It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Incredible, Ridiculous Cost of Food. And How They're Getting Away With It.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: MRuss

My hypothesis is such that, if we abolished all government taxation against both the individual and business, if we abolished all government regulations and subsidies, if we abolished all government services in favor of privatization in the market, and if we specifically abolished the federal Reserve and switched our currency back to gold and silver:

1. Inflation would end.
2. The end of taxation would relieve burdens off of all economic classes.
3. The prices of goods and services would plummet, and they would remain stable with no dramatic fluctuations outside of specific causes that are easy to pinpoint (natural disasters and such).
4. Poverty would plummet to all time lows.
5. There would be no "boom/bust" cycle, the economy would be stable.
6. People would have better options in the market for previous government monopolies related to schooling, mail, security, and welfare.

I predict that, as long as you petition the government to continue meddling in the economy, then the cost of living will continue to increase while wages stagnate--as has been the case for the past 100 years.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: c0gN1t1v3D1ss0nanC3

I must be the only one who isn't noticing these huge price increases.

Not the only one, I haven't noticed either and I have been going grocery shopping once a week for about the past 8 years straight now. I've seen people complaining about $5 gallons of milk and other expensive stuff...I consistently get my milk for 1.99 a gallon, without even waiting for any sales.

Also, a lot of sales are just nonsense. If you shop enough and pay enough attention to the prices you'll notice. I've seen many times where a cut of steak is showing as being on sale, most recently it was ribeye, but it was 9.99 per pound. That's pretty average, not really a sale. If it was really a sale it would be more like 6.99/lb.

A couple people complained about hamburger prices in this thread - I've paid the same for years, $13.99 for 32 oz of the 93% lean meat - which is more expensive.

I guess another key is buying stuff when there are good sales. Last week they had chicken breast buy 1 get 2 free...I always buy some when it's that good.

I dunno, prices seem about the same to me. I consistently spend between 60 and 150 per week - depending on what extra things I might need that week. If I need things like paper towels and toilet paper that week, or if I buy a nice bottle of rum, that's when it's closer to 150, or else it's going to be closer to 60.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   
they are starting to water ration in Cali
( ala enron)
look for water to go down and prices to go up

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   

When are we going to just snap?

We might all end up on snap (food stamps) if we can't afford to eat!

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Unity_99

Excuse me what? 400$ per week for fuel?
We pay 1.45€/Liter for 98/Super98 here in Germany. Diesel is cheaper, now sometimes down to 1.17€/Liter.
I see you´re from Canada (have relatives there 2 hours ride from saskatoon), I thought fuel is so cheap over there?
That would be over 200L fuel per week are you sure? Ok now I begin to undersand eventually you have to drive that far to the next shop but then, you would be living on a farm? Where food is grown.

edit on 2-6-2015 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: MRuss
There are some aspects of this NWO thing that are a bit more palatable than others. The price of food is not one of them.

We need food to live. And obviously, we need healthy food to live well.

I left the grocery store today so incensed, so pissed off that I am living through a time in world history where I am enslaved to a bunch of psychopaths and that their mandates have begun to affect my life in very serious ways.

Food prices remained stable for a long time in our modern history. You could feed a family of 5 in the 70's and 80's for $100 a week and eat pretty well. In the 90's and early 2000's you could still swing 21 square meals a week for about $150 if you planned well.

What are you spending on groceries now? It's insane! I have friends who tell me their grocery bills are upwards of $300 a week for a family of five. I have friends telling me that they're shopping the junk food aisles because they can stretch their grocery dollars farther.

And let's face it: Fast food is still the cheapest meal around and there are plenty of people patronizing these places on a regular basis as a way to feed their families.

Why the steep rise in food prices?

Sure, you can blame the emergence of the middle class the world over, and you can blame the droughts and climate change. But the truth of the matter is that the biggest increase comes from BIG FOOD buying up corporations through acquisitions. No surprise there, huh? Those trans-national corporations continue to roll over our way of life in huge ways every day of our lives.

Perhaps the largest price pressure stemming from the processors and packagers (the intermediaries) in our food system is consolidation; that is, mergers and acquisitions. As we reported previously, Big Food’s consolidation often indirectly spells higher food prices as a result of a lack of competition in the marketplace. It’s predicted that the consolidation process will increase food prices, particularly in the meat processing and packaging industry; USA Today reported earlier this month that beef and veal prices are expected to rise 6% in the next few months, and around 3.5% this year overall.

Lack of competition in the middle sectors of food production is the real culprit.

“It’s bad anytime you have competitors going away,” Sheehan told CNBC. “There will be less incentive to lower prices in stores, and that can be harmful all around.”

This is food, folks! We need food to live.

