It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is it so difficult to Believe in Aliens?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   

"Sorry but it is nonsense, if you believe alien life can evolve on other planets, but won't be able to travel between stars....

Where is the logic in this... if we are already venturing into space, and considering FTL technologies, you are saying to me that we are the cutting edge of technology in the universe????"

We just dont know .The laws of the universe regarding the speed of light might just be unmovable. Even by beings or ourselves thousands of years in the future. This line of argument is moot since its all speculation.

the fact is, that our current level of understanding of the laws of physics do not allow for it. So, that coupled with the smoking gun of no evidence means that alien visits are unlikely.

See..the difference between you and me is that you are assuming that they CAN break through these constraints. Im admitting that we have no way of knowing, Maybe they can, maybe they cant. Either way, there is no evidence of their existance or vists here on earth...so its a moot point. But you should stop assuming that you KNOW that they can/have.

edit on 13-4-2015 by 3danimator2014 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   
You want to make fun of religious followers that bend their science to conform to their beliefs, how many of you are guilty of the same thing! It seems like the human condition...

You want to believe firmly that alien life exists elsewhere in the world and cling to science backing it up with evolution, but don't want to believe they can travel between stars given the scientific reasoning!!!

Ohhhhhh the contradiction.
edit on 13-4-2015 by ISeekTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: 3danimator2014

I am not assuming anything, please can I ask you to scroll up a few posts and actually read what I wrote.

I almost wrote a small thesis for you on circumventing, NOT breaking laws. But you are reluctant to read what I post, so why bother talking to you.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: ISeekTruth101

originally posted by: JadeStar

^^^^^ This....

Most people at this point feel there is probably life and perhaps even civilizations on other planets. Every star in the sky has planets as they are just the byproduct of star formation. And new research suggests every star has at least 1 planet in its habitable zone.

Life may be easy. And we may soon detect simple life on other words.

Intelligent life, stuff that build space ships is likely more rare. The dinosaurs were around for millions of years and never evolved into an intelligent, space-faring civilization.

And even if they had, travel between the stars is not ever likely to be the trivial matter most UFOs as Alien people believe it is.

I am open to aliens, but i always stay down to Earth

It is always a good idea to do this. There's nothing wrong with an open mind but the best open mind is also a skeptical mind.

i am not going to see the proof of Aliens in my life time, so i can only imagine them.

Don't be so sure of that. Plan on living another 20 or 30 years? NASA is confident that we'll have evidence of life beyond earth within the next 10-30 years.

Constant imagination becomes boring after a while, and you just want that one fact that can change imagination in to reality

That's what science is for and you can get involved!
There are plenty of citizen science programs in which you can help the various aspects of piecing the puzzle together which will eventually form a picture of life elsewhere in the universe.

Everything from analyzing Kepler data, to looking at images for planet-forming discs around young stars to setting up a small (6-10 inch) telescope to detect Jupiter sized exoplanets.

If you are interested in any of this stuff, let me know.

Sorry but it is nonsense, that if you believe alien life can evolve on other planets, but won't be able to travel between stars...

Where is the logic in this... if we are already venturing into space, and considering FTL technologies, you are saying to me that we are the cutting edge of technology in the universe????

Make your minds up. It's either the possibility that alien life doesn't exist and cannot travel between stars or they do exist and can travel between stars.

Dinosaurs is a bad example, I mean look at us today? How many millions of years has it been? How are young are we compared to the next planet or galaxy??? Let's do some math.

Maybe...... just maybe we're the first forms of life to be able comprehend what the universe is. Maybe it'll be us who are the ones who will be the ones coming with some mother ship and sitting over some life forms primitive city creating mass panic, 'independence day' style. Who really knows?

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   

You want to make fun of religious followers that bend their science to conform to their beliefs, how many of you are guilty of the same thing! It seems like the human condition...

You want to believe firmly that alien life exists elsewhere in the world and cling to science backing it up with evolution, but don't want to believe they can travel between stars given the scientific reasoning!!!

