It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Elections

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: Soloprotocol

I no more believe the French consul general than I do any British politician , personally I think it would suit the SNP to have 5 more years of Tory rule.

Why..?

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

Depends what you mean by why ? , here's an answer to both.

Because they're politicians.
How do you know when a politician is lying ? , his lips move.

The SNP would prefer a Tory government because it will give them more opportunity for conflict with said government , the No vote is not the end of the independence debate in their view.

edit on 4-4-2015 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 01:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: bastion
a reply to: SensiblyReckless

Sadly I don't think it's that easy. If no one voted then I'm 99.9% sure the prior government would automatically still remain in place as there'd be no change in seats etc...and in lieu of a new vote, the old results would be the next considered - though as far as I'm aware this has never happened so isn't enshrined in law to be the case, it's just an uncodified response so my interpretation may well be wrong.

Parties have repeatedly proven they lie in manifestos, promises etc while MPs have generally proven themselves to think they're above the law, corrupt and the whole thing seems more centred around helping mates, taking bribes or pleasing private party donors than serving the public at the moment so the public actively denying themselves what precious little say they have is just shooting themselves in the foot.

Yep.. It's certainly wouldn't be simple, and I'm sure the establishment would fight to keep their power.

But that's when mass civil disobedience comes in and we collectively tell them NO. No we will not be ruled by any of the current gangs of professional criminals.

What could they really do if the entire UK gave them the middle finger? Not much. It would be over for them.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 05:02 AM
link   
I spent a few years working as an immigration advisor just as cameron came into office and to be fair both new labour and the tories completely messed it up.

It makes no sense at all for foreign students to come here, pay ridiculously high uni fees that can run into hundreds of thousands and then be sent home after becoming a newly qualified potential asset to the country but that's essentially what happened when the tier 1 general and post study work visas were scrapped. Now their only hope is to be an entrepeneur which means they need an obscene amount of money to start a business or any company they work for has to pay thousands to the government for a license under tier 2 to sponsor them which covers some very strange and specific occupations.

Most small companies that would benefit from these people simply can't afford the additional expense and headache of obtaining a license, there are even NHS trusts that don't cover them which is insane. I had one client that spent 6 years training to be a neurosurgeon only to have to return to China and another one that was a paediatrician who returned to Moldova, both would've been a huge benefit to the country doing high paid highly skilled jobs and paying large amounts of tax.

Then you've also got situations where brits are directly screwed over, if you have a foreign non EU spouse or kids you're means tested if you want them to come here and live with you. Minimum salary requirement £18600 or £22000 with one child and the application costs nearly a grand. If you're an EU national you can bring your entire family over for 50quid per person with no salary requirements at all. Insanity.

Also, whenever you hear a politician say they're going to negotiate with the EU for more powers or that they can implement blocks on EU migration without leaving the eurozone it's a lie. The legislation that we signed onto is pretty clear in that regard
that we won't receive any concessions. Even leaving the EU would be a legal minefield that I'm not sure can be pulled off despite all the rhetoric.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: SensiblyReckless
I like a bit of direct action/civil disobedience/protest myself if the cause is something I have passion for.
I expect my next to be over GM crops being grown on my island.
Labour, Conservatives, and Lib-Dems are all going to allow GM crops to go ahead in the next planting season... Greens, Plaid Cymru, SNP all against, and UKIP supporting a free vote in Parliament for all MP's.
Think deeply before choosing.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 03:03 AM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Really?

That really goes to show who the politicians are working for. Big corporate entities, and not the people of the UK.

That's a worthy cause for protest IMO. I don't want to eat that crap.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Some music to lighten the mood.... the day is almost upon us.

Hate Sky News but these are mildly amusing.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 05:01 AM
link   
a reply to: blupblup
They all deserve a slap with a frozen haddock.

I think that I have decided on who to vote for, but another opinion poll or too more would help. I'll be tactically voting towards another coalition. You cannot trust any of these lemons with the wheel.

edit on 5-5-2015 by Meduzi because:

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 05:24 AM
link   

edit on 5-5-2015 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 07:41 AM
link   

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   
This is how broken our electoral system is.

UKIP 13.6%: 2 seats
Lib Dem: 10.1%: 18 seats
Green: 5.1%: 1 seat

Therefore nearly 30% electorate get 21 seats whereas the SNP representing 4.1% of the electorate get 52 seats.

Sickening...

Stats courtesy of Electoralcalculus.co.uk
edit on 5-5-2015 by DAZ21 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 08:49 AM
link   

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 08:58 AM
link   

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   
One more for you. The future of England and the true face of Labour...segregation anyone?

I promise if you look hard enough there's definitely a white guy in the room. It is England and not Afghanistan I swear. lol
edit on 5-5-2015 by DAZ21 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: DAZ21

The tragedy is that the public actually voted against changing this. I have yet to meet anyone who could explain the First Past the Post system. When I explained it, they were surprised. That's what happens when people foolishly allow politicians to explain politics.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Meduzi

We'll sort it out after this GE I'm sure. We need proportional representation, or we'll always be ruled by the undemocratic elite.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 05:06 AM
link   
know your enemy

Do you really want this for another 5 years.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 05:19 AM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

Honestly? Whilst not ideal i would much rather have another 5 years of that than the Balls / Milliband alternative. They lie, they cheat and they still refuse to accept they made major mistakes whilst in power. They make the NHS a weapon. And whilst on the NHS, perhaps we should actually look at it.

Under the coalition we have 9500 more doctors, 7100 more nurses and 2100 more midwives. We have 7000 less senior managers (you know, the useless ones on loads of money for doing nothing). NHS productivity has increased by 1.6 per cent per year. Hospital infections have HALVED. Oh, and the real kicker for Labour (according to the British Social Attitudes survey) the NHS in England (only one entirely under the coalition) has an approval rating of 65% (2nd highest in NHS history) and a disatisfaction rating of 15% (lowest ever). These figures are worse for Wales (Labour run) and Scotland (SNP). This isn't bad considering the NHS is "in crisis".

Trying to turn a success into a negative is as unforgivable as taking to the country to war on a lie and for pretty much bankrupting us. I am looking forward to tomorrow and hoping for some specfic results, for example Balls losing his seat......that would make me laugh ever so much.....

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 05:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
know your enemy

Do you really want this for another 5 years.

I'm sure every one of us will be able to find some photos from our

youth that will be embarrassing to us now
... LOL!!

new topics

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18 >>

join