It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Incredible, Ridiculous Cost of Food. And How They're Getting Away With It.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle

originally posted by: tinker9917
a reply to: MRuss

I went to the meat aisle last week cause I'm running ourt of meat in my freezer (usually but a whole side of beef at a time from a local farmer) and ONE ribeye steak was $18! I about fell over...

You know, because of the California drought prices are going up. Because of all the EXCESSIVE rain through Texas, Colorado, Oklahoma, food crops are ruined. Prices will be going up.

We're in big trouble this next year or two (or more)!

What the hell is with the price of hamburger??? Steaks are always a bit crazy, but hamburger? WTF? In the 2000's we were feeding a family of 4 on about 600 a month. The kids are gone off on their own and between the wife and I we are now spending 400 a month. It's insane!

Cheers - Dave

The 2011 drought in Texas took cattle numbers down by 600K. Ranchers simply couldn't afford to feed their cattle.

www.chron.com...

Growing grain to feed cattle consumes an incredible amount of water. It takes 1800 gallons of water to create 1 pound of meat.

foodtank.com...

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: MRuss You are absolutely correct. When 10 companies, I believe I am right, have control over all the food in the USA, something is really ,really wrong. The amount of control these companies have acquired is astonishing. Every bite we eat and buy is already controlled by these mega companies. I very much doubt if anything can be done to reverse this now.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

Yes, droughts have an impact. But no doubt the world has suffered through droughts many, many times in its history.

Current droughts only paint part of the picture when it comes to increase in food prices.

Research shows consolidation and acquisition are the real culprits.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: sprtpilot

Excellent, excellent points. Yes, it is the same with college tuition. All the government money floating around is soaked up by the universities.

Oh, there days when I just can't help but think about how screwed we all are.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 10:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct
Also, If you aren't a creative cook, don't panic! My SO uses MyFridgeFood to help himself out when he needs to cook but thinks we have "no food" ....which is never the case. It's really helped him out of the convenience trap as well.

Great site thanks

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 10:27 PM
link   

I think it is about to get much worse. Buy as much food that you can store as possible now because the prices will be a bargain compared to what it will look like in a few months or years.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Families of five. That's part of the problem right there. Why the need for so many kids? Is it an Ego thing? Sloppiness? Religious reasons? Stupidity? Whoops moments that no one takes into consideration and learns from? Desire to live off the State by just continuing to be stupid and irresponsible?

Sheesh. I understand sex and children are cool and all, but damn!

Somewhere down the line ya just gotta look into the future a bit and chill the heck out. Houses don't build themselves, there is finite space in most experiences and unless you're working a freaking family farm, why the hell does any family need that many damn kids? It's like some sort of genetic warfare to see who can produce the most children and "win the game" in some areas.

Cripes. Really?

Rant over.

My husband and I aren't able to have kids and couldn't feed them even if we wanted them.

We have been trying to balance our budget for years now to where we are no longer down to a little more than pasta two weeks into the month. It's getting better, but maintaining a strict focus is essential. I recently heard that there are a lot of local regional agriculture being bought by overseas interests, though I cannot verify this information so I'm not jumping to conclusions just yet. No offense to China or anything, I know they're doing a lot to make all manner of products for us so the least we can do is repay the favor but for heavens sake - something is just screwy in the mix!

I've tried making soups and homemade meals from scratch but it's sometimes at a point where neither of us can hold ourselves together mentally enough to take time to prepare a home cooked meal, and when you do the math - it actually costs MORE to make a soup or dinner dish than it does to just buy some off the shelf canned soup or all manner of what-have-you.

I just find it sad that so many people are paying for products that have fancy advertising and excess packaging instead of just relying on bulk cereals and staples. When I was a child, I remember big barrels of all manner of dry consumables and treats.

What ever happened to those types of stores?

We simply don't have infrastructure supply chains around here that cater to that kind of simplicity anymore.

It's insane!

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 10:45 PM
link   

I must be the only one who isn't noticing these huge price increases. Maybe I am a more thrifty shopper than others, but it is very easy to save a lot of money on groceries.

Sure if you are going out and paying full price on everything, yes you are spending a lot more money. The difference is that companies are relying more and more on sales/coupons/apps/special programs to draw in and keep customers.

As long as you do a bit of research on the store you are buying from, things aren't more expensive, and can often times be much less expensive.

