It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Word that You Should Never Utilize

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Interesting discussion. Since I'm fluent in French, I find that in that language there is a bit of a different connotation. 'Utiliser' is to take something and do something with it such as take the pencil and fill in the answers with it, whereas 'user' used in the past tense means to wear something out, such as the pencil's eraser has been all used up.

My pet peeve is the use of 'irregardless', which is not a word at all. Regardless says enough.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: aboutface

im annoyed by "proactive". and "synergy". Basically, any business buzzword.

The masses of sheep in the business world only do what the latest book tells them. At one point i was willing to kill the next person who brought up "moving the cheese".

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

im annoyed by "proactive". and "synergy". Basically, any business buzzword.

The masses of sheep in the business world only do what the latest book tells them. At one point i was willing to kill the next person who brought up "moving the cheese".

Do any of these make you angry then?

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   
American "political correctness" is probably the greatest KGB operation ever.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I hate "awesome". Its wicked over used. Trouble is, its too friggin awesome a word.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: cooperton

So words with more than two syllables are a sign that a person is being pompous and feigning intelligence ??

How sad.

It seems to me that the english language of today has become very lazy and, quite frankly, dumbed down to the point of incoherence in many cases.

It's a shame really, because language is an art and is something that should be fine-tuned and held with high regard... not muzzled and reduced to the lowest common denominator.

Here's some food for thought:

The devolution of the english language is a reflection of today's dumbed down society... that's a pretty bleak picture of where we're headed into the future, folks.

Idiocracy indeed.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

I don't think that's it so much as the misuse/abuse of words.

When you write, you should be thinking of your audience and your purpose as much as what you write. What purpose is there 90% of time in the use of utilize? In the example I listed, why would an apartment complex manager need utilize instead of simple use to instruct people to use the BBQ grills on the property? What is the purpose or need for that word? Does his audience merit it,or is it a case of simple word abuse in order to make the communication look more official or impressive with a bigger word?

Or to put another way, sometimes the use of a big, impressive word can be as much a sign of dumbing down as the lack of such words. Think "Brawndo: It's got electrolytes. What plants crave." Not single person in that society knew what electrolytes were, but they all knew that big, impressive word and threw it around freely to look smart.
edit on 20-5-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-5-2015 by ketsuko because: missing word

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Haha. It reminds me of when I worked for some dot coms with the weekly obligatory conference meetings. After two such snore-fests, we all quickly instigated buzzword bingo and our instant messengers used up a huge portion of the internet. The 'free' square had the word 'leverage' in it, lol.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   

My husband is "liking" in scope and value added for lingo. He says that it's optimal is also making the rounds.

"Is this the optimal use of my time. Is there value added and is it in scope?"

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 05:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy

originally posted by: TomLawless
There is one thing I know for sure. The grammar being used by a significantly large portion of the Above Top Secret community is far below reasonable expectations.

The inabililty to indentify the correct application of "their", "they're", and "there" are chief amongst them.

Deny Ignorance, indeed.

I agree, it's getting worser.

They're used to be a time when that didn't happen.

Their getting on my nerves as well I must admit...

But I guess that's there grasp on the English language.
edit on 21-5-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 06:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge

It seems to me that the english language of today has become very lazy and, quite frankly, dumbed down to the point of incoherence in many cases.

It's a shame really, because language is an art and is something that should be fine-tuned and held with high regard... not muzzled and reduced to the lowest common denominator.

Amen to that, sister Canuck!

Many of us here are writers, and we delight in utilizing the many splendid words that are available.
Ever read any of TrueBrit's replies? Poetry in motion!

"Utilize" is a proper word...it is not slang. To keep using the same word in a story or paragraph is redundant.
Maybe, instead of trying to sound smart...some people just are...smart.

Would you rather be 'used and abused', or 'utilized and criticized', lol?

jacygirl

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: jacygirl

originally posted by: CranialSponge

Amen to that, sister Canuck!

Many of us here are writers, and we delight in utilizing the many splendid words that are available.

"Utilize" is a proper word...it is not slang. To keep using the same word in a story or paragraph is redundant.
Maybe, instead of trying to sound smart...some people just are...smart.

Would you rather be 'used and abused', or 'utilized and criticized', lol?

jacygirl

I am not a writer and TB is a bloody pain in the arse for us non intelligent Brits who love the English language but have handicaps to learn it... may we be Dyslexic, Dyspraxic etc etc etc...

Bugger em all I say... learn to live with us all.

Nibs

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   

I prefer to use the word utilise when saying utilise as utilize is more standard when utilised in the American English language.

One should perhaps note that the identification as 'ise' endings as British and the 'ize' alternative as American is a myth, doubtless invented by the Lords of the Microsoft for their own sinister ends. 'ise' vs. 'ize'

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   

In general, I would agree with you, but never say never.

You might want to use a different word than 'use' if you need to use a word meaning 'use' a number of times in times in rapid succession. At such times, it is appropriate to utilize a synonym.

It's okay if one doesn't reach too far. Elegant variation for its own sake is vulgar and often ugly, but so is linguistic poverty or miserliness.

edit on 21/5/15 by Astyanax because: of an inelegant variation.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: ImaFungi

If I had to utilize my imagination to determine why this might be

No need. The reason is that the habit of responding to formal inquiries about one's health as if they were made from genuine curiosity is seen by posh folk as bad manners. When they ask, 'how are you?', they don't wish to hear, as they might, a list of your aches and pains, or a report on the sterling quality of your last bowel movement. Instead, one simply responds 'how are you?' and the matter is done with.

Yes, yes, I know; but don't shoot the messenger.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Nibbles

Bugger em all I say... learn to live with us all.

Give me a reason why.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl

Absolutely !

Utilizing a variety of words in literature is a beautiful thing... there's nothing worse than reading the same word 5 times in one sentence.

Ahhh yes, TrueBrit.... his posts melt my butter.

Artistry of the tongue.

*meow*

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

Utilizing a variety of words in literature is a beautiful thing.

Not necessarily:
elegant variation

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Because I am a miserable Bugger and people these days lack tolerance and are only looking for trivial arguments.

Warmest

Nibs

a reply to: Astyanax

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Nibbles

Oh, I see. A general complaint rather than a comment on the use of language.

Why, then, don't we all make up our own languages and use them? To hell with mutual understanding, eh, so long as we're all as perfectly tolerant as we're supposed to be?

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join