It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A room full of whites is a "Micro agression"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting

Students of color reported feeling uncomfortable and unwelcomed just walking into or sitting in the classroom, especially if they were the only person of color, or one of a few,” stated the report, which designated the experience a microaggression. “People do not necessarily say I do not belong, but I feel as if I do not when I am in a classroom and I am the one non-White person,” said one student, identified as a Latina female, who is quoted in the report.

Read more at: www.nationalreview.com...

I think this will be a tempest in a tea-pot. "Microaggression". MiniAggression. Unintended aggression. Hm.

What's the alternative? Segregated classrooms? I don't think so...........

I am sure Big Pharma will come out with a pill for all of those things sooner or later....

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Restricted
When we ignore it they say we don't understand or care.

It almost seems as if playing the race card is rewarded. Someone screems that they're offended, people walk on egg shells. Someone screems they were discriminated against, people bend over backwards to cater to them. That's why it's perpetuated behavior. It continues to be rewarded.
edit on 5/15/2015 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
Isn't THIS a type of racism? Assuming that the whites are there to keep them down?

of course it is, but the people doing it are really not racist, they know better. since, in their own minds they actually don't hate white people as a group, the only remaining possibility is a different motive, a scheme being run in the back drop and then taking advantage of the fact that some people truly are racist, which serves their cause for the time being. what's really happening is mass brainwashing to get the minority groups to hold the majority's wealth, whether it's 2 cents or millions of dollars, for ransom. it's never been about race, it's always been about money/power.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Maybe they have finally achieved equality.
Think about it this way.
They walk into a full room and have normal human paranoia just like every body else. See? Equality

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I understand they might be uncomfortable at times, but I don't see this as becoming a big social issue. It hasn't been since early integration, and I don't understand why it would become something to cause social unrest now.

Oh. Because social media.
edit on 5/15/2015 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   
This study was brought to you by the Ministry of Love.

You can see the full results on a future Ministry of Truth broadcast.

Ingsoc thanks you for your interest and participation.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   
A room full of purples is a Barney Party.

The only way i see to stop this crap is to make fun of it. Because anyone coming up with it deserves ridicule.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I blame the parents. This is a learned behavior. To automatically assume that these white folks are out to get you? Thus uncomfortable? Not even doing anything other than being white?

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Oh look, some researcher writes a report on "microaggressions" and then a political propaganda source makes sure to popularize it on the Internet so that the people they want to influence can be upset about it.

Which is worse?

The college students who report situations where they feel uncomfortable or the hysterical reaction of the people butthurt about it? Wake up fools. Out of control "political correctness" is a universal phenomena. Just as you're all shocked and dismayed by the content of the report, your reactions to it are equally indicative of your own brand of political correctness run amok.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7
This garbage just keeps showing up,becuase of HOW you are born you are guilty.

www.nationalreview.com...

I get what real "microaggressions" are. A real microaggression is if someone does something small and subtle that is offensive, but based on an internal prejudice or bias towards someone based on their gender, race, religion, sexual orientation, etc.

Surely people do this here and there. An example would be if a black man gets into an elevator, a couple shifts away from him, due to a hidden bias about Black men.

However, I have never once seen people ever in the social justice realm admit that microaggressions might go both ways.

Remember that microaggressions are subtle actions undertaken based on hidden stereotypes, bias, etc.

I've been walking at night and had women cross the street or act really afraid, or start walking faster, presumably because their fear and stereotypes about men. That is a microaggression but no one will ever admit that.

As to your op, yes, the "social justice" world is getting way out of hand.

And I say that as a liberal, as an ally, and someone who has worked on racial issues.

I'm getting offended.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   
This nonsense goes both ways.

When I attended school at a small university in a western state that was primarily Latino, I was usually the only "white" (never mind I'm also part Native American) girl in the classes I was taking. I was there on a full ride and working as a graduate teaching assistant and I was studying Southwestern Studies with a concentration in Language and Literature.

I already had my BA in Romance Language, with a concentration in Spanish and a Minor in Latin. I was no simple uneducated undergrad. I already had figured out very quickly I was only one of four "white" women in the entire town.

You wanna talk about aggression? How about being called a "gringa" in class on a daily basis? How about when the class started talking about the "evil white oppressors" who were keeping these poor latinos down, and then they all stared at me? At one point, one of my classmates informed me "You should go back to Texas or wherever the hell it is that you're from." As an aside, I'm not from Texas, I'm an Okie Girl and damn proud of it!

I attended my classes, I made straight A's. What's more, I was teaching PROPER Spanish (at the lower levels, of course) to these Proud Latinos who knew less of their history and language than I did. I dedicated nearly eight years of my life studying Hispanic language and literature, only to spat on by the very people I was trying to understand and enlighten.

Most hostile environment I have ever lived in or attended school in. I left after the first year due to the verbal abuse I was taking from those who thought they had every right to abuse me simply because I was the wrong color.