Do some research before you buy. Look into buying bulk from local farmers/stores. I recently bought a cow with a friend from a local farmer(already cut up, packaged, and frozen) and ended up paying around $2/lb for amazing quality ground beef, and steaks.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 10:46 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

You think so huh? Based on what...

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Buy meat in bulk, and buy at the right time. Freeze what you don't use. Couple examples, eggs are going to be very expensive right before Easter, and ribeyes before pretty much any holiday. Chicken wings are very expensive during football season, which then drives the price down on the breasts, etc., because chickens can't grow 6 wings per 2 breasts. At least not yet.

Well, I'm in the food business, sales to restaurants and stores, so I know a little about the market. Plus, I can buy in bulk at a good price.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 10:57 PM
link   
i just grow my own food. thanks for the rains; i love you

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, and I apologise if someone has, but the cost of food has risen because the cost of transporting it has risen.

There's no conspiracy here. The nation runs on fuel that is now twice as expensive, just like the food.

edit on 1-6-2015 by Bybyots because: . : .

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: GENERAL EYES

What ever happened to those types of stores?

You ought to check to see if there are any markets near you run by Seventh Day Adventists, that is likely the only place that you will find food sold in that manner any longer.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Yes, if you throw in gas, 400 a week is a given for a larger family.

And its outrageous beyond belief.

I keep waiting for people to get mad, to wake up, to tell their elected minions to damn well set in price control of essential things like housing, food, utilities, and that otherwise they are fired, they're out of there. Leave peacefully as this is a citizen's arrest.

There has to be this small complacent well off group that employees everyone and ensures they don't step out of line, for so many people to not make waves.

Its beyond belief to have to pool incomes or have a yuppies income, and then be fleeced out of every dollar by these extortionist (fill in the blank for what I want to write) asshats.

Its insane.

I get very upset in stores and often state outloud how this is illegal and if I won a lottery I'd be taken them to court for fixing high prices and conspiracy.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: GENERAL EYES

Do you mean that they have priced everythign out so no one has kids except for the fundamentalist high risk refugees, ME and Africans they are bringing in, kind of like a race replacement, and we're all supposed to hand over our money and thank them for their goals, plans against humanity and the free and equal portions of the world, and agree in guilt to hand every single penny over for what was affordable just a decade or two ago?

Doesnt matter what number of kids you have, the prices are illegal extortion and damn well need to be changed.

I would like to see them all rotting in jail for implementing their agenda's.

edit on 1-6-2015 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Someone said fast food is cheap.....Oh no listen 4 of us went out to Wendy's today $27.00 and one of the 4 only had a coke and fries. Too much!!! when dinner rolled around I picked up hot dogs and chips at family dollar....I can't afford fast food either.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 12:01 AM
link   

First, I will say you are correct about the food prices going up, the monopoly by a few mega corps over all the food supply though their smaller corp entities, and also of the NWO involvement and this is one of the most important pieces they have gotten total control over; 95% of the world's food and or future foods productions.

There are some aspects of this NWO thing that are a bit more palatable than others. The price of food is not one of them.

I truly pray that you see everything for what it is with no compromise before it's too late. There is no part of the NWO that is palatable. The NWO is control by force, bee hive mentality, destruction of individualism, national pride, state's right's, makes a mockery and warps ever religion against each other whilst intently destroying/uprooting Christianity as well. The main goal of the NWO is spiritual death, med-minor goals: false doctrines/psy-ops, fake new age enlightenment(Joel Osteen, Creflo Dollar, Oprah, Wonderland movement, Burning Man, Ice bucket challenge and even the Charlie Charlie "game"(The Charlie thing is not a game, it is evoking unclean spirits/demons into your life/household, Charlie even seeping into our children's schools). Charlie to hebrew is Shamir. In ancient times it/demon went by al-rimah. Shamir was sought by Solomon for carving and setting stones and gemstones, he was found by binding and sealing Asmodaeus, the demon king at that time. If you take their (NWO, Beast SYSTEM mark), it will be too late. Here's some links to oust Charlie's scumy butt:

Charlie Translated to Hebrew

Use of Shamir on stones

In Sumarian times Shamir was Rimah and had a town/towns named after him like most ziggurat communities of that time

Vey detailed accout of Solomon accuiring the use of Shamir

Sorry for all those links, but I know I sound crazy to most so I wanted to throw out some proof. Sorry to break away a-bit from the food subject, but something in my spirit burned hot and I was willed to provide this.

