It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

The Incredible, Ridiculous Cost of Food. And How They're Getting Away With It.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 04:51 AM
Perhaps if people cooked just enough food, that they know they can eat, without waste, they would have more of it, I am reminded of a TV advert from long ago, where it showd a family of four at the dinner table, and bowl of cooked peas that looked like in contained three Kilo's, three kilo's of peas for a family of four?
Same with toothpaste adverts, the whole of the brush covered in paste? it only needs a spot!
That's like half a packet of detergent for one clothes wash!
I blame those who make the adverts under instruction from the company paying for it.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 06:25 AM
What if i told you that food has never been this cheap, lets see this chart I made

From this data, clearly you could say I'm crazy, food cost more now than ever, well really? you see money is nothing you use it to buy an sell stuff, itself has no value, lets say a farmer wants to buy stuff with the money he made out of his food, lets say he gets gold, so lets normalize the prices to the price of gold for each time

You see, food has never been this cheap, a farmer back them could buy much more gold selling the same amount of product he does today. Food is not more expensive, your coins worth less.
edit on 2-6-2015 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 06:40 AM
a reply to: GENERAL EYES

I could not read past your first 2 sentences!

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 06:47 AM
People would laugh in the past when I mentioned control of the food chain being a plan.

I get a kick out of the food stamps causing the problem. That's a high level of awareness of the world.

Almost all of our current problems can to filed under greed.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 06:54 AM
Surely you've noticed, that not only has the price went up, say for a box of cheerios, but the actually oz in that box have went down?

Getting screwed twice on the same box of cereal.

Anyone wants any canning info or advice, just PM me. Meat, veggies, beef stew. Heck, even bacon.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 07:19 AM
Yep food has gone up something horrible and they say there is no inflation. For example certain biscuits we buy have gone up from $2.50 to $3.50 all of a sudden. That represents an increase of 40% unless my maths is off. So what is the true inflation rate I wonder? So many lies. You go to the supermarket to buy milk and bread and spend 50 dollars.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 08:36 AM

originally posted by: tinker9917
a reply to: MRuss

I went to the meat aisle last week cause I'm running ourt of meat in my freezer (usually buy a whole side of beef at a time from a local farmer) and ONE ribeye steak was $18! I about fell over...

You know, because of the California drought prices are going up. Because of all the EXCESSIVE rain through Texas, Colorado, Oklahoma, food crops are ruined. Prices will be going up.

We're in big trouble this next year or two (or more)!

another good reason to go hunting. you could buy an elk or deer tag for about the same.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 09:06 AM
Here's the answer I have.

Buy about 100 acres of farmable land. It helps if you used to be a farmer or a farm kid.

Raise chickens, goats, and a few head of cattle grass fed per year. Buy a half-dozen feeder calves and let them pig out. You'll want alfalfa and some silage, too. And a big hay field.

Then plant a really big truck garden. Several acres. Lots of good stuff. And have several acres in fruit. Can it all. Or freeze it.

Then go hunting. Forget trophies. Put out feed, salt and minerals, and harvest several does a year. Not to mention dove hunting, and if you raise them right and have appropriate land and a few acres of millet and the like, you can put up a ton of quail and guinea hens.

Voila! sustainable food for you and the family at reasonable prices. It is a lot of work. But worth it.

eta: if you want to see the real face of inflation, just WAIT until the minimum wage goes to $15. Then the economy is going to punt it. You might want all this stuff (and a lot of seed...) ready to go before that happens.
edit on 2-6-2015 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 09:12 AM

Sure, you can blame the emergence of the middle class the world over, and you can blame the droughts and climate change. But the truth of the matter is that the biggest increase comes from BIG FOOD buying up corporations through acquisitions. No surprise there, huh? Those trans-national corporations continue to roll over our way of life in huge ways every day of our lives.

The high price of food, along with the high price of everything else, is not caused by 'big mean corporations' jacking up the prices.

If they were so greedy, why don't they just charge $20 for a single loaf of bread? Or hell, why not $50 or $100? I mean, obviously there's nothing stopping them.

Prices are high for a multitude of reasons.

Inflation, government taxation, government regulation, fractional reserve banking, keneysian economic policies, government control over the printing of money...and on and on and on and on.

If you really want change, remove government from the market completely. Anything else that you do will only result in more of the same. People have been turning to government for over 100 years now to fix issues such as these, and look and behold, they have only gotten worse.

Seriously, you need to brush up in your Austrian economics.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 09:14 AM
Shop local farmers markets, It is where you should be buying your fruits and vegetables at least. All non GMO, and I pay well under .89 cents per pound for most food there. Weekly I spend around $15.00 and have enough fresh vegetables to last me all week!

Now if I were to go to walmart those same vegetables would probably cost me around 30-45 dollars roughly.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 09:15 AM
a reply to: Indigent

My labor is also worth "less," therefore - food is more expensive when compared to what I possess to trade for it.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 09:18 AM

originally posted by: strongfpAlso, if you're strapped for cash rice and beans, pork, frozen veggies, are your best friend.

