flu. Now understand that there are no evidence showing that a human can contact bird flu from eating properly cooked poultry but those animals are being buried or burned despite the fact that they are not a danger to humans, only to other flocks. It is senseless waste caused by stupid regulations written by government bureaucrats who have little real knowledge of the farming process.

Bottom line to me is this: If I want to be sure I'm eating healthy, clean, affordable food, I can do it myself or trust my friends and neighbors down at the Farmers' Market. Unlike BigAg or the USDA, they are actually eating the food they are producing. By doing this you are encouraging local production and hitting BigAg and BigChem where it hurts them most---the profit line.

edit on 1-6-2015 by diggindirt because: clarity

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I can give cheap, easy, frugal recipes to anyone who needs them. Gardening tips, canning, chicken keeping. A little goes a really, really long way if you plan ahead a little and don't fall into the convenience trap.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sovaka

If you want to see trouble... Look at the statistics for how much food the Western World throws out per year.
THAT is troubling.

And when people are desperate, they'll learn to eat those leftovers and fresh fruits and vegetables before they go bad.
At my house, we throw out almost nothing.

The key is, "eat it, freeze it for later, or cook with it". No waste.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 09:28 PM
link   

But what I really wanted to get across tonight is that yes, the droughts and bad weather can certainly be a factor in rising prices. But you have to remember that food prices remained stable throughout much of modern history.

Weather aside, the real reason food prices are rising---the true and indisputable reason--is that BIG FOOD is buying up the intermediary companies----the middle men---and because of the lack of competition they can charge whatever they want.

I believe this is part of the big agenda of the NWO---to strike down the middle class---the heart and soul of America, and make conditions nearly impossible for most people to live.....

Why? So that we'll need them. So that we'll depend on big government for even the air that we breathe.

Our dependence on them is central to their plan.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   
It's tough but you need to look for the deals. I had to skip two weeks of work once, and that's an entire pay check for me, so I had to really budget once. I ended up somehow spending like 120 dollars all month on food, and it lasted me a month and a half. Just the other day I bought enough food to feed four adults, three kids for under 20 dollars at a BBQ.

The skill of canning, freezing, preparing meals ahead of time, left overs, etc is an acquired one over time. Just make a budget, open the flyers and find quick and easy recipes.
Also, if you're strapped for cash rice and beans, pork, frozen veggies, are your best friend.
edit on 1-6-2015 by strongfp because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: MRuss

But what I really wanted to get across tonight is that yes, the droughts and bad weather can certainly be a factor in rising prices. But you have to remember that food prices remained stable throughout much of modern history.

Weather aside, the real reason food prices are rising---the true and indisputable reason--is that BIG FOOD is buying up the intermediary companies----the middle men---and because of the lack of competition they can charge whatever they want.

I believe this is part of the big agenda of the NWO---to strike down the middle class---the heart and soul of America, and make conditions nearly impossible for most people to live.....

Why? So that we'll need them. So that we'll depend on big government for even the air that we breathe.

Our dependence on them is central to their plan.

I completely agree. We need to buy meat from the local cattle farmer, we need to buy from local farmers market or grow our own. We need to stay away from PRE-PACKAGED FOODS as much as possible. Convenience of pre-packaged and canned foods has spoiled us. And until we quit buying it, they will have control.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   
We throw out almost nothing as well!
Our grocery bill has increased about 10-15 % in the last two years.
I certainly save some by buying the store brands which in most cases we like equally to the bigger name brands.

We used to have a big garden. Where we moved last year doesn't have the land so we container garden some.
I don't just miss the garden for the fresh veggies. We enjoyed it as a family project. We gave soooo much away.
I'm not much of a canner.

It seems to me when I was young that we ate a lot of hamburger meat and chicken as it was the least expensive. It really pays off to learn the tricks at the grocery store as to when the meat is on sale, etc. The local store I frequent the most has a "senior" day every Wednesday. There is usually not much on sale especially in the meat aisle on that day. They are packed from morning until nightfall though!

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: sprtpilot

Wrong. Those food stamps only go so far. People that are the hardest hit by this economy are trying to stretch those food stamps as much as possible. The more food goes up,the less they can buy.Just like the rest of us.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Also, If you aren't a creative cook, don't panic! My SO uses MyFridgeFood to help himself out when he needs to cook but thinks we have "no food" ....which is never the case. It's really helped him out of the convenience trap as well.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   
If you think prices are high in the USA try living in Australia, the prices here are damn ridiculous, the highest in the world actually. You guys in the USA don't realize how good your prices are compared to most other developed nations.

Australia is ridiculously expensive for everything that matters

If you've been thinking the cost of life in Australia is killing you slowly, your instincts are correct. Australia has been listed as the most expensive country in the world for the fourth year in a row.

Deutsche Bank released its annual report, Mapping the World's Prices, which compares the cost of first-world essentials — iPhones, Levi's jeans, beer and cigarettes — in U.S. dollars in countries across the world. The U.S. ranks as the least expensive developed country. Yet, the gap between the U.S. and Australia has been narrowing.

edit on 1/6/2015 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I am glad that I invested in a vacuum sealer for food.I go to my butcher and I order a 'meat package' and it has about 50 lbs of meat in it. Its about $150. Then I take all the meat and divide it up into meals. If it is going to be hamburgers,I make the patties and season them,then seal it up and put it in my deep freeze. If it is a roast,I season it,seal it and freeze it as well.I'll preprep it for whatever I plan on making out of each piece,then seal it and freeze it. Then I just pull out whatever I need that day and start cooking. It was the only way I could feed 2 people reasonably well for a month or two.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join