Oh just go bug someone else. You are deliberately not understanding what i'm saying. Im bored of repeating myself. Take care.
edit on 13-4-2015 by 3danimator2014 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3danimator2014

We just dont know .The laws of the universe regarding the speed of light might just be unmovable. Even by beings or ourselves thousands of years in the future. This line of argument is moot since its all speculation.

the fact is, that our current level of understanding of the laws of physics do not allow for it. So, that coupled with the smoking gun of no evidence means that alien visits are unlikely.

See..the difference between you and me is that you are assuming that they CAN break through these constraints. Im admitting that we have no way of knowing, Maybe they can, maybe they cant. Either way, there is no evidence of their existance or vists here on earth...so its a moot point. But you should stop assuming that you KNOW that they can/have.

You do realise that we have theories today, by NASA, that might even be implemented soon, by NASA, regarding FTL - Faster than light travel.

No one is breaking the law here, and none of these scientists are trying to break the law. We are just looking for ways around it.

Hence alien civilisations may have already found a way around it, and implemented, and have been visiting earth.

If I have a car, I can use to drive somewhere.

It is a strong possibility.
edit on 13-4-2015 by ISeekTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Oh just go bug someone else. You are deliberately not understanding what i'm saying. Im bored of repeating myself. Take care.

Hahahaha, my god you are one confused individual. Are you on drugs?

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: ISeekTruth101

Yes, i know that. And you would know that if you read what i wrote and weren't trying top be obtuse. This really is my last reply to you mate. i'm leaving work to go home and i'm not going to reply to this thread anymore. You had your fun, you were difficult and got me to play along. Well done.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

originally posted by: JadeStar

^^^^^ This....

Most people at this point feel there is probably life and perhaps even civilizations on other planets. Every star in the sky has planets as they are just the byproduct of star formation. And new research suggests every star has at least 1 planet in its habitable zone.

Life may be easy. And we may soon detect simple life on other words.

Intelligent life, stuff that build space ships is likely more rare. The dinosaurs were around for millions of years and never evolved into an intelligent, space-faring civilization.

And even if they had, travel between the stars is not ever likely to be the trivial matter most UFOs as Alien people believe it is.

I am open to aliens, but i always stay down to Earth

It is always a good idea to do this. There's nothing wrong with an open mind but the best open mind is also a skeptical mind.

i am not going to see the proof of Aliens in my life time, so i can only imagine them.

Don't be so sure of that. Plan on living another 20 or 30 years? NASA is confident that we'll have evidence of life beyond earth within the next 10-30 years.

Constant imagination becomes boring after a while, and you just want that one fact that can change imagination in to reality

That's what science is for and you can get involved!
There are plenty of citizen science programs in which you can help the various aspects of piecing the puzzle together which will eventually form a picture of life elsewhere in the universe.

Everything from analyzing Kepler data, to looking at images for planet-forming discs around young stars to setting up a small (6-10 inch) telescope to detect Jupiter sized exoplanets.

If you are interested in any of this stuff, let me know.

Sorry but it is nonsense, that if you believe alien life can evolve on other planets, but won't be able to travel between stars...

Where is the logic in this... if we are already venturing into space, and considering FTL technologies, you are saying to me that we are the cutting edge of technology in the universe????

Make your minds up. It's either the possibility that alien life doesn't exist and cannot travel between stars or they do exist and can travel between stars.

Dinosaurs is a bad example, I mean look at us today? How many millions of years has it been? How are young are we compared to the next planet or galaxy??? Let's do some math.

Maybe...... just maybe we're the first forms of life to be able comprehend what the universe is. Maybe it'll be us who are the ones who will be the ones coming with some mother ship and sitting over some life forms primitive city creating mass panic, 'independence day' style. Who really knows?

You are totally right, I never said this is not the case, but while the possibility of what I put forward remains...a possibility.

It can also be just as true, and this all I have been saying thus far based on the fact that many members here accept that life exists out there, it definitely means that we could be among the youngest just as well as the oldest civilisations in the universe.

Thus, we could be being visited by Alien life that use means of transportation THAT DO NOT BREAK THE LAWS WE CURRENTLY HAVE IN SCIENCE.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   

a reply to: ISeekTruth101

Yes, i know that. And you would know that if you read what i wrote and weren't trying top be obtuse. This really is my last reply to you mate. i'm leaving work to go home and i'm not going to reply to this thread anymore. You had your fun, you were difficult and got me to play along. Well done.