I am newly amazed everyday that nobody seems to be incensed enough to express shock and outrage at the new atrocities that come our way everyday. It is not getting easier out there. It seems to get harder every single solitary day.

When are we going to just snap?

source: www.cheatsheet.com...

All of the top food companies are seeing major stock price increases over the same time frame we have all seen food cost go up! Corporations rule the world and take much and give next to nothing! The TPP will only give themmore power over us and we pay more for food, drugs, etc and lose jobs to the lowest bidder. So basically it's gonna get worse, much much worse!

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Food prices remained stable for a long time in our modern history. You could feed a family of 5 in the 70's and 80's for $100 a week and eat pretty well.

data.bls.gov...

$100 bucks in 1970 would have today's purchasing power of $609.

Fiat currency people.

As time goes on the more currency in circulation the more it takes to buy things.

The less you get.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   
There is a reason why WHO wants us to start munching on insects.

The amount of fresh water needed to maintain a lettuce or tomato crop is insane, and we are running out of fresh water. Sure the essential nutrients that they provide are essential but those farmers cannot sustain their crops without the water. I've grown tomato vines in the past and the amount of water used compared to the yield was not worth the effort.

Unless we start breeding strains of crops that are less water reliant then the demand will continue to rise as will the prices.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct
Also, If you aren't a creative cook, don't panic! My SO uses MyFridgeFood to help himself out when he needs to cook but thinks we have "no food" ....which is never the case. It's really helped him out of the convenience trap as well.

I can't say enough how awesome that site is. I actually used it today to make lunch with only the 3 ingredients I wanted. I selected my ingredients and it recommended this which came out awesome:
www.myfridgefood.com...

If you are looking to cut your cost to combat the increase of food prices and aren't much of a cook like myself, definitely check them out.

Don't get me wrong I like the other gazillion recipe sites in the web, but unlike many of those I find the option to pick my ingredients first (that I have) and the recipe second as super convenient. It cuts me having to go to the store to get that one ingredient I always seem to be missing.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   
So here's a question, are BLS price numbers for goods wrong? If so, how wrong are they and how long have they been wrong?

Here's an image as well as tracking minimum wage (which is reflective of all wages) and comparing minutes of work to buy the same food across several decades.

Now, my latest datapoint there is from 4.5 years ago. It has been proposed that food inflation over the past couple years has been 30% per year. Even if we grant that point, food now would still be cheaper than food in 1980 yet several people here are claiming that food was much more affordable in 1980.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   
New account. I couldn't figure out my old password for my previous account and my email wasn't getting an update change password.

I wanted to comment on this, because for a long time I had my doubts. But not anymore. I'm sure there will be those who will say one way or another that it's not fact or what not, but I believe fully now that we are on the verge of the end times as prophesied in the Holy Bible.

Food is getting more expensive. Bottom line.

Revelations 6:6 says "And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts say, A measure of wheat for a penny, and three measures of barley for a penny; and see thou hurt not the oil and the wine."

This tells me, that even if we are not in the end times, it's getting very close; considering the cost of living seems to be increasing tremendously.

Ladies and gentlemen of ATS: The motto is "deny ignorance". I'm not an alien, or a reincarnate or any of that. To be honest, I fell back into sin, and I stumble every day. All I ask is that you take this comment as food for thought.

If you don't know Jesus Christ as your personal lord and savior, I strongly urge you to do your own research into the signs of the times and find Him. He loves everyone. Yes. Everyone. Including me even though I don't deserve it. He died for all of us.

I'm never going to be perfect, none of us will be, but consider my words. Please?

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Good. Let the rage flow through you. Then go ahead and start growing what you can, whenever you can. And if you think you can't grow anything, you could still grow your own mushrooms. Save coffee grounds and filters in a sterilized box, pop some mycelium in there and wham, oyster mushrooms. There's a bunch of guides online, I'm growing mine now and have a garden out back.

Also, I dunno how anyone affords processed and packaged foods. Meat and dairy are absurd, corn products are subsidized by the government to be cheaper, so you can carry on slowly killing yourself with sugary foods though.

This is why I like the idea of community gardens, urban gardening. Heck, with the technology available now we could grow the world's food indoors using special LED lights.

If you're angry about the price of food, stop buying it and start growing your own as much as possible.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie
There is a reason why WHO wants us to start munching on insects.

The amount of fresh water needed to maintain a lettuce or tomato crop is insane, and we are running out of fresh water. Sure the essential nutrients that they provide are essential but those farmers cannot sustain their crops without the water. I've grown tomato vines in the past and the amount of water used compared to the yield was not worth the effort.

Unless we start breeding strains of crops that are less water reliant then the demand will continue to rise as will the prices.

All we have to do is use more water efficient growing techniques.

