It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Word that You Should Never Utilize

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Theres a word that I keep hearing that really bothers me. People utilize it all the time, and its often utilized to make what they're saying sound more sophisticated. I think I have picked up on the false intelligence that is conveyed when this word is utilized, but maybe I'm the one being obnoxious. This word has a much simpler analog that can utilized instead of it. In fact, its utilization is nothing more than adding syllables to speech only for the sake of sounding more sophisticated.

Do you know the word yet? I've utilized it enough in that paragraph.

The word is utilize. There is no utilization of the word utilize that can't be replaced by some form of the verb "to use". Do I have to be 'utilizing' my keyboard to write these words? Or could I reduce my pomposity and simply be 'using' my keyboard to write these words?

Or am I the pompous turd for caring about people's word selection?

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: cooperton

Pompous or not, You have a good point.LOL! It is what It Is, right? "Remember, It's Just a Ride".......

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Yarps, one could just use "use" instead.

Now:

Buglarized.

I have heard this used on US TV shows.

It's fekking "Burgled" and has been for maybe several hundred years..... it annoys me so much that once i burst a blood vessel and had to be Doctorized.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I concour wholeheartedly with your statement regarding the utilisation of said word.

I am unable to fathom why people are compelled to use superfulous wordage.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   
The one that irks me is "de-thaw"...

You just pulled it out if the freezer to cook it... Why would you want to freeze it again?

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Yes, but you could utilize the key board as say a weapon, which is okay, because you are not using the keyboard as a keyboard.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy
Yes, but you could utilize the key board as say a weapon, which is okay, because you are not using the keyboard as a keyboard.

Yeah, many times where the word "utilize" is used is scenarios where the "use" is unconventional, so it has it's place in the English language.

When utilized to sound smart - it's irritating!

edit on 20-5-2015 by socketdude because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Also: when people say "utilize", it often conveys a sense of better "use".

If I use a condom there's a 90% chance she won't get pregnant.

However, if I utilize a condom, she ain't getting pregnant unless she's the Virgin Mary! Giggidy!

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

Yah but it only works once that way. Well if You hit someone over the head with the flat side. I use the edge. You get more uses of it that way and it does way more damage!!! LMAO!!!

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I prefer to use the word utilise when saying utilise as utilize is more standard when utilised in the American English language.

But then again one is British.

However : The Oxford press prefer -ize as more internationally used and the Cambridge press prefer -ise, as -ise is traditionally more British..

Bloody heck... you could turn Schizophrenic reading what I have just posted!

Anyways... I hate the word "Blathered" as in "Bloody hell mate did I get totally blathered last night on those 20 pints of Guinness and 16 Jaeger bombs down at the old hairy monkey!"

Warmest

Nibs

edit on 20-5-2015 by Nibbles because: Crap Grammar

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   

nothing wrong with that word. what irks me is when people choose to use the same adjective and/or adverb twice in the same paragraph.

Or when they use a big word but pronounce it in such a way as to verify to me that they have no clue how to spell it.

Or when they just misuse it outright.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   

It brings to mind a moreness.

To simply use something (as the word itself is simpler) brings to mind a simplicity;

While to utilize something; brings to mind the potential for greater use.

Just my quick thoughts on the matter.

Use your potential.

Utilize your potential.

It has passion embedded in it almost.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   
There is one thing I know for sure. The grammar being used by a significantly large portion of the Above Top Secret community is far below reasonable expectations.

The inabililty to indentify the correct application of "their", "they're", and "there" are chief amongst them.

Deny Ignorance, indeed.
edit on 20-5-2015 by TomLawless because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: TomLawless
There is one thing I know for sure. The grammar being used by a significantly large portion of the Above Top Secret community is far below reasonable expectations.

The inabililty to indentify the correct application of "their", "they're", and "there" are chief amongst them.

Deny Ignorance, indeed.

I agree, it's getting worser.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: TomLawless

Deny Ignorance, indeed.

Number one rule of a grammar nazi post, is that *that* very post will have at least one grammatical and or spelling mistake.

In this case the user misspelt, "inability" as well as "identify".

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Ha! My post even had two typos.

Yes. Now I am exposed.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: TomLawless

You were only following the rules dude, it's cool.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: socketdude
a reply to: TomLawless

You were only following the rules dude, it's cool.

Awesome. Still...Quite embarrassed.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nibbles
I prefer to use the word utilise when saying utilise as utilize is more standard when utilised in the American English language.

But then again one is British.

However : The Oxford press prefer -ize as more internationally used and the Cambridge press prefer -ise, as -ise is traditionally more British..

Bloody heck... you could turn Schizophrenic reading what I have just posted!

Anyways... I hate the word "Blathered" as in "Bloody hell mate did I get totally blathered last night on those 20 pints of Guinness and 16 Jaeger bombs down at the old hairy monkey!"

Warmest

Nibs

Blathered does not even mean that, unless you drank "too much" Guinness and were so bladdered you couldn't think straight. But i'm just chuntering now.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   
British slang is hilarious. I'm trying to learn more of it.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join