I think that any classroom where there is only one or two students who do not fit into the racial conformity of the make up of the class will likely face some aggression. When I left there, I went back to the university in which I completed my undergrad studies. It was right next to an army base, so it was totally integrated. No one cared what color you are or where you came from. I had friends from Puerto Rico, Germany, Phillipines, you name. Never once did I ever feel white guilt or out of place for being white.

It was my first time to be a minority. What I have taken away from this experience is that it doesn't really matter what color your skin is, if you are a minority in the group, you're gonna take some crap from the majority.

My advice is to find groups and places where there is immense cultural diversity - then everyone is on equal footing.

link   

originally posted by: ItCameFromOuterSpace
a reply to: cavtrooper7

This road eventually leads right back to segregation. Only this time it will be voluntary.

Honestly, your last statement has more truth than you know.

Just today I was thinking about where the social justice world is going, and media, and so on. I am so tired of people saying that "only whites culturally appropriate other's cultures," that "only whites are racist," that "if you disagree with us you are either ignorant, racist, or blinded by 'white privilege.'"

And i had a moment like "maybe i just need to move away to a place where I'm not judged (as a white person) by the color of my skin."

I won't of course.

link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
Oh look, some researcher writes a report on "microaggressions" and then a political propaganda source makes sure to popularize it on the Internet so that the people they want to influence can be upset about it.

Which is worse?

The college students who report situations where they feel uncomfortable or the hysterical reaction of the people butthurt about it? Wake up fools. Out of control "political correctness" is a universal phenomena. Just as you're all shocked and dismayed by the content of the report, your reactions to it are equally indicative of your own brand of political correctness run amok.

So from what you are saying, a room full of blacks is "a macro aggression"?

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
I wonder if they did the same study with a white person walking into a room full of black people?

That's MACRO aggression.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Shocked and dismayed?
It's a joke, nothing more ,a ridiculous idea.
Not too emotionally moved by it myself, it's another example of reverse racism that should be called for what it is.
edit on 15-5-2015 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

I don't blame anyone, it's just a symptom of the current state of American society. Most white people would report being just as uncomfortable in many of these situations with the roles reversed. What bothers me is that a short-sighted researcher may end up doing more harm than good by reporting on it as though it's anything more than the transient phenomena it *should* be and that a "news" site with an overt political agenda is using it as a tool of further division.
edit on 2015-5-15 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on May, 15 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   
This behavior is known (and has been know for decades) as "social anxiety". It is completely unrelated to race/creed/gender. Heck, when I was a kid, I would feel it walking into a classroom the first day of school each year. At that point, you typically seek out a familiar face to connect with to ease the tension.

Are we, as a nation, so caught up in racial relations that we need to rename EVERYTHING based upon something you were born with, and have no control in changing (accepting Michael Jackson), just to appease someone's not-so-internal agenda?

I bet if you repeat the experiment in the following ways, you will get the same reaction reported:

• White kid walks into a room full of black kids
  • Fat kid walks into a room full of skinny kids
  • Kid walks into a room full of adults (of various races and genders)
  • Girl walks into a room full of boys
  • Boy walks into a room full of girls
  • Girl walks into a room full of unfamiliar girls (girls tend to be less accepting of new girls now a days)
  • Intelligent (i.e. nerdy) kid walks into a room full of athletes (i.e. jocks)
  • Do I really need to go on here????

I don't think my eyes can roll any further back in my head on this one....I wish dumb crap like this would just

edit on 5/15/2015 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7
And this is exactly what happens to a generation of kids that are brought up an a steady diet of fell good outcome based crap where they all got a medal for being that special little snowflake and never learned how to deal directly with issues.

Maybe this pansies surveyed can have a safety blanket given to them upon college registration and allow mommy/daddy to shadow them.

Morons. And here I thought the Hipster generation would be something to fear as I grow older....what an incorrect assumption that was.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace

originally posted by: Restricted
When we ignore it they say we don't understand or care.

It almost seems as if playing the race card is rewarded. Someone screems that they're offended, people walk on egg shells. Someone screems they were discriminated against, people bend over backwards to cater to them. That's why it's perpetuated behavior. It continues to be rewarded.

The problem I see is that when it comes to racial issues and social justice, the current discussion in the media and certain circles has ceased to be a mutual, critical, and calm discussion with safe space for all (reasonable) views.

It is almost as if, if any minority claims that something is a manifestation of prejudice or systemic racism, then everyone applauds. If anyone, even someone who is a veritable ally or works on these issues, disagrees out of simple accuracy or fairness, people will attack them as again either 1) Ignorant on history or racism 2) A closet racist 3) Or blinded by the all encompassing state of "white privilege."
edit on 15-5-2015 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: macman

The thing is ,I don't WANT them to feel that way ,all I wanted when I walked into a class like that, was to get through the damn class. I ran into some classes like that where they just bowed their heads or looked away when I said hello, I just shrugged and went about my buisness.
A telling question would be: What do THEY want white people to feel?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join