Hydroponic gardening uses very little water and yields very high crop density. It's done entirely inside a sealed environment so there's no losses to evaporation and no need to use pesticides.

Vertical growing takes the concept a step further and uses a mere 2% of the water that is normally used to water a field. Again, it's a sealed environment meaning there's no need for pesticides (so no need for GMO) but this method uses a bit more energy because it requires supplemental growing lights.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

All we have to do is use more water efficient growing techniques.

Or don't have a farm in a desert.

My acreage has plenty of water. Too much at times. I've got two huge creeks you can go down in an inner tube for a mile or two, and two wells, one for the house and a high flow ag well. The aquifer is full, even with the area full of agriculture, and it's simon pure. No oil, no pesticides, no radon, nothing but silicon and a trace of copper and iron. It's SO pure I am going to have to put in a neutralizer to add in carbonates for the house feed as soon as I'm done out here.

eta: the lower 10 acres down by the road are flooded a lot because the beavers like to dam up a small creek tributary. I have put in beaver pipes and it's helped, but what I need to do is divert that branch or sink it into a big concrete culvert as it crosses that field, where they can't get to it.

Or plant the whole thing in rice/tilapia/prawns.

edit on 2-6-2015 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

Awesome. Maybe one of us can make a thread about it so more members can try it out.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 09:48 PM
link   

As someone with a degree in Finance, I am not sure if this is the work of the NWO as much as it is the work of hyperinflation. Those of us in finance industry preached about this years ago...

If you think it's bad, just wait. This isn't even the beginning. I wouldn't be surprised if this is why so many bank executives jumped off their buildings a few months back, the FED is just now about to start raising interest rates. My friends, if rates go up, this means that banks, corporations, etc have to increase their prices to pay the debts they owe. I am seriously looking of relocating my family.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I eat healthy foods cheap. No clue why people are paying outrageous prices. You can still get high calorie meals cheap, and I'm not talking fast/junk food.

I can get a loaf of 15 grain bread, almond butter, and some nice preserve jams for less than $15 and grub on that for 2-3 days. That's just one example.

The fed won't increase rates. It's a death sentence and everyone knows it. People have been saying this for so many damned years. Those bankers deaths have been reported for years as well. Nothing new under the sun.
edit on 2-6-2015 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Emerys

You are seriously looking of relocating your family huh. Did you get that finance degree from Brigham Dumb or something?

A degree in finance is like getting a degree in "legal" gambling. Let's not get confused here though, that "legal" gambling should be more illegal than almost all other crimes out there.

You do realize that inflation should be at it's greatest point right now right?

QE has been pumping money like crazy into the US economy for years. Interest rates have been basically non existent. Things should be extremely expensive right now, but they aren't.

I went to the school of hard knocks, so sorry if this is basic stuff, but maybe you need a reminder...

If 100 people that live in town X have a total of $1000, split up evenly among the community for goods and services, they all have $10.

Services and goods are cheap and people are happy.

Now lets say you add $100,000 to this communities economy. There are still 100 people living there. All of the citizens of town X now have $1010. This is a perfect situation which doesn't exist, but in this reality services cost the exact same amount even though prices have skyrocketed.

Now in the real world, people manipulating the finances are going to take the majority of QE stim money for themselves. Goods and services in this reality will only slightly rise in price, because a small percentage of the population is taking advantage of this "free" stimulus money.

Prices only go up when the majority receives a similar share of that stim $.

This is why scenarios you believe will happen won't come to fruition. Your scenario requires that majority parties receive adequate amounts of this wealth distribution.

There are plenty of scenarios where the USA and the world could fall under very hard and dire circumstances in the future.

The FED raising interest rates a little bit isn't one of them.

edit on 2-6-2015 by c0gN1t1v3D1ss0nanC3 because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-6-2015 by c0gN1t1v3D1ss0nanC3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 11:34 PM
link   

I agree food prices are going up, but I feed my family of six well for about 100$ a week.

Coupons, sales, generic, still get good veggies and fruits. We just cut out the crappy snacks. And with growing kids loaves and loaves of bread are amazing.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 11:54 PM
link   
How should I put this............

Your food supply and market is not driven/manipulated by the number of people on food stamps. What you need to look at is what is going on in the market and where the shortages are coming form.

Right now there is a huge shortage coming from within the poultry market due to avian flu disease. Eggs. How much of our food supply is centered around egg products?

A majority of it!

Notice the price of eggs lately? Now take in to consideration the foods you buy that contain eggs after processing? Now ask yourselves, where does the most eggs come from and whom does the majority of research on this disease?

Iowa. Most of the US eggs come from Iowa and the Ames research Labs in Ames, Iowa has not only been conducting research, but pushing their findings as the new potential vaccine for avian flu.

There is a lot of manipulation happening behind the scenes and we are paying for it.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join