It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A room full of whites is a "Micro agression"

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

Which leads me to the same conclusion from my post. There is too much to lose by allowing racism to end. No more special treatment. No more using "discrimination" to get your way. No more "white privilidge" excuses. Those things are rewarded behaviors that allows people to get their way regardless of whether they're right or wrong.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7
Perhaps Charlie was right about the Race War.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I don't go out of my way to make anyone uncomfortable. Wasted energy.

originally posted by: cavtrooper7
A telling question would be: What do THEY want white people to feel?

As such I don't give a damn what THEY want. You want to be uncomfortable around me? That's on you.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Restricted
I'm surprised we're allowed to breathe.

If some of them had their way, we wouldn't be. Remember the website run by the guy who worked for the government?

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: InverseLookingGlass

originally posted by: intrepid
Well we could always go back to segregation.

And Genocide

Genocide is where this leads, and when you apologize for it, you are aiding and abetting it.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7

A telling question would be: What do THEY want white people to feel?

I could really care less what "they" want. It is their problem, not mine.

But the THEY in control want continued White Guilt and maybe to bow before all because we are white.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: MoreBeer

Do people doubt that the students felt the way they said they did or are they upset because they think the "evil liberal media" is responsible for these feelings? I'm sure that many black students do feel uncomfortable in these situations. I'd also guarantee that most white people would report many of the same feelings if the shoe was on the other foot. The reason that it's really more of an "issue" for black students is quite obvious — they're more likely to be in that situation because they are after all the minority.

My hypothesis is it has a lot to do with the relatively short amount of time since the end of segregation, the fact that our society remains largely segregated and the out of control use of identity politics by both the far right and the far left. Just as with the eventual integration of immigrant groups into American society over the past 150 years, given a few more generations we'll likely see a lot of these things resolve themselves.

That's why I don't think this sort of research can necessarily lead to anything useful and neither will getting up in arms about it.

edit on 2015-5-15 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ugmold

That would be too bad most of the primary combatants are white.
It would destroy my country as well.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

Which leads me to the same conclusion from my post. There is too much to lose by allowing racism to end. No more special treatment. No more using "discrimination" to get your way. No more "white privilidge" excuses. Those things are rewarded behaviors that allows people to get their way regardless of whether they're right or wrong.

The thing is, there still is real racism against minorities, and there are the still continuing effects of systemic racism, which include a much higher proportion of people of color being impoverished, under-educated, incarcerated, etc. This is all well documented and studied.

While this is true, I as an ally, liberal, and guy who has worked on these issues think that the movement has gone a bit too far at certain times, including in situations like the OP. It's the same when I hear a POC or even white person make over-generalized or stereotypical statements about all White people. That is an abuse of the history and is not only hateful and simply reactive but also divisive.

Again, the problem is if someone publicly disagrees with such things, the actual topic will not be fairly assessed but instead the person may be insulted or dismissed. I have some people from grad school who began snubbing me after I questioned on FB someone's post saying that "only white people can be racist."
edit on 15-5-2015 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
Oh look, some researcher writes a report on "microaggressions" and then a political propaganda source makes sure to popularize it on the Internet so that the people they want to influence can be upset about it.

Which is worse?

The college students who report situations where they feel uncomfortable or the hysterical reaction of the people butthurt about it? Wake up fools. Out of control "political correctness" is a universal phenomena. Just as you're all shocked and dismayed by the content of the report, your reactions to it are equally indicative of your own brand of political correctness run amok.

Oh, good grief!

I'm an introvert. My whole life is one long series of microaggression the entire world commits against me simply because there are other people there.

And literally NO ONE cares. You know why? Because it is considered abnormal and wrong to be introverted. People are supposed to be bright, bubbly, social and outgoing by nature, so when you don't want to socialize, people look at you funny. That and I don't conform to any known victim class.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: WonOunce
This is getting out of control.

I stopped using the present tense long ago.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I agree with you on all counts.

I'm sure all manners of people feel anxiety or paranoia within certain groups. It is also possible that for a minority, being alone in a group of others may be worse due to historic racism.

However, as you said it seems to be more of a universal human experience rather than a white/black thing. Hence, when the media or researchers mis-characterize the experience as microaggression and only what Blacks can experience from a group of whites, it is fallacious and actually hides the nature of our universal psychology. It also divides us further.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Look, I feel uncomfortable in that situation. So why is it any worse just because a black student feels uncomfortable in that situation?

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I'm introverted too but if I don't smile ,resembling a Klingon, they think I am ANGRY all time.
What you see me typing here is not who you would meet if you met me I don't say that much to others.
I don't want them scared either,so I try to smile.
edit on 15-5-2015 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: theantediluvian

Look, I feel uncomfortable in that situation. So why is it any worse just because a black student feels uncomfortable in that situation?

I think we should claim that we feel discriminated against as introverts. It's a struggle few understand.

You don't smile, you're labeled depressed. You don't laugh, people say you're mad. You don't want to be around people sometimes, you're labeled a recluse. You can't win.
edit on 5/15/2015 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Do people doubt that the students felt the way they said they did or are they upset because they think the "evil liberal media" is responsible for these feelings? I'm sure that many black students do feel uncomfortable in these situations. I'd also guarantee that most white people would report many of the same feelings if the shoe was on the other foot. The reason that it's really more of an "issue" for black students is quite obvious — they're more likely to be in that situation because they are after all the minority.

My hypothesis is it has a lot to do with the relatively short amount of time since the end of segregation, the fact that our society remains largely segregated and the out of control use of identity politics by both the far right and the far left. Just as with the eventual integration of immigrant groups into American society over the past 150 years, given a few more generations we'll likely see a lot of these things resolve themselves.

That's why I don't think this sort of research can necessarily lead to anything useful and neither will getting up in arms about it.

Exactly. My first post on this thread said "this is a tempest in a teapot", which it is. Whites are a majority in the U.S., and things will continue this way until they are no longer the majority. It is what it is. Our friends who are in minority groups know this. It's not like we can do anything about it, and honestly just because a few students have commented on it doesn't mean it is some big "social issue" that we need to try to correct, and I'm sure most people are aware of that.

Nothing whatsoever to get in an uproar about. For pity's sake.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Stars for all the introverts.

edit on 5/15/2015 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

Lol, the whites in the picture look like they are plotting to take over the world, when in reality they are trying to solve world hunger, sigh.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
Well we could always go back to segregation.

I hope not. I am half white and half mexican. Where would I go. My current girlfriend is white. My ex wife is white. My girlfriend before that was black. The one before that was asian. My son looks white. I look more mexican. If we segregate by race that would suck for me. I prefer living in places that are ethnically diverse. Plus I do not speak spanish.

edit on 15-5-2015 by karmicecstasy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: karmicecstasy

Sounds like you would enjoy Canada.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   

I didn't expect a reply!

I figured one good trolling deserves another.

You have to be out of your god damn mind if you find ANY value in this study.

Just more hate on whitey micro aggression bs.
edit on 15-5-2015 by MoreBeer because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join