Rice and beans are your best friend regardless. I have my lentils and rice dish as my phone screensaver!

Edit: In fact here's my lentils and rice recipe for your viewing and living pleasure:
edit on 2-6-2015 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 09:18 AM

Obesity. Has anybody in this thread taken into consideration that a lot of people are eating a lot more..?

If you're basing your argument off of families weekly shops, how large are these families? how much food do they consume? are they an average?

Have you compared prices from the 70's through to 00's and done a percentage comparison of these values in relation to inflation?

..Another gripe is water.. a basic human need and yet we pay for it.. We don't just pay for the privilege of having it on tap to our homes with lots of additives to the point where it is no longer H2O.

But where can you go to find safe, clean drinking water and take as much as you want for free..?

All above is food for thought
(pun intended).
edit on 2/6/2015 by L.A.B because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 09:32 AM

originally posted by: jude11
All in the big plan...

“Control oil and you control nations; control food and you control the people.”

Henry Kissinger

Isn't it strange that even when oil prices dropped drastically food and other items still continued going up? Inflation is a one-way street it seems, no backsliding allowed.

One of the biggest contributors to the rising prices of food was the acquisition by the Chicago Mercantile Exchange of both the Chicago Board of Trade and the New York Mercantile Exchange. These trading houses dealt in commodities (which are now bundled with other "investments" and sold on the derivatives market). So the rich investors are now squeezing every last penny they can out of the consumer at the dinner table.

I lament the loss of the independent farms which used to be so plentiful in the US. Not only did they raise good food these people were pillars of their communities where farmers helped other farmers all the time. Those days are gone, the family farm replaced by giant agro-tech companies with warehoused livestock who never see the sun or feel the grass, where genetically modified crops are thrown on the market without understanding how it will affect the consumer as well as the environment. All of these are propped up with massive usage of growth hormones, pesticides, herbicides and other poisons.

The USDA and EPA turn a blind eye to the damage done by big business and instead find individuals they can harass to justify their positions of power. It's a system destined to destroy itself and everyone else along with it.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 09:32 AM
a reply to: Bybyots

Okay, so I'm just going to say it again.

The reason food has gotten exorbitantly expensive is because of consolidation and acquisition. Go to the source that I posted in my OP and read it.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 09:36 AM
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Excellent, excellent reply----and you offered another important insight into the rising cost of food.

I am sort of shocked by the people who have written in to ask, "What food-price increase?"

I almost bought a PIECE of watermelon yesterday and it was nearly $4.00. Steak tips---a small package.... $12.

The increase in food prices have been all over the news and net.. it's not like we're making it up. Numbers are numbers.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 09:38 AM
a reply to: LewsTherinThelamon

Well, why don't you put a little time into researching this issue....starting with the source article I linked to in my OP.

Statistics show that the biggest reason for the increase in the price of food is consolidation and acquisition.

I mean, you folks can argue about it all you want. But that's a fact.

Maybe if you read my entire OP you wouldn't be struggling with this concept.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 09:38 AM
Grown your own food. Simple as that.

Invest in being self sufficient and getting outcome rather income. Income doesn't make sense when you put the work in, and get taxed income..

Invest in yourself, don't waste a single dollar. A dollar saved is a dollar made.

NWO, GMO, conspiracy blah blah.. if your working, what are you investing in, what is your outcome every month?

Invest in yourself, invest in self sufficient lifestyles.

Aeroponic gardens is a great start, and has been working for millions of others. Get creative with your experience in society, and build your experience less dependant, and more independent.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 09:49 AM

What we need to do to end this debate is to apply the scientific method to various economic models.

The model that allows us to make hypotheses that result in the most accurate predictions, is logically, the correct model we should be using to structure the economy.

It is completely silly not to factor in government meddling as one of the variables contributing to the rising costs of goods and services.

Commercial farmers are subsidized by the government, and have a monopoly on the food supply thanks to the state's willingness to take their money in favor of protecting them.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 10:03 AM
The government just allocated another 330 million bucks to reimburse the big farmers for poultry losses because of the bird flu. They had given 180 million before, but that pretty much was running out. This was supposed to buffer the rising cost of poultry and eggs, but it didn't do much. Eggs are up to three bucks a dozen here, junk commercial eggs. ones with no flavor. I had to pay two bucks a pound for a whole chicken, but we stocked up, Walmart had whole chickens for .99 a pound so we bought four to fend off the coming price increase.

Pork is coming down a bit because they got the diseases under control better in the pigs. That helps, I like to have pork once a week.

Anyone should be able to see that prices are rising on foods. Buying on sale and stocking up is crucial to keep food affordable. We have a pantry and rotate foods so we save a lot by buying things on sale.

They have food pantries out there and that is a good program OP. It helps.

The wife and I have got our monthly food costs at around three hundred bucks and we are eating some good foods but these foods need to be prepared, except for an occasional frozen pizza.

Try making pasties, they come out to between a buck and a buck and a half a piece to make, depending on size and how much meat you want in them. Making fourteen pasties gives you two meals for the family. They are good reheated in an oven or just cold.

new topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>