It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Elections

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

originally posted by: Soloprotocol
Were coming to get ye...

Did you see the part where they ask how many of the delegates are there for the first time and a sea of hands are raised?
Regardless of anyone's views on independence I think the increased participation in politics post referendum is a truly wonderful thing.

Yeah, The people are waking up. Finally. Hopefully it's infectious and spreads into all parts of the UK. Somethings gotta give or we are all doomed..DOOMED i tell ye. ..Corporal Fraser.
edit on 1-4-2015 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I had a very close family member who was a councillor in Cambridge, before councillors ever received any kind of salary or other payments for their work but sadly he died in 1996. His door was open 24/7 in an age before everyone even had a telephone. He was a true man of the people and caused quite a stink many times and was even kicked out of the Labour party, more than once, for not towing the line. He just stood as an independent and won because people knew they could believe in what he said! He couldn't become an MP because he was Irish but it never stopped him from always standing up for what he believed to be right regardless of which side of the 'house' he might upset.

Here's something I found online about him but I have a whole scrap book full of articles taken from the Cambridge Evening News so this is just a small part of what he did.

"Most colourful of all was Paddy Reilly, an Irish-born painter and hospital porter, known as a left-wing firebrand. As a councillor in the 1950s and 1960s, he provoked controversy and, in some conservative quarters, outrage for his actions - such as refusing to wear robes in the Council Chamber, playing football on city fields during Sunday closures, and threatening to paint pedestrian crossings on roads when he considered that the council was not acting fast enough."

The reason he refused to wear robes in the Council Chamber was because the local tax payers paid for them and he couldn't see why they should pay. He played football on the local recs because it was banned on Sundays and he just couldn't see why young children and adults shouldn't be able to be outside playing on their local recs when they had a day off. He threatened to paint the zebra crossing on the road in the village he lived in because they'd built houses on the other side of a busy main road that children needed to cross to get to and from school. The council just didn't want to pay for it but to him it wasn't a question of money it was a question of a child's life. They did eventually install the crossing. Remember he did all of this and loads, loads more and he didn't get paid a penny or claim any expenses. He gave his time to his community because he wanted to.

We need more politicians that are prepared to stand up for what they truly believe is right and not just tow the party line and worry about losing their position, their 'power' and their pay packet. We need politicians that take that career because it's a passion. I don't care what side of the 'house' they sit on if they're that kind of politician. Paddy told me that even when he had really heated arguments in Chambers, afterwards he'd be quite happy to chat and have a drink with the 'enemy' because he respected their opinion and that they were prepared to fight so hard for what they believed in. I've grown up viewing politicians, actually all people, that way - if they'll stand by what they believe in then they deserve my respect even if I don't agree with them!
edit on 1-4-2015 by Maya00a because: spelling

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: blupblup

That poster about sums it up world wide for conservatism the truth is wealth goes from the 99 percentile to the one percentile not the other way round mark my words they are coming after your bank deposits and retirement funds...soon

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: blupblup

That Poster needs the following title.

WE GOVERN FOR THE FEW AT THE EXPENSE OF THE MANY.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I'd just like to add that we're absolutely f**king screwed. And it's all the fault of the idiots that keep voting. The system is a scam. Wake up ffs.

Don't like my opinion? That's unlucky. Freedom of speech. Deal with it.

I will not ever go with the star-whoring crap you see on here. I speak my mind. Deal with it.

Thread's full of fanasists.
edit on 1 4 15 by SensiblyReckless because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: SensiblyReckless
I'd just like to add that we're absolutely f**king screwed. And it's all the fault of the idiots that keep voting. The system is a scam. Wake up ffs.

I will not ever go with the star-whoring crap you see on here. I speak my mind. Deal with it.

Any idea how we change things..Down the barrel of a gun maybe. ?

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

Yes, stop voting for them. They would have no choice but to change things if nobody voted.

No guns, no violence.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol

Any idea how we change things..Down the barrel of a gun maybe. ?

Shhhhhhh

You will start those blasted Americans off......

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

I'm assuming that you're Scottish judging by your avatar.

Purely out of interest - what was your opinion on Scottish independence?

Personally, I wanted Scotland to have the chance to be free of the tyranny that is the British government. You guys have the worst poverty in the UK, and it's made that way. Cameron doesn't care about you, he just wanted to keep the power. He'll sell you all this crap about a united kingdom, but it's all BS. Power over the Scottish is what he cared about.

Can you vote for that? I can assure you that they all have the same agenda and it's pointless who you vote for.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Those blasted Americans are even worse off than us. They have a "choice" of two different political parties LOL

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   

a reply to: crazyewok

Those blasted Americans are even worse off than us. They have a "choice" of two different political parties LOL

Yeah but you shouldn't mention the G world in a British thread.

Trouble ensures

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I think us British folk can resolve these issues without shooting people.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Unless you're a Metropolitan Police officer and a black guy has a phone in his hand.

Then he obviously has to be shot dead

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Unless you're a Metropolitan Police officer and a black guy has a phone in his hand.

Then he obviously has to be shot dead

Thats kinda a internatinal rule it seems not a British tradition

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to: crazyewok

Now we really don't need that ! Pesky Merkins shooting at shadows !
Two party politics! whatever next ? ah wait up! We've had that for quite a few years now. OK old Cam n Cleggys conservalib party and the Laborious milliband party are as we all know are one in the same, Greens are washed up old hippies still on a high not just from all the ganja but getting a seat in Brighton, how did that happen?

UKIP............