Please visit the doctor on you way home. I have not tried to be difficult, as I read your post's entirely, I cannot say that you have returned the favour.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: SPECULUM

"Why is it so difficult to Believe in Aliens?"

Because we as a species could no longer perceive ourselves as the "be all and end all" of our universe. That's a hard concept for us Humans to swallow simply because we have known no other sentient race other than our own in recorded history.

Then there is the religious implications to consider. People are willing to die to defend their nonsensical religious ideologies, even in this information age. Imagine how devastated a significant proportion of those very same people would be and how they would react should any Alien race decide to make its self know?

Another thing that would probably help would be undisputed evidence or there actual existence.

edit on 13-4-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Because we as a species could no longer perceive ourselves as the "be all and end all" of our universe. That's a hard concept for us Humans to swallow simply because we have known no other sentient race other than our own in recorded history.

I think the idea that there is intelligent life elsewhere in the universe is already a commonly-help opinion among most people (at least people who have a moderate enough education to understand the size of the universe). I don't think those people (again, the "common man") necessarily feels that they are the "be all and end all" of our universe.

By the way, I think the premise of "Why is it so difficult to Believe in Aliens?" is a strawman argument anyway. I think most people do believe in intelligent life elsewhere in the universe.

I'm not saying most people believe that ET is visiting Earth in spaceships, because that's a different argument altogether. I'm just saying that the common person who understands the size of the universe probably feels that there is almost certainly other intelligent life out there somewhere. Even if they feel that intelligent life is very rare, the universe is vast enough that other intelligence exists.

edit on 4/13/2015 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I do think that maybe there's another earth like planet with other humans all wondering whether or not there are other populated planets too.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   

It's not difficult to believe in Aliens it's difficult to PROVE they visit does that help.

I believe 100% Aliens are out there, but does Mog from Zog visit or has he visited I don't think so, the same numbers that make a universe full of life make it difficult for them to exist at the same time and close enough to each other to visit.

The other side of our own Galaxy is around 75,000 light years from us, so it's all about how long civilizations exist and develop and the distance in relation to others that's the problem.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Then there is the religious implications to consider. People are willing to die to defend their nonsensical religious ideologies, even in this information age. Imagine how devastated a significant proportion of those very same people would be and how they would react should any Alien race decide to make its self know?

Another thing that would probably help would be undisputed evidence or there actual existence.

Dont think religion would care in the least simply change the rules like they did in the past. If intelligent beings were discovered, they would also be considered "part of creation." And as far as Humans thinking we are it in the universe that idea is disappearing quickly despite the lack of evidence. Why simple answer science were learning that life isnt this mystical magical thing but happens under conditions. If this is true then of course we arent the only intelligent species still an if here though. Science hasnt been able to show when these conditions occur or if they do. What i will say is intelligent species capable of leaving their planet will be rear. An Intelligent species capable of leaving the solar system even rarer.

There may be only one other species in the entire galaxy that has actually left their planet if we ever meet depends on the distances involved. new estimates of our galaxy 150,000–180,000 light-years." But aside from that they could be 200 light years away and never know we were here. People think there is a beacon leading to earth saying here we are. Truth is we are in the backwoods area of the galaxy there is no sign post saying we are here. So an advanced civilization wouldnt even bother coming here we just arent that important. There is nothing to distinguish our solar system from the millions of others.

The only thing i can think of is if they happen to be driving by but that would mean there is huge interstellar travel going on we should be able to see something than. And just to stop an argument ive heard before any radio signals leaving earth become indistinguishable from background noise after just a couple of light years thanks to the inverse square law. In order to send a signal over a vast distance of space requires a tight band emissions with lots of power.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: UnBreakable

I see, thank you kindly for your explanation i'll look into this more. I was unaware.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   

It's not, not really.

I certainly believe in aliens. I have a bit of trouble thinking they're visiting us on a regular basis, or even an irregular basis.