Chansi3 is spot on with his post,

Food prices have rose dramatically in the last few years. Small food chains could not compete. Several had to close in my area due to co-op situations. Previously the small chains would pool there resources and buy together at the co-op's. When the larger stores moved in they just could not compete. Stores that had been in this area for 20 or more years had no choice but to close. The larger stores took control of the local co-ops and that was that. As more and more animals die, food will get scarce. The fish are dieing , just recently a terrible number of antelopes have died and the recent bird flu has decimated a lot of chicken and turkey farms. Your best bet would to now learn how to container plant or learn to prepare and care for your own garden. I would also advise anyone and everyone to stock up on plant seeds, because this will be the next in line for outrageous pricing. There are many on ATS that can help with garden and canning questions. Let us hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

Seeds will be extremely viable, valuable and important. Seeds will be used by many including the remnant to get by day to day from food, clothing, healing and recreation.

Back on topic, This latter scenario I'm about to give will actually happen and sooner than we think.

The day will soon come after the mark is not voluntary and will be enforced to the death if we don't comply. They will say, come join us take the mark and enjoy steaks and lobster and caviar and be not like the Christians who are hungry for foods and live meager till we find and exterminate them. But the true christian says even am I blessed with torn rags upon this hill, mountain, wilderness with a few oatmeal packets and some filtered water from their lifestraw water filter and humbly give praise to the Lord even for that. As in those days faith is supplies and many saints/remnant will multiple the meager to the great and God will provide to his people in those days.

God Bless All in these times
Be prepared, Be wise, Be vigilant

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Some days i just do a beer diet to cleanse the crap i've been eating, fast food. And not eat a single thing, just drink. I just gotta cleanse my system of the grease, and GMO's sometimes with a 24 pack of Natural Light. Well, every night ha. I rarely eat twice a day. And more times than not, it's just a burger or a slice of pizza. I don't eat anything atleast 2 days a week. Full time job for 4 years. Smoke mary jane every day. No, i don't cook. I need a woman for that of course.

I feel like my diet might catch up to me soon.

Can't trust any food these days. Unless you grow it yourself, in which i have no experience.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 12:10 AM
link   
a reply to: whatmakesyouright
Indeed.
One thing I've noticed is that the newspaper ad specials are now for mostly prepared or junk food. My mother always bought flour, sugar and meal in bulk when it was on sale. I can't remember the last time I saw any of those items in a "special buy" ad at our local stores.

I have a memory that comes from around 1964 I think. I was about 10 at the time and was just beginning to take an interest in cooking and food. We shopped at the grocery store each Saturday. On one particular Saturday when the shopping was done and the groceries were loaded into the back of the car, there was no room for me. The seats and floorboard were filled with groceries.
When Mama got into the car Daddy asked if she had intended to buy out the store. Her answer was to hold out her hand with a few coins in it.
"I've just spent the most on groceries I've ever spent in my entire life at one time. This is all that is left of the $20 I took into the store."
All the groceries in the back of that car were basic supplies, no prepared foods for our household. We grew most of our veggies, had chickens for eggs, had milk from the dairy farm next door and meat from relatives or hunting. Our usual weekly food budget was $10/week to feed two adults, a teen-aged boy and a 10 yr. old girl who could eat as much as her brother.

We are lucky enough to have a little store run by some Amish people where we can still buy in bulk. I buy my basics, sugar, flour and cornmeal, in 50 lb. bags. I buy beef and pork from a farmer down the road who sells by the half or quarter. I pay market price (wholesale market) for meat that I know hasn't been pumped full of chemicals, then I pay the local processor to butcher it and make it ready for my freezer. The money stays in the local economy and the product doesn't have more miles on it than my '73 Chevy when it goes into my freezer.
Last night we had liver and onions, (purchased from local growers) asparagus, mashed potatoes, and a salad of mixed lettuce, shiso, sorrel, radishes, green onions and strawberries from our gardens. In addition to saving money, there is a great deal of satisfaction in being able to produce food for the table and to be able to share it with others.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 03:21 AM
link   

The Incredible, Ridiculous Cost of Food. And How They're Getting Away With It. Well, the depoulation rake has got many tynes

Open War
Hidden war
chemcially polluted food
contrived expensive/shortage of food
GMOs
Chemtrails
Vaccines
HARP induced events
Second rate health care for second rate people (the two tier health care system)
codexailmentatus

who knows whats to come,

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join