I think we should go back to having Barons and lots of crusades.. Quests for the grail ....... oh for the dark ages!
Not much difference to now really.. Is screaming Lord such still around?

I hate them all, self important, self inflating windbags. The real world is over here!

Just my halfpennys worth

Regards
Git

edit on 2-4-2015 by completenuttergit because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: SensiblyReckless

Sadly I don't think it's that easy. If no one voted then I'm 99.9% sure the prior government would automatically still remain in place as there'd be no change in seats etc...and in lieu of a new vote, the old results would be the next considered - though as far as I'm aware this has never happened so isn't enshrined in law to be the case, it's just an uncodified response so my interpretation may well be wrong.

Parties have repeatedly proven they lie in manifestos, promises etc while MPs have generally proven themselves to think they're above the law, corrupt and the whole thing seems more centred around helping mates, taking bribes or pleasing private party donors than serving the public at the moment so the public actively denying themselves what precious little say they have is just shooting themselves in the foot.
edit on 2-4-2015 by bastion because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: teapot

originally posted by: uncommitted

originally posted by: teapot

originally posted by: uncommitted
a reply to: teapot

Sorry, the only answer I can dignify you with is being a 'slave' earning £250,000 a week is an interesting concept. You are talking about some very specific examples, not the one I plucked out as an example.

Historically, the high wages culture is because of the slavery element.

If you want to use Russel Brand (I plucked him as an example), then his latest publication is neither here nor there, it just goes to show he doesn't need the money (ETA) from this particular publication.

He (or any other popular commentator) could have chosen to do something more selfish with the money! Attempting to use these type figures to prove a point about how it was not only the banking industry working with sitting politicians to rip us all off was a diversion that I somehow could not ignore!

Gordon brown didn't introduce Gift Aid though, you might want to check. Last time I looked it was John Major (ETA it was John Major, Brown made a change, but certainly didn't introduce it).

I stand corrected, thank you for the info! Of course it was the Tories that devised this further intrusion into peoples' finances! I had wondered why it was that under the 'austerity' regime they have imposed upon the poorest in society, no savings have been made by abolishing Gift Aid. Not that I know exactly how it works or if it can be used to further reduce taxes paid by certain individuals.

What on Earth are you on about? You were all for gift aid but now you see the Tories devised it you are against it??? (ETA) and it hasn't been abolished, I gave last month and pledged gift aid, the same as I do when I donate clothes/books just like I did 20 years ago. Sheesh, you might want to keep digging to find something that actually has merit.

I am on about government intrusion into people's personal finances. I was not for Gift Aid when I thought Brown had introduced it and learning my mistake, I am still not for Gift Aid!

Of course Gift Aid has some merit but to assume the policy was ever just about charitable giving and had nothing to do with further incursion and intrusion is, IMO, naïve. Donating used goods, meaning the charity receives additional funding from the taxman is all well and good but that funding is only made possible because you are a UK taxpayer and must give this information relating to your tax status to the charity you make the original donation to. I know it all seems innocuous, but is it?

It doesn't sound innocuous, it sounds like you haven't a clue what you are talking about. You don't reveal your tax status to the charity at any point - what on Earth are you on about and why did you praise it when you thought Labour had introduced is, but hate it now you know the Conservatives did? Not a hard question to answer is it?

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: blupblup

That would be almost clever if it was anything like a reflection on the 2010 - 2015 government and didn't reflect the actions of the previous one. Do you think zero hours contracts are new? Nope, were in place for 13 years under Labour and I can't recall any action on them at the time.

No NHS? Bollox, how do you work that out? Use of private companies has risen by 1% in the last 5 years, and arguably if a service can be delivered better, faster, cheaper and at the minimum as safely (where that applies) then why is that an issue?

I could go on, but I'm not an apologist for any political party, I just find it ridiculous when people will believe the rubbish that is trotted out as soundbites without making sure they know the actual facts.

Tax breaks for the richest? Labour raised to 50% a whole 6 MONTHS before the previous election in a desparate effort to claw back some votes, why do people not remember that?

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: uncommitted

Yeah I was on a zero hour contract from 2007-2008 when at uni.

And quite frankly it was a god send as could work around my studies.

I did not want full time work or fixed hours.
If milliband had his way back then I likely would not have afforded my studies without that job.

Eliminating them completly would be a mistake.

But I do think they are overused and they are not jobs you can live off so its wrong to force people onto them when they have familys to support.

I think zero hours serve a valuble purpose.
But they need to be managed better.
edit on 2-4-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
a reply to: uncommitted

Yeah I was on a zero hour contract from 2007-2008 when at uni.

And quite frankly it was a god send as could work around my studies.

I did not want full time work or fixed hours.
If milliband had his way back then I likely would not have afforded my studies without that job.

Eliminating them completly would be a mistake.

But I do think they are overused and they are not jobs you can live off so its wrong to force people onto them when they have familys to support.

I think zero hours serve a valuble purpose.
But they need to be managed better.

Thing is, I don't think Milliband would be making such a big deal about this if he didn't think it was something that might scrape a few votes and I don't think he's thought it through at all. Makes a half decent soundbite for the news without thinking it through. Having to rely on a zero hour contract to feed family etc..... I personally think up to a number of paid hours shouldn't affect benefit, but then I think that is actually the case anyway, it is then essentially a part time job. I'm also not sure it's the governments place to tell business who to employ and how, but they should create an environment where business has opportunities.

What I find really sad is looking at lists such as the one I commented on and then reflecting what the labour government did about them when it had a chance - or actually to a fairly significant extent - caused them in the first place.

Politics eh?

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join