Alien life Out There? Got no problem with that at all.

There's life here on Terra Firma that's as alien to us as anything we're ever likely to discover on other worlds... Again, no problem what so ever.

I guess someday, maybe sooner rather than later, we just may find out for sure...

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Because they are itinerant liars.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Why is it hard to believe in Aliens?

Because of humankinds ignorance and arrogance.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 05:27 PM
link   

I didn't say they wouldn't be able to. I said that it probably is not ever likely to be a trivial matter. The space between even our nearest stars and us is huge.

It's not impossible to travel to the stars, we already know of ways to send things at say 10% of the speed of light (various design studies like Project Daedalus, Project Longshot, etc) but in order for there to be the type of routine travel between the stars the UFO crowd believe there is then there would have to be both:

a) A very high density of neighbors distributed both spatially (relative close to us) and temporally (existing at the same moment in our galaxy's history). Other civilizations would have to dot the Milky Way galaxy like sprinkles on a donut and survive for millions to billions of years for us to be lucky enough to encounter one. Which is fine but we see no evidence of this in astronomical or other data hence "The Fermi Paradox".

b) The method of travel would have to be near the speed of light or some how bypass the speed of light entirely using some sort of space warp/space folding technology. That's fine of course until you actual do the math on what kinds of energy you have to produce to do those things as a viable means of transport. Warping space would also warp light around an object. This is called "gravitational microlensing" (google it) and we observe natural microlensing in astronomy all the time. However what we have never observed is anything like artificial microlensing due to something like a warp drive or wormhole. If such technology were in use anywhere in our neighborhood (from our inner Solar System, say out to 300 light years) we would have observed it by now multiple times.

As such it doesn't look like anyone is warping space, folding space, using wormholes or even using relativistic rockets anywhere near us.

So yes, life may be common but intelligent life less so, technological intelligent life even more rare, interstellar travelling technological life even more rare than that.

It's fun to imagine stuff but it's productive and scientifically relevant to actually investigate and calculate stuff.

Where is the logic in this... if we are already venturing into space,

We've barely done so.

and considering FTL technologies

Which are still in the realm of science fiction until proven otherwise. Try not to confuse science with sci-fi/sci-fantasy.

you are saying to me that we are the cutting edge of technology in the universe????

Of course not. However the universe has physical laws which are fairly well understood and universal in nature. The same laws will apply to aliens as apply to us the same energy requirements to travel near the speed of light or warp space to get around the speed of light will be required of any civilization regardless of the way they measure it or what kinds of energy they have access to.

Those energy requirements are not trivial so space travel between stars is probably not that trivial either. That's not speculation. That's physics.

Nope, you're linking two things which probably should not be linked.

Did dinosaurs travel to the stars? They were probably "alien life" to someone else for millions of years.....

Dinosaurs is a bad example, I mean look at us today?

Ok, don't like dinos? How about dolphins? For everything we know about dolphins and cetaceans indicates they have the marks of intelligence: language and communication, advanced social structures, etc

They've also been around longer than we humans.... Millions of years longer... Why didn't they you know, just evolve to get out of the oceans and fly in flying saucers? After all, their ancestors 55 million years ago lived on land, so why didn't they just return to land and build great cities well before us humans?

After all, they had plenty of time right?

Perhaps it is because technological intelligence is not inevitable.

Perhaps it is because you make a lot of assumptions which oversimplify things.

Evolutionary biology is hard.

Astrophysics are hard.

How many millions of years has it been? How are young are we compared to the next planet or galaxy??? Let's do some math.

I and other astronomers have done that match and you're right we are young compared to most of our galaxy. It's a point I made on this forum and the space exploration one countless times.

However where your "logic" goes off the rails is assuming that life always leads to intelligent life (we don't know this, so you can't know this either) or that intelligent life always leads to technological intelligent life (we don't know this, so you can't know this either).

And then you assume the distribution of technological, space-faring species is both dense spatially (all around us nearby) and temporally (being long lived enough that it's still around).

Lots of assumptions in your "logic". Too many for it to be considered sound reasoning. It's great speculation though.
edit on 13-4